Elsbridge Tramway Company: Elsbridge Town - NeilHB's layout

NeilHB

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to follow this, it's brilliant. I do like Sudrian railways on the original format and seeing them modelled historically accurately (or at least as accurate as you can get with fiction). I really like Brendam, will it carry W&S lettering or is 1906 after the merging with the TK&ELR?

I plan to model as Sudrian railway at some point, in the 1950s but with BR crests on NWR liveries. Probably 4mm

Thanks Ryhs. I don't plan on Brendam carrying lettering except for maybe a small crest on the bunker if I can design something suitable. She'll be allowed running rights on the layout when it runs in a later timeframe post 1912. (The Wellsworth & Suddery didn't merge with the TK&ER until 1912 when the W&S extended through the ridge at Crosby to link up to the TK&ER at Knapford - though they ran under a joint management before they could actually combine officially WWI was declared and the NWR was formed.)

There'll be another W&S loco appearing soon hopefully (if my Dapol terrier ever arrives!) which will be No.3 Crosby plus I'm contemplating buying another Hudswell Clarke and altering it to make a passable representation of a Manning Wardle (which will probably become No.2 Suddery).

I like the sound of your idea - anything Sudrian is good in my book!

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, I have a plea for info from the collective power of RMWeb!

A couple of heads ago from eBay I purchased the below set of what appear to be parts for a Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST - the question I have is were they part of a part work series in a magazine - if so which one was it?

post-1365-0-98966900-1428417235_thumb.jpg

All of the parts as they came - looks like its designed around split axles (gulp!) albeit the axles are way over length (am assuming they are designed to be trimmed to length) - I think the block of Perspex is designed to assist with assembling the split axles?

post-1365-0-50513400-1428417338_thumb.jpg

The wheels are quite small in diameter (am guessing somewhere in the 2'9" region as the black wheels included for size are standard 3'1" wagon wheels.

post-1365-0-22644900-1428417403_thumb.jpg

Lastly all the lovely castings that came with it - some very nice brass and whitemetal castings including some lovely turned brass crankpins that screw into the wheels.

So, does anyone know any more about the collection of parts please?

Edited by NeilHB
  • Like 1

Thanks Ryhs. I don't plan on Brendam carrying lettering except for maybe a small crest on the bunker if I can design something suitable. She'll be allowed running rights on the layout when it runs in a later timeframe post 1912. (The Wellsworth & Suddery didn't merge with the TK&ER until 1912 when the W&S extended through the ridge at Crosby to link up to the TK&ER at Knapford - though they ran under a joint management before they could actually combine officially WWI was declared and the NWR was formed.)

There'll be another W&S loco appearing soon hopefully (if my Dapol terrier ever arrives!) which will be No.3 Crosby plus I'm contemplating buying another Hudswell Clarke and altering it to make a passable representation of a Manning Wardle (which will probably become No.2 Suddery).

I like the sound of your idea - anything Sudrian is good in my book!

I didn't want to put too much in the last post (it is your thread after all not mine) but seeing as you like the idea I'll expand a little. I think the idea of the NWR continuing with so much freedom after it became the North Western Region is a little unrealistic so I think while they should keep their liveries, they should carry BR crests and numbers. Because Sodor is an island it made sense to use the same style as the Isle of White so they kept the numbers but added an S prefix so the NWR No 4 for example would become BR S4. I also think that with steam on the way out in the late 1960s Sir Topham Hatt would have taken the opportunity to request transfers of several locomotives from around the system that we're no longer required by their regions, the majority being the newer BR STD locomotives.

It would be great to accompany these with a layout of Crovans gate but this could be a bit too big.

What do you think?

Thanks for that information on the merging. Do you have a copy of 'the Island of sodor, the island, it's people and it's history'?

Anyway I'll give you your topic back.

I wish I could help identifying your parts too, are these for the quoted manning wardle conversion?

