Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

• RMweb Gold
On 11/06/2019 at 21:09, Mikkel said:

I have been monitoring a particular wagon for some years and will post a photo of the current condition when I'm back home.

Just to follow up on that:

I built a wagon in December 2014. For weight, I used Deluxe Models Liquid Gravity, and their Rocket Card glue for fixing it in place (as recommended by them).

In January 2017, we discussed whether the method could cause expansion over the longer term, or lead balls dropping off. So I took this photo:

image.png.baf8d4eed17744d66a8ed8ed1c5b7fbe.png

At the time I wrote:

"Some of the balls appear loose in the photo, but when poking at them with a scalpel they are firmly fixed.  It seems there is some cracking - which could be a little worrying for the longer term? - but so far everything seems to be stuck well in place."

Now, in June 2019 it looks like this:

IMG_20190617_161245778.jpg.1dfee47b45b87477870587e3cf3c8609.jpg

There is no change since the last photo that I can see. The wagon is now 4½ years old. Will continue to monitor it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Strong vote of confidence, then?

Enough to make me continue doing it on new builds. Not sure about enclosed spaces though, e.g. loco boilers - that's a different kettle I think (ha!).

But when can we ever be sure? Do glues ever "stabilise"?

Which leads to broader questions: How long do we expect a model to last? A lifetime? More? 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

I think this proves it's not lead..

Nice little experiment. And also, if taken out of context, a really weird image :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes please. Although I think a 7mm Dean Goods would be almost as long as my new layout :D

Happy Midsummer :)

004.jpg.cd691953fa64c8ef690ce78a52bf2ca5.jpg

DSC_2481.JPG.d349d36dae227ca5f254a61c3a9c1c45.JPG

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

The problems with lead arose from the PVA glue which is mildly acidic and so reacted with the lead. I never had any trouble with lead pieces araldited into wagons. Just a thought lead in a brass boiler would be subject to electrical corrosion if there is a suitable electrolyte in contact with them PVA could do the job.

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Devo63 said:

Only six more months to go for poor, shivering little me! :cry:

BTW the Dean is looking VERY good.

Dave R.

Thanks Dave,  I see you are in Adelaide and the forecast says 16 degrees tomorrow. You call that winter? :jester:

1 hour ago, Donw said:

The problems with lead arose from the PVA glue which is mildly acidic and so reacted with the lead. I never had any trouble with lead pieces araldited into wagons. Just a thought lead in a brass boiler would be subject to electrical corrosion if there is a suitable electrolyte in contact with them PVA could do the job.

Don

Thanks for that Don. There is a photo showing what can go wrong here: https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2737

• Like 1

Guest Jack Benson

Mikkel,

A few ago, I stopped using lead sheet and switched to self-adhesive plated Ferrous weights. They are not particulary suitable for odd spaces and are a swine to cut to shape, but they have not corroded or reacted with the model.  

cheers

Jack

Guest Jack Benson

Mikkel,

A few years ago, I stopped using lead sheet for aeromodelling and switched to self-adhesive plated Ferrous weights. They are not particulary suitable for odd spaces and are a swine to cut to shape, but they have not corroded or reacted with the model.  

cheers

Jack

Edited by Jack Benson
Missing word

• RMweb Gold

9 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

A few years ago, I stopped using lead sheet for aeromodelling and switched to self-adhesive plated Ferrous weights.

Jack, would they be something like these: https://www.woodvalleyworks.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=106

6 hours ago, MikeOxon said:

Anyone tried using tungsten powder, as sold for adjusting the weight of golf clubs? See, for example,

https://golfcomponentsdirect.com/product/dynacraft-golf-club-tungsten-powder-8-ounces/

Mike, it looks like someone tried it with success (gated article though): https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine/running-extra/2018-11/ah-hah-moment

And if golf isn't your thing, I see one poster on a US forum suggested moldable tungsten fishing weights. Maybe like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NEWSHOT-Tungsten-Fishing-Weights-Terminal/dp/B07F3RLPDV/ref=cts_sp_4_vtp

Edit: But beware: http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/264580.aspx

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1

Try lead shot in a sleeve made from finger bandage. 

Or mixed with plasticene

Or epoxy or fibreglass resin, or casting resin

Without PVA there is no issue with lead, and it's reasonably cheap & easily available

atb

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

17 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Thanks Dave,  I see you are in Adelaide and the forecast says 16 degrees tomorrow. You call that winter? :jester:

We've actually had the last couple of days of nice sunny weather and they are forecasting a maximum of around 20C later this week . My trouble is that I'm online (RMweb) during the early hours of the morning and live in the foothills of Adelaide where the temperature drops quite low, for us sun loving Aussies, during the night. My computer and railway room is at the bottom of the garden and not the best heated. The night before last the bird bowl just outside the door has frozen over and there was a good layer of frost over the back lawn. Nothing like the winters I remember from north Wales when I was younger but still cold enough for my old tired bones.

Dave R. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Devo63 said:

We've actually had the last couple of days of nice sunny weather and they are forecasting a maximum of around 20C later this week . My trouble is that I'm online (RMweb) during the early hours of the morning and live in the foothills of Adelaide where the temperature drops quite low, for us sun loving Aussies, during the night. My computer and railway room is at the bottom of the garden and not the best heated. The night before last the bird bowl just outside the door has frozen over and there was a good layer of frost over the back lawn. Nothing like the winters I remember from north Wales when I was younger but still cold enough for my old tired bones.

Dave R. 

You have obviously become a southern softie :jester:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Mikkel said:

And if golf isn't your thing, I see one poster on a US forum suggested moldable tungsten fishing weights. Maybe like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NEWSHOT-Tungsten-Fishing-Weights-Terminal/dp/B07F3RLPDV/ref=cts_sp_4_vtp

I try to get my waggons around the 25g per axle mark. So at £8.50 for 15g this could end up as the most expensive component!

13 hours ago, Mikkel said:

£0.50 for 60g... that sounds much more like my kind of price point. I really like the look of these and will give them a go. Thank you!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 2