ICI Hoppers from Hatton's in Partnership with Oxford Rail

Andy Y

3200 to 3283 later ICIM 19000 to 19083 later BLI ditto had small letters and diamond frame bogie from new. From 1980s onwards swapped diamond bogie for plate frame bogie.

3284 to 3319 / 19084 - 19119 had large letters and plate frame bogies from new.

A mixture of both is realistic in any era from 1950s onwards.

HTH Paul

mid 2018, that gives me time to get my credit card cleared. Might have to dream up a reason for a Tunstead to Black Country working..

Agreed, that'll be the Bescot portion of the little known and never knowingly photographed Tunstead to Southampton train (for export) via the West Midlands, Banbury Oxford and the DN&S - often hauled by pairs of Claytons and the occasional Class 28 - Ruuuuuulllllllleeeee 1 stretched ................. :good:

Edited by Southernman46

Where do you think it is wrong? Looks pretty close to this: http://www.wildboarmodels.co.uk/resources/PHV%20PH.png.opt684x456o0%2C0s684x456.png

Roy

Sorry Roy i just can't see it matching to that real rusted to death version you linked, i'm not a fan of anything weathered to buy tbh loco's or stock i was just voiceing what i thought, i'll be doing the colour myself anyways to match my current 9 brass and resin ones :)

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Roy i just can't see it matching to that real rusted to death version you linked, i'm not a fan of anything weathered to buy tbh loco's or stock i was just voiceing what i thought, i'll be doing the colour myself anyways to match my current 9 brass and resin ones :)

Fair enough, but I don't see it being anywhere near as bad as you seemed to be suggesting. Personally I think style 2 is one of best weathering jobs I have seen on a RTR wagon.

Roy

Roy

Given the weathering on the real wagons there was an lot of variation in the shade and intensity of the brown. I am fortunate to have photos of the wagons from their days when they were used internally at Winnington Works and most times I visited it was usually a dull overcast day usually wet too :( so the wagons tended to look quite dark. But other photos of the wagons waiting to be scrapped at Attercliffe on a dry day look ligher. For me Style 2 looks a good starting point. Style 1 less so. Not sure what Style 3 is based on? A photo? I honestly cannot recall seeing a hopper in that condition. The weathering to the inside of the hopper itself needs to be less angular and more rounded if possible but again there was some variation in how the limestone dust and rust weathered.

Paul

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

called in at hattons today as was passing as i needed some bits and had a good look at the wagons they have on display the photos don't do the wagons justice. The weathering looks a lot better when they are in front of you might even up my order.

Agreed, that'll be the Bescot portion of the little known and never knowingly photographed Tunstead to Southampton train (for export) via the West Midlands, Banbury Oxford and the DN&S - often hauled by pairs of Claytons and the occasional Class 28 - Ruuuuuulllllllleeeee 1 stretched ................. :good:

Rules are meant for streeeeeeetching