ICI Hoppers from Hatton's in Partnership with Oxford Rail

Andy Y

4 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

Just wondered was there ever a review of these models in BRM? Seem to have missed it if there was.

Cheers Paul 

Not sure if BRM did a review but a couple of other magazines did, I went for the TOPS version, bought 5 initially and I'll be adding a few more, they are a great model.

Mark

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sails said:

Not sure if BRM did a review but a couple of other magazines did, I went for the TOPS version, bought 5 initially and I'll be adding a few more, they are a great model.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I did the review for Rail Express Modeller and saw reviews in Railway Modeller and Hornby Magazine.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Just converted one of these to EM with existing wheels pulled out and some plastic on the inside of the bogies removed as-well as on the brake shoes.

Looks like the wheels may now foul the chassis of the wagon on a curve. Yet to try it out on the layout. Just wondering has anyone else had an issue.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, D1051 said:

I've got a garage layout they run fine on mine but that said its not EM   .I find them to light if anything .                                                                                                                          

Hopefully a "load" will become available ( similar to accuscale ones). To which you can add self adhesive car tyre weights.                                                 

Most of all another batch with different running numbers would b

One option at the moment https://tencommandmentsmodels.co.uk/product/ici-hopper-load-three-pack-oo/

I have about 9 wagons at the moment and hope they will eventually do some more.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 06/06/2020 at 16:41, D1051 said:

I've got a garage layout they run fine on mine but that said its not EM   .I find them to light if anything .                                                                                                                          

Hopefully a "load" will become available ( similar to accuscale ones). To which you can add self adhesive car tyre weights.                                                 

Most of all another batch with different running numbers would be nice.

Realistic loads from Hattons often come up on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Realistic-OO-Hattons-ICI-Hopper-Wagons-8-X-LIMESTONE-LOADS-Peak-Forest/133466805436?hash=item1f133dd4bc:g:0CcAAOSwHGxdPw1o

Dave

• RMweb Gold
On 06/06/2020 at 16:41, D1051 said:

Most of all another batch with different running numbers would be nice.

Realistic loads for Hattons hoppers often come up on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Realistic-OO-Hattons-ICI-Hopper-Wagons-8-X-LIMESTONE-LOADS-Peak-Forest/133466805436?hash=item1f133dd4bc:g:0CcAAOSwHGxdPw1o

Dave

Can anyone say if the JOHN SUMMERS wagons differed markedly from the Hattons ones that remain in stock?

Are there any internet-accessible photos of JOHN SUMMER wagons - ideally from the late 1950s / early 1960s?

Thanks in anticipation.

John Isherwood.

3 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

John Depends on how close you look as from memory the hopper is lower and the end ladders are different but then get a copy of Paul Harrison’s book for a better review.

There are at least three different liveries, Summers, plain grey and BSC blue.

There appear to be two relevant books by Paul Harrison : -

An Illustrated History of the ICI Hopper Wagon

The Hoppers: Limestone Traffic

Which is best for the John Summers wagons, please?

John Isherwood.

54 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Hatton's still has a not-insubstantial amount of 90's era hoppers.  What would be entailed to backdate them to original condition?

Thanks for that - I have just splashed out on a rake of six; not sure if they will be backdated to ICI or John Summers wagons.

Does anyone know if etched ICI letters are available?

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

It depends on which year they were built as the early ones had diamond frame bogies on. 

Looks like the three styles in stock have a heavyweight bogie of some sort.   I'm not familiar with modern bogie styles, but they are most definitely not diamond-frame.

4 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Hatton's still has a not-insubstantial amount of 90's era hoppers.  What would be entailed to backdate them to original condition?

Hi, you would need to add the right size of I C I lettering depending on whether the wagons is from the 1936 pre-WW2 batch with small letter or the 1945 post-WW2 batch with larger letters. Also the 84 wagons of the pre-WW2 batch had diamond frame bogies with oil-bearings and the 36 wagons of the post-WW2 had plate frame bogies also oil-bearings - these were plain fronted axleboxes as per the Hatton's ICI001x, 002x and 003x version models. And then a repaint in to the earlier darker grey livery. You might be able to maybe 3d print some letters off if you copied the shape and size of the ones on the rtr model?

HTH Paul

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Can anyone say if the JOHN SUMMERS wagons differed markedly from the Hattons ones that remain in stock?

Are there any internet-accessible photos of JOHN SUMMER wagons - ideally from the late 1950s / early 1960s?

Thanks in anticipation.

John Isherwood.

Yes, you would need to make a new hopper as the lower height alters the end angle of the body slope and in turn affects the end T stanchions and end plate though these might be able to be reused. I have been looking into doing some ex-Summers wagons in ICI guise for my own needs but not got far with it yet but do have enough donor models.

There ought to be a couple of photos in the Chas Roberts archive via the HMRS website of the wagons when they were new at Horbury and a few of the trains with 9Fs on the front pop up on Flickr sometimes.

HTH Paul

There appear to be two relevant books by Paul Harrison : -

An Illustrated History of the ICI Hopper Wagon

The Hoppers: Limestone Traffic

Which is best for the John Summers wagons, please?

John Isherwood.

Hi John, the first book would be more relevant to the Summers wagons as there is a section in there. Let me know if you need a copy I think I have a spare.

Cheers Paul

Another question - when were the diamond frame bogies changed for the plate-framed ones on the ICI wagons?

John Isherwood.

Hi John, they were gradually changed from around 1982 onwards until all 84 original diamond-frame bogie fitted wagons had all passed through Avenue workshops. The replacement plate-frame I believe came from the by then surplus ex-John Summers then British Steel wagons that had been laid up at Shotton once steelmaking ceased there in 1980. 13 complete wagons passed via BR to ICI Mond as replacements for ICI wagons written off in accidents. The plate-frame replacements were of course converted to roller bearings when they were overhauled.

HTH Paul

11 minutes ago, pharrc20 said:

Hi John, the first book would be more relevant to the Summers wagons as there is a section in there. Let me know if you need a copy I think I have a spare.

Cheers Paul

Paul,

I have ordered the first book - I guessed that it would be more relevant.

I think that my wagons will be backdated to ICI 1961 condition - I will need to source the ICI raised letters; (etching, laser-cut?); but, until the book arrives, I'm not sure whether I'll need to fit new diamond-frame bogies. (I hope not - I like the plate-framed ones).

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

Thanks for that - I have just splashed out on a rake of six; not sure if they will be backdated to ICI or John Summers wagons.

Does anyone know if etched ICI letters are available?

John Isherwood.

Hi John, there was an etched fret of the large letters for John Talbot's Appleby Engineering resin and whitemetal kit he did for the ICI hoppers in the late 1990s but I would imagine these are no longer available now.  Maybe someone with a 3d printer might be able to print some copy letters using the rtr model ones as a template and making a suitable set up for both letter sizes?

Cheers Paul

Just now, cctransuk said:

... until the book arrives, I'm not sure whether i'll need to fit new diamond-frame bogies. I hope not - like the plate-framed ones).

John Isherwood.

Paul,

The question is no sooner posed than answered - thank you.

So - diamond-framed bogies it is; are Ratio or Cambrian ones more suitable?

Regards,

John.