Dimensions of Hachette partwork Flying Scotsman tender body

I recently picked up a complete set of the Flying Scotsman partwork magazine, which had all the issues but was missing just the tender body which came with issue 88.  I started the build only last night, but I'm thinking ahead to the tender already.

Despite the Flying Scotsman being based on the DJH A3 kit, the magazine provided a injection moulded tender body.  Fortunately, it had no moulded detail and I have a 3D printer, so I can easily create one.

I think I can work out most of the dimensions of the tender body directly from other parts in the kit, but as a sanity check, could someone who has this kit (built or otherwise) quickly measure the length, height (both of the side wall and the maximum height of the back) and width of the tender body, as well as - perhaps most importantly - the thickness of the plastic?

I'll produce the various curves from drawings of the 1928 tender, but I don't necessary trust the actual body dimensions to be perfectly to scale (and the thickness of the moulding will have an impact on that), and I don't want to run into the problem of assuming it is to find out later it's slightly out.

I can measure the thickness of brass tender footplate and the beading, so if your kit is built and your measurements include the brass, I can work out the actual size of the plastic body from there.  

Thanks in advance for any help!

Carl.

I think I can work out most of the dimensions of the tender body directly from other parts in the kit, but as a sanity check, could someone who has this kit (built or otherwise) quickly measure the length, height (both of the side wall and the maximum height of the back) and width of the tender body, as well as - perhaps most importantly - the thickness of the plastic?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Carl.

Hi Carl

Here goes:-

Length overall - 164mm

Width - 61.75mm

Height on side wall - 49.5

Height at maximum on ends - 56mm

Plastic thickness - around 1.55/1.60mm

There are a number of other dimensions which may be of use, such as the cross member /front of the tender that is about 9mm back from the front of the tender at footplate level, and a small curve on the top edge of the sides. I will try to get some detailed close-ups tomorrow, and hopefully fill in any further dimensions when photographed. I will try to annotate some sketches tomorrowas well, then you can come back if you need anything further.

Regards

peter

Edit

P.S. if you're not in any great hurry to complete it might be worth waiting to see what the solution to the A4 is, if it's a similar body it will be available as a spare.

Edited by peter220950

Hi Peter,

Thanks for those, they're perfect! I didn't realise there was a small curve at the top of the sides, so thanks for mentioning that! I'll start to put together a 3D model based on the figures you've already given.

I have an unbuilt Finney 1928 corridor tender kit, so I can copy the curved cut outs of the top front of the sides from there (I hope, I've not actually looked!) and I'll match the curves on the vertical front of the sides to those on the rear of the cab. I can compare the dimensions you've given to that kit too, hopefully they'll be identical!

Also thanks for mentioning the tender that will accompany the Mallard partwork, you're likely to be right that the body of that tender will match, despite it probably being a non-corridor version (I assume they are modelling Mallard the day it broke the record.). I would hope to have the Flying Scotsman finished before the Mallard issue comes out, but I will definitely keep an eye out.

I'll look forward to your photos!

Regards,

Carl.

Carl,

are these any use to you? Have you asked Hachette if they have any back issues that contained the tender body moulding?

From below,

post-8920-0-82142500-1427328462.jpg

L/H side

post-8920-0-34332800-1427328463.jpg

R/H side

post-8920-0-88403500-1427328463.jpg

Front

post-8920-0-14472300-1427328465.jpg

Back small

post-8920-0-64815700-1427328465.jpg

post-8920-0-08366000-1427328466.jpg

Back big

post-8920-0-47775200-1427328466.jpg

OzzyO.

Thanks for that OzzyO, that saves me a bit of fiddling around.

I have also attached some photo's of the curved top part,

post-18627-0-85879700-1427361319_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-99473500-1427361312_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-34065500-1427361315_thumb.jpg

I had a further thought last night, there are a couple of unstarted ones in the roof, if you want to borrow one to copy just PM me with your address and I will send it over on loan.

I built mine to be able to paint the main body as a separate entity, as I think it might save a bit of masking.

post-18627-0-76339100-1427361306_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-78367600-1427361302_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-95246900-1427361308_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-05276000-1427361311_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-86806000-1427361304_thumb.jpg

I also opened up the middle wheel slots a bit, upwards, and put a brass wire across to give it a bit of springing.

post-18627-0-59752200-1427361317_thumb.jpg

Thanks for those guys, they are brilliant.

Ozzyo, those pictures will be invaluable I'm sure!  I haven't asked Hachette about back issues, I just assumed they wouldn't have any given the age of the series, but it can't hurt to ask.  I'll give them a call this morning.

I hadn't realised the tender could be built keeping the body separate, that approach seems ideal as presumably it would ensure I end up with the correct dimensions.  Peter, your offer to loan one of your unstarted ones is very kind.  I think what I'll do is move to building the tender, see if Hachette have any back issues, and if not, print the tender body.  I think I probably have everything I need to make an accurate enough version.  If I have any problems, I will take you up on your offer.

I'll start a thread when I start on this kit in anger, I'm still waiting on a few bits to turn up, I'll post a link here so you can see how I get on!

Thanks again guys.

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 29/06/2020 at 20:52, Pyro166 said:

Hi. Was wondering if anyone had any luck replicating the tender.  My dads just bought a full set but he is also missing issue 88. 

Thanks Simon.

Try scratch building the GN tender top? 

(Afraid my spare is squirrelled away in case a random box of A4 parts turn up at Yorkshire's favourite price!)

Having had a look this morning, the tender top is but a simple box. This could be made from 60thou Plastikard. The only tricky bits being the wrap round at the front and the slight flare to the top of the sides. An alternative would be to use sheet brass where the flares would be easier to form. The challenge being to get both sides from a single 10x4" sheet! Anyone who has got successfully this far with the Hachette challenge must have developed sufficient skills to make the tender box.

Edited by doilum
Additional information