Revolution Trains confirms TEA tanker in N

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

REVOLUTION CONFIRMS TEA TANKER AS SECOND MODEL

post-420-0-67259700-1427371757_thumb.jpg (photo Tom Smith and with kind permission of DB Shenker)

Revolution Trains – the new company that uses crowd-funding principles to produce niche train models – is proposing an all-new model of the latest generation of petroleum tankers in N gauge.

The model is to be produced by Revolution represents the TOPS-coded TEA wagons introduced from 2006, of which there are now several hundred running across the network.

The model will be produced by Rapido Trains of Canada, who are currently working on Revolution’s N-gauge Class 390 Pendolino model.

These wagons have been in service for nearly a decade, are in a variety of attractive liveries and operate over large parts of the network. Mike and I think they’re an obvious choice.

We are hoping to appeal not just to those customers who ordered a Pendolino, but also modern image N Gauge enthusiasts who model other parts of the country. A high-quality model of such an important type of wagon is long overdue.

The model will feature an injection moulded body with photo-etched catwalks and separately fitted brake gear and discharge chutes, allowing small but significant prototypical differences between wagons to be depicted.

The largest single operator of these wagons is the well-known leasing firm VTG, and the model is being produced with their full assistance and co-operation.

post-420-0-97522700-1427371825_thumb.jpg (photo Tom Smith and with kind permission of DB Shenker/VTG)

Paul Lugg, VTG’s Fleet Sales Manager, said: “We operate these wagons for several customers on the real railway, and they offer significant operational and environmental benefits over older designs. We are delighted that a high quality model of these important vehicles is going to be available.”

The models can be ordered via Revolution’s website singly or in packs of three, with different running numbers on each wagon. They will be available in three VTG liveries – red, blue and grey – along with Freightliner green. We also plan to offer them in EWS grey, subject to company approval.

A triple pack will also be available in the stylish green-and-white and blue-and-white colours of Greenergy, the UK’s newest bulk fuel rail operator. The operating efficiencies of rail travel were a significant factor in Greenergy’s decision to operate its own fleet of wagons. We will be working with Greenergy's designers to make sure the livery is as accurate as possible.

Andrew Owens, Greenergy Chief Executive, said: “We’ve recently regenerated rail infrastructure allowing us to transport over two million litres of fuel (the equivalent to over 50 road tankers) with each train load. Our branded wagons have really caught people’s attention, and I am looking forward to seeing them in miniature!”

post-420-0-53456400-1427403504_thumb.jpg

In use, the wagons operate from Grangemouth refinery to destinations in Scotland and Northern England, from refineries or storage terminals on Teeside and Humberside to the Midlands and the South West, and from South Wales to central England. Furthermore, new flows are expected in the next 12 months.

Go to our website if you want to register your interest. The final price of the model will depend on how many are ordered, but it's expected to be between £25 and 30 per model, which compares well to other current generation N gauge wagons.

If you're interested please register at our website and pledge for what you want. No money is taken now, but we do need to reach a minimum threshold to proceed, and the sooner we reach that threshold the sooner we can start! It's quite possible that since this model is considerably simpler than the Pendolino that it will arrive at about the same time.

Sorry to those who were hoping for something else - particularly something powered - but for our second model Mike and I thought it important not to overdo things, and to keep it simple and not too costly.

Any questions, of course please ask!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Andy Y
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

A little to new for my own modelling tastes but I wish the project well (especially if it shows Farish that there's a demand for them to upgrade their TEA tanker).

The graphic showing which livery ran where is an inspired idea!

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Excellent choice of model guys.

Ref the diagram, I hadn't realised they had started showing up ex Grangemouth either (just looked, it's indeed true!), which is nice - if it helps, you've also missed a big flow from Humberside up the ECML to Jarrow, further increasing their range.  

Lastly, bet it's not just N scalers who'd be interested in these...<edit> - That was quick!  :jester:

Edited by Glorious NSE

Fantastic! Only please please please make them in OO gauge too! I have always wanted a rake of Greenenergy TEAs for my GBRf Class 66s.

Good luck with the project, maybe if they are a good seller, you would considering OO?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Once we have got the N Gauge one underway we are seriously looking at offering the model in OO too; since we have done the research and we made a point of getting permission for both scales from VTG, Greenergy et al.

The difficulty is that Mike and I are not familiar with 4mm, so we would need a bit of guidance as to what the demand might be and what the balance is between detail/feature expectations and cost.  Having said that, Rapido have personnel who do know the OO market very well indeed.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Your topic title is misleading if delivery is conditional on sufficient deposits.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your comment but as the content of the first post makes what is being proposed very clear I am happy with it.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent choice of model guys.

Ref the diagram, I hadn't realised they had started showing up ex Grangemouth either (just looked, it's indeed true!), which is nice - if it helps, you've also missed a big flow from Humberside up the ECML to Jarrow, further increasing their range.  

Lastly, bet it's not just N scalers who'd be interested in these...<edit> - That was quick!  :jester:

Martyn,

Thanks for that - very helpful: map in OP duly updated!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Gold

Hello folks

I've just "upgraded" the expression of interest form: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/tea-wagon-project/tea-expressions-of-interest/

You no longer have to be logged in to complete it and there is an additional question on weathered stock.

If you have already completed the original form please don't worry about completing the new form - I will transfer your data across shortly. Then to work out how to display some nice bar charts of levels of interest in each livery!

