Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

On 11/10/2020 at 18:34, ianmaccormac said:

Just a point about Ferric Chloride disposal. If mixed with plaster of paris and let set, it can go in the normal bin. That was info from teaching in secondary schools but 20 years ago so may be things have changed?

Cheers Ian

Perhaps after first neutralising with Sodium Carbonate (washing soda)?  That's the chemical used to develop the photo resist film that I'm currently experimenting with.  Apparently it's the copper that is captured by the FC from the brass that's the nasty bit.  I have a nice friendly recycling centre not too far from here so I will check in with them first.  Entombed in plaster I imagine the copper would be relatively safe, but could still leach out if put into landfill.

First very crude attempts with photo resist film didn't come out too badly, using a repurposed UV nail varnish drier, but the timing was rather hit and miss - mostly miss.  The thinnest highlighted blue lines are 0.25mm so it shows promise.  Fortunately all the blue resist will wash off with some Acetone and the brass can be used again (and again) until the results are satisfactory.  Currently converting a picture scanner into a UV exposure bed controlled by an Arduino to get accurate time exposures and consistent exposure across the sheet. 

Inked20201007_213848_LI.jpg.1d5601518473fced5b38b085fe6b665c.jpg

• Like 5

On 13/10/2020 at 17:56, Mikkel said:

It's all Greek to me but I trust this means progress :) 

Of a sort, yes, but I appear to have fallen down an Arduino shaped rabbit hole at the moment as I try to build an accurate UV exposure unit.   “Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.” once said a Prince of Denmark, with a slightly West Riding  accent.  Window frames and wot-not are just the start, how else can I get a W3 cattle wagon with an 8'6" wheelbase or an open cab and bunker for the SE Finecast Class 517 kit?

Little W3 wagon - Sweeeeeet!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Collett said:

“Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.” once said a Prince of Denmark, with a slightly West Riding  accent.  Window frames and wot-not are just the start, how else can I get a W3 cattle wagon with an 8'6" wheelbase or an open cab and bunker for the SE Finecast Class 517 kit?

Little W3 wagon - Sweeeeeet!

There are things out there...

For the GWR W3 cattle wagon, there was the TMD/Perseverance etched brass kit.  Keep an eye on well known auction sites, as they come up from time to time.  https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/perseverance-gwr-mex-cattle-wagon-dia-479392025

If you're after an open cab and bunker for a 517, find someone who has built the later cab version of the M&L/Alan Gibson 517 kit and have kept the early ones as spares.  I'm afraid that I can't help on this, as I built my 517 as the early version, and have the later parts in my spares box.

Or just fire up that CAD for the hell of it ;-)

Cheers

Paul

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/09/2020 at 22:36, Simond said:

Tungsten?  I’d be surprised at £9 a kilo scrap price.  Mind you they’re charging £40 per kg for it, and i5 is very dense, so maybe.

I’ve just requested the MSDS out of curiosity.  Will report back in due course.

atb

Simon

I’m still waiting for the MSDS

it is a legal obligation to provide one for any “materials” that are offered for sale, so that anyone using said material can take appropriate safety precautions & wear the correct PPE.  

I can’t be bothered getting stroppy with the supplier.  You can draw your own conclusions.

atb

Simon

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

IMG_20201122_194801375.jpg.8d0dc48667630d09d12d9e3c9c537c58.jpg

I‘m using the Swindon drawing in Atkins et al for reference. I was tempted by @Compound2632's excellent drawing and a photo of a Saltney 2-planker in Tony wood's book, but couldn’t resist those lovely thick brakes in the slightly different Swindon drawing. I drew up the brakes, cut them on the Silhouette and laminated two layers for thickness.

I've realised that the push rods on my drawing are wrong - I'd copied over the push rods I'd drawn for a converted ex-BG 1-planker that I'm still struggling with. The 1 and 2-plank wagons of the 1871-1874 period have the usual push rods consisting of a pair of iron plates, so look like the ones you've made.

I've come to the conclusion that the two 1-plank and one 2-plank wagons illustrated in Atkins are unrepresentative examples.

I hope you are going to add the nuts on the end of the bolts securing the curb rail to the solebar, and the nuts on the ends of the transverse rods that run parallel to the middle bearers, using Archer resin transfers. I've suffered, so I don't see why you shouldn't too. It'll while away the dark November days.

Edited by Compound2632
Typo corrected
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Haha, yes don't worry Stephen, I will be getting out the Archer's transfer - also for the missing ones on the corner plates.

I've decided to do 19451 as illustrated in the Atkins book. Whatever its parentage, it's nice to have a photo to work from. So the repair to the solebar that you mentioned will also be there.

