Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

• RMweb Gold

I don't know much about the BG era, but for Edwardian layouts a little planning can help avoid or soften the wasteland look.

Firstly, even on newly opened lines there may still be trees outside the railway's boundaries, see e.g. photos from the early years at Lambourn (although that was of course a small concern).

Secondly, some of the popular trees in Victorian times grew quite fast, and would in Edwardian times have reached a certain height.

For example, in 1880 the town planners of Farthing modernized the area's streets, sewers and lighting in response to the 1875 Public Health Act (thanks to flyingbadger for the info). In so doing they planted London plane, which have a quoted growth rate of 50-100 centimeters a year and a normal full grown height of 20-30 meters. Using the lower growth rate, the trees would have reached 10 meters in 1900, equivalent to 13 cms in 4mm scale, which is the height of the trees I'm currently building. Their crown is rather well developed for a 10 meter Plane tree though, so perhaps they have grown faster, but with modeller's compression :).

Speaking of compression....

image.png.79a18bf494ba6a227ec2b2b48d033b47.png

Edited by Mikkel
Crown not canopy
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

I don't know much about the BG era, but for Edwardian layouts a little planning can help avoid or soften the wasteland look.

Firstly, even on newly opened lines there may still be trees outside the railway's boundaries, see e.g. photos from the early years at Lambourn (although that was of course a small concern).

Secondly, some of the popular trees in Victorian times grew quite fast, and would in Edwardian times have reached a certain height.

For example, in 1880 the town planners of Farthing modernized the area's streets, sewers and lighting in response to the 1875 Public Health Act (thanks to flyingbadger for the info). In so doing they planted London plane, which have a quoted growth rate of 50-100 centimeters a year and a normal full grown height of 20-30 meters. Using the lower growth rate, the trees would have reached 10 meters in 1900, equivalent to 13 cms in 4mm scale, which is the height of the trees I'm currently building. Their canopy is rather well developed for a 10 meter tree though, so perhaps they have grown faster, but with scale compression :).

The tallest tree in England is quite near us and you can walk by it as we have done several times at about 62m it is big.  There is a London Plane about 50m at a School in Blandforn Forum.

Don

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

For example, in 1880 the town planners of Farthing modernized the area's streets, sewers and lighting in response to the 1875 Public Health Act (thanks to flyingbadger for the info). In so doing they planted London plane, which have a quoted growth rate of 50-100 centimeters a year and a normal full grown height of 20-30 meters. Using the lower growth rate, the trees would have reached 10 meters in 1900, equivalent to 13 cms in 4mm scale, which is the height of the trees I'm currently building. Their canopy is rather well developed for a 10 meter Plane tree though, so perhaps they have grown faster, but with modeller's compression :).

they may or may not be good on the measurements, but Big Ben is not a massive clock in any language, it’s the bell within the clock, you know, when the news starts, the “donggggg”. That one.  

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Donw said:

The tallest tree in England is quite near us and you can walk by it as we have done several times at about 62m it is big.  There is a London Plane about 50m at a School in Blandforn Forum.

Don

I once had an ash tree in my garden that was about 25 metres high. It had been there about fifty years but it had to go as the roots were affecting nearby buildings.

55 minutes ago, Simond said:

they may or may not be good on the measurements, but Big Ben is not a massive clock in any language, it’s the bell within the clock, you know, when the news starts, the “donggggg”. That one.  

Quite correct, the tower is now known as the Elizabeth Tower, before it was renamed it was simply the clock tower.

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Quite correct, the tower is now known as the Elizabeth Tower, before it was renamed it was simply the clock tower.

Which begs the question "what's the name of the clock?"

It seems that Governments are quite incapable of dealing with inconvenient truths...

"Big Ben is probably the world's most famous clock."

https://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/building/palace/big-ben/

Wikipedia is more helpful  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ben

Perhaps the "Dent Clock" would be a fitting moniker.

"Construction was entrusted to clockmaker Edward John Dent; after his death in 1853 his stepson Frederick Dent completed the work, in 1854"

Edited by Simond
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

20 minutes ago, Simond said:

"Construction was entrusted to clockmaker Edward John Dent; after his death in 1853 his stepson Frederick Dent completed the work, in 1854"

Sounds a bit dented to me! :jester:

Khris

• Funny 1

11 hours ago, Simond said:

It seems that Governments are quite incapable of dealing with inconvenient truths...

Yes, but you're not allowed to point it out, because you get beaten with an appropriate silencing stick. ;)

• Like 2

whilst it is entirely trivial, it is yet another case of stating something that simply isn't true. 

And somebody will come along and be absolutely sure they are right because they read it on an official website.

Like they say, it ain' what you don't know that kills you, it's what you know for sure that simply ain't true...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Do you think we could manage without some form of government? I sincereley doubt it. 

Do I wish they were more competent? Yes but I recognise it is our fault because those of us who know we could do better should form a party and get elected. The electorate could not fail to see we would be the best choice.

Um did I just write that? I do feel that any one who wants to be in government needs to be treated with great suspicion no matter what your choice of party.

I think we should form the Ostrich Party based on the principle if you cannot see the problem you do not have to deal with it. Anyone interested?

Don

PS who is most incompetent the government or us for electing them?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

I agree with you entirely @Donw

But how long do you think your new party would last before the establishment spent millions on a smear campaign to have you dismissed as extremists, nutters, hypocrites, xenophobes, Marxists, fascists, etc etc etc.

I risk getting into trouble just for saying that. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

But how long do you think your new party would last before the establishment spent millions on a smear campaign to have you dismissed as extremists, nutters, hypocrites, xenophobes, Marxists, fascists, etc etc etc.

... or model railway enthusiasts.

I'm still wanting to know what a skogscast is.

• Funny 3

Moving swiftly back to trees. Local authorities / developers tend to plant trees which are 2-2.4 metres tall, being established enough to replant.

If you establish when your model trees were planted (where I live, one lot were planted c1895, the next major planting was c1934.)

Then find the growth rate for the species that you are modelling. Add to that the period you are modelling and that could result in:

Planted: 1890

Height: 2.5m

Growth rate: 0.5m/per annum

Year of model: 1920

Tree height approx: 17.5m

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

You'll give Sheepbloke heart palpitations suggesting that !

Where do you think he gets them from?

You don't seriously believe that he's daft enough to buy them? 

That's money which is better spent on small scruffy tank engines and the materials to make them look like big scruffy tank engines...

• Funny 2

On 05/04/2021 at 11:27, Simond said:

Which begs the question "what's the name of the clock?"

"Big Ben is probably the world's most famous clock."

https://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/building/palace/big-ben/

Wikipedia is more helpful  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ben

I'm sure I've seen the Dent name on some station clocks. I think the family firm got quite large in later generations. There are a couple of long-case Dent clocks where I work, adjusted to sideral rate.

• Like 3