Rapido's Next UK Project - 3D Scan Party at Locomotion 8 April

rapidobill

Slight off topic, did either the APT-E or HST prototype ever run alongside the Blue Pullmans? I know the BPs were withdrawn in 1973 but I don't know when the HST prototype and the APT arrived on Western metals for testing.

I'm pretty certain that E-Train didn't,, I'd have surely noticed.  :no: 

The 252 set overlapped with the Pullmans so it's possible they could have been at Paddington together, but the Pullmans tended to operate on the Birmingham route IIRC. The E-train's three weeks on the Western Region started on the 21st July '75 and ended on 10th August. 

The 252 set entered service on the WR on 5th May '75 so there was ample opportunity for it to have been seen alongside the Pullmans I'd have thought.

• RMweb Gold

Methinks you are talking about Rapido's 3rd planned release, which has been scanned already, back in January. This was the one that has been all over the country.

The 4th scan next week is for something at Shildon, very probably from the National Collection. I reckon the prototype HST is as good a shout as any.......

• RMweb Premium

Kit is prepped and ready to go. Looking forward to meeting forum members that are swinging by on the day.

And no, I am NOT at liberty to discuss what's being scanned (before you ask).

:nono:

blogger-image--695395090.jpg

Are you going to scan Kit, aka Mr Tilt, so we can have a scale model of him at his desk? :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Are you going to scan Kit, aka Mr Tilt, so we can have a scale model of him at his desk? :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

Only if he can be rebuilt back to 1975 condition. Cosmetically at least.

Only if he can be rebuilt back to 1975 condition. Cosmetically at least.

Yeah, right.......

That'd mean losing a stone or three and multiplying the amount if hair I have now by TEN!  :O

Mind you, I still have the kipper tie I wore back then, or one of them at least. Not sure if the flares are still in the wardrobe though......

I seem to recall that if you went into C&A in Walsall in the 1970s and asked for a "kipper tie" you were told to go to the café down the street.

That's a Brummie pronunciation - it's really a cuppa 'tay

We didn't have to buy our ties in the APD.

One of the girls there, Joan, made them and gave them out for free! I had at least 6-7 at any one time, but they tended to get soaked in hydraulic oil quite often, not sure why...........  :no:

You can just see one of them in the pic, from the side. Note the trendy chequer pattern flares and the expansive gesture as I'm explaining where the hydraulic contamination has gone to Trevor Easton..... oh2XMy.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, right.......

That'd mean losing a stone or three and multiplying the amount if hair I have now by TEN!  :O

Mind you, I still have the kipper tie I wore back then, or one of them at least. Not sure if the flares are still in the wardrobe though......

A long time ago when the project first started I suggested the use of static grass as beards and hair for all the boffins

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, right.......

Is there a version of Photoshop that can work with a laser scan...........?

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

Guest spet0114

What is currently at the front of the museam? J21? S160 would be a good shout. I do hope it is an S160 and one that run in on the LNER is selected.

Remember, it has to be in the National Collection.....

Sterling is the obvious choice considering the new tender recently restored. If it does have to be National Collection owned there is not much left in there not currently available RTR so that or Hardwick? If it does not have to be National Collection owned my money would be S160. Something that would also appeal to many international modellers as well as domestic and I'm sure the NRM would benefit finanacially through significant sales worldwide.

Sterling is the obvious choice considering the new tender recently restored. If it does have to be National Collection owned there is not much left in there not currently available RTR so that or Hardwick? If it does not have to be National Collection owned my money would be S160. Something that would also appeal to many international modellers as well as domestic and I'm sure the NRM would benefit finanacially through significant sales worldwide.

Collectors worldwide, maybe.  But International modellers aren't likely to be interested in an OO model, so I don't thing worldwide sales would help at all.

Archived