Please don't forget there is no obligation at this stage.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

These graphics show the liveries we are proposing.

Singles:

post-420-0-11759900-1427384073_thumb.jpg

Triple packs:

post-420-0-78927000-1427384092_thumb.jpg

Please note the graphics are illustrative, and do not represent final artwork.  The DB versions will be produced subject to permission.

Details of specific wagon identities are available on the website.  We are also planning to produce a rub down set of data panels to allow simple renumbering of the TOPS versions.  These are relatively easy, since they are just white lettering on a black panel which will easily obscure any factory marking beneath.   It will be more awkward to renumber the UIC numbered wagons (ie the Greenergy ones and those with the VTG environmental messages on them) as the numbers are simply painted onto the wagon sides.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 4

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your comment but as the content of the first post makes what is being proposed very clear I am happy with it.

cheers

Ben A.

You may think it is clear but I don't, even when prompted I had to seach for it in the verbage. So thats 1-2 to those than thinks its clear.  

• RMweb Gold

You may think it is clear but I don't, even when prompted I had to seach for it in the verbage. So thats 1-2 to those than thinks its clear.  

I didnt have any issues finding it - just forgetting my password (however many say I am not normal :sungum: )

However the password is now sorted.

Hello Ben (& Mark),

Congratulations on this project, I wish you every success, especially if you do go 4mm with these great looking wagons.

May I be just a teensy weensy bit picky though, sorry!

On your map, Sinfin - Nottingham?

Not the Sinfin I and a great many other Derbians all know as it should be in Derby! Unless there is a Sinfin in Nottingham that I've never heard of?

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I don't think it is misleading to announce a model that is conditional on enough interest being expressed by supporters.

The whole point of Revolution Trains is to try a different approach for niche N Gauge models that the major manufacturers consider too risky.  We have said all along that we will do serious ground work on models, put them up for consideration by our supporters and those that generate enough interest will fly, those that do not won't.

This approach may be new to the British market but I think most people on RM Web will have seen the various Kickstarter/Pendolino/Revolution threads and be familiar with the concept by now.

Remember, for now all we want is genuine expressions of interest - we don't take any money unless the model reaches the required threshold to move to production.  And even then just 50% of the price is required up until the point of delivery.

But if you still feel you were misled perhaps we can just agree to disagree?

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Once we have got the N Gauge one underway we are seriously looking at offering the model in OO too; since we have done the research and we made a point of getting permission for both scales from VTG, Greenergy et al.

The difficulty is that Mike and I are not familiar with 4mm, so we would need a bit of guidance as to what the demand might be and what the balance is between detail/feature expectations and cost.  Having said that, Rapido have personnel who do know the OO market very well indeed.

cheers

Ben A.

Gents, I would guess the 4mm demand will be considerably greater than the 2mm, but it is a guess.

Why not add an OO gauge expression of interest page too, even if it explains that N is the initial priority? I'd have thought a nice 3 pack matched to relevant loco liveries would be a seller?

Your topic title is misleading if delivery is conditional on sufficient deposits. Andy

I'd have to agree with this.

I had a speed read earlier today and it was only towards the end of the announcement was the conditional part was clear. Should have been in the first sentence! It was almost after-thought or small print! Stick to N gauge but to me it's more more 'vapourware' I'm afraid. I'd be more inclined if the proposers showed their commitment to the project through, say, 25% initial funding to avoid too much kite flying...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Igor, Andy and Bomag,

I've reread my original post and reconsidered.

I still think that as we aren't taking money it's something of a moot point, and I can't seem to alter the title of the thread, but I've amended the sub heading and the opening sentence to reflect that this is a proposed model.

TBH interest so far has been such that I don't think it will be too long before we reach the minimum threshold but you're right - at this time I don't want to say for sure that the model is definitely going ahead so I have taken action.

Thanks for taking the time to offer constructive input.

FURTHER EDIT: Thank you to the Mods for altering the thread title too.  I agree it's important to avoid even the chance of any confusion.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Gold

Hello Rugged Peak,

Thanks for your note.

N is our primary focus, and we don't know that much about the OO market, so we don't want to get sidetracked for the time being. Once the N model is underway then we will look seriously at OO.

Mike and I are both wary of over stretching ourselves and we feel that limiting it to the TEA in N for now is good way of testing our concept in a manageable way.

Cheers

Ben A.

What brilliant news, a wide spread vehicle with plenty of variety in liveries, I've been genuinely surprised it hasn't been tackled before.

The re numbering transfers are a good shout, something that may be worth considering is including the dead fish diamond on this as the position can vary between wagons as they were applied as wagons were due maintenance, or perhaps this is a variable that could be done on the triple packs?

I like the selection of wagons being offered, each colour tends to work a specific flow,with the grey ones are used to bolster them as well as working their own flows. The Lindsey flows in particular are a mix of EWS and grey, with the odd green ex FLHH one thrown in. So despite the modern corporate look to most block trains, these TEAs offer a great chance to have a bit of variety in the train to people modelling most parts of the country.

Myself? I'll be looking to get some red ones and a grey one or two to go with my 3D printed Murco TDAs (and the rest of the rake when they get built!) to really help give the layout that South Wales feeling. That, and 6B33 is a train I've always wanted to model...:-)

jo

• Like 1