jools1959

When were Class 42 Warships last used on the Waterloo - Exeters

Wow never knew Hymeks worked Shrewsbury - Aber! 37s certainly did in the early 60s and Hymeks worked Carmarthen to Aber

Kind regards

Phil

Phil, I think Jonny is saying they'd have been ideal for the line, not that they worked it.

As far as I know, they only got to Aberystwyth via Lampeter.

Cheers,

Steve

Sounds like the Hymek's were a diesel hydraulic that would have been worth keeping around into the 80's.

Considering a what-if scenario and by some wheeling and dealing the Western Region gets to keep the Hymeks.....was there any aspect that would have needed immediate attention (apart from the need for electric train heating) to keep them running.

Edited by rmwsn

Sounds like the Hymek's were a diesel hydraulic that would have been worth keeping around into the 80's.

Considering a what-if scenario and by some wheeling and dealing the Western Region gets to keep the Hymeks.....was there any aspect that would have needed immediate attention (apart from the need for electric train heating) to keep them running.

Dual-braking.

I can certainly recall seeing Caradoc, Diadem, Highflyer and Magpie on trains out of Waterloo, not long before the Warships disappeared into the misty west, never to return.

Kevin

Thirty one Hymeks are listed as withdrawn in January 1972.

What a sad end to members of a class that were ideal for cross country services, i.e. Cardiff - Portsmouth, Cardiff - Crewe,  Shrewsbury - Aberystwyth

And yet, eight years later Cardiff - Crewe services were still in the incapable hands of class 25s, struggling up the Welsh Marches gradients even with just 5 coaches (as I remember from experience).

And even worse - Hereford/Worcester - Paddingtons were handed over to 31's - 40 minute late arrivals were not uncommon

Useful gen on Waterloo - Exeter services here....

http://www.southernelectric.org.uk/features/historical-features/watexdieselops.html

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock