ICI Hoppers from Hatton's in Partnership with Oxford Rail

Andy Y

My first seven arrived today via the Royal Mail and first impressions seem favourable! :imsohappy: Now to decide how to make up the next batch. Does anyone know if there will be more than 1 clean 1 weathered for each period modelled or will I have to renumber?

• 2 weeks later...

Hattons have sold out of one of the 1950s - 1970s ICI hoppers, namely ICI003B.

Annoyingly, they found out by me ordering one and it not being on the shelf.

I wonder if they will do a re-run or, perhaps more likely, another similar one but with a different number?

That is a pity but not a surprise knowing how popular these wagons are. Hopefully Hatton's will obtain some more of the versions that they have low stocks of or have sold out completely for the first 8 models released so far.

Paul

I wonder if they will do a re-run or, perhaps more likely, another similar one but with a different number?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That is a pity but not a surprise knowing how popular these wagons are. Hopefully Hatton's will obtain some more of the versions that they have low stocks of or have sold out completely for the first 8 models released so far.

Paul

These, and all the other new and impending wagon releases, land right in the middle of my "spend money on the layout and mancave" era, so I hope you are right!

Mike.

These, and all the other new and impending wagon releases, land right in the middle of my "spend money on the layout and mancave" era, so I hope you are right!

Mike.

Sounds a bit like me too the "spend money on layout" ethos except mine is to build up stock and locos for my RF Sector Buxton area layout seen as how I can't work on layout at present so I might as well obtain the stock I need mostly second-hand locos and wagons apart from the new ICI hopper models.

Paul

• Like 1

Paul

Hatton's found an example of the sold-out wagon that had been returned by a magazine after reviewing it, and offered that to me - which was very good of them. I did ask about a re-run, but was told nothing has been decided.

I think the ICI wagons are very impressive, and have ordered some of the weathered ones to make up a longer rake.

• Like 1

Hattons are now showing this wagon as available to pre order, so sounds like they are getting another batch.

• RMweb Premium

Now received all 8 of my Hoppers. Really nice if a little light.

Great support from the Hattons team

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1

As the magazine reviews have started with Hornby Magazine the others to follow I guess, I thought I would add a few observations on the first 8 wagons so far.

First impressions in the box look very good then taking each one out in turn to have a proper good look. After looking at all 8 then starting again something struck me as not quite right - on the sole-bar there are two small triangular shaped parts. I have checked my photos and these 'chocks' should only appear on the hopper door release/return handles side of the sole-bar - the side with the vacuum-brake pipe running down the side does not have them. I believe they were related to the operation of the pair of hopper chute doors and maybe used to chock them open? One or two had loose buffer heads so check yours but a spot of superglue soon sorted those out. Generally the livery application is good still not sure on some of the shades of grey especially the ones in 1980s era as they were a lot lighter grey ex-works. The black data panel was larger in height from the ones I remember seeing although on the weathered ones very hard to read of course. The overhead warning flashes were on the real wagons fixed to plates or wooden blocks and so were proud of the body side and ends. The roller bearing covers on the 1970's onwards models were in theory yellow but constant use would soon weather them over. The small and large I C I letters do look good indeed and commendably thin heeding the feedback I gave when the CADs were first released.

It would be good to see the diamond frame bogies modelled with the roller bearing conversion as applied to all of the first 84 wagons between the late 60s to early 80s when the diamond frames were swapped for plate frame bogies acquired from the surplus British Steel wagons and roller bearing fitted.

There are ways and means to further personalise the wagons to suit my operating era including fitting the sloping ladders for those ex-Road Stone pooled wagons. The ex Summers wagons had straight vertical ladders at each end whereas the ICI wagons only had one sloping ladder fitted at end marked 1 and 4 - at least 40 were so fitted maybe more but some had already been scrapped by the time I got to making notes of the finer details from 1997 onwards. 19075 was an odd-ball having straight ladders but only at end 1/4 of the wagon.

A few minor marking details are not quite right either. I did feed back to Dave (the younger one!) on the Hatton's stand at Glasgow a few weeks ago so hopefully this feedback has been received. But all in all after such a long time and several false starts with kits and other RTR proposals we now finally have a decent model. How about some crushed cat litter (unused of course!) for making up the crushed limestone load without adding too much weight. The wagons are quite light as other buyers have noted but they run very well indeed.

