Revolution Trains confirms TEA tanker in N

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Ben

How easy is it to take on of these tankers apart, or at least the end off. I intend fitting a working tail light and will need access to change the small battery.

We will find one with a loose barrel end for you Ian ;-) Seriously I don't know, I nearly tried to deconstruct one at the weekend but decided I had best keep it pristine for display at the show.

Cheers, Mike

Edited by red death
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We will find one with a loose barrel end for you Ian ;-) Seriously I don't know, I nearly tried to deconstruct one at the weekend but decided I had best keep it pristine for display at the show.

Cheers, Mike

Mike

Not to worry, as I will find out when one arrives but had a feeling that you or Ben might be inquisitive to see how they are assembled.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

The preproduction samples weren't too hard to take to bits, but like Mike I haven't tried to with these lovely finished ones!

This is how though:

First, I recommend choosing the non-ladder end to avoid an additional dimension of pain! Undo the bogie fixing screw and remove. Then unclip the end/buffer fairing being careful that the coupler mounting plate doesn't ping off. Once this is clear you should be able to gently ease off the barrel end. The only thing I don't yet know is whether they have glued them in place on the production models. They should still come off, of course, but might need a tad more force!

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Ha - well, as I am almost certain you'll be interested in our next model the only answer is to build a bigger layout!

Cheers

Ben A.

Now I like the sound of that Ben - just hope it comes OO gauge too ! Haha

Sorry for crashing the 'N' gauge thread.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Shoey,

You'll know we are primarily focussed on the N Gauge market, and often we select models precisely because there is a legacy OO model available so it's unlikely the major manufacturers will bother producing it in N.

That's the case here; however once we have announced it in N then if the response is that we should do it in OO too then I am sure Rapido would be interested.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Hi Shoey,

You'll know we are primarily focussed on the N Gauge market, and often we select models precisely because there is a legacy OO model available so it's unlikely the major manufacturers will bother producing it in N.

That's the case here; however once we have announced it in N then if the response is that we should do it in OO too then I am sure Rapido would be interested.

cheers

Ben A.

"It's always tease, tease, tease. You're happy when we're on our knees!"

With thanks to The Clash

John P

Mike or Ben,

Had to post this somewhere so seeing as these will be first delivered why not here?

I am currently in the process of moving house so if I change address details in my account with Revolution Trains will my goods automatically go to new address or do I need to advise you in another way? 

Cheers in advance

Barry

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ben, Mike and Jason for delivering such a great product in such relatively short space of time.

Mine are yet to arrive, but having seen the production models you had flown over for TINGs I can't wait.

You've certainly raised the bar for British N Gauge and deserve a great deal of credit for the hard work you've put in to make the dream a reality.

The transparency you've provided in terms of keeping supporters fully up to speed with progress has been really refreshing too.

Next for the Pendo (much wants more...)

Regards

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ben, Mike and Jason for delivering such a great product in such relatively short space of time.

...The transparency you've provided in terms of keeping supporters fully up to speed with progress has been really refreshing too...

Regards

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the kind words.

On our website we have acknowledged the amazing work Rapido have done on this model. They have been magnificent to work with, and always seemed prepared to do that little bit extra to make these models special.

You'll probably know they have a strong reputation in N America for quality and accuracy, and in entering the UK market, with the APT-E and now these models, they were very protective of that reputation, which made them determined to work with us to make these models as good as they could be.

It also helps that they're all genuine enthusiasts, and Jason Shron is something of an Anglophile too.

One thing I have learned with this project, now I reflect back, is that it is vital that you have a manufacturing partner with experience and a positive ethos. It is one thing to start a crowd-funding initiative, but quite another to maintain the momentum through to the end, especially when difficulties arise.

We have been contacted by other people looking to produce crowdfunded models themselves, and are happy to pass on any help or tips we can, but no one should be under any illusions about the challenges of establishing credibility with fellow modellers - so they're willing to give you cash up front - with publications and the railway modelling forums - to generate awareness for your project - and in our case with these modern vehicles with the "big railway" industry too - to ensure permissions and access is achieved to sensitive sites or protected intellectual property.

The transparency you mention is an important part of that - people trusting you with their money deserve to know what's going on, and with the Internet there is no reason not to tell them.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Opened mine tonight, I'm impressed.. making me want more!

Would it be too cheeky to ask how many wagons you actually produced in total and which liveries was there most demand for?

Thanks, Matt

Hi Matt

Well over 3000 and EWS was the most popular by some distance.  For the other liveries there was a fairly nice spread of interest (which enabled us to do all the liveries!).

Cheers, Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My TEA's ran well at the weekend. Just a couple of problems to begin with.

One was a short. Turned out to be one of the resistance wheelset had a bridge across the isolated wheel aswell as the resistor. This rear tanker then derailed a few times. I hadn't put the original axle back in properly!!

There is nothing like testing a 20 tank rake than at a show running all day on curved fiddleyard tracks and banks of curved turnouts with a number of different locos at the front.

They ran well even with the short Dapol fixed knuckles on the tighter 11.5 inch radius curves. Buffers almost touch but they didnt derail. since the show, all the tankers now have these instead of the original couplers apart from the front tank whihc has a Dapol Easi Shunt. This does tend to droop a bit too much but a spot of superglue was used to hold the coupler slightly upwards.

Prior to their first run the odd tanker did have a slightly stiff bogie but slackening the screw a part of a turn resolved this.

Those who missed ordering these, youve missed out on a superb quality model. :sungum: