Grime Street. An occasional picture thread. Leeds trams '48-'54.

Red Devil

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Preparations for the journey south to Peterborough in a week or so are unusually for me well advanced, quite a bit of detailing and refreshing work has been done with a fair bit more planned for over the weekend.

So if you're heading to the National Festival of Railway modelling at the East of England Showground next weekend please look out for us there, I'll probably be the one under the layout having a tant !

So far I haven't succumbed to doing anything stupid (like sawing the end off to fit a double junction with 2 weeks to go to an exhibition) As a taster here's a pair of Brush built Pivotal cars passing on the aforementioned junction

post-7067-0-98865300-1444427193.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Really enjoyed that video. The business in the long street view especially. Have you plans to populate all the trams with drivers, conductors and passengers?

Regards Shaun

Problem with that Shaun is that they reverse on the stub and passengers/drivers going backwards doesn't look right, that and board 4 under construction features a depot and they'll sort of run through that again doesn't look right....I suppose the answer will be to do some that operate one way leaving some of the others empty.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just watched video on BRM DVD. Looks good. Interested in the new stuff. 3 way points and double slips, what radius are you thinking, and working doors . All items I have looked at or can look at myself. I am at Derby exhibition, so am currently working on new items and ways to display them without them getting damaged.

Will now have to push on with my own mini tram layout, subject to funds being available. Hopefully more will no take an interest in building tram layouts as a result of the feature in BRM.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see the tram features in BRM, Grime Street looking marvellous in the pics, and a nicely illustrated explanation of how to motorise a die-cast Corgi tram. I've long wanted to model trams and this month's issue is good motivation. I used to visit Tramalan in Brum in the eighties to look at the kits he had but never quite felt up to giving one a go. Thirty years on I might just give it a try!

Cheers,

Keith

As mentioned in the article, the railway now works and a further extension is in build to give more operational interest, and the loco fleet is beginning to expand....

Fairburn tank heading light engine to Stourton shed passes over a  pair of Leeds cars, working to and from Hunslet.

post-7067-0-28334300-1459631240_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi Red Devil

Great layout. Can I ask about painting the Atlas Middlesex warehouse kit? What paint, techiques did you use if you can remember?
I've just taken delivery of one of these kits which I am going to use, built in low relief, along the back corner of my layout.
I intend to add extra scratchbuilt sections, one in particular with doors on each level and a fire escape.

You have captured exactly the grimy look I am after, the photo on the box is just built not apinted, and looks way too plastic and toy-like.

Cheers
Pete

Hope Springs, 1970s Northwest UK 00 gauge:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98701-new-layout-1970s-north-west/

Hi Red Devil

Great layout. Can I ask about painting the Atlas Middlesex warehouse kit? What paint, techiques did you use if you can remember?

I've just taken delivery of one of these kits which I am going to use, built in low relief, along the back corner of my layout.

I intend to add extra scratchbuilt sections, one in particular with doors on each level and a fire escape.

You have captured exactly the grimy look I am after, the photo on the box is just built not apinted, and looks way too plastic and toy-like.

Cheers

Pete

Hope Springs, 1970s Northwest UK 00 gauge:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98701-new-layout-1970s-north-west/

Hi Pete, now your asking.....! This is what I generally do...the basic building is knocked up to shape minus window mouldings and floors then sprayed one of several brick red colours, I think in this instance I used a Tamiya ratle can red/brown colour, poss a bit dark but works for me, windows spray painted to your colour of choice (Rover Blooklands Green I think!) fixed in and glazed, add floors etc for strength and so it's not a hollow see through shell. Then add a different roof, plasticard and paper strip slates.

Next up was to add a motar wash, I tend to go for black/dark grey to represent black ash mortar, this done with a thinned acrylic and wiped off leaving the red brown brick. Weathering was done using Tamiya weathering powders.....but used wet, I use the soot, snow and rust one, the soot and snow can be combined to make varying greys from almost black soot down, when this has dried thorougly and you're happy, limescale streaks etc can be added....using the snow weathering powder! The window frames get sploshed over with a very pale grey mix done from....yep you've got it, soot and snow weathering powders used wet! This gives an almost opaque but not too solid effect to the windows a bit like a very bad attempt to use a greenhouse shade wash....seems to work for me....

Hope that helps a bit....anything else just shout.

Hi Mark

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply so comprehensively. It may be a while before I get the chance to build and paint the model, got a lot going on and a holiday in Wales coming up, but when I do (and if it turns out OK) I will post some pics on my thread and link you to them.

The one thing that worries me a bit is that, being HO, the brick detail isn't very promounced on the mouldings and I wonder if the bits I am adding to it will look OK next to it, but I see you have added a small building to the left of yours and it looks great, so shoild be OK.

Thanks again, love your layout.

All the best

Pete

I don't find the detail affected by being HO. Not sure what size bricks Atlas base their kits on anyway, and why they , like most kit manufacturers continue to use stretcher bond, when it would normaly be one of the older bonds. In small scales, the lines of mortar are probably going to be slightly oversize,just so that they show up.

Archived