The Port Road and Branches

Mad McCann

If Andrew Swan's book is purchased from Caledonian Railway Association or Glasgow and South Western Railway Association, a CD with structure drawings, signalling diagrams etc. is available for an additional £5, or £8 + £2 postage if bought without the book - not available from other sellers.

Jasp

Edited by jasp
  • Like 1

If Andrew Swan's book is purchased from Caledonian Railway Association or Glasgow and South Western Railway Association, a CD with structure drawings, signalling diagrams etc. is available for an additional £5, or £8 + £2 postage if bought without the book - not available from other sellers.

Jasp

Thanks for that, book and CD duly ordered from the Caledonian Railway Association.

Working my way through the book now - lots of steam pictures and historical background.  A bit of a famine in Galloway for diesel lovers.  Liked the cd which came with the book, but would have preferred if the cd had contained the images of the buildings which are in the book rather than railway related paperwork.  Could have downloaded them for printing off and for modelling purposes.

This I am sure will be the definitive book on this piece of railway history.

Thoroughly enjoyable!!

Picked up the book and CD from the author himself (courtesy Caley Association) at the Perth show last month, and I've slowly worked my way through it.  The book is a goldmine of information, particularly on the infrastructure.  Not only are a few "holy grails" identified which have been sought by myself and a couple of other students of the Galloway lines, but scale drawings of the items in question are provided.

The author's many years of research are well represented and clearly apparent from the depth of information both directly related to the railway but also about the human and landscape contexts through which it ran. 

As noted by 'ardbealach', nothing in the way of diesel locomotives in the book other than the odd reference to workings from Ayr and Stranraer's Hunslet shunters.  But this should be unsurprising as the Port Road remained exclusively steam-powered until closure.  On the other hand, in so doing the author has spared us the grim photographs of diesel-hauled demolition trains which are in any case available elsewhere.

I'm sure after a bit more study the book may well prompt me to dig out and resurrect my slice of 4mm:ft rural Galloway.  I can't recommend the book highly enough.

• Like 1