Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely fantastic modelling.

Thanks Stu! If you heard a loud yell this morning, it's because I dropped one of the vehicles on the floor as I was taking it outside to be primed. Took a whole modelling session to get it fixed  :banghead:

Your first carman is moonlighting from his job as one of the Tsar's body doubles.

Yes, he does have that lean, bearded and distinguished look. I happen to have a casual interest in Rasputin, maybe he could make an appearance too. The period fits...

This thread just gets more and more fascinating

John

Thanks John, I can see how horse drawn wagons could easily become a whole hobby in itself. Someone ought to model this: https://www.steampicturelibrary.com/paddington-mint-stables-yard-and-offices-c1920s/print/6300314.html

I am using some Langley figures for the first time in my Cake Box Challenge, and wondered about modifying the heads. Your customising has created some lovely character detail!

Thanks Marly. I agree about the Langley heads. The range includes the occasional good body, but the heads and faces are often very coarse, I think. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mikkel,

Just amazing modelling as usual.

My friend had a shire horse called Joseph who was 19 hands, but he was BIG.  He had a lovely temperament but he had to sell him in the end as he had been trained to pull brewery wagons and when he went, he went.  My friend was 6ft 4" and just had enough strength to control him.

Your body modification has me prompted me to think again about my 'signal box lad'.  The only H0 figure I could use has a beard.  I can hear the Queen of Hearts saying, 'Off with his Head!'.

• Like 2

In any case, yesterday at midnight I heard strange noises from the basement. As I went to investigate, I found this ghoulish scene on my workbench. I suppose it was bound to happen, given all the butchering that’s been going on lately!

There's always been a 'dark' side to the Scandinavian temperament.  Are you still suffering from Denmark losing first place in the world happiness stakes?

• RMweb Premium

.... then of course there's the harness' to be attended to.

But a quick look at Goggle images with 'horse harness', gives you plenty of references.

Harness for horses in something like etched brass would be very welcome.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Mikkel,

Just amazing modelling as usual.

My friend had a shire horse called Joseph who was 19 hands, but he was BIG.  He had a lovely temperament but he had to sell him in the end as he had been trained to pull brewery wagons and when he went, he went.  My friend was 6ft 4" and just had enough strength to control him.

Your body modification has me prompted me to think again about my 'signal box lad'.  The only H0 figure I could use has a beard.  I can hear the Queen of Hearts saying, 'Off with his Head!'.

Thanks Chris. Joseph sounds formidable!

I wonder what Station Master Price of Traeth Mawr will think of your planned head swopping. He doesn't strike me as someone who would favour such progressive staff management policies  :sarcastic:

There's always been a 'dark' side to the Scandinavian temperament.  Are you still suffering from Denmark losing first place in the world happiness stakes?

Frankly it's a relief. We can finally relax again! And Nordic Noir is just a smart facade. What we really want is Midsomer Murders. We're on the umpteenth re-run  :laugh:

.... then of course there's the harness' to be attended to.

But a quick look at Goggle images with 'horse harness', gives you plenty of references.

I'm debating whether to model the reins etc or just leave them off. It looks great when modelled, but I've found it can be a pain if you want to move the vehicles once in a while.

Harness for horses in something like etched brass would be very welcome.

That's an interesting idea. Kevin has used thread for the reins with excellent results.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave, that sounds like a good idea. I had a look in your blog posts and assume that's how the reins in your photo here were done. Looks good. I don't  think I have any source of copper wire at home to hand, but maybe some 0.1 mm wire like this on ebay could work...

• Like 1

Hi Mikkel

Just catching up properly with with these Frankenstein like posts and have been greatly impressed by the results off mixing body parts from different manufacturers, though I haven't attempted any myself yet I did get around to looking at what figures I had in stock to play around with, I have a lot more than what I thought I had. Plenty of options to be had then, I knew there must have been a reason for me buying them whenever I saw them. ;) 

I picked up quite a few horses at last years York show too so it's a great big thanks from me for showing us what can done, now all I need is lots of time and a new saw blade.

You do know you are making my to do list longer don't you and if it gets much bigger I'll have to keep modelling until I'm 110 years old or more :mosking:

Jim

• Like 3

I don't  think I have any source of copper wire at home to hand, but maybe some 0.1 mm wire like this on ebay could work...

