Revolution Trains confirms TEA tanker in N

Revolution Ben

The photo at the head of this article shows the anti-climb guard in safe position on the far left ladder, and unlocked on the nearer ladder. This is from the later batch of VTG wagons. An important detail for our modern safety conscious world.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/freight/single-view/view/high-capacity-tank-wagons-arrive-in-the-uk.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The new style TEA tankers are also working the services from Grangemouth to Riccarton, carrying domestic fuel.  The empties are seen here returning through Whifflet.

The train comprises 10 tanks in all, so is very modellable, with five new VTG tanks in red, two in grey, two old-style BP tanks in green and one in grey:

post-420-0-51532700-1441105140_thumb.jpg

Thanks to photographer Tom Smith for permission to use this image, and recorded the consist as: 

Loco 66023, then wagons 88118 (VTG red), 88134 (VTG red), 88093 (VTG grey), 87585 (BP grey), 88133 (VTG red), 87564 (BP green), 88035 (VTG gey), 88121 (VTG red), 88117 (VTG red), 87260 (BP green).

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Now that tooling is underway on this model I thought it might be helpful to summarise the various types we are producing. The type numbers mentioned below are just those we coined for ease of reference.

Type 1a

Represents wagons VTG 88115-142. Currently in VTG red livery.

post-420-0-53621900-1441312344_thumb.jpg

Type 1b

Represents wagons VTG 88143-174. Currently in VTG blue (14 wagons) and VTG grey (19 wagons)

post-420-0-88305900-1441312345_thumb.jpg

Type 2

Represents wagons 870200-344 in EWS livery and 871001-6 in Freightliner green (now still green but branded VTG)

post-420-0-92084100-1441312347_thumb.jpg

Type 3a

Represents wagons 83 70 7792 027-50 in VTG dark blue livery with various environmental messages

post-420-0-19371900-1441312349_thumb.jpg

Type 3b

Represents wagons 83 70 7792 001-26 in Greenergy blue or Efficient green livery.

post-420-0-94511200-1441312350_thumb.jpg

For anyone interested there is more detail about the specific differences between all the models on our website. Now the tooling has started we are hoping for test shots by November.

Thanks again to all those who have joined us in this project by pledging and making it possible. Now the model is in tooling we will be updating our website to allow supporters to confirm their orders and secure their models.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 4

Hello all,

Now that tooling is underway on this model I thought it might be helpful to summarise the various types we are producing.  The type numbers mentioned below are just those we coined for ease of reference.

Type 1a

Represents wagons VTG 88115-142. Currently in VTG red livery.

attachicon.gif1a - 1.jpg

Type 1b

Represents wagons VTG 88143-174.  Currently in VTG blue (14 wagons) and VTG grey (19 wagons)

attachicon.gif1b - 1.jpg

Type 2

Represents wagons 870200-344 in EWS livery and 871001-6 in Freightliner green (now still green but branded VTG)

attachicon.gif2 - 1.jpg

Type 3a

Represents wagons 83 70 7792 027-50 in VTG dark blue livery with various environmental messages

attachicon.gif3a - 1.jpg

Type 3b

Represents wagons 83 70 7792 001-26 in Greenergy blue or Efficient green livery.

attachicon.gif3b - 2.jpg

For anyone interested there is more detail about the specific differences between all the models on our website.  Now the tooling has started we are hoping for test shots by November.

cheers

Ben A.

Looks superb!!!

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Yes, now the CAD has moved to tooling we are ready to start confirming orders.

The price for a single wagon in any of the VTG liveries is £26, for EWS it's £27 which reflects the fee DBS charges for a licence and then as a percentage for each model sold.

As anyone following this thread will know, we have spent quite a lot of time working through the different detail v livery variations, and of course this has had an impact on the amount of tooling required and therefore the cost.

However, having said at the start that the price per wagon would be £20-30 I am happy we have been able to come in nearer the middle than the upper end of this range.  I think the price point compares well to similarly detailed models from other manufacturers, though of course this represents a factory price as customers will be ordering direct without the usual retailer markup.

If you are ready to confirm your order please go to http://www.revolutiontrains.com/product/tea/

We will take orders until we are ready to order the production numbers from Rapido.  We will be sure to give notice of when the order book is about to close, so hopefully no one will miss out.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Placed an initial order for a lengthy EWS set and some random grey/red VTG liveries yesterday, my dedicated savings account coming along nicely.  I hope to add an additional rake nearer the closing of the order book if I can keep that momentum up...

Regards, Gerry 8)

This is what I was hoping wouldn't happen. Having to find the money for the Pendo and the TEAs at the same time :(

Think it's going to have to be a wait until the last minute for the tankers and throw it on the credit card.

Will there be the option of differently numbered wagons?

Alistair

• RMweb Premium

This is what I was hoping wouldn't happen. Having to find the money for the Pendo and the TEAs at the same time :(

Think it's going to have to be a wait until the last minute for the tankers and throw it on the credit card.

Alistair

Hi

Perhaps I'm missing something here but the Pendolino has been around since January so 9 months to save the money for it so why is it a problem that the orders for the TEAs are now being accepted?

Cheers

Paul

Alistair

Couldn't agree more....

Hi

Perhaps I'm missing something here but the Pendolino has been around since January so 9 months to save the money for it so why is it a problem that the orders for the TEAs are now being accepted?

Cheers

Paul

There are many reasons....

1) Mr.XYZ couldn't have been aware that Revolution Trains was doing a Pendolino. He could have heard about it only yesterday and also heard about the TEA at the same time.

