ICI Hoppers from Hatton's in Partnership with Oxford Rail

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Garethp8873 said:

Looking at their Facebook page, a re-run isn't on the plans at the moment. Btw @Hattons Dave thank you for using my photo of 3252 on your website. Also would you mind adding my name to the photo you're using of GWR MICA B 105873 at somepoint please at it's one of my photographs :)

51596299676_e5958cbea3_b.jpg

Hi Gareth, thanks for allowing the use of your photos - they're perfect! Apologies for missing off your credit on the Mica B page, I've updated that now. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

Looking at their Facebook page, a re-run isn't on the plans at the moment. Btw @Hattons Dave thank you for using my photo of 3252 on your website. Also would you mind adding my name to the photo you're using of GWR MICA B 105873 at somepoint please at it's one of my photographs :)

51596299676_e5958cbea3_b.jpg

As I seemed to be too slow out of the traps with Hattons, I'd like to thank Gareth for the 8 wagons I've purchased today, they will do perfectly as a mini rake, inexplicably diverted via the Sheffield-ish region, (aerial bombardment of the Chinley area?)

Glad I haven't sent off my order to CJI/CCT yet, I seem on the verge and then buy something else which needs his attention!

Mike.

24 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

As I seemed to be too slow out of the traps with Hattons, I'd like to thank Gareth for the 8 wagons I've purchased today, they will do perfectly as a mini rake, inexplicably diverted via the Sheffield-ish region, (aerial bombardment of the Chinley area?)

Glad I haven't sent off my order to CJI/CCT yet, I seem on the verge and then buy something else which needs his attention!

Mike.

It's a pleasure. I luckily put my order in for the the pristine 3284 examples last night. As of looking at the product listing today, I saw they are all gone.

3 hours ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi Gareth, thanks for allowing the use of your photos - they're perfect! Apologies for missing off your credit on the Mica B page, I've updated that now. 

Dear @Hattons Dave,

It's was a pleasure and I'm glad you find the photos of both wagons useful.

If you wish me to do any wagon or carriage research for you and Hattons in the future, please drop me a comment as I do a lot of photographic research as my Flickr page shows.

ATB, Garethp8873.

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 2

On 21/04/2023 at 05:19, 45568 said:

I have acquired one of these hoppers from Oz EBay which came with KD couplings. I am struggling to find a NEM tail tension lock which fits, did these these come originally with a unique tension lock?

Thanks in advance for your consideration,

Peter C.

They did. The pocket is shorter than standard and the tension locks which came fitted to them had short tails to match. I fitted standard-length swallow-tail couplings and glued them in place with contact adhesive, checking that the coupling was as close as possible without buffer lock. Once set, it’s strong enough for haulage but it’s reversible. Break the glue bond and peel off the dried residue of glue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Two types left now... ICI006CW 19052 and ICI006DW 19110.

When it comes to wagon loads for the ICI Hoppers, I see Precision and Ten Commandments do these. What have fellow modellers gone for when they want to give these wagons a load?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Where do all these go?

We have two rakes on Chapel. One empty the other has loads printed by @innocentman.  

I had expected to see more exhibition layouts with full size hopper trains but , other than Chapel, any other exhibition layouts out there with these rakes on them?

Baz

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Where do all these go?

We have two rakes on Chapel. One empty the other has loads printed by @innocentman.  

I had expected to see more exhibition layouts with full size hopper trains but , other than Chapel, any other exhibition layouts out there with these rakes on them?

Baz

There's probably not too many exhibition layouts in the right area - these wagons did have quite a localised area of use and I dont remember seeing them outside that in their lifetime (but I guess they must have been transferred to works for attention at times, probably in ones or twos)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GordonC said:

There's probably not too many exhibition layouts in the right area - these wagons did have quite a localised area of use and I dont remember seeing them outside that in their lifetime (but I guess they must have been transferred to works for attention at times, probably in ones or twos)

Guilty as charged m'lud for stretching the sphere of operation a tad!

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, GordonC said:

I use a small rake (6) on Clayton End Signalman, with Ten Commandment loads. They will be at 3 shows in September.

Edited by 70000 Britannia
correction
  • Like 2

On 25/04/2023 at 23:40, Garethp8873 said:

Two types left now... ICI006CW 19052 and ICI006DW 19110.

When it comes to wagon loads for the ICI Hoppers, I see Precision and Ten Commandments do these. What have fellow modellers gone for when they want to give these wagons a load?

I have acquired some loads off that well known auction site some from the seller smuggler7 these are based around a dense dark grey foam cut to shale with stone glued on top. These appear for sale from time to time, and a batch has just been listed and sold it seems. There was also a resin or cast material version from another seller with a more coarse looking stone effect. I can't find the seller for these anymore. Then there is the Ten Commandments ones too.

Cheers Paul

• Thanks 1

On 26/04/2023 at 07:10, Barry O said:

Where do all these go?

Baz

Some years ago, probably 2018, I operated two rakes of the new hoppers on the Hazel Grove club layout Hazel Valley, when it was operating in a 1970s/80s BR Blue era for the weekend of their exhibition at the end of October. Somewhere, I will have some photos... he says.

Prior to that I used to run heavily modified and stabilised resin kit Hoppers originally made by High Peak Casters from Buxton. And later on a rake of the Appleby Model Engineering resin and whitemetal kit hoppers, which were much better than the HPC resin ones. But both compared to the Hatton's/Oxford Rail one, well just no comparison on the level of detail that this model has.

Apart from that my own layout will eventually feature short rakes of hoppers when it eventually gets completed.

Cheers Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've ordered 1, just 1, as a rake would be longer than my layout!

It will make its' (occasional) appearances as a "cripple" which, somehow, seems such a shame for such an exquisite model.

Kev.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I had one of those. Just one.

I remember seeing the early castings from HPC in his little shop in Market Street, Buxton.  There was a long way to go with quality and deformation and I didn't expect to buy any.  I've got a rake of the Hattons' ones which I'm very pleased with and will now get some loads for after reading the comments above. 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, rorz101uk said:

I wonder if Oxford Rail will be able to take over the wagons for there next release?

Depends who owns the tooling I imagine; the actual manufacturer, Oxford (=Hornby) or Hattons.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2024 at 11:56, ColinK said:

I got one of the Oxford hoppers, but never got the rest of the rake.  I’t’s sitting unloved with other unused stock.

If you model severn valley, then it would be accurate.

😄

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 5