Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

• RMweb Premium

Looking at RCTS part 7, it states for the first Duke, 3252, built in 1895, “feed arrangements were most elaborate. A feed pump was driven from the right crosshead, and a combined feed and vacuum pump from the left, whilst non lifting injectors were placed below the footplate, live steam on the right and exhaust steam on the left. It is not certain whether the exhaust steam injectors were originally fitted but they were in general use by 1897.”

I can’t find a further mention of when the feed pumps went, maybe it tied in with the introduction of the exhaust steam injectors?

• RMweb Gold

Part 1 currently on ebay uk  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264131223967 ( buy now £8.00)

Part 1 seems rarer than Part 2 of which several listed at Bookfinder.com

Thanks Don, I found both volumes even cheaper at a secondhand bookshop earlier today, and have put in an order. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Ray. Somehow I find the idea of a mini-me disturbing, so I won't personally go down that route.

Your hats sound interesting though. Are they from any particular company?

• Like 2

Thanks Mikkel, the hats  turned up in my Aunt's house (along with a police truncheon which I don't suppose she should have had).  There is circumstancial evidence that the hats belonged to another relative who was a station master in Lancashire, probably in the 1920s.

Ray

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Have you seen this NRM page on station masters. Worth the read I think: https://blog.railwaymuseum.org.uk/100-years-of-station-master-memories/

I was interested to see that some had "sidelines". E.g.:

In those days many station masters had side lines such as coal sales, newspaper sales and so on. In fact, the first station I was at, Hedon on the Withernsea line, even had a lorry to deliver the coal, it was such a large operation.

• Informative/Useful 4

7 hours ago, Mikkel said:

So personally I think there’s a place for both the 3D printed and sculpted styles. The question is whether they mix well on a layout. I’m still undecided about that. From left to right here it’s Andrew Stadden, ModelU, Dart Castings. 

PS: If you're wondering what this trio is chatting about, the full story is in the blog.

I would question relative scale of the figures in this last picture. The ModelU figure looks significantly smaller. Assuming ModelU has used the correct scaling ratio, the other figures would appear to be 1/72 or even 1/64 scale. Either that or the ModelU appears to be printed in HO scale. I understand that people vary in body size, height and shape considerably but there seems to be significant overall proportion variance here. 

33 minutes ago, autocoach said:

I would question relative scale of the figures in this last picture. The ModelU figure looks significantly smaller. Assuming ModelU has used the correct scaling ratio, the other figures would appear to be 1/72 or even 1/64 scale. Either that or the ModelU appears to be printed in HO scale. I understand that people vary in body size, height and shape considerably but there seems to be significant overall proportion variance here. 

Ken, which of these 3 is 1:64 scale?

20120226-083302.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Mikkel,

Your painting again looks superb.  Personally, I think the Modellu Edwardian figures appear fine for the workers but the station staff look scruffy and do not seem to look right.  There is a new ‘Edwardian’ woman who looks like someone dressed up and has not done it very well either.  His WW1 models are better particularly the sappers.

I thought I was getting notified when you posted on your blog but apparently not.  Off to read that now.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lightengine said:

Ken, which of these 3 is 1:64 scale?

20120226-083302.jpg

But notice their heads in the picture are roughly the same size. Not knowing how tall the person who posed for the ModelU scan was the ModelU figure could be within the range of heights for Edwardian people.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, autocoach said:

But notice their heads in the picture are roughly the same size. Not knowing how tall the person who posed for the ModelU scan was the ModelU figure could be within the range of heights for Edwardian people.

Hello,

Two of them can look down on another but only one has to look up to both.

It was and still is a great skit about class.

trustytrev.:)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone for the comments and likes.

I agree that the ModelU figure looks (and is) smaller in the platform photo above. However on reflection  it's a little unfair as that particular Andrew Stadden figure is bulkier than most of his range. In fact, one of the best things about the Stadden range is that his Edwardian figures are thin and not very tall, as suitable for the period. The line up  in the photos further up the post illustrate this, I think.

The Dart figures however are generally fairly tall and bulky, but then they are supposed to represent later periods (1930s onwards in general). My Station Master is backdated. 

Edited by Mikkel
To clarify
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mikkel

Superb painting.......how do you do the eyes?

I agreed with your thoughtful and balanced comparison of the different types of figures. I think the Modelu figures are, not unreasonably, the most lifelike but I find them more difficult to paint than Monty’ s models.....probably the unrealistic crispness of engraved clothing

The other downside of some of the Modelu figures is that the build of some of the real life models in 2019 does not reflect how working men, particularly firemen, would have looked in say 1947.

Nevertheless they are now my first choice of figures for Granby (usual disclaimer)

Best wishes

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John. Interesting point about the crisp clothes, I hadn't thought about that.

The eyes are always the hardest aren't they. I don't know how the pro painters manage it. I've tried many ways and still haven't found a method that works consistently for me. What I normally do is just shade them in very lightly. With the fireman seen above I was able to get the eyes a bit darker, as I have a new magnifying glass. 

War Gamers seem to go for the method described by Meg Maples here, she is apparently one of the gurus in that hobby:  http://www.arcanepaintworks.com/blog-1/2016/6/9/6-step-eyes

Note the comment about not using a very small brush, something I have also found myself. Even so, the problem of course is that 4mm figures tend to be smaller than warhammer figures, and don't have the eyes sculpted as clearly. 

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve enjoyed modifying Andrew Stadden’s pewter figures, so I thought I’d see if the same could be done with ModelU figures. This fireman didn’t fit in the cab of my Dean Goods. He was too tall, and his legs, feet and right arm needed adjustment in order to clear the reversing lever and grab the cab side.

46558787704_55dcbb85c9_o.jpg

Unlike the pewter and some whitemetal figures, you can’t tweak and bend the joints of these figures. They will break off. So proper cuts must be made in every case. The red lines show further cuts I did later.

46558787654_4fe876c4d0_o.jpg

Superglue and filler worked reasonably well, which was a pleasant surprise. Wet and dry also seems to work – unlike e.g. Airfix figures, which tend to become a mess when sanded.

47229845412_4306e16268_o.jpg

Here he is again and now fits in the cab. Painting next.

46558787844_538987e132_o.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Good to see that these prints can be glued and sanded much like plastic.    I've always thought the material to be a little overly pliable for positive work like that.    A 3D-printed wargaming mini I picked up a couple of years ago resisted everything short of a sharp X-Acto blade.

• Informative/Useful 2