No odd mains leads knocking around? I just checked a piece of standard domestic flex with 1mm conductor and its got I reckon 30 or 40 strands of 0.1mm copper...
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mikkel

Just catching up properly with with these Frankenstein like posts and have been greatly impressed by the results off mixing body parts from different manufacturers, though I haven't attempted any myself yet I did get around to looking at what figures I had in stock to play around with, I have a lot more than what I thought I had. Plenty of options to be had then, I knew there must have been a reason for me buying them whenever I saw them. ;)

I picked up quite a few horses at last years York show too so it's a great big thanks from me for showing us what can done, now all I need is lots of time and a new saw blade.

You do know you are making my to do list longer don't you and if it gets much bigger I'll have to keep modelling until I'm 110 years old or more :mosking:

Jim

Jim, the entire purpose of this thread is to keep you going until you're 110 or more  :)

Mixing body parts from different figures is, I think, an example that no matter how good the manufacturers become, there's always scope for changing things. Sometimes the result isn't as good as the original figure, but who cares as long as some modelling got done. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

No odd mains leads knocking around? I just checked a piece of standard domestic flex with 1mm conductor and its got I reckon 30 or 40 strands of 0.1mm copper...

Ah yes, of course, thanks Jim. I did think about using layout wire but thought the strands would be too thin. Main leads sound good though.

• Like 3

Jim, the entire purpose of this thread is to keep you going until you're 110 or more  :)

Mixing body parts from different figures is, I think, an example that no matter how good the manufacturers become, there's always scope for changing things. Sometimes the result isn't as good as the original figure, but who cares as long as some modelling got done. 

it looks as if I am in for a long and happy life modelling then.

I have a small cameo on the bench at the moment but I am not totally happy with it but, with a bit of Mikkel style cosmetic surgery and a few other alterations it should be much better, that's when I get back to it of cours., It's on the list.

Jim

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Said goodbye to my workbench today, we’re moving and I can’t take it with me. So it's been cleared and disposed of. Sob! Farewell sweet workbench! 

Those were the days my friend

42328450830_ddaf971c87_c.jpg

We thought they'd never end

30269618958_40d857e93d_c.jpg

We'd sing and dance forever and a day

post-738-0-99808600-1523743794.gif

We'd live the life we choose

30269618828_8ec006e847_b.jpg

We'd fight…

26617337209_b0d1cba6b3_c.jpg

…and never lose (ahem)

26617339179_1a46f3b735_c.jpg

For we were young and sure to have our way

43230811055_f1195f7452_c.jpg

La la la la la la 

42328816160_846fd33929_c.jpg

La la la la la la 

35531813892_2df29c3f07_c.jpg

La la la la

42328906830_7f462ebafb_c.jpg

La la la

43230906965_99f2650674_c.jpg

Laaaaa !

30269505908_8ecd80b02e_c.jpg

Have you hugged your workbench today?  :jester:

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Ha ha, thanks Matt, although a crow is more likely  :)

PS, for those who don't follow the blogs I did manage to finish the horse drawn wagons discussed earlier. 

43846971321_8ab7bbb54b_c.jpg

43828015742_7863c9101d_c.jpg

42102789200_9280c90453_c.jpg

You'll have to imagine the reins etc for now, as I'll need to set up and take down the layout frequently in our new flat, so I'm not sure those fiddly bit will be practical. Details and more photos are in the blog.
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

But, but, but...what are we going to do?? We’ll never be able to manage without..

I know. The world will stand still and everyone's lives will be meaningless  :jester:

Good luck with the move and I hope your new work bench will be up and running very soon.

Duncan.

Thanks Duncan, looks like our dining table will be the new workbench. I promised my wife to keep it nice and clean  :laugh:

Good luck!  Some of us already have to manage on the kitchen table (in turns with the other half).

We have however just acquired a Silhouette Cameo thanks to you.  You might like to let us know what spare blades we should buy!

We shall keep watching

Regards

Ray

• Like 2

Mikkle

Good luck with the move and I hope you are as happy in your new house as we are. We moved 30 months ago and for the first 21 mths worked off the table, past 8 mths have a room but still too busy with the remodeling of the property. Soon will be back modelling properly again

• Like 1

I can understand your concerns Mikkel but I'm certain the house move is in good hands.....

post-20303-0-37435200-1534709514.jpg

However, I not sure that all of your modelling equipment will get there at the same time......

post-20303-0-36167800-1534709603.jpg

All the very best and hope you and the family settle into your new house.

G

• Like 7