Revolution Trains confirms TEA tanker in N

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Progress continues with these models. Rapido have sent us approval images of the packaging. Each model will be supplied in its own clear plastic box with a protective vac-formed tray. Ignore the white sticker on the wagon in the box, it's just a factory label as the wagon is a sample:

post-420-0-07507100-1470245517.jpeg

The boxes have our own engraved lid:

post-420-0-79517000-1470245476.jpeg

There are more photos on our website, including images for the triple packs. We have tried to make the packaging attractive, while reflecting our house style, and we hope customers like it!

Rapido say it's taken the factory longer than expected to actually manufacture these models. Apparently it's because there are far more tampo print passes required than they initially realised. Because of the curvature of the barrel the markings on the lower, middle and upper sections have to be applied in separate passes.

Anyway, it's good to see progress and now they are at the packaging stage we are hoping the models will not be too much longer - Mike and I are as eager to start running them as anyone!

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The packaging looks very similar to that used by Atlas, Microtrains, Kato US etc and should be much more robust than a Farish cardboard box and easier to get a model in/out than a Dapol foam lined plastic box.

How does it compare in size to Dapol & Farish boxes?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve,

From memory the clear plastic boxes are a little longer, the same height, and narrower than Farish card ones, and about the same length and height, but narrower, than Farish or Dapol clear plastic ones.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Rapido have sent us a couple of videos showing assembly and QC work on the TEA tankers. This video shows inspections of the tampo printing and paint finish on the red VTG versions, among other things.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6peymerm0oybm9e/TEA1.MP4?dl=0

There's another link on the news pages of the Revolution Trains website.

Hopefully it won't be too long before these models are ready to leave the factory.

Thanks again to everyone who has pledged to make this happen.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Here is a link to Rapido's latest UK newsletter: http://conta.cc/2baXyor

They believe the TEAs will be leaving the factory at the end of this month, but explains that they have had to increase production significantly to cope with our models and that has caused some delays.

Cheers

Ben A.

• 2 weeks later...

Extract from 00 TEA thread:

However, there is no reason we cannot sweat some of the assets - for example with a new tank body moulding (and maybe some extra discharge parts; I haven't looked into it seriously yet) we can offer the distinctive Lindsay-Preston bitumen tanks using existing bogies, air brake gear, couplers etc.

In terms of gauging demand then our expressions of interest system offers us that via the website.  If, say, we need 1000 orders to justify the new bitumen tanker body tool then we can open up registrations and once enough people have signed up we can press the button, as we did with these TEAs.

Ah, some proper TEA(s) that you can stand your spoon up in. 

Ben / Mike, I hope you "asset sweat" the n gauge side of things first, I'll take 25 to get you going.  IIA-D next then eh?

By the time you've got all these out, the layout to run them all on could well be ready..........  HA!

Cheers, Andy.

Edited by thelochtatmonster
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Visitors to the N Gauge International Show at Leamington this weekend can see the final production models of our TEA tankers.

These were pulled out of the production line and air-freighted for the show; the main consignment leaves the factory early next week.

This is our recreation of the Colas train that runs from Grangemouth to Dalston in Cumbria. The train comprises 18 wagons to Carlisle yard and is then tripped to the terminal at Dalston, about 6 miles away, in sets of six as that is all the unloading siding can accommodate.

post-420-0-23832700-1473529510_thumb.jpeg

These are the Greenergy tankers which are being supplied in triple packs comprising two blue and one green, the same relative proportions as the prototype rakes:

post-420-0-67652500-1473529556_thumb.jpeg

These models are no longer available to buy from us but some are available from C&M Models in Carlisle and Collets of Exmouth, though I think a some have already sold out completely.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Outside of my layout timeframe (just like the Pendolino is) but having seen both at TINGS today they look excellent. Great work to all involved.

If I were a modern image modeller these would be high up on the wish list.

• RMweb Gold

Outside of my layout timeframe (just like the Pendolino is) but having seen both at TINGS today they look excellent.

Hi maq,

Did you see our leaflets for KFA container flats and 40' hi-cube containers or Class B tankers.

I hope that they might be in your timeframe!

Cheers

Ben A.

Having held some tankers in my hand today I can say they are a real quality product and properly weighted for reliable running. Ben explained the steel rod inside each barrel to bring the weight to the NMRA standard. The Dalston train was running around the elevated layout without a hint of wobble or any hunting between the wagons. I have a real liking for the real wagons and the models certainly do the prototype justice. Looking forward to receiving mine in the coming month or two. Congratulations to Revolution for achieving what looks like a "right first time" model as their first to be delivered.

• Like 1

Thanks to Ben A. for mention that we may have some of the N gauge TEAs unsold.

The EWS and Freightliner versions are all sold.

We still have a few of each of the other versions available, but we have taken a few orders over the past 24 hours, presumably on the back of people having seen these excellent models in the flesh.

Mike at C&M Models

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

It turns out I lied in the post above.

The full production of TEA wagons won't be leaving the factory early next week, because they left it earlier today...Rapido have just sent us this photo:

post-420-0-16377700-1473629479_thumb.jpeg

Now we just have to wait for them to be shipped - and not by Hanjin!

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 7

Hi Ben/Mike;

This is hugely exciting news that these models are now on their way. I did joke with Mike yesterday about the Hanjin container safely negotiating the Somali coastline.....but it looks like my outsize parcel will be here in 6-8 weeks....cracking news!

Just need to tell the other half that I'm only receiving them for Pete@EGLM so that his wife doesn't see them. Likewise, he will probably be spinning the same line on my behalf....

Great to see main batch on the move and get to handle them at Leamington yesterday....I didn't look too closely at the Pendolino as there was a throng around the stand for most of the time.

Later;

STU from EGDL

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the kind words. I know a lot of people were struck by the weight of the models which we specified to NMRA standards.

The models on display were lifted from the main production batch and air-freighted to us last week just in time for the show.

I must admit that on Thursday when I went over them carefully I was a little nervous: What if they'd mis-printed some livery element, or mis-spelled a word? What if the detail variations (different combinations of roof hatches/discharge taps/brake gear/bogie dampers/catwalks etc) were combined wrongly, or used on the wrong livery?

Luckily every variation on the spreadsheet is absolutely correct, and I am genuinely delighted with them.

We proposed this model at the end of March last year, so allowing a little time longer for shipping it will still be less than 18 months between announcement and delivery of our first model, and we could not have done it without the support of N Gauge enthusiasts who were ready to trust us, step forward and make this happen.

Iff you'd had a chance to see the Pendolino on display you'd know the pesky coupler problem has now been sorted and we are very close to authorising full production.

I don't know how long it will take Rapido to actually manufacture approx 10,000 separate vehicles but I am very optimistic now that the Pendo will be with customers within two years of commencement. I am putting a few more details of latest Pendolino news on our thread here and our website.

Going forward, knowing now what we did not know then, I am hoping that we can bring these timescales down, though of course we won't rush products we don't think are ready.

And once we have actually begun delivering actual N-gauge models to customers, Mike and I will feel confident that we have the credibility to make some more exciting announcements; probably at Warley which we are attending with our stand.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You're absolutely right to be delighted Ben, both models look superb. That you've run the project alongside a busy day job is testament to your, and Mike's, skill.

I can't wait for my 15 Greenergy TEAs! You just need to stop designing models that I really want dammit, I've got no room on the layout!