Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

would you say that Atkins' Goods Cartage book is a valuable asset to your library?

I agree with others above that these are worth getting. The two volumes are not cheap though. Volume 1 is probably the most important one, especially for pre-grouping as vol 2 has a certain bias towards later years, especially in the selection of photos. But it depends on one's interests of course - and the publishers know their business and have made sure there are also interesting bits in vol 2, such as liveries (although that is not a very long section).  Here are the lists of contents for the two volumes:

IMG_20191123_070113893.jpg.3b8a36bf3cc8d75b2c3115e7f48acc03.jpg

IMG_20191123_070136030_HDR.jpg.fb4b6c4abd35f10c8a3f20011822e422.jpg

For some reason a number of sellers wrongly list these as "volume 4", not sure why. Maybe they are confused by the variety of books on GWR goods services that Tony Atkins did. He left behind a unique documentation opf GWR goods operations and we owe him a lot.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

For some reason a number of sellers wrongly list these as "volume 4", not sure why. Maybe they are confused by the variety of books on GWR goods services that Tony Atkins did. He left behind a unique documentation opf GWR goods operations and we owe him a lot.

I think they get to 4 by counting Docks and Marine as vol. 3.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes that could be, although I suppose Docks & Marine was more of a continuation of the "Goods Services" volumes. Perhaps they mean the Crecy ones, which also add up to four. Here's the list of Tony Atkins' work as I know it:

Tourret Publishing, later Oxford Publishing Co:

• GWR Goods Wagons (combined edition) by Atkins, Beard & Tourret

Wild Swan:

• GWR Goods Services 1: An Introduction
  • GWR Goods Services 2A: Goods Depots and Their Operation
  • GWR Goods Services 2B: Goods Depots and Their Operation

Noodle Books:

• Great Western Docks & Marine

Crecy:

• GWR Goods Train Working  Vol 1: From Development To Guard Duties
  • GWR Goods Train Working Vol 2: From Control Offices to Exceptional Loads 
  • GWR Goods Cartage Vol 1: From Horses and Carts to Tractors and Trailers
  • GWR Goods cartage Vol 2: Garages, Liveries, Cartage and Containers    

Edited by Mikkel
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Yes that could be, although I suppose Docks & Marine was more of a continuation of the "Goods Services" volumes. Perhaps they mean the Crecy ones, which also add up to four. Here's the list of Tony Atkins' work as I know it:

Tourret Publishing, later Oxford Publishing Co:

• GWR Goods Wagons (combined edition) by Atkins, Beard & Tourret

Wild Swan:

• GWR Goods Services 1: An Introduction
  • GWR Goods Services 2A: Goods Depots and Their Operation
  • GWR Goods Services 2B: Goods Depots and Their Operation

Noodle Books:

• Great Western Docks & Marine

Crecy:

• GWR Goods Train Working: From Development To Guard Duties
  • GWR Goods Train Working: From Control Offices to Exceptional Loads Volume 2
  • GWR Goods Cartage. Vol 1: From Horses and Carts to Tractors and Trailers
  • GWR Goods cartage Vol 2: Garages, Liveries, Cartage and Containers    

So much information.  The Cambrian is the opposite.  When the GWR asked if they could send a clerestory as a through coach and would it fit the loading gauge, the question was asked would it fit through a certain tunnel, the answer was, "We do not know."  The way they found out was to take the coach, very slowly, through the tunnel to see if it got stuck.  We are talking about the 1890s.

To be fair, there were lots of things they did know, but very little was written down., or perhaps has survived.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Yes, and sometimes words develop in very roundabout ways. On this page it says:

tilt (v.1)

Old English *tyltan "to be unsteady," from tealt "unsteady," from Proto-Germanic *taltaz (source also of Old Norse tyllast "to trip," Swedish tulta "to waddle," Norwegian tylta "to walk on tip-toe," Middle Dutch touteren "to swing"). Meaning "to cause to lean, tip, slope" (1590s) is from sense of "push or fall over." Intransitive sense "to lean, tip" first recorded 1620s. Related: Tilted; tilting.

tilt (n.1)

"a joust, a combat," 1510s, perhaps from tilt (v.1) on the notion of "to lean" into an attack, but the word originally seems to have been the name of the barrier which separated the combatants, which suggests connection with tilt in an earlier meaning "covering of coarse cloth, an awning" (mid-15c.). This is perhaps from tilt (v.1), or related to or influenced by tent. Watkins derives it from Old English teld "awning, tent," related to beteldan "to cover," from Proto-Germanic *teldam "thing spread out." Hence, also full tilt (c. 1600). Pinball machine sense is from 1934.

Anyway, glad to have found the meaning of the word, as I have been confused in the past when I encountered the term "Tilt wagon" in captions about GWR horse drawn wagons - thinking it  might be the same as  tip wagon! :)

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

My dad used to call the soft roofs that folded down on sports cars a "tilt". I suspect from the same source. Without even questioning it I always think of the canvas roofs of horse drawn wagons as tilts. He was a Yorkshireman so the Danish influence might be understandable.

It is also hardly surprising that the English language has so many words in common with NW Europe; since that's basically where a lot of us originally came from!

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

Definitely looking better than the original kit, and nice observation on the shafts.

Enjoying this build very much.

G

p.s. nicely manicured thumb nail ! :lol:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Grahame, the shafts should be more rounded but filing them proved risky as the wood is quite thin. I suppose I should have made them from styrene but I like the idea of using some parts from the original kit.

I hadn't thought about my thumbs being so prominent. Other people post pictures of food on social media, but this is worse I suppose :D

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

No one seems to have mentioned pasta and pizza, the mainstay of modern Danish cuisine :rolleyes:

The walnut video led me on a stroll into diorama modelling, and from there to the work of some extraordinary miniature artists, including Hank Cheng. This is his workbench. Or is it?

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 1