Elsbridge Tramway Company: Elsbridge Town - NeilHB's layout

NeilHB

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Ha - you've not seen anything yet - what about the chaos when I walk out of here and the Apprentice has to take over . . . . . . . . 

Mike

Well I have learnt from the best! 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

A slight change of plan with regards to the later, Gloucester based Ulfstead Mining Company wagons. Talking to Tim whilst I was round at his working on Duddon Bridge, we came to the conclusion that the larger wagons would be of too great a capacity for the Pig Lead from the mine. 

Therefore, these have been requisitioned by the Ulpha Mining Company on the Broughton & Dunnerdale Light Railway! 

Having looked at a few possible alternatives, I’ve settled on the Midland 3-plank dropside opens; with their 8T capacity they are ideal for the lead mine output. I’ve had one of these in my collection for a number of years now, and decided to use this as the test bed. I’ve modified the axleboxes to remove the ‘ears’ that make them so distinctively Midland, and started to repaint it tonight into the standard Ulfstead Mining Company livery.

5003916F-41A4-45E1-82CF-7DFC4DF16A04.jpeg.4f5c7edacf0910898c0f49bfd370cbf7.jpeg

I think it looks ok so far.

Those of you with a long memory will remember a previous occupant of the workbench, Wellsworth & Suddery Railway No.2 “Suddery”. She’s been at Tim’s for some time now, so that he could rebuild her chassis for me, as it was on the skew slightly. 

Ive brought her home for the moment, so that I can finish the bodywork and paint the components before returning her to Tim for final assembly. 

6EE12052-0DDF-48D6-89C0-C598D994BF5C.jpeg.74f72f03b35ab649ae119c72328813e7.jpeg

I need to design and build a suitable cab for her, current thinking is something reasonably enclosed, but perhaps with an open back to the cab? 

I shall all have to do some doodling and see what looks suitable. 

Livery wise current thinking is a mid-green colour, with red lining (if I can summon the courage/enthusiasm!).

Stand by for more updates as and when.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Getting there now with the revised plan for the later Ulfstead Mining Company wagons.

As an attempt to quell my pre-interview nerves for tomorrow (keep your fingers crossed please folks!), I’ve been finishing off the painting for the dropside 3-plank UMC open:

C7E2D55E-7CF9-445C-BB25-630F70809103.jpeg.ee2fa6b8e177839bf6be0bcca25c32ab.jpeg

Need to touch up the black paint in a couple of areas, but I rather like it. Lettering next - oh what fun! 

I’ve also been working on another wagon, this time a single plank dropside. I’m taking a slight liberty with Sodors timeline here with this wagon, as I’ve decided that it will belong to ‘Jabez Croarie’, stonemasons based up at Anopha, north of Ffarquhar...

E67DE703-1459-4644-A946-D9FA91E9BD25.jpeg.2a8487de6679c0dfdce9e1dc0e709b75.jpeg

I’ve decided that the finished stone will arrive by packhorse at Elsbridge, and then transported down the tramway for onwards shipment. Or at least that’s the case until the Ffarquhar extension opened in 1925 and the quarry had a direct output to the world via the quarry tramroad! 

In reality just an excuse for another nice Private Owner Wagon livery and to test my sanity and patience applying lots of individual letters...

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, NeilHB said:

As an attempt to quell my pre-interview nerves for tomorrow (keep your fingers crossed please folks!), 

Hopefully nothing to worry about - especially as I didn't apply for any of the vacancies. However it seems I may be asked to stay on for a while to ensure an orderly handover . . . . . . and after that I'm told I'll have even less spare time !

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Hopefully nothing to worry about - especially as I didn't apply for any of the vacancies. However it seems I may be asked to stay on for a while to ensure an orderly handover . . . . . . and after that I'm told I'll have even less spare time !

Thanks Mike - I gave up trying to prep as it just made me even more nervous. I just need to remember that I already do most of the job, and what I don’t do yet I’m sure you can teach me before your great escape! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I survived my interview - at least they didn’t chase me from the room with torches and pitchforks! 

While I wait (somewhat impatiently) for the outcome, I dug an old friend out of the cupboard tonight with a view to getting a second loco up and running for Elsbridge (Wharf).

I say old friend, as she’s been featured on this page a number of times in the last few years. I will admit that I wasn’t particularly keen on the shade of green that I’d painted her in a couple of years back, so it had sat in the box out of sight. For a bit of variety, I’ve decided that the two Wellsworth and Suddery Railway locos that will feature will be in different liveries. No.2 (MW F class) will be in Darlington Green, whilst No.4 “Brendam” (LBSCR A1) will be in Wine Red (the same as the UMC wagons as it’s a rather nice colour!). 

67A2E6CA-E1F7-49BC-A3B6-A4CC8905F15D.jpeg.d5d514900a0286df1cb8032df751f2b2.jpeg

See for yourself, just the first coat of paint tonight, but I like it already :D 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, sir douglas said:

i like the look of the little manning wardle, is it a slaters kit?

It is indeed. Will be good to finally get it up and running as I’ve had it for nearly 3 years now.

