Which of the new build locos is the nearest to be finished?

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Gold

Or a flip question could be "which are likely to be finished"

I don't know about narrow gauge but I think the G5 is making good progress as is the P2 (even at this early stage) but I think there are a few that won't get far (Ok I'll say it.......The Clan...)

I don't keep up with them all but It comes down to money, those 2 locos either have the large items purchased or a good business case and experience, whereas some of the others are trying to fund a multi million pound purchase with the proceeds from a jumble sale.

• RMweb Premium

I think the Standard 3 tank will be OK too.  Not so sure about.......the Clan.......Patriot maybe, although that does now have cylinders........and the J39 (Remember that?  thought not).

The 'rebuild' projects will mature I think.  47XX, Grange.

• RMweb Premium

Oh Neil...really.....where is my head this morning.......of course 'Brown Bear' continues apace, halfway there with funding, and our Sea Lion project at Trackshack is a fund raiser for this project, as John and myself are deeply involved at the Groudle Glen Railway.

We have erected frames, wheels, most of the (unusual) valve gear, cylinders are being machined as we speak, front bogie, smokebox, chimney and many little parts.  We're about half way there with construction too, which will be picking up pace now our winter track laying is finished and work on the other locos eases off.  Annie (our 10 year old Bagnall replica - we've done all this before....or at least our CME has!) has new cylinders made from the same castings as Brown Bear and is about to re-enter service too.

The Patriot is on target to steam in September 2017. By the end of this year all the big bits will have been manufactured. Next year onwards is mainly assembly. Bogies is a kit of parts. Most of the motion is in hand. Cylinders are currently being fitted to the frames. Inner firebox is a kit of parts to be assembled over the next few months. Boiler Barrel was rolled two weeks ago. Tender due to be complete by the middle of next year.

Just need to keep the money coming in!

Could well be the next new build to steam.

You could do with having a look on NP where this topic pops up every month or so it seems.

I dunno what NP means. I’m a member of the “colonies”.... Actually your comment may not have been aimed at me.

Best, Pete

NP = National preservation forum.

Only going on latest updates from various projects. The Patriot and 82045 should be finished (funding and work permitting) pretty close together. 6880 needs the have the boiler and other work done on the chassis. 32424 needs the boiler to be overhauled as well. The G5 has just moved across the road from RRNE in Shildon. Going off their updates and flickr photos. They aren't far off the long run to final assembly.

The P2 is quietly but very quickly coming together in Darlington.

But the usual caveat applies to any new build and loco overhaul. They will be ready when they are ready. I will throw one loco into all of this "new build" just simply by going on how much work has had to be done on the loco. 34027 is coming along very quickly inside Bridgnorth. May the 16th is a looming date when the loco has to be ready. It is all hands to the pumps to get her finished.

What about 762 LYN, that's hoped to be completed at the end of this year I think.

Chris

A race between those two for the next 'new build' to steam. Both well thought out and well funded schemes.

Of the Standard guage schemes, the only one I have full confidence in competion in the target timescales is the Patriot 'Unknown Warrior'. Of the others there seems to be a lot of good intent, but in many cases too much wishful thinking and too little funding...

Archived