Fowler 2-6-0 (1918 Association of Railway Locomotive Engineers in 1917 and 1918,)

• RMweb Premium

Well here goes nothing. I have needed an excuse to build something and my dearly beloved has been telling me for ages I needed to pick up a soldering Iron again after 4 or so years.

I know that many are doing scratch builds or kits that will be lovely. I'm not sure if this will be lovely but it will be different and hopefully not a disaster. 

The background to this is I have always had an interest in locos that were not built and have done a number of sets of etchings, but then got no further. As many of you will know in 191/ 18 when thoughts turned to what would happen with the railways after the war there was a suggestion of nationalisation. The members of the Association of Railway Locomotive Engineers in 1917 and 1918 discussed possible engines that might have formed the basis of standard locomotives. This body had among its members the key superintendents of railways in both the UK and Ireland. One of the proposals which emerged was for a 2-6-0, which looked to all intense purposes in the same family as the S&D 2-8-0.

This is a placeholder as I will build this over the next few months.

I started with a drawing of the valve gear and then set forth to make some etchings. I will see if I can dig out the artwork which was drawn the old fashioned way and was only my second ever attempt (I have no idea if will go together)

So I guess this is part kit build and part scratch build, though sadly not to the quality of some of like Jazz.

Edited by Blandford1969

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the interest in this. Here is the original GA that sparked my interest. Not sure if Id say it was a pure N, but I can understand what you mean

post-5625-0-79271000-1427571165_thumb.jpg

From that I needed to work out what the frames and valve gear might look like and got to this:

Sorry for the dodgy drawing. Next came drawing the artwork which I don't have being at the excellent Grainge and Hodder, who are so forgiving for my poor artwork.

I will dig out the etches tomorrow and then aim to make a start on construction over Easter. I have made a number of assumptions and changes so it has a Fowler tender rather than Johnson tender and the chimney is a S&DJR 7F chimney, only time will tell if that is a mistake.

Duncan

Edited by Blandford1969

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

So you could end up with something like a Southern 'N' Class with a Compound/2-8-0 boiler. I may get a GBL N after all.

There was a drawing in Back Track a few months ago of a very similar ARLE design that looked like a N class mogul, but with a round top firebox.

There must be quite a few ARLE designs out there that would form interesting projects.

The ARLE idea, wasn't that what the Woolwich Arsenal had in mind when it started constructing the N's ??? Economical, powerful ( for it's size & time), with a wide route availability, one of the best designs of it's time.

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That was my understanding of the idea behind it. 

I have now dug out most of the etchings needed for this project

post-5625-0-76356700-1428671116_thumb.jp First here are the frames, I'm afraid they are hand drawn artwork and one of my early ones. Sill you get the idea

Here next is the body, designed to fold up as much as possiblepost-5625-0-90861500-1428671151_thumb.jp

Finally for now the tender body. I decided to do a Fowler 3500 gallon tender as I think the engines would have been given these to improve availability, well its my excuse. This etch was definatley one that was a try too far. I attempted to get the whole of the tender front to fold up, but it does not quite work as will be seen.

post-5625-0-31471900-1428671315_thumb.jp

The one I forgot to dig out, which I do like are the tender frames. I hope to make a start on building the frames and body very soon

post-5625-0-76356700-1428671116_thumb.jpg

post-5625-0-90861500-1428671151_thumb.jpg

post-5625-0-31471900-1428671315_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Thanks for the interest in this. Here is the original GA that sparked my interest. Not sure if Id say it was a pure N, but I can understand what you mean

attachicon.gifFowler 2-6-0053.jpg

From that I needed to work out what the frames and valve gear might look like and got to this:

Sorry for the dodgy drawing. Next came drawing the artwork which I don't have being at the excellent Grainge and Hodder, who are so forgiving for my poor artwork.

I will dig out the etches tomorrow and then aim to make a start on construction over Easter. I have made a number of assumptions and changes so it has a Fowler tender rather than Johnson tender and the chimney is a S&DJR 7F chimney, only time will tell if that is a mistake.

Duncan

What an interesting locomotive, that! I hope it's worth attempting in 00 gauge as a working model. I bet it'll look great in either S&DJR Prussian Blue or LMS Crimson Red - what do you think?

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I’ve read that the ARLE had chosen the Maunsell N as it’s standard 2-6-0, but I have always wondered why the MR didn’t build on the principle of the 7f. A 2-6-0 version would have put paid to the crab that was later mass produced and perhaps stanier wouldn’t have needed to design his mogul as it was only produced in small numbers anyway. Who knows, if the 7f has been multiplied, perhaps there would have been less need for the Austin 7’s and the 8f. 

• RMweb Premium

Maybe, sorry this has been so quiet. My anxiety and depression got the better of me a few years ago and its only very recently I have started to get a bit better. I'd like to start on this again, however it will be when I am in the right place to continue, hopefully this year.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• 3 weeks later...

What about something like this?

image.png.ce1689ad648d3358adf306173b284102.png

RobinsonProductions on DA has made an experimental Fowler mogul in Garry's mod. Worth an attempt in model form!

P.S: I did not make this - I found it on a website and I give credit to the creator.

Edited by LNWR18901910
  • Funny 2

• 4 months later...

In 1918 the Midland already had a fabulous new mixed traffic loco in the brand new "Super" (heated) 4F  0-6-0 having tested the two prototypes for 6 years before starting series production in 1917.  A loco destined to remain in production for some 20 ish years, twice as long as the Crab,  and 775 units so why would they want a 2-6-0?    Still the Fowler Mogul would make a nice loco and one Bachmann are not likely to bring out in 00 RTR before you finish scratch building one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/09/2019 at 02:11, DavidCBroad said:

In 1918 the Midland already had a fabulous new mixed traffic loco in the brand new "Super" (heated) 4F  0-6-0 having tested the two prototypes for 6 years before starting series production in 1917.  A loco destined to remain in production for some 20 ish years, twice as long as the Crab,  and 775 units so why would they want a 2-6-0?    Still the Fowler Mogul would make a nice loco and one Bachmann are not likely to bring out in 00 RTR before you finish scratch building one.

I agree. Still, one could always take the S&DJR 7F 2-8-0 and cut it down to a 2-6-0.