Edited by WD0-6-0
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I didn't want to put too much in the last post (it is your thread after all not mine) but seeing as you like the idea I'll expand a little. I think the idea of the NWR continuing with so much freedom after it became the North Western Region is a little unrealistic so I think while they should keep their liveries, they should carry BR crests and numbers. Because Sodor is an island it made sense to use the same style as the Isle of White so they kept the numbers but added an S prefix so the NWR No 4 for example would become BR S4. I also think that with steam on the way out in the late 1960s Sir Topham Hatt would have taken the opportunity to request transfers of several locomotives from around the system that we're no longer required by their regions, the majority being the newer BR STD locomotives.

It would be great to accompany these with a layout of Crovans gate but this could be a bit too big.

What do you think?

Thanks for that information on the merging. Do you have a copy of 'the Island of sodor, the island, it's people and it's history'?

Anyway I'll give you your topic back.

I wish I could help identifying your parts too, are these for the quoted manning wardle conversion?

Rhys - I like your thinking re the numbering system - it seems quite plausible to me and I think that if Sodor did exist (whaddya mean it's not real?!) then it's probably a route that STH would have gone down.

Good thinking re the transfer of BR standard steam locos - would make good sense as many of them were pretty much brand new so they'd have plenty of life left in them for service on Sodor. Crovans Gate would make a fantastic layout - agree re space though you need loads of it to do it justice (I've always imagined it to be a huge sprawling complex with lots of buildings and sidings full of rolling stock that is awaiting its fate...) - I think a barn would be about the right size to fit it all in...:)

I do - one of my most treasured possessions - it's a bit well thumbed but I love it as it's such a mine of information.

No - I think the Manning Wardle conversion will use parts from S&D models and this one will be built as is (0-4-0ST) if I can summon up the courage to tackle it!

• Like 1

Thanks, I'm glad you like the idea.

Yeah maybe I'll settle for a small section of mainline near tidmouth, or possibly Maron station.

I'd love one but I can't find nor afford one, I do have the Later Christopher Awdry book although that doesn't have as much in it.

I'm looking forward to seeing it all develop.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Maron is a good choice - you've got a bit more operational-ness with bankers returning to Wellsworth and goods trains stopping to pin down brakes; plus the village itself is built on the hillside and only accessible by foot or horse (according to Awdry) so a good excuse for a busy goods yard with lots of interchange traffic between rail and road etc.

if you're going for the bit near Tidmouth I'd suggest the section between Cronk station and where the line turns north to go through the tunnel to Knapford - would be a nice stretch to model with sweeping curves and the line running at the foot of the cliffs (you could even add a couple of goods loops for operational interest).

Thanks - so am I! It's been so long in the planning that's its good it finally get moving with this project!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of heads ago from eBay I purchased the below set of what appear to be parts for a Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST - the question I have is were they part of a part work series in a magazine - if so which one was it?

Hi Neil

I assume that it's the MRJ Wantage Tramway No 5 . . . . a standard gauge George England loco

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/locos/5/5.html

Information in Martin's topic here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96567-wantage-tramway-no5-jane-mrj-articles/

Hope that helps

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, I'm glad you like the idea.

Yeah maybe I'll settle for a small section of mainline near tidmouth, or possibly Maron station.

I'd love one but I can't find nor afford one, I do have the Later Christopher Awdry book although that doesn't have as much in it.

I'm looking forward to seeing it all develop.

I've got a pdf copy if you want one.

My first thought was that the castings were for the Wantage tramway loco - but yesterday I went through the video, and the wheels are significantly different - so I'm not convinced.....

Guest Isambarduk

The wheels definitely look Manning Wardle but I do not recognise their manufacturer.  They could have been bespoke castings; I had castings made from my pattern for my Andrew Barclay fireless loco:

AB-motionwork.jpg

see: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/Andrew-Barclay-Fireless.htm  

it's not so unusual to do this so it is possible.

As Mike says, Wantage Tramway No 5 is a George England loco with quite different 3' 1" 10-spoke wheels (which may be obtained from Slater's 7837WT) and the castings are not from the pack that could be purchased from MRJ, Wild Swan for that scratch-built project loco. Again, the castings that you have could be bespoke for somebody's pet project.