On 09/02/2019 at 19:25, NeilHB said:

A slight change of plan with regards to the later, Gloucester based Ulfstead Mining Company wagons. Talking to Tim whilst I was round at his working on Duddon Bridge, we came to the conclusion that the larger wagons would be of too great a capacity for the Pig Lead from the mine. 

Therefore, these have been requisitioned by the Ulpha Mining Company on the Broughton & Dunnerdale Light Railway! 

Having looked at a few possible alternatives, I’ve settled on the Midland 3-plank dropside opens; with their 8T capacity they are ideal for the lead mine output. I’ve had one of these in my collection for a number of years now, and decided to use this as the test bed. I’ve modified the axleboxes to remove the ‘ears’ that make them so distinctively Midland, and started to repaint it tonight into the standard Ulfstead Mining Company livery.

6EE12052-0DDF-48D6-89C0-C598D994BF5C.jpeg.74f72f03b35ab649ae119c72328813e7.jpeg

I need to design and build a suitable cab for her, current thinking is something reasonably enclosed, but perhaps with an open back to the cab? 

I shall all have to do some doodling and see what looks suitable. 

Livery wise current thinking is a mid-green colour, with red lining (if I can summon the courage/enthusiasm!).

Stand by for more updates as and when.

Hi Neil. How about this?

ClassF861.jpg.1cab1ac63f570e86221d95c0b935403e.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Hi Neil. How about this?

ClassF861.jpg.1cab1ac63f570e86221d95c0b935403e.jpg

Thanks Dave, that looks rather delightful! I’ve got a couple of ideas to try first, but I really do like that one. 

10 minutes ago, hartleymartin said:

That Manning Wardle of yours looks like great progress. I've looked at the Manning Wardle kits over the years, but my abilities in soldering and forming parts from brass etches are not up to snuff for it. I'm more used to cleaning up castings and using etches for things like cabs and bunkers.

Thanks Martin. I bought it part-built, so most of the hard work had already been done. My friend has then rebuilt the chassis for me as it wasn’t square unfortunately. I’m just going to finish/paint the bodywork so I can hand it back over to him for final reassembly and wiring. I’m like you in that I prefer to use castings or even scratchbuild it myself. However I’m determined to overcome my fear of building brass kits this year, as I have a couple of other Manning Wardle kits stashed away which I really would like to try and build myself. 

Managed to grab a couple of photos just now at lunch while I’m home to let the dogs out - taking full advantage of the lovely sunshine in Derby today! 

6BF05E8A-2B81-476D-AB87-2A6669575187.jpeg.ad8af0c1d8d7f10ff082725e066478ce.jpeg

41CE9167-574E-456A-9CFE-AE1651A1AF68.jpeg.7c5c95e2c1775918c740416211e93e73.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, NeilHB said:

. . . . I’m determined to overcome my fear of building brass kits this year, as I have a couple of other Manning Wardle kits stashed away

. . . . . and a new soldering iron to play with . . . !

• RMweb Gold

First attempt at hand lining “Brendam” tonight - 

5E196371-7E19-47AC-85D5-96848F7EC4C4.jpeg.8f5641f9b822369e5c0ed82db8d6e57a.jpeg

I was going for a slightly older looking style, with the inverted corners. Not sure if it’s a bit much on the cab? It’s been done using a Posca Paint Pen - seems to have decent coverage, and the 0.7 very fine nib produces a decent sized line for 7mm (well I think so). 

Feedback please ladies and gents - how does it look? 

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Both sides of the loco and bunker/toolbox now lined! 

5B636A25-65F2-4CF3-B6B3-F776C8FA8543.jpeg.f4f4e7cc3d572b5650f84051c72f431a.jpeg

5D37FB42-0487-4E71-83E1-6FC941B00F7C.jpeg.3fe6f65adf4238bd2f55b2065173124d.jpeg

I will admit that last night after doing the first side I really wasn’t sure if I liked it or not. With a fresh pair of eyes this morning I rather like it. 

I’ve added the nameplates as well - just a couple of areas to touch up, then we are on the home stretch towards reassembly. Hooray! 

Edited by NeilHB
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, NeilHB said:

Both sides of the loco and bunker/toolbox now lined! 

5B636A25-65F2-4CF3-B6B3-F776C8FA8543.jpeg.f4f4e7cc3d572b5650f84051c72f431a.jpeg

5D37FB42-0487-4E71-83E1-6FC941B00F7C.jpeg.3fe6f65adf4238bd2f55b2065173124d.jpeg

I will admit that last night after doing the first side I really wasn’t sure if I liked it or not. With a fresh pair of eyes this morning I rather like it. 

I’ve added the nameplates as well - just a couple of areas to touch up, then we are on the home stretch towards reassembly. Hooray! 

That's looking cracking Neil :good_mini:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

‘Brendam’ now sports a lovely two tone lining scheme - rather pleased with how nicely this has turned out:

3DC37700-D5E7-45CB-8474-9A7C7458C853.jpeg.e6cf85eda82c45194b33eca7bff4b0a2.jpeg

Just need to redo the other splasher as I managed to wipe most of the white lining off whilst attempting to add the black - d’oh! 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Corbs - am really pleased with how nicely its turned out. Still debating whether or not to add a second black line the other side of the white, so that it is black/white/black lining, or just leave it as it is?