Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

I also altered the ModelU figures as well to fit into my old Deans Good when I renovated it.

You had be careful because they could fracture is not treated carefully but superglue and Squadron filler appears to have adhered well..

I am a great fan of them because of the level of detail cast into them

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/03/2019 at 21:31, Charlie586 said:

Fantastic  painting, Mikkel. That's a great scene in front of 835.

Pickle S Finkerby could resemble Poiroit if given a different moustache.

Off to your blog to read more.

Thanks Charlie. I think the closest we have to a Poirot at Farthing is Detective Benton from the GWR Detective Dept at Paddington (which really did exist) and his local sidekick Walmsley from the GWR Police.

1652699453_2015-11-22-22_01.57ZSDmap_crop_1800(1).jpg.c854da8799a46a60f22a254122058d7a.jpg

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Good to see that these prints can be glued and sanded much like plastic.    I've always thought the material to be a little overly pliable for positive work like that.    A 3D-printed wargaming mini I picked up a couple of years ago resisted everything short of a sharp X-Acto blade.

Yes I was also pleasantly surprised, given the material. Not sure what the correct name is for the Modelu material is by the way. Would be good to know when selecting glue etc. 

20 hours ago, KNP said:

I also altered the ModelU figures as well to fit into my old Deans Good when I renovated it.

You had be careful because they could fracture is not treated carefully but superglue and Squadron filler appears to have adhered well..

I am a great fan of them because of the level of detail cast into them

That's good to hear Kevin. Incidentally, I've been wondering if the red chap in the middle here is you with a cap on? It reminds me of your mini-me.

image.png.cc3fc5882239868eb82b577000ab0172.png

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

but that of course leaves the now headless body

Good job there aren't any chickens on your layout !  :lol:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Rather nice: creates something which is not quite the same as everyone else’s.

Thanks. Yes that's an added bonus. Everything can be modified! Hopefully it also gives him a bit of an Edwardian feel.  

Not all heads are that easily swopped though, the whitemetal and pewter figures often have slightly overscale heads, so I think some of them would look wrong on Modelu bodies.

20 minutes ago, bgman said:

Good job there aren't any chickens on your layout !  :lol:

How do you know there aren't! :D

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MikeOxon said:

Lots of dark Nordic undertones here, with all these mutilated bodies ...

He’ll be building a bridge next.

And to avoid producing a straight copy, someone else will build a tunnel...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Mikkel,

Brilliant as ever.  I assume he has shrunk as well?

Hi Chris, yes I made him a bit shorter, so as to fit the period and cab.

PS: I will try not to paint him too scruffy, I know you believe in maintaining certain standards :lol:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, N15class said:

All very interesting Mikkel. People will start calling you Frank soon.

Frank N. Stein, the noted plastic (/whitemetal / pewter) surgeon?

The man's name was Victor but really this is all rather Igorish. "Lend me a hand?"

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all, I must admit I find all this surgery quite relaxing. Hopefully that doesn't sound too weird!  :crazy: :D

4 hours ago, Charlie586 said:

Does the other head work on the Stadden body or is this the first of many transplants? 

The original head has a flat cap which I'm thinking will look a bit odd on a posh uniformed body. The Model U heads are also smaller. But I do have one which might fit, will see how it works. It occurs to me that by changing heads or bodies you can model the same person at different stages of his life, career and girth! 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Charlie. I'm afraid I don't know the name or strength of the magnifying glass, it was a christmas present. It's very simple and quite cheap I think, but it works OK. I may get myself one of the more elaborate "lamp" types at some point.

IMG_20190311_111057851_HDR.jpg.bbf2139669ce98d1243c0b2a70b9cccd.jpg

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Been practising eyes. I can’t even get close to what the pros are doing, but I’m looking for a simple way to achieve a rough indication of eyes consistently and without spending ages every time.

First, two black stripes for that racoon look.

Racoon.jpg.fa33f662247722eec2b51eb4dd65e713.jpg

Alternatively and to save you work, you could just have all your passengers be racoons. Rule 1 can be bent to encompass that. Probably.

• Funny 6