The Port Road and Branches

Mad McCann

I don't remember seeing this area covered previously but here's a timely heads-up about a new book title, expected next February;

'The Port Road - Dumfries to stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn' by Andrew Swan and published jointly by the

CRA and G&SWRA. Having seen an 'early prototype' of the book I can vouch that it's going to be something pretty special and a dedicated, high quality publication of this sort is long overdue for this corner of Scotland.

Dumfries and Galloway is a bit of a 'forgotten corner' of Scotland in many ways but this appears to be changing on the ground and it's to be hoped that interest in the area's railways may also follow suit; there aren't many places you can model a three coach train with a Jubilee or a Clan pacific up front; Caley 'Parleys' notwithstanding.

Anyway, I intend this thread as a gathering point for any related matters of interest, so feel free to chuck what you've got into the pot!

Edited by Mad McCann
  • Like 7

Gosh has Andrew finally finished his book, he's been working on it for ages, a labour of love me thinks. Must phone him to give congrats.

Bought back some EM locos I built for Andrew many years ago for his Port Road project, he went 7mm and sold the locos to a friend of mine who has since died.

I think Mad McCann has seen them running on Wharfeside.

Looking forward to the book after seeing the amount of research material that Andrew had worked through.

Dave Franks.

Just to say that a 4mm EM model is in progress at present based upon Whithorn in Galloway.  The station was the most southerly railway station in Scotland when it was open. 

Modelling licence assuming the branch line didn't close on the 5th October 1964 so a mixture of steam - with the branch locomotive stove pipe Caley Jumbo 57375 - and green diesels. 

Working hard right now for its first outing and appearance at the Chatham Kent Show in June.  

AM

• Like 2

What goes around comes around.

A few years back there was little else of interest on here other than the building of Culreoch.

Try a search if interested.

Well worth a read.

Looking forward to the book as it is an area I have always liked.

Bernard

... the building of Culreoch.

Try a search if interested....

The build saga is long lost to the bad old days of RMWeb server crashes.  The layout is currently in hibernation but broadly unchanged.

I look forward to the book - would be really nice if it covered the grouping era, as the final years of the line are fairly well covered already in print.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Found this lovely horde of Dumfries area subjects on the Cumbrian RA sitehttp://cumbrianrailways.zenfolio.com/p328179906

Superb set of images, I must contact them to ask if they would mind me copying them for my own use as my father was a driver at Dumfries until 1952 when he moved to Hurlford. It is just feasible that he had driven one or other of the 'local' locomotives in his time there! Thanks for sharing them with us MM (sorry, don't know your name!)

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Just to say that a 4mm EM model is in progress at present based upon Whithorn in Galloway.  The station was the most southerly railway station in Scotland when it was open. 

Modelling licence assuming the branch line didn't close on the 5th October 1964 so a mixture of steam - with the branch locomotive stove pipe Caley Jumbo 57375 - and green diesels. 

Working hard right now for its first outing and appearance at the Chatham Kent Show in June.  

AM

How about a photo or two of your model of Whithorn please, having lived there for five years myself I know the area well.

Kevin

David Smiths books on the G&SW rate amongst some of the best I have read. The fact he could recount stories told first hand from the railwaymen involved gives them a very human perspective and he had a knack of bringing humour to most subjects.

I particularly recall the tale of a manager who was staying overnight at one of the intermediate stations which was situated at the bottom of a gradient in either direction. During the night an unfitted freight suffered a break away and the errant portion of the train performed a pendulum act up and down each gradient, travelling through the station several times before finally being brought to a stand. In the morning the manager declared he hadn't realised how busy the line was at night!