David

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

All of the parts as they came - looks like its designed around split axles (gulp!) albeit the axles are way over length (am assuming they are designed to be trimmed to length) - I think the block of Perspex is designed to assist with assembling the split axles?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The wheels are quite small in diameter (am guessing somewhere in the 2'9" region as the black wheels included for size are standard 3'1" wagon wheels.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Lastly all the lovely castings that came with it - some very nice brass and whitemetal castings including some lovely turned brass crankpins that screw into the wheels.

So, does anyone know any more about the collection of parts please?

Were these a set of parts for the MRJ project for a Wantage Tramway Manning Wardle?

Gordon A

Bristol

Guest Isambarduk

"Were these a set of parts for the MRJ project for a Wantage Tramway Manning Wardle?"

The 7mm MRJ scratch-build project was Wantage Tramway No 5, which is a George England loco. There was an earlier MRJ scratch-build project, a Manning Wardle F, but it was in 4mm (see Model Railway Journal No. 66, 1993).

David

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all who have replied so far - very much appreciated.

David I think you may well be right - I guess I was just hoping that it would have been part of a nice magazine article with an easy here's how to assemble guide...I know wishful thinking on my part! :)

So my next question is...suitable plans for an 0-4-0 Manning Wardle of an appropriate 1870s-ish vintage - anybody know of any suitable please?

There was a drawing of a Manning Wardle F class in Railway Modeller years back. I believe Model Railway Journal also had a 4-part article series on scratchbuilding one in 4mm scale, but you could easily do it up in 7mm scale. S&D Models do a number of components which you would find useful.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oakwood Press books - Wilkinson's Wantage Tramway book has a good side elevation ofof MW H class

North Sunderland Railway has sketch plans of this & more

Also see Locomotives of Quality for many MW photosphotos

I have a part built Slaters kit I bought...to finish

Dava

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave, I've got the North Sunderland Railway book so will check that one and may have the Wantage one too (danger of having far too many books...!).

Will have to have a look for a copy of the MW book.

Is that the F class? I've been thinking about getting one for a while now so any opinion/info about the kit would be gladly welcomed.

• RMweb Premium

The Slaters kit is a MW F class, the H was slightly bigger.

I bought the kit with chassis part-built. Diplomatically I would say this kit is a challenge with many tiny parts to solder and an assembly problem with the gear mesh and motion assembly sequence (see Rustons version a few years back). This one has several cabs!

The Ixion brass one is a far better (bigger, costlier & rtr) loco.

Dava

I've looked over the Manning Wardle K class kit. It's just too difficult for me.

I am not convinced that having everything in etched brass is the best way to produce a kit these days. Certainly I like etched brass for the chassis and things like the cab, but a number of parts would be better produced in cast pewter or polyurethane.

The old cast metal kits might have been a bit crude, but cast metal is of such great quality these days. You should see the cast bogies we have for the NSW Railways. They are fantastic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave and Martin - definitely one to avoid then! Bit of a shame really but never mind.

I managed to make a start on detailing my scratchbuilt dumb buffered wagon - I've made a start on adding rivets - first time I've ever attempted to do something like this - I've used entomological pins (0.4mm diameter) with most of the tail removed and inserted into holes drilled in the bodywork and chassis...I only broke 2 drill bits and drilled my finger once - a good day! One side is completed with holes drilled and pins inserted - I got part way through one end before breaking the second drill bit - decided to call it a day as I now need to buy some more tiny drills!

post-1365-0-66645200-1428778534_thumb.jpg

I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out - will admit its a bit fiddly to do though...

• Like 7

Hi Neil,

I'm not sure of the material you are drilling, but for plastic, of a certain type, I've used a soldering iron to melt through the pins. In the past, I've made small spade drills by grinding flats on sewing needles - that was before the availability of the 'diamond files' you can get these days, which would quickly put on the flat, without softening the temper. Hand held drilling of small holes can be tricky, spiral drills are too flimsy, and as you've found, a bit bloody. Carbide (pcb type) drills are very brittle.