Rapido LRC

peach james

Having never investigated it, I wasn't sure if the Lakeshore East line had grade crossings, although I assumed it did at the outer end. I know all of the others do.

GO seems to have gotten away from the occasional top-and-tail operation with a pair of F59PHs that they were running on the Barrie line. I think all 7 trains on that line are push-pull sets again (although at least one is only a six-car consist).

Adrian

Actually, if you consider Lakeshore East to be different from Lakeshore West, i don't think there are any level crossings between Union and Oshawa.  In my mind i see the Lakeshore line as a single run, but if treated separately, they are rather different in terms of configuration and setup.

I suspect the top and tails will be back come the fall/winter.  A big part of why GO was doing that was to act as leaf/line clearing trains for subsequent trains with more coaches and one loco.

Stephen

I was thinking in terms of what I would consider 'main line' trains, operating at higher speeds - the equivalent of the UK's ECML Class 91 push-pull sets, because I've long believed that VIA needs to make changes to the old-fashioned, time-consuming, labour-intensive methods by which it operates. If it doesn't, it will simply become too expensive to fund. It is essential for commuter-type services to have push-pull type operation as they are relatively short distance high frequency, rapid turn-round operations which would be impractical if complete trainsets had to be turned at the end of every journey. GO was top and tailing at least one set with F59-PHs when I was in Toronto three weeks ago. I saw it several times. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

VIA used to run trainsets in from Mimico in bunches, usually with a loco leading,  They also used to have a reverse loop right at Union, but they sold it off for a football stadium.

The Canadian at one point ran in a big loop, starting north of Lake Simcoe, coming south down one side, through Union, then north up the other side.Then the track through Barrie was abandoned and they had to use the one track both ways, but they still started north aimed at Barrie and did a messy back and forth movement to reach the other sub (backing through the curves at one junction). Not sure what happens now.

VIA used to run trainsets in from Mimico in bunches, usually with a loco leading,  They also used to have a reverse loop right at Union, but they sold it off for a football stadium.

The Canadian at one point ran in a big loop, starting north of Lake Simcoe, coming south down one side, through Union, then north up the other side.Then the track through Barrie was abandoned and they had to use the one track both ways, but they still started north aimed at Barrie and did a messy back and forth movement to reach the other sub (backing through the curves at one junction). Not sure what happens now.

It did that reversing manoeuvre in 2011 and 2012 when I travelled on it westbound (and I think the eastbound in 2013 did it as well). The first time it happened I was actually in the rear 'bullet' lounge and was quite alarmed to find that it was done without an engineer in the rear coach. I've noticed that No. 2 always seems to arrive facing the TMC (a friend is an engineer and sometimes does the ECS working). I believe they take it out somewhere near Aldershot to turn it.

CHRIS LEIGH

(Sorry this is all way off topic)

Edited by dibber25

It did that reversing manoeuvre in 2011 and 2012 when I travelled on it westbound (and I think the eastbound in 2013 did it as well). The first time it happened I was actually in the rear 'bullet' lounge and was quite alarmed to find that it was done without an engineer in the rear coach. I've noticed that No. 2 always seems to arrive facing the TMC (a friend is an engineer and sometimes does the ECS working). I believe they take it out somewhere near Aldershot to turn it.

CHRIS LEIGH

(Sorry this is all way off topic)

To the best of my knowledge, the routing has not changed.  Southbound 2 comes down the Don Valley on Bala Subdivision and into Union.  Deadhead west from Union to TMC.  Reverse Deadhead from TMC to Union after servicing.  Depart Union westbound as No1. to Newmarket Subdivision, reversing manoeuvre from Newmarket Sub to York Sub at Snider, then eastbound to connection to Bala Subdivision northbound.

Now, to get back on topic, for anyone who has First Run Rapido LRC Coaches in the original paint scheme, Rapido now has the replacement wheel sets with bearings to help the cars actually roll.  I got mine last night, not sure when i will get them installed as my LRC coaches are 80km away at my parents house, but I'll post something whenever i do pick up the cars about replacing the wheelsets.  More info on the Rapido site about how to order here:  http://www.rapidotrains.com/wheels_ho.html

Stephen

To the best of my knowledge, the routing has not changed.  Southbound 2 comes down the Don Valley on Bala Subdivision and into Union.  Deadhead west from Union to TMC.  Reverse Deadhead from TMC to Union after servicing.  Depart Union westbound as No1. to Newmarket Subdivision, reversing manoeuvre from Newmarket Sub to York Sub at Snider, then eastbound to connection to Bala Subdivision northbound.

