Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

• RMweb Gold

PS: Found a couple of useful photos. Crops here:

Abingdon stable block:

post-738-0-20921300-1508996382.jpg

Little Somerford stable block:

post-738-0-96529600-1508996304.jpg

Both are BR era photos though, and I think the Little Somerford cupolas have had work done to them since GWR days, as they do not have slated roofs.

If I follow the Abingdon example, there isn't really much visible flashing to speak of - if any at all.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 5

Mikkel,

The above cupola roofs may well have been finished in either lead sheeting or copper. I would suspect the former being used due to the cost implications. Just a thought.

Grahame

• Like 1

Mikkel looking at your photos the rooves are in thin sheet the central join is indicative of this I would also go for zinc, I do not think the colour looks light enough for Verdigris. The bottom of the two pictures the flashing also looks as if it could be zinc sheet too.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks gents, I went for slates for the cupola roofs because of these photos of the stable blocks at Abingdon and Witney:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/a/abingdon/index26.shtml

http://www.fairfordbranch.co.uk/Witney_Goods.htm

It looks like slates to me, but I'm not certain. The zinc could be a later addition/change.

It's frustrating that there is so little photo evidence of stable blocks around 1900. It was all about those bl**dy locos :-)

• RMweb Gold

Drawing of "GWR New Stable at Hayle", no date, carries this note next to the cupola: "No. 15 Y.M. Zinc Covering on 1" boarding".

So zinc definitely used at some point and in some cases in GWR days. 

• Like 2

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/a/abingdon/index26.shtml

http://www.fairfordbranch.co.uk/Witney_Goods.htm

It looks like slates to me, but I'm not certain. The zinc could be a later addition/change.

It's frustrating that there is so little photo evidence of stable blocks around 1900. It was all about those bl**dy locos :-)

That's all fine and dandy but Mikkel .....

post-20303-0-14142700-1509042650.jpeg

I expect this may be subjected to further questioning but in my opinion I still feel that the cupola would have been constructed using sheet lead.

It is very difficult to determine from the photographs, which when blown up, still show very little detail.

I cannot see any staining / patination specific to the use of zinc to be totally definate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I expect this may be subjected to further questioning but in my opinion I still feel that the cupola would have been constructed using sheet lead.

It is very difficult to determine from the photographs, which when blown up, still show very little detail.

I cannot see any staining / patination specific to the use of zinc to be totally definate.

I largely agree Grahame. No doubt the safe bet for anyone building a GWR stable block would be to do the cupola with a metal sheeting of sorts rather than slates, since the photos and my drawing reference above show that this was used in some (most?) cases. Whether slates were then also used in some other cases (or at some point in time) is much less certain.

I have found some more photos of GWR stableblocks on the Britian From Above site and in Google Maps, and in some cases the texture and colour of the cupola roof looks exactly like that of the main slate roof - but as we know from livery discussions, photos can so easily deceive! Below is a close-up from Google Maps of the GWR stable block at Basingstoke, which I found after a tip by Western Star (thanks!).

post-738-0-59295600-1509087644_thumb.jpg

Anyway, I will leave my cupolas as they are for now and move on. I can see a "GWR Stable Block tour" coming up next time I come to the UK!

Edited to add better photo.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

[hushed David Attenborough voice]

...and here, amongst the natural foliage, three cupolas lie in wait to trap the unwary modeller. Their colours change with the light and season, who can tell what they really look like...

[/hushed voice]

• Like 1

...and here, amongst the natural foliage, three cupolas lie in wait to trap the unwary modeller. Their colours change with the light and season, who can tell what they really look like...

[/hushed voice]

Ah Ha!

I detect clues to Stu next layout from this involving working horses no doubt!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Ah Ha!

I detect clues to Stu next layout from this involving working horses no doubt!

'Fraid not.

With 4 cameo layouts planned, 5 cakebox entries ( sorry that should say 2, what am I like?), not to mention the bigger project in the loft, I've no time for working horse layouts.

Edit to change 4 to 5, and it's only October...

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3

... a close-up from Google Maps of the GWR stable block at Basingstoke, which I found after a tip by Western Star (thanks!).

How about I go and look at those stables to see what has been used for the cupola roof?  Could get the car washed at the same time!

regards, Graham

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

[/hushed voice]

Google Streetview can be fun, but nothing beats Britain From Above. I can't praise it enough, although you have to sign in to zoom and really enjoy it. I'm working my way through the GWR network. Here is Chippenham in 1934:

post-738-0-12067500-1509132624.jpg

Source: Britain From Above, as permitted: https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW045774

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

How about I go and look at those stables to see what has been used for the cupola roof?  Could get the car washed at the same time!

regards, Graham

That would be a big help Graham, very much appreciated. I bet they'll be wondering what you're staring at  :)

• Like 1

Google Streetview can be fun, but nothing beats Britain From Above. I can't praise it enough, although you have to sign in to zoom and really enjoy it. I'm working my way through the GWR network. Here is Chippenham in 1934:

attachicon.gifEPW045774.jpg

Source: Britain From Above, as permitted: https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW045774

there seems to be quite a few white, or light coloured, wagon roofs - more than commonly accepted wisdom would predict I think!

Martin

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Meanwhile, in a staggering new development, I've started yet another Iron Mink. But at least this one has a couple of twists. I’m modelling no. 11258 as depicted in Atkins et al (1998 edition) page 369. This had the deeper ventilator bonnets and a hybrid livery combining the cast iron plates and large "GW" as dicussed here

Oh ho! In parallel with this, you'll be adding a small diorama of a cat amongst some pigeons...

Lastly, work is slowly progressing on the latest Farthing layout. Here, the usual red wagons and a couple of interlopers from the Midland contingent are testing out the slightly wonky track. 

Good to see a wagon free from ambiguity and uncertainty!

• Like 5