ICI Hoppers from Hatton's in Partnership with Oxford Rail

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Dave,

I take it that you are aware of my transfer sheet BL183 - see https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

I can also supply the etched I C I letters formerly produced by Appleby Model Engineering.

Regards,

John.

Appleby

John

Yes, I have just recently seen the new transfers thanks. I am backdating the hoppers 4A which still have the ICI letters. With them being unweathered and I plan to convert to preTOPS, then there are quite a few extras needed as they will be lightly weathered. The names on the axle box covers for example. The plan is to use existing hoppers (older versions which I also have ) to generate the new transfers. I will let you know how I get on as something new for me.

Dave

Dave

• RMweb Gold
On 09/08/2020 at 12:37, cctransuk said:

Does anyone know of a source of these oil axlebox cover plates in 4mm. scale?

721719774_6_489SUMMERS-BSCBOGIEIRONORE97_11.jpg.a595c5323d28b49664541ebf30467f0d.jpg

I'd like to backdate the roller bearing axleboxes on my Hattons hoppers - I'll need 80 covers!

John Isherwood.

John

Do you know if ModelU could do a 3D print of the outer part of the older plate bogie if the the type we need could be scanned?

Dave

12 hours ago, zr2498 said:

John

Do you know if ModelU could do a 3D print of the outer part of the older plate bogie if the the type we need could be scanned?

Dave

Dave,

I'm afraid that I have zero experience of 3D printing.

Sorry,

John.

14 hours ago, zr2498 said:

John

Dave

A less detailed 2mm scale one is on Shapeways. Maybe the designer could be encouraged to upscale and add the extra details suited to the larger scale.  https://www.shapeways.com/product/5BZBQN2SS/plateback-bogies-for-ici-hopper?optionId=63668570&li=marketplace

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mike Harvey said:

A less detailed 2mm scale one is on Shapeways. Maybe the designer could be encouraged to upscale and add the extra details suited to the larger scale.  https://www.shapeways.com/product/5BZBQN2SS/plateback-bogies-for-ici-hopper?optionId=63668570&li=marketplace

Alas, they are the later plate bogie design with roller bearings

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, e30ftw said:

will there be another run of these models?

It has taken quite a while to sell most of the first run..they still have some left..so I wouldn't count on it

Baz

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

It has taken quite a while to sell most of the first run..they still have some left..so I wouldn't count on it

Baz

I have asked Hatton's a few times in the past at shows and on the website chat and it seems unlikely they will produce any new versions at present.

Cheers Paul

• Informative/Useful 2

Several years ago I had the pleasure of my photo of SVR residing ICI Hopper 19129 being featured in the BRM magazine. Several years I was able to see it's sister hopper 19052 (3252) at Kidderminster Station today following a repaint this month. Really impressed with the job :)

50666314346_4465f02e38_b.jpg

50666314251_27fa9d7148_b.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 14

• 6 months later...

The final models (ICI006DW) have now finally sold out on the Hatton's website when I checked not long ago. However, I received a wishlist email alert from Hatton's this afternoon just before 3pm to say that 1xICI006CW and 4xICI006DW had been listed in the pre-owned section for today.. by 7pm all 5 had been sold, so someone is a happy person.

Clearly still demand for them still it would seem.

Cheers Paul 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...

Recent sales on bay of E show the demand is still there for these models. A pair sold not long ago for £83+ and today one single wagon (ICI005A) with a removable stone load sold for £64 with the lucky buyer having an extra £4.20 postage.

Cheers Paul

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

Recent sales on bay of E show the demand is still there for these models. A pair sold not long ago for £83+ and today one single wagon (ICI005A) with a removable stone load sold for £64 with the lucky buyer having an extra £4.20 postage.

Cheers Paul

In fact there are a few more sales to report some I had not seen myself as well.

A single 5B model for £48.99 + £4.20 p+p might have been buy it now?

A single 1A model £53.52 + £4.20 6 bids

Another 1A at £49.51 + £4.20 4 bids

A set of 4 6CW £119.50 + £2 from Rails oS eb shop bin?

A pair of models 6CW/6DW £59.50 + £2 also from Rails eb shop bin?

A set of 4 6BW/CW/DW/EW £117.00 + £6.50 7 bids

Another set of 4 6BW/CW/DW/EW £80 + £6.50 1 bid

A single 1A model £22 + £3.60 p+p bin?

The pair of models previously mentioned were both 6CW and sold for £83.06 + £4.20 with 8 bids. The one yesterday sold for £64 had 24 bids.

Cheers Paul 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2020 at 14:06, e30ftw said:

will there be another run of these models?

Obviously I don't know, but I recently bid £70 for one on eBay and lost! I never imagined that the bidding would go so high. 

Perhaps there is still an unsatisfied market for these models .

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Obviously I don't know, but I recently bid £70 for one on eBay and lost! I never imagined that the bidding would go so high. 

And to think that a year ago Hattons were selling them for £24!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

It would appear so that there us unsatisfied demand for these wagons.

Even the new HMag supplement on BR LMR train formations makes note that these models are highly sought after now.

I would be very pleased if they did some more of the 4 and 5 coded versions and pretty please the Summers, British Steel and later I.C.I. Mond versions of these slightly smaller wagons. Oh and do the diamond frame bogies with roller bearings fitted too.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

And to think that a year ago Hattons were selling them for £24!

Yep and the weathered ones a pound more bargains for £25, though the 6 coded ones took a while to shift, perhaps not as much demand for those post-I.C.I. with the letters removed.

Cheers Paul 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

Yep and the weathered ones a pound more bargains for £25, though the 6 coded ones took a while to shift, perhaps not as much demand for those post-I.C.I. with the letters removed.

Cheers Paul 

If anyone needs them, I can supply etched ICI letters and suitable numbering transfers.

See the Cambridge Custom Transfers website.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies. The only photo's I can find (in use with the hoppers) seem to show ex LMS Dia.1/503 or 1/505 & the standard BR Dia.1/506 , would anybody have more detailed information, serial numbers etc.

Edited by Yorks1