ICI Hoppers from Hatton's in Partnership with Oxford Rail

Andy Y

I reckon one of the woodland scenics fine white ballast looks pretty close. There is a white rather than grey version? I would be keen if someone did pre cut loads to 'drop in' which we could then coat with ballast or which came with the like?  There was an excellent range available but the lad went into another job area Were called MODEL RAILWAYS DIRECT?

Yes they were great wagon loads, the chap who made them said it took up too much of his time. I think he still sells fishing equipment.

Mooresby on here bought his remaining stock and sells through eBay. I managed to get some Falcon and Coalfish loads.

• RMweb Premium

Innocentman is doing a 3d printed load "base" (It is on the Chapel en le Frith thread on RMWeb).

Noch do a lightweight limestone ..I would give you the id but I have passed my bag onto innocentman.

Baz

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Gold

Innocentman is doing a 3d printed load "base" (It is on the Chapel en le Frith thread on RMWeb).

Noch do a lightweight limestone ..I would give you the id but I have passed my bag onto innocentman.

Baz

The Noch product Barry O mentions is 95800. 

Also the 3d printed load bases can be seen here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81633-chapel-en-le-frith/?p=3218011

Andy

• RMweb Gold

One small design idiosyncracy to be aware of..... 

I was hoping to get away with a Smith's Instanster on the front wagon and one on the back with an oil lamp for my rake. (All of our loco fleet runs with Screw links both ends) Kadee #18s looked about the best option for ease of use along the rest of rake. Forget that. the 'NEM' pocket isn't an NEM pocket in the strict sense. KADEEs don't fit and are loose in the housing sliding in and out and not giving a reliable gap between wagons. When pushed right into 'NEM' housing they also foul the outer axle on the bogies, not good. The options are therefore use the Hattons tension locks which look like a wagon specific design (nope, hate them) or fit Smiths Instanters to the whole rake.... oh well here goes. That is actaully reasonably straight forward as the chassis and buffer beam there is plastic and the model can be slotted relatively easy for the 3 link/Instanter to be glued in place. ****You have been warned****

I have purchased a rake of 16 to use as the full train on our club layout Chapel-en-le-Frith.

The couplings we use are DG's (Available from Wizard Models). Rather than fit all 16 with DG's I opted to do two rakes of 8 with a DG at each end and Smiths Instanters in between.

As you say the chassis is plastic and does allow simple modification to allow the fitting of the coupling hooks, although I went the whole hog and sprung them as well. I suspect the spring will never come into play given the mass involved. I have included a couple of pictures below

post-1859-0-10545200-1540544474_thumb.jpg

post-1859-0-27548100-1540544515_thumb.jpg

Regards 

Andy

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I have purchased a rake of 16 to use as the full train on our club layout Chapel-en-le-Frith.

The couplings we use are DG's (Available from Wizard Models). Rather than fit all 16 with DG's I opted to do two rakes of 8 with a DG at each end and Smiths Instanters in between.

As you say the chassis is plastic and does allow simple modification to allow the fitting of the coupling hooks, although I went the whole hog and sprung them as well. I suspect the spring will never come into play given the mass involved. I have included a couple of pictures below

attachicon.gifIMG_0056.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0057.jpg

Regards 

Andy

Hope you're going to run them with the links in the short position!

• RMweb Gold

I have managed to strip the weathering and paint off 3 sets of preTOPS plate bogies which will be fitted to pristine TOPS wagons for preTOPS coversion (with transfers conversion to do later). They are of course brown plastic and need to be painted grey. The colour is battleship grey (Pantone 415C). Could anyone please advise which paint colour to go for so I can get a reasonable colour match to the bodies.

I have managed to strip the weathering and paint off 3 sets of preTOPS plate bogies which will be fitted to pristine TOPS wagons for preTOPS coversion (with transfers conversion to do later). They are of course brown plastic and need to be painted grey. The colour is battleship grey (Pantone 415C). Could anyone please advise which paint colour to go for so I can get a reasonable colour match to the bodies.

The paint shade will be purely what to you look correct and then a coat of grime hides a lot of imperfections!

Colour on film is open to interpretation depending on time of day/lighting/exposure and emulsion!

Mark Saunders 

Found these resin wagon loads for Oxford's ICI Hoppers on ebay if anyone is looking...

RESIN WAGON LOAD FOR HATTONS ICI HOPPER WAGON OO GAUGE

RESIN WAGON HEAPED LOAD FOR HATTONS ICI HOPPER WAGON OO GAUGE

They look a bit coarse and the issue with Resin is weight. They make wagons top heavy and 'heavy'. Load 18 of these and your Rat will be puffing. The great thing about the no longer available Wagon Essentials range was that they were expanded polystyrene with real fine ballast added. 

One small design idiosyncracy to be aware of..... 

I was hoping to get away with a Smith's Instanster on the front wagon and one on the back with an oil lamp for my rake. (All of our loco fleet runs with Screw links both ends) Kadee #18s looked about the best option for ease of use along the rest of rake. Forget that. the 'NEM' pocket isn't an NEM pocket in the strict sense. KADEEs don't fit and are loose in the housing sliding in and out and not giving a reliable gap between wagons. When pushed right into 'NEM' housing they also foul the outer axle on the bogies, not good. The options are therefore use the Hattons tension locks which look like a wagon specific design (nope, hate them) or fit Smiths Instanters to the whole rake.... oh well here goes. That is actaully reasonably straight forward as the chassis and buffer beam there is plastic and the model can be slotted relatively easy for the 3 link/Instanter to be glued in place. ****You have been warned****

I can’t find my posting about couplings, so I repeat my experience here. In order to change the couplings to short Kadees, I have glued them in, half-way along the swallow tails, i.e. with equal lengths of the swallow tail protruding from each end of the pocket. I have used contact adhesive for this. It produces a bond strong enough for operation but the bond can be broken to change couplers or replace the originals. The dried adhesive can be picked off without damage to either the couplers or the pockets. If you have tighter curves than mine, you could, of course, use longer Kadees.

