The Port Road and Branches

Mad McCann

Morning all,

I'd like to apologise to you Dave and your followers for failing to post any stories so far, but I have been rather ill for some weeks although my oncologist has plans to sort the current problem so I hope to get something interesting posted by Christmas or soon after!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Hi All,

I'm building a G&SWR 187 class 0-4-2 and want to do it as one of the locos which worked on the Port Road and in particular the Portpatrick branch. The locos for that service were fitted with tender cabs. I have enough information to build the model but all the photos I have seen are of the locos in post 1919 livery and I model circa 1906.

post-6089-0-20002600-1448011078_thumb.jpeg

This photo shows the loco on the branch, can anyone help with a picture of the class in earlier condition please?

Thanks,

Ian

• Like 4

I wish I could help Ian, but all I can say is I don't know whether I like the engine or the coach following it the most. What a wonderful prototype, and how sadly neglected the G&SWR seems to be.

Thanks Poggy.

It was a long shot as there were never all that many photos taken of the Sou' West. I have other photos of the class in the period I model but not with the tender cab.

You are right about how neglected the G&SWR is especially by modellers but it does mean that those of us who do have unique models!

The coach looks very like a James Stirling 6 wheeler probably getting very near the end of its revenue service.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently acquired a semi-constructed 4mm model on a certain online auction site which appears to be a good likeness of Smellie's 116 class 'Wee Bogie'. What I don't have is a suitable drawing to allow me to make a chassis for it. It was scratch-built but the hard work is essentially done now!

Dave.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Drawings of the original version are in RM for March 1975, I don't know where or if the Association has the Manson boilered versions or the Whitelegg rebuild.  If you PM me with your e-mail addy, I can send a scan.  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p265322570/h60099519#h60099519

Crossmichael signalbox with tablet exchange mechanism.

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p265322570/h6bd9461f#h6bd9461f

76072 at Dumfries shed in 195

0s.  (Okay, not quite Port Road, but must have been a regular on it!)

Hi 26P, lovely shot. Always nice to see combined box and loco shots. Here a diagram of layout for your interest.

kind regards,

Robert

post-17860-0-37761000-1457799846_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi All,

I'm building a G&SWR 187 class 0-4-2 and want to do it as one of the locos which worked on the Port Road and in particular the Portpatrick branch. The locos for that service were fitted with tender cabs. I have enough information to build the model but all the photos I have seen are of the locos in post 1919 livery and I model circa 1906.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

This photo shows the loco on the branch, can anyone help with a picture of the class in earlier condition please?

Thanks,

Ian

I have now managed to get the 187 class model built and painted. I have given it the number and livery it would have had when it was rebuilt by Manson in 1901. I haven't been able to find a photo of one of these locos with the tender cab and carrying the early livery but have taken modellers license until someone proves me wrong!

It's been a sunny day so I managed a quick snap on the shelf but it still needs a bit of weathering to impart that 'in use but cared for look' some coal in the tender and a proud crew.

For anyone interested it is built to 7mm scale, 33 mm gauge, S7 wheel standards. The loco wheels are white metal castings I cast myself fitted with steel tyres while those on the tender are Slaters reprofiled. All the loco wheels pickup by means of split axles and are sprung with Slaters plastic axleboxes. There is a small Mashima motor in the firebox driving throuh an old fashioned 40-1 worm and gear. The model is almost all nickel silver plate work with some brass turnings and a few castings.

post-6089-0-06742700-1457910194_thumb.jpeg

Ian

• Like 6

If on Facebook a picture of outside of Stranraer Town station in 1962:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1036630626397878&set=gm.598893000263422&type=3&theater

in Scottish Railways group.

That date must be wrong (assuming you're talking about Ian's superb #181). Or were you referring to 76072 from an earlier post? I'm not on Facebook, so I can't see the picture.

Edited by pH

Picture mentioned is the one below:

post-7031-0-93357400-1458007844_thumb.jpg

That date must be wrong (assuming you're talking about Ian's superb #181). Or were you referring to 76072 from an earlier post? I'm not on Facebook, so I can't see the picture.

• Like 1

Picture mentioned is the one below.

Apologies - I misread your last post and thought you were referring to Ian's post immediately above yours. I added an 'it' in your post which wasn't there.

• 4 months later...

Sorry if its been mentioned already but there is a new book in the pipeline on the Port Road By Andrew Swan I believe publication is (At July 2016) imminent. published jointly by Lightmoor Publications and the CRA/G&SWRA.

It was mentioned in the very first post - but your update was very timely, so thanks for the heads-up!

Usual, predictable "folded arms" picture!

Maybe do it at the same time as this?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/transport-chief-meet-dumfries-galloway-8327524

Nice idea,  I wonder what Tesco (Castle Douglas), not to forget TAS and a fewer other businesses might think.

It is the word 'Demand' that I find interesting, as if it is a right, never mind the expense!

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

What's needed is a Swiss-style 'Rollbahn'. I imagine HGVs for Ireland pulling off the M6 at Gretna onto carrier wagons then railed right across D&G and up to Cairnryan using the old military line, Straight off the train and onto the boat. Would certainly make the A75 immeasurably safer. Relatively easy gauge enhancements to Dumfries, thereafter even completely new sections could even be engineered if the old route is too difficult or remote.

Hell, the Chinese do stuff like this over a weekend these days!   :D 

Dave. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

One of the positive sides of the Internet, and RMweb, Flickr etc is the ability to share resources.

I was recently alerted to this splendid April 1965 picture of a Kirkcudbright train joining the Port Road outside Castle Douglas Station (just before Tesco's!).  Thank you mmawddwy1!

It is an appallingly dark grey and very wet day here so I have cheated with the equivalent modern day image.

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 2

One of the positive sides of the Internet, and RMweb, Flickr etc is the ability to share resources.

I was recently alerted to this splendid April 1965 picture of a Kirkcudbright train joining the Port Road outside Castle Douglas Station (just before Tesco's!).  Thank you mmawddwy1!

It is an appallingly dark grey and very wet day here so I have cheated with the equivalent modern day image.

Ray

What a great image, it just exudes atmosphere. Some great details too,.