Now, to get back on topic, for anyone who has First Run Rapido LRC Coaches in the original paint scheme, Rapido now has the replacement wheel sets with bearings to help the cars actually roll.  I got mine last night, not sure when i will get them installed as my LRC coaches are 80km away at my parents house, but I'll post something whenever i do pick up the cars about replacing the wheelsets.  More info on the Rapido site about how to order here:  http://www.rapidotrains.com/wheels_ho.html

Stephen

Dan gave me a couple of sets of these but I haven't fitted them yet. Ironically, the LRC cars perform beautifully with the matching loco, having never behaved themselves with the F40 or MP42!

CHRIS LEIGH

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Actually, if you consider Lakeshore East to be different from Lakeshore West, i don't think there are any level crossings between Union and Oshawa. In my mind i see the Lakeshore line as a single run, but if treated separately, they are rather different in terms of configuration and setup.

I suspect the top and tails will be back come the fall/winter. A big part of why GO was doing that was to act as leaf/line clearing trains for subsequent trains with more coaches and one loco.

Stephen

I noticed a few grade crossings on the Lakeshore East line last week heading into the city, on having a quick look on Google maps there are eight between Eglinton and the Pickering side of Rouge beach.

Saw the LRC loco in the flesh today in George's trains, I've bought 4 of the coaches since coming out here last week but the loco is out of my timeframe!!

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Upon my return from sunny Scotland, I found I had recieved a parcel from Canada containing 3 LRC coaches. Naturally my LRC shuttle was very happy after feeling dwarfed by OO gauge UK mk 2s!

Firstly, let's say, these coaches are great and excellent value for money.

Having a UK based layout, my curves are just a bit tighter than 28 inch radias that Rapido recommends for the as fitted couplings. So I switched over to the supplied long versions. There is no European style close coupling system but the coaches run pretty close with the long couplers anyway.

The fitted light system is excellent. Better still are the working tail lights on both ends of each coache. These can be switched using a secret switched under the roof via a magnet. An excellent system.

Now, inside the coach there are 2 small wires running from the bogies to the top of the kitchen part. On top of the kitchen, there are 2 contacts that touch 2 strips to power the lighting system. On one of my coaches, one contact was not in contact and thus did not work.

Remove the couplings as described. There are 6 easy clips holding the body on. Easy peesay, body removal is very simple and does require super powers unlike some coaches I can think of in OO.

Corrected the contact, the body clipped back on easily. It all worked fine.

Basically, if Rapido do BR mk 3s and Mk 4s to this standard, they will sell bucket loads.

Edited by JSpencer

Stephen

Does anyone know if these wheelsets will fit the Athearn bi-level coaches? Some pals have been having problems with the rolling qualities of the  Athearns coaches.

Cheers,

David

One question concerning the LRC coaches, the roofs have 2 rectangle white and black markings on them with a dotted border. At first I thought these were stickers to show where the hidden magnetic switches are for the end stop lights.

But they seem to proper printed markings. Is that correct?

One question concerning the LRC coaches, the roofs have 2 rectangle white and black markings on them with a dotted border. At first I thought these were stickers to show where the hidden magnetic switches are for the end stop lights.

But they seem to proper printed markings. Is that correct?

Those would be the cutting points for the roof exits. From an accident report:

The APTA standard requires that each coach be equipped with at least 2 roof emergency exits. These may be a built-in opening with a hatch or an identified area of the roof where heavy structure, wiring, conduits, piping, and light fixtures do not impede the cutting out of access holes with tools that are routinely carried on fire department rescue vehicles.

http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/rail/2012/r12t0038/r12t0038.asp

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

I noticed a few grade crossings on the Lakeshore East line last week heading into the city, on having a quick look on Google maps there are eight between Eglinton and the Pickering side of Rouge beach.

Saw the LRC loco in the flesh today in George's trains, I've bought 4 of the coaches since coming out here last week but the loco is out of my timeframe!!

Craig

But you should still buy one as they are amazing looking and even more amazing sounding!!

• RMweb Gold

Got an email from Farah at Model Junction that my Amtrak LRC and coaches will be arriving tomorrow - as long as Operation Stack on the M20 does not impede the progress of the man from Parcelforce.

