Rapido LRC

peach james

• RMweb Premium

I did the same thing. I believe the speaker that comes with the separate chip is a long thin one that suits a phone hand set. With surprisingly good sound I thought. I think I remember that the LRC chassis is designed to take round speakers upside down over the bogie mount. In fact some of the factory fitted ones had the situation where the bogie mounting screw could just toch the speaker face and distort the sound, so a bit of space needed to be created to solve that. 

So I think that explains why you cant see an obvious space for the separate supplied speaker.

I have not installed mine yet but was thinking of just buying a round speaker if I could not find space for the phone based one.  Tom

Edited by Dominion

I did the same thing. I believe the speaker that comes with the separate chip is a long thin one that suits a phone hand set. With surprisingly good sound I thought. I think i remember that teh LRC chassis is designed to take round speakers upside down over the bogie mount. In fact some of the factory fitted ones had the situation where the bogie mounting screw could just toch the speaker face and distort the sound, so a bit of space needed to be created to solve that. 

So I think that explains why you cant see an obvious space for the separate supplied speaker.

I have not installed mine yet but was thinking of just buying a round speaker if I could not find space for the phone based one.  Tom

Hi Tom,

Exactly what I found and saw.

I've dropped an e-mail to Rapido asking their advice. I post any response when I get it.

If the phone speaker doesn't fit the loco why did they even supply it?!? I'd be quite happy to get the correct speaker if they tell me what it is! And yes the fittings for the round speaker looks a bit under-engineered.

Will be interesting to see what they say...

Luke

Hi Tom,

Exactly what I found and saw.

I've dropped an e-mail to Rapido asking their advice. I post any response when I get it.

If the phone speaker doesn't fit the loco why did they even supply it?!? I'd be quite happy to get the correct speaker if they tell me what it is! And yes the fittings for the round speaker looks a bit under-engineered.

Will be interesting to see what they say...

Luke

"They" say we now have the round speakers in stock. :) We didn't before so we included our usual speaker, which is the oblong one.

We can get you a round one. If you can get the oblong one to fit, the sound is much better quality. I've never tried fitting one...

-Jason

My LRC has pre fitted round speakers over the bogies. I ordered the sound chip to go with it and got a pair oblong speakers. I must admit I was perplexed by these. Fitted the chip and the round ones were fine. It is so nice having a loco speaking québécois!

Probably use the oblong ones on another sound project some day ( still got a class 20, class 31 and class 55 to do).

Seeing that I wan't the only one I thought I'd have a go at fitting the oblong speakers.

First I tested them using DecoderPro, Sprog II and ESU decoder tester... Stunning! The sound is MUCH better that I'd expected. The speaker on the ESU tester usually gives a reasonable indication of what to expect with properly fitted speaker but in this case the difference is vast!

There is space under the fan housing but I needed to file the bottom back about a mm. This was more than I needed, maybe half a mm would have been better? I soldered a couple of speaker leads with a reasonable fine multiple core wire, insulating the joints with heat shrink tubing, then wired to the small speaker pads on the circuit board. Folding the extra wire away the side view shows the speaker in position.

It will need some tweaking but I'm happy with is so far.

Luke 

post-7204-0-11803300-1451168446_thumb.jpg

post-7204-0-14769600-1451168455_thumb.jpg

post-7204-0-50672700-1451168465_thumb.jpg

post-7204-0-56277300-1451168473_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi all, 

resurrecting an old topic.  I appreciate that the Amtrak LRC's were limited in timeframe for operating and they ultimately did so along the NE corridor, but what presence did the Amtrak livery have in Canada - i am aware that they were not interchangeable with the VIA stock, but i am interested if there is a prototypical case of it being there or being used.  

I quite fancy getting on in the Amtrak livery, but aside from 3 ET44's in BNSF/NS/CSX, a Amtrak P42 and NS SD60E everything else is Canadian from the the 70's through to the 20's - yes, aware that Rule 1 always applies, but i do like to know if there was an instance :-) 

Cheers all

Edited by GEOEng03
spelling

• RMweb Premium

There were 2 Amtrak trains that ran into Toronto -- from New York and from Chicago. The Chicago one was cancelled some years ago as the Michigan government wanted a more convenient service for its citizens.

Trains ran from New York (Washington?) to Montreal. Currently one runs from Montreal to Albany.

(more info on another thread)

I don't think any of these used Amtrak LRC equipment.