Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

On 27/07/2019 at 17:51, RobjUK said:

I think the difference in shade between those is down to overall lighting / image brightness & all the greens are very close?

I wonder if someone actually copied that basic colour for railway use, it's been used in motor racing since the early 1900s...

They're not the same colour at all. BRG is a very loosely defined colour, essentially being “dark green” and applied to British racing cars. Jaguar alone has had something  around 5 different shades of racing green. Vintage Bentleys are often thought of as being a very dark Brunswick green, but one of the ale Mans cars, the 1927 winner, was a very bright green. Historic railway colours are definitely open to interpretation, but at least the railway picked something. With BRG every manufacturer/race team picked something and they’re all “correct”.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Er, I think I probably did.  I was not married at the time and when my wife saw it she has never let me forget it, and that was forty years ago.  (I still see nothing wrong with it.)

Phoenix do British Racing Green and the Cambrian Railways used it as the green on their buildings.  It is not a blueish green at all.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

HMRS quality has been getting poorer for quite a while. Have you contacted them ? I did and had a unpleasant unhelpful reply, a few years ago re the LNER Lining and their LNER Gold lettering which has misplaced  lines/line up of colours, and excess glue either side of the actual decals.

If people dont complain nothing will be ever done about the quality.

Nice Loco.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No, I haven't queried it yet with HMRS - only ordered the last one direct from them.  I think I will, I have used and benefitted from their transfers for many years, and find them more "flexible" to work with than Fox.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You could get away with slightly different colouring on each side if it wasn't for the boiler bands. It does show you need to have enough to hand all matching before starting. I will have to see how good their 7mm stuff is. 

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Limited modelling time recently, and most of it has been spent actually running trains.

But there has been some progress on the Dean Goods. Having survived the orange peel disaster, I proceeded to lining out, using HMRS Pressfix transfers.  The lining was pieced together bit by bit. The triple panels on the tender were tricky.

001b.jpg.15585f7a00b49b560712c64df853f4c8.jpg

One side of the loco has now been lined. It’s a bit garish, but I haven’t toned it down yet. 

large_001.jpg.5166f81c8521b5aeaa34be58c973eb65.jpg

The ”seam line” between body and boiler underside is more prominent on the other side:

large_002.jpg.1cc85d4d3dab6f5573fd2f3445e369c5.jpg

The lack of lining on one side is due to an unexpected problem. Having  used up a lining sheet, I got out a new one only to find that the lining on this sheet (top) was much more yellow than they used to be (bottom):

large_003.jpg.3ab6e237d365fac440e9df7de537c679.jpg

"A rogue batch" I thought, and so ordered another from a different trader. Same thing. Then checked the HMRS website, which shows the orange version – so eventually ordered directly from there. Same again. Here they are compared, also showing the Fox variant which I discovered in the the meantime.

large_004.jpg.8a556453c9744151ff9d3f585fb8142a.jpg

The Fox sheet is specifically for Dean locos. I like the look of it, maybe I'll use this in the future. But it doesn’t solve my current problem as I don’t want different shades of lining on the same loco. So I’ll have to cobble together the remaining lining on the Dean Goods from bits and pieces off the old HMRS sheets.

large_005.jpg.c9e6e9786b87c557ca7bc11423c9d9e5.jpg

To spur me on for the last stretch I took some test shots with the dome and saftety valve cover loosely fitted. Various brass details still missing and the body is not screwed to the chassis here, so it’s a bit tilted compared to the tender.

large_006.jpg.da8abc4effb575424f453d6c68ad7b26.jpg

large_007.jpg.1736ae3d38e14d8afae40ab599074882.jpg

large_008.jpg.65405173cabbe7300345ba13ab1ee6ec.jpg

Superb as always, Mikkel! But what a Royal PITA about the transfers :(

Keep up the excellent work!

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, micklner said:

HMRS quality has been getting poorer for quite a while. Have you contacted them ? I did and had a unpleasant unhelpful reply, a few years ago re the LNER Lining and their LNER Gold lettering which has misplaced  lines/line up of colours, and excess glue either side of the actual decals.