HTH Paul

Edited by pharrc20

There was a reference to this online photo on the www.traintesting.com site quite a few pages back but nothing since - it’s my only hope to run one of these wagons with a degree of credibility! The image (not mine) is at Sileby in 1983.

http://www.traintesting.com/images/M4_0016.jpg

Any history to this lone wagon? And it’s very difficult to see if it has ICI lettering, painted over or taken off. Whether it has the TOPS panel (can’t see any black on the photo).

It’s loaded with what is presumably Limestone.

So which would be the closest? Presumably it’s ICI004A (no black TOPS) but difficult to say. Maybe ICI005A?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There was a reference to this online photo on the www.traintesting.com site quite a few pages back but nothing since - it’s my only hope to run one of these wagons with a degree of credibility! The image (not mine) is at Sileby in 1983.

http://www.traintesting.com/images/M4_0016.jpg

Any history to this lone wagon? And it’s very difficult to see if it has ICI lettering, painted over or taken off. Whether it has the TOPS panel (can’t see any black on the photo).

It’s loaded with what is presumably Limestone.

So which would be the closest? Presumably it’s ICI004A (no black TOPS) but difficult to say. Maybe ICI005A?

Hi londonbus

The wagon should be ICIM 19152 which was the first to be refurbished and had to be 'type tested' by the RTC before it could be used on the national network (as these were privately owned).

The image below shows the wagon outside the RTC at Derby during the testing.  The closest one to this is ICI004A which can be ordered here.

post-28458-0-43959400-1521464961_thumb.jpg

Image: BR(LMR)

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Paul

Any chance they will do more of the 60s battleship grey ones which have sold out,  could not get any information from Hattons.

Hi londonbus

The wagon should be ICIM 19152 which was the first to be refurbished and had to be 'type tested' by the RTC before it could be used on the national network (as these were privately owned).

The image below shows the wagon outside the RTC at Derby during the testing. The closest one to this is ICI004A which can be ordered here.

19152.JPG

Image: BR(LMR)

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Dave

Sorry thought this was 19052 prior to preservation at the SVR. My bad...!!

Edited by Garethp8873

• 2 weeks later...

hattons dave is there any news on when we can expect the weathered versions.

I asked this question today and my response was;

"Hi, we don't have a release date yet for the weathered ICI Hoppers I'm afraid. When we do have any information we will update our website. If there is anything else you need please let us know."

• 2 weeks later...

Well  Well,    4  ICI hoppers  turned  up here  today  and  very  nice  they  are  too,  Well  done  Oxford Rail & Hattons

Thing  is  the  current  00 layout  is  BR(S)  biased  so  I  don't  think  I   can  explain  the  presence   of  the  Hoppers  at  all

However  they  do  bring  back  many  childhood  memories  of  seeing  them  in  the  flesh!

• Like 1

All early pristine versions up to 70s sold out now, Hattons have surely underestimated the quantities produced why are they not on pre order, will have to wait till after the weathered ones appear.

Edited by paul 27

Well  Well,    4  ICI hoppers  turned  up here  today  and  very  nice  they  are  too,  Well  done  Oxford Rail & Hattons

Thing  is  the  current  00 layout  is  BR(S)  biased  so  I  don't  think  I   can  explain  the  presence   of  the  Hoppers  at  all

That's what I thought until I contacted Hattons:

Q - "Help me justify them on a Southern Railway / Region based layout!!"

A - "Oh well that one is easy. They could have been put on trial flows for any aggregate industry down on the South coast."

So there we are then.

Edited by PrestburyJack
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All early pristine versions up to 70s sold out now, Hattons have surely underestimated the quantities produced why are they not on pre order, will have to wait till after the weathered ones appear.

Maybe a/b releases with different numbers. I’m sure time will out more.

That's what I thought until I contacted Hattons:

Q - "Help me justify them on a Southern Railway / Region based layout!!"

A - "Oh well that one is easy. They could have been put on trial flows for any aggregate industry down on the South coast."

So there we are then.

My particular "reason" is ..............

that'll be the Bescot portion of the little known and never knowingly photographed Tunstead to Southampton train (for export) via the West Midlands, Banbury Oxford and the DN&S - often hauled by pairs of Claytons and the occasional Class 28 - Ruuuuuulllllllleeeee 1 stretched .................