An attempt to get my pristine, lightly weathered and heavily weathered into some sort of coherent train. From colour photos I have found of the wagons in use in the 60's I hope I have captured the look. There's still a lot of work to do, more subtlety, numbers etc but the project is on its way again. Just putting tracks in for my quarry and cement works built from Walthers kits.

post-10213-0-90590700-1541074798_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The whole rake, now numbering 15 wagons (13 weathered and 2 pristine-ish), is now fitted with Smiths Instanters. The real instanters, I am reliably informed by an ex Buxton man from late 80s early 90s, regularly broke as train was initially lifted. I now await Ben Jones and his Heljan 25/3 with much anticipation

The whole rake, now numbering 15 wagons (13 weathered and 2 pristine-ish), is now fitted with Smiths Instanters. The real instanters, I am reliably informed by an ex Buxton man from late 80s early 90s, regularly broke as train was initially lifted. I now await Ben Jones and his Heljan 25/3 with much anticipation

"initially lifted" ?

"initially lifted" ?

It's an old railway term for pulling away. Being a driver I still use it occasionally . As an example " the loco managed to lift 22 wagons out of the quarry on a greasy rail".

I should imagine the instantors broke as the train pulled away out of Tunstead as there was a fair amount of snatching as the locos struggled to find their feet. Used to be very entertaining watching a pair of 37s on these trains on a wet rail. Especially if they wouldn't talk to each other properly through the multiple working. One would slip whilst the other would find grip then vice versa. Seeing a refurbished 37 paired up with a standard 37 was always good for a bit of un synchronised thrash.

• Like 1

It's an old railway term for pulling away. Being a driver I still use it occasionally . As an example " the loco managed to lift 22 wagons out of the quarry on a greasy rail".

I should imagine the instantors broke as the train pulled away out of Tunstead as there was a fair amount of snatching as the locos struggled to find their feet. Used to be very entertaining watching a pair of 37s on these trains on a wet rail. Especially if they wouldn't talk to each other properly through the multiple working. One would slip whilst the other would find grip then vice versa. Seeing a refurbished 37 paired up with a standard 37 was always good for a bit of un synchronised thrash.

how did the refurbishing change how Class 37s behaved compared to an unrefurbished one?

I could not get the context as it seemed vague and have never used the term ‘initially lifted’ just “lift” plus was thinking of screw couplings being originally fitted!

Mark Saunders

how did the refurbishing change how Class 37s behaved compared to an unrefurbished one?

The biggest difference which affects the traction was changing the generator for an alternator and the electrical grubbins associated with it.

With the refurbished examples, although totally unprofessional, you could just wind the loco wide open from a standing start. The updated electronics would eventually sort themselves out and keep the loco going. If you tried doing this with a standard 37 fitted with a generator then you would end up overloading it and probably encounter quite a few bangs and flashes in the process. Worse case scenario would be flashing over the generator.

When you've got a refurbished loco in multiple with a standard example, and your driving from the refurbished loco, you need to be quite careful so as not to overload the rear one. A driver relies on his ammeter in the cab to see when he is getting to the limit of overloading.

Obviously with the loco on the rear you can't see the ammeter so don't really have any idea how far to push that loco.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

The biggest difference which affects the traction was changing the generator for an alternator and the electrical grubbins associated with it.

With the refurbished examples, although totally unprofessional, you could just wind the loco wide open from a standing start. The updated electronics would eventually sort themselves out and keep the loco going. If you tried doing this with a standard 37 fitted with a generator then you would end up overloading it and probably encounter quite a few bangs and flashes in the process. Worse case scenario would be flashing over the generator.

When you've got a refurbished loco in multiple with a standard example, and your driving from the refurbished loco, you need to be quite careful so as not to overload the rear one. A driver relies on his ammeter in the cab to see when he is getting to the limit of overloading.

Obviously with the loco on the rear you can't see the ammeter so don't really have any idea how far to push that loco.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Cheers

Marcus

Clearly a SINGLE 25 just walked away with the train loaded to 15-18 wagons.... superior traction you see.   :training:  :training:  :training:  :training:

Edited by gridwatcher

Clearly a SINGLE 25 just walked away with the train loaded to 15-18 wagons.... superior traction you see.   :training:  :training:  :training:  :training:

ISTR there is a fine example on the "Power Hour" video of a 37 leaving Great Rocks VERYYY slowly and then having the nuts thrashed out of it when the whole thing is moving nicely ........................................ Hmmmm - think I'll put it on now :locomotive:

• Like 1

Yeah but probably got as far as Dove Holes tunnel and boiled over due to lack of coolant. Leaky Swiss Sulzer tat!!

Tounge firmly in cheek if IPad hasn't added the smilies.

ISTR there is a fine example on the "Power Hour" video of a 37 leaving Great Rocks VERYYY slowly and then having the nuts thrashed out of it when the whole thing is moving nicely ........................................ Hmmmm - think I'll put it on now :locomotive:

Yep I've got that one as well. Top videos they're were. Think there were 3 altogether.