If people dont complain nothing will be ever done about the quality.

Nice Loco.

I had a slightly gruff reply to an email from the HMRS recently (on an unrelated matter), but it's easy to forget that it is a society run by volunteers entirely in their spare time, although I know that doesn't excuse deteriorating quality.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone for the kind words and buttons. Yes it's become a bit of a labour of love - and a testing ground for me to try out various techniques.  I have come to live with the compromises and don't notice them much. I tried lining the underside of the boiler in order to distract attention from the dividing line, but a quick test showed it had the opposite effect!

There is degree of logic to the madness. I bought the original Oxford Rail version with twin flywheels, which turned out to be a very good runner.  I have since bought another of these - nicely discounted when the newer version came out - which also runs very well, and can provide a spare chassis if needed. So the loco has a long future in my stables, I hope.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes Mikkel, it is beautiful.  I always want to say more than that and actually add something but I am not sure that I can.  I am getting nervous about doing minor operations to a SE&CR C class but what you have done is truly amazing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I had a slightly gruff reply to an email from the HMRS recently (on an unrelated matter), but it's easy to forget that it is a society run by volunteers entirely in their spare time, although I know that doesn't excuse deteriorating quality.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark,
Volunteers or not gruffness or rudeness is not excusable either.
At the end of the day they are charging a fee for a product!
If there is a quality issue, it is up to them to try to resolve and not alienate their customers.

Khris

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

That is truly a beautiful model.

I'm already looking forward to the story in which it will feature.......

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all for the latest comments, suggestions and button pushing, very much appreciated. And thanks for not becoming bored with this project - or at least not showing it! :)

There were a couple of questions:

15 hours ago, Edwardian said:

What safety valve bonnet, dome and chimney did you use?

The chimney is a shapeways brass print from Alan a.k.a. Quarryscapes. a.k.a. Coast Line Models. The boiler washout plugs are also from him, but it doesn't look as if he does them anymore.

chimney-and-boiler-washout-plugs_36240474215_o.jpg.76864ab484f5b31edbb48e237ca129f5.jpg

The dome and valve bonnet came from my spares box. I can't remember their origin I'm afraid. I snap up polished brass boiler fittings whenever I come across them, they are like truffles! The thread says I tried on a Finney 3232 dome at one point, but if I remember correctly we agreed that it was too small.

10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Does it have an identity yet?

Yes, it's 2487. The plates are in hand from Narrow Planet. In retrospect I would have liked to do an S2 version like you Stephen - it's a bit more unusual, and the chances that an RTR S2 version will appear are very slim! But at least my S4 version has the short smokebox, piano-lid cylinder cover and other details that I haven't seen on other models.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I've just been reading the page on 1900-1906 livery on gwr.org.uk and confess I'm fogged as to what the lining colour should be. For the Indian red areas, chrome orange is mentioned, but for the green, the colour isn't specified and the models used as illustrations show colours in the orange - red range. I appreciate that the perceived colour of the lining may depend on the adjacent body colour but ... ?

That page makes reference to pre-1900 livery as the standard from which early 20th-century livery was starting to deviate but unfortunately there's no preceeding page for livery in the 1890s!

Edited by Compound2632

30 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I've just been reading the page on 1900-1906 livery on gwr.org.uk and confess I'm fogged as to what the lining colour should be.

Chrome orange. The lining diagram is on the following page

Lining on the 1900-1906 page is on the to-do list.

(And I can't imagine ever doing an 1890s page, unless there are any volunteers of course!)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Then there's the question of how you want to replicate it in model form. In my view, orange lining can seem a bit too pronounced in model form, as evident on my Dean Goods.  That's one reason why I'm liking the look of the Fox GWR transfers, which seem a bit redder and more toned down than the (old) HMRS ones. @wenlock has used the Fox transfers on his superb 7mm Dean Goods.

Here's what Larry G. had to say about orange lining

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Then there's the question of how you want to replicate it in model form. 

Indeed. I have time to reflect on that as I'm still tinkering about with splashers. After a couple more rounds of rejects I think I'm getting close to a simple yet effective method...

• Like 3