Now waiting for ribbed buffers. Also vaccine and a carbon sucker.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I was referring to the pattern of the axle guards in the photo of 19451 in Atkins - earlier you seemed to be considering that it could be a BG conversion.

Incidentally I need to file the bridle bars on mine, the etch is a bit wide. 

I wonder how we should interpret curved vs straight bridle bars on GWR wagons. I suppose the most obvious explanation is that the curved ones were earliest, yet in photos some BG wagons seem to have straight ones. And some "standard" gauge 2-plankers have curved, others straight ones. I don't suppose it could reflect the works where they were built (e.g. Saltney, Worcester, Swindon) ?

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Yes, I was referring to the pattern of the axle guards in the photo of 19451 in Atkins - earlier you seemed to be considering that it could be a BG conversion.

No, the BG conversion I have my eye on is the one on the left here. It's characteristic of these that the axleguards are on the outside of the solebars. See also Plates 22 and 31in the Saltney book. 

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

I wonder how we should interpret curved vs straight bridle bars on GWR wagons. I suppose the most obvious explanation is that the curved ones were earliest, yet in photos some BG wagons seem to have straight ones. And some "standard" gauge 2-plankers have curved, others straight ones. I don't suppose it could reflect the works where they were built (e.g. Saltney, Worcester, Swindon) ?

I've made my four with joggled bridles or keeper plates though I suspect that after thirty years in service the ones with which the wagon was built would have been swapped around a bit. Sometimes the originals would have been re-used, sometimes ones of a more recent pattern fitted.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Meanwhile, the grey Danish November just drags on endlessly. Thank God for the hobby. I have taken a liking to this photo, as an illustration of the nice warm bubble that a model railway can be :)

large.DSCN9729.jpg.6184dd9304ef24f0b126586a534a3432.jpg.af75195b3de89b3226e1b188b02ef571.jpg

I really like this photo as well, it is certainly full of atmosphere.

Tony 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Incidentally I need to file the bridle bars on mine, the etch is a bit wide. 

There's no reason to hassle the smiths by specifying a curved bridle unless it's needed to clear the bottom of the axlebox. Therefore, one might look at trends in the shapes of axleboxes,  or, just possibly, variations in the lengths of the axleguard legs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Guy Rixon said:

There's no reason to hassle the smiths by specifying a curved bridle unless it's needed to clear the bottom of the axlebox. Therefore, one might look at trends in the shapes of axleboxes,  or, just possibly, variations in the lengths of the axleguard legs.

Thanks Guy, that sounds like a good excuse to have a look through the books.

6 hours ago, Donw said:

If the springs look somewhat compressed put a heavy looking load in the wagon rather than having it empty.

Don

Good idea, thanks Don. The photo I am using shows a load of pit props, but that doesn't seem so suitable for Wiltshire. I was aiming for a load of full beer barrels. Let's say it's stout, that'll be heavy :D

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

A GNR wagon wouldn’t be very likely at Farthing prior to pooling, 

Farthing has a gas works, I presume. Gas coal came principally from the South Yorkshire / North Derbyshire / Nottinghamshire coalfield - prime Great Northern territory. This wagon has come via the GN & LNW Joint Line, Rugby, Willesden, Acton Wells, and the Great Western main line. It can be seen returning home empty here at 38 s.

Perhaps pair it with a suitable PO wagon - though be careful, several of the best known South Yorkshire collieries were only just being sunk around 1905.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Stephen, that's very useful information. I will probably try to go for a 1900s version after all then.

Here it is in the Irish Mail video. It must be newly painted, since if I understand correctly, the large lettering was introduced in the year the film was recorded, 1898.

95479421_GNwagonIrishmail.jpg.4b61c9593b338d9013099ef735e6d414.jpg

And seemingly also in 1898, the earlier livery on GNR 4-plankers at Poplar Dock, carrying hay bales.

gettyimages-90774064-2048x2048.jpg.040c59f3f2f2ae628b5cc75e56bfa66a.jpg

Source: Getty images, Embedding permited.

More here.  The caption reads: "Coal wagons in the Great Northern Railway's (GNR) New England marshalling yard at Peterborough, 11 May 1908".

585225342_Peterborough11May1908.jpg.f9a7dd7206135eed610c4dfc027c83d0.jpg

Source: Getty Images, embedding permitted. 

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Yes there's a number from Poplar Dock. I had seen some of them, but Schooner's recent post led me to some more of them. I note that the captions say "c. 1898", so perhaps the year should not be taken too literally. What seems to be dates in the captions does not always match the rest of the text.

Edited by Mikkel
To clarify
  • Like 6