2) Mr.XYZ could be a N gauge modeler who has a vast layout and a layout that is still in the process of having rolling stock added. From January till now he could have still been purchasing rolling stock for his layout of which the Pendolino isn't one of them. And maybe he has realized that now he'd just like to have one.

3) Mr.XYZ could have had other financial aspects to look into since January and only now he has been able to have some free time to get some modelling done or to get back into the hobby.

4) Mr.XYZ could have been a new comer to the hobby and 2 modern era items from a well known manufacturer like Rapido are certainly a way to start apart from having a starter set.

Money had been saved up but a couple of other more immediate issues came up and I had to take a grenade to those savings.

These things happen, it's just a shame that 2 big new modern models have come up so close together.

And it doesn't help that a whole rake has to be ordered in one go otherwise you won't get them again for ages but that's a the nature of the funding process of it.

It's just unfortunate that the TEAs have progressed so quickly! Who would have thought we would ever be complaining about that!

I'm partly in Rusty's group 3. As I was up there as 1 of the early ones on the Kickstarter and an hour after it was opened through the website, so can't claim to be in the other groups.

Alistair

Edited by alibuchan

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alistair

Sorry about that! It was not our original plan, but when the opportunity came to produce the TEA we couldn't really turn it down.  Perhaps inevitably development has been much quicker than the Pendolino as it is a much simpler model (despite the variations!).

If it is any consolation to those of you waiting to pay balances on Pendolinos - we won't be asking for those until we are ready to confirm final production so you still have quite a bit of time on that front (considering we have not quite finalised the design of the Pendolino (just a few bits to complete) and we expect the Pendolino to require more testing/de-bugging than the TEA).

For most of the wagons there are alternative numbers for the single wagons and all the wagons in the triple packs.

Cheers, Mike

Mike,

Don't worry about it, It's nobody's fault and I can understand why it's happened given the respective complexity of both models. Believe me I'm not trying to put a dampener on all of the hard work that you and Ben have put in to both projects, which I am very greatful for. It just caught me at a bad time (30 mins after the second money grabbing issue).

Hopefully the pendolino will be a fair few months behind the TEAs, to give me a chance, to refill the pot a bit (overtime here I come!)

I was asking about the numbers because of thinking of ordering multiple packs of the greenergy ones. If they are going to be the same 3 numbers, then it's not a problem, with all the same numbered farish stock I'm currently running!

Alistair

• Like 1

@Mike
Would it be too late to suggest that the TEAs be supplied with a transfer sheet containing numbers? For a single tanker provide atleast 3 sets of numbers and for a triple pack maybe 9 sets of numbers?

@Alistair
I'm in the same boat mate.... I however discovered both and I simply want to have them, but no idea if I can. :( I wonder if they'l ever be done again. I want 1 Pendolino rake and 2 triple packs of the TEAs. I might have to settle for a 5-car Pendolino. All the Penolino's that I want are 11-car units :(

PS: I think the Pendolino is great value for money. £110 for a 5-car unit, £150 for a 9-car unit and £167.50 for an 11-car unit is excellent value. 

Edited by Rusty.J

• RMweb Premium

PS: I think the Pendolino is great value for money. £110 for a 5-car unit, £150 for a 9-car unit and £167.50 for an 11-car unit is excellent value. 

Hi

Sorry but I think you have the prices wrong on the Pendolino.

5 car £220

9 car £300

11 car £345

The prices you quote are for the 50% deposit.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

• RMweb Gold

@Mike

Would it be too late to suggest that the TEAs be supplied with a transfer sheet containing numbers? For a single tanker provide atleast 3 sets of numbers and for a triple pack maybe 9 sets of numbers?

@Alistair

I'm in the same boat mate.... I however discovered both and I simply want to have them, but no idea if I can. :( I wonder if they'l ever be done again. I want 1 Pendolino rake and 2 triple packs of the TEAs. I might have to settle for a 5-car Pendolino. All the Penolino's that I want are 11-car units :(

Hi Rusty

We are looking into getting transfer sheets produced - depending on how much they cost we might be able to supply them with the model (or sell them for a small amount).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but what Paul said is correct - the prices you quote are the 50% deposit prices for the Pendolino (if only we could produce Pendolinos that cheaply!).

Cheers, Mike

PS incidentally we had originally planned to offer a deposit scheme for the TEAs but finalising the price took longer than expected and design probably went quicker than expected so we didn't see much point in doubling admin in a short period of time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was asking about the numbers because of thinking of ordering multiple packs of the greenergy ones. If they are going to be the same 3 numbers, then it's not a problem, with all the same numbered farish stock I'm currently running!

The initial plan is each wagon (triple or single) will be a unique number.  Based on the expressions of interest tt is possible for some of the more popular liveries (EWS grey, Greenergy in particular) that we will receive enough orders to do two runs of numbers for each triple pack but I can't confirm that until we see the number of orders!

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

Hi Ben/Mike

Can you help me with a couple of questions (I've read the thread but apologies if I've missed a previous answer)

Which colour schemes have been used for aviation fuel- presumably the flow to RAF Leuchers (VTG grey?) but are there any others?

what's the length of these wagons in N?- need to know how many I can fit onto my layout

Do I assume correctly that you opted not to pursue factory weathering?

Thanks for the work you're doing, looking forward to your next round of announcements

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hello Rob,

We haven't yet finalised the prospect of factory weathering, because I only want to offer it if I can be confident it is as good as anything else available. If we do, we will give all customers the opportunity to amend their order if they wish.

The tanks in use in Scotland are a combination of VTG grey, blue and recently red, but I am not sure which of these has been used on the Leuchars flow, if any. I have a feeling that this flow may have stopped, or be 4-wheel wagons.

cheers

Ben A.