Keith

In reference to the roof markings, the LRC coaches and the stainless coaches originally didn't have these:

Toronto Coach Yards 1984:

post-206-0-12928400-1438270527_thumb.jpg

The current markings, Toronto Union Station a couple years ago:

post-206-0-46558600-1438270541.jpg

GO Bombardier coaches have 4 cutting patches with a different style of marking, and the markings on the stainless coach can also be seen:

post-206-0-83535000-1438270552.jpg

post-206-0-65754500-1438270788.jpg

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Despite all the local problems surrounding Operation Stack on the M20 pleased to advise that the guy from Parcelforce delivered my package from Model Junction. Included were an Amtrak LRC loco and matching Amtrak coaches,

Just had the loco and some coaches out on the track - most time was spent reading the manual and setting the loco up on my Roco Z21. The "driving" technique is quite interesting - F8 to start up, F4 into standby mode, F5 into run mode and off you go... Downside is that for an Amtrak loco the station announcements are for VIA trains.

Have taken a few pictures, not that good quality but it was getting late and after day working on my garden railway was starting to feel a bit tired:

post-586-0-88206700-1438291611.jpg

post-586-0-54730000-1438291627.jpg

The loco had no problem climbing the incline - don't think there will be any problems with a longer consist:

post-586-0-11765900-1438291654.jpg

and finally the loco was tied up for the night with some of its new friends for company:

post-586-0-95319300-1438291685.jpg

Keith

• Like 1

In reference to the roof markings, the LRC coaches and the stainless coaches originally didn't have these:

Toronto Coach Yards 1984:

attachicon.gifP0s.jpg

The current markings, Toronto Union Station a couple years ago:

attachicon.gifDSCN0894s.jpg

GO Bombardier coaches have 4 cutting patches with a different style of marking, and the markings on the stainless coach can also be seen:

attachicon.gifDSCN0924s.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0859s.jpg

Adrian

Thanks for the photos, reminds me of when I was out there last year althoughI did not see any LRC coaches while I was out there, but your photo shows the colours I just brought my few in in.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today I finally picked up an LRC. The engine, 6923, is certainly wonderful but after having my Rapido FPA9 derail I am afraid to take it out of the packaging incase it too derails, and scatters parts across the tracks!

Sorry to hear that your FPA9 derails - my FPA-4 and FPB-4 stay on the rails .... but they don't stay together - the coupling pocket at the back of the A-unit is missing a screw in the coupling box. Apart from that they are beautiful models.

Also have a problem with one of my LRC coaches - it shorts out when I place it on the track.  Something to discuss with my dealer...

Keith

Sorry to hear that your FPA9 derails - my FPA-4 and FPB-4 stay on the rails .... but they don't stay together - the coupling pocket at the back of the A-unit is missing a screw in the coupling box. Apart from that they are beautiful models.

Also have a problem with one of my LRC coaches - it shorts out when I place it on the track.  Something to discuss with my dealer...

Keith

Oh it doesn't derail due to a fault. It derailed only once but is such a nice model I don't want to risk causing damage or loosing parts.

• 3 months later...

OK, so I had an unfortunate accident involving my LRC and a 9F.  (it all made sense when it happened...) in the tunnel on Long Marton.  I melted a truck on it, and had to get a spare from Rapido.  No charge for a replacement truck.  (awesome !).  Then, I opened up the coach body (VIA coach, not a VIA 1 coach), and go to change the wiring around.  No issue at all...as easy as it could be to change something that isn't supposed to be damaged.

However, what I was amazed at is simple:

WASHROOM SINKS !

there, in the body of the coach, where it cannot be seen without taking the whole thing apart, there are SINKS in the washroom molding.  If they go to that level of detail in things that are almost impossible to see, think of what you can see.

Thanks Jason & Rapido, for running such a company.

James Powell

• Like 4

When I ordered my LRC I didn't get a sound fitted version. By the time it had arrived I knew I'd made a mistake :)

Having chatted with Jason and Co and Warley I ordered the sound decoder and speaker pack. It arrived today. I took the to off the LRC and am now sitting here wondering where the **** the speakers go! There doesn't seem to be any mounting points or room or pretty much any indication where the speakers go. The exploded diagram has a completely different speakers shown...

Does anyone have any idea / suggestions / hints as to where the speakers are mean to go?

Thanks, in anticipation!

Luke