London Calling.. WR Mainline - Acton Green

SparxD428

Ok thank you - what sort of gap do you get between the coach and the platform?

Hi Sub,

There is a bit of a gap but nothing that i can't live with. its probably too tight a curve if you were building an exhibition layout to high standards but i guess your viewing point could render that redundant if your coaches conceal the platform from the viewers side. I am happy enough in the space i have anyway. When the platforms are completed i will put up some pics with stock in the station so you can get a good all round view, though that may be a fair few weeks away yet.

Cheers,

Stu.

More work on the layout this weekend. Rail painting has inched towards the half way mark. Point motors on the scenic section are now up to 11 out of 16 wired and tested. Storage loops up to 7 out of 10, and 3 of the main lines are now complete powered circuits and run pretty well.

I decided to bring out my old scratchbuilt semaphores from Westquay, JUST as positional references for the colour light signals i intend to install (5 in total), as well as the old Hornby signal box by the bridge, to see whether aesthetically a scratchbuilt disused signal box would sit right in that location.

Also put a bit of platform furniture out to get a feel of how it is developing.

And to finish off, 50004 has developed the worst squeal ever. I lubricated the No.1 end wheel bearings to no avail. I have a feeling its going to be the fan drive that is the problem.

Cheers,

Stu.

Looking down the line, semaphores and signal box represent locations for light signals and possibly a scratchbuilt disused signal box I am considering.

post-5142-0-52831400-1447059857_thumb.jpg

50011 in the bay.

post-5142-0-79300800-1447059865_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Stu,

The layout is looking good mate, must admit I quite like the Semaphores.

I had a squeal in my Hornby class 31, I ended up taking off the clip at the top of the gear tower and lifting out the worm drive so I could get grease in the bearings.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Stu,

The layout is looking good mate, must admit I quite like the Semaphores.

I had a squeal in my Hornby class 31, I ended up taking off the clip at the top of the gear tower and lifting out the worm drive so I could get grease in the bearings.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Pete, I will look into the worm drive as the possible cause when I get number 4 up on the jacks next. Out of interest what type of grease do you use for the worm drive, is it a silicon / Molycot type grease?

Cheers,

Stu.

More steady progress this weekend although not much to look at. It has been several shades of grey (refuse to do the pun..) in trying to get the areas of baseboard that may end up between ballast as exposed ground concrete and also platforms to the correct shade. I have painted the wooden platforms (What will be the rarely used Down Main platform) as well as the brickwork that supports them to another shade of brown. I am trying to get that WR weathered 80s look and so far i am happy with the results. Will try and make the card platforms and brickwork to a very similar shade to keep the station reasonably, though not perfectly uniform.

Decided to let some of the DC loco's stretch their legs whilst they still can. Without tempting fate 47402 is running superbly for a Lima machine after i serviced it last year, and once i get DCC savvy and a few of the new style loco's up and running this is the first candidate to try and convert.

Hopefully I will be able to purchase a controller in the next month or two and i am going to do this, convert at least one loco to DCC/sound and fully test all of the track and wiring when its finished, before I even contemplate ballasting !

Took a couple more pics tonight showing some progress.

Cheers,

Stu.

47402 waits in the down main platform - now painted though i need to tidy the edge white line and add a yellow one for standing behind when trains pass.

post-5142-0-85261700-1447614227_thumb.jpg

Viewed from the other angle. platform brick brown has been toned down to something more suitable.

post-5142-0-49962900-1447614235_thumb.jpg

Rail side painting has reached the overbridge on the relief and yard lines, as well as the concrete shading being subtly lighter on the baseboards.

post-5142-0-41684400-1447614243_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Thanks Pete, I will look into the worm drive as the possible cause when I get number 4 up on the jacks next. Out of interest what type of grease do you use for the worm drive, is it a silicon / Molycot type grease?

Cheers,

Stu.

Hi Stu,

I have some Labelle 106 grease. seems to work quite well.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Stu,

I have some Labelle 106 grease. seems to work quite well.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, I think I am going to be in need of this as I removed number 20 from the box last night and she has also developed a squeal though of significantly less annoyance as well as a ticking fan. Maybe I need to make a plank model of 2 roads of Doncaster Works or Laira to start housing the wounded Vacs !

More and more grey and brown painting and weathering. Have spent all day working on platforms and finally getting there. 2 of the 3 platform bases now complete, just waiting to be glued down although i will wait a while for this as I have a dilemma on future Mk3 stock which I would plan to run only on the fast lines which are the inners and so of the tightest radius. The old style Hornby Mk3 and also all new Mk1 & 2 stock pass without problem but have feeling full size Mk3 may not - however I may be wrong.

So some tweaking is still possible but so far reasonably happy with the platforms, After all real ones look quite weathered and beaten don't they.

Just a couple more pics of grey and brown...

Cheers,

Stu.

Platform colours taking shape at western end.

post-5142-0-01856400-1448141784_thumb.jpg

Overall view of the long (12ft) scenic side from behind the layout taking shape slowly.

post-5142-0-47716600-1448141791_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Very busy day on the layout yesterday. Chaos ensued as Paddington was shut meaning all WR trains terminating at "the station with undecided name".

In fact it was because I had to shift a lot of the stock out of the storage roads so I could complete the last main line and storage loops as well as wiring it all up and logging on my bus diagram.

At just after midnight the station was cleared and the first train to run round the Up Relief was hauled by Hood. The lifting hatch is just about working OK considering the angles of the track I have had to lay on it. 

So now I could say the wiring of the bus is complete for rail power anyway. Just 5 point motors to still do on the scenice area. The storage roads have all had the holes drilled for point motors but I won't be contemplating them for a long while just yet.

Also made further headway with retaining wall in the station area earlier in the week and hope to complete that part later today.

I did take a few pics of a very full layout as well as overview of the storage roads.

Cheers,

Stu.

Non English Electric Power is quickly despatched back west

post-5142-0-70657100-1448790052_thumb.jpg

post-5142-0-18105000-1448790068_thumb.jpg

English Electric Power is held in the shed & yard for aesthetic purposes !

post-5142-0-81489000-1448790059_thumb.jpg

The reason for the chaos. Now finished 10 road (4 through, 6 storage) fiddle yard.

post-5142-0-86454300-1448790076_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Updated the DCC Bus diagrams since the last time I posted them mid way through.

Layout trackplan now complete.

Finished trackplan with dropper/bus connections annotated

post-5142-0-95264500-1448796244_thumb.jpg

Bus Radial Map Start to Finish

post-5142-0-10199400-1448796257_thumb.jpg

Hope they're legible.

Cheers,

Stu.

• Like 2

The last few days I have started constructing the first of the footbridge steps down to the platform.

The prototype might actually make the cut. I think I am going to need to make 3 different shaped sets for the 3 platform bases. I have been using different thicknesses of card, Wills flexi-brick sheet, cotton bud stalks for the handrails and tons of glue.

I have cut many pieces and individual steps and whilst they do not look uniform I quite like the mad effect, it may give me an excuse to print a caution uneven steps sign. The first set are based loosely on Paddington but those down to the Underground platform Hammersmith & City lines, to give them a "London feel".

After cutting out many individual sized steps from card and meticulously sticking them together one by one I have begun to wonder at which point in life I started going completely crazy...

Will try and post a pic or two at the weekend when they are further along.

Cheers,

Stu.

• Like 1

Main body of the first set of footbridge steps has now been completed.

The door side is platform side of the Up Relief (Platform 4).

A half side of platform canopy will also be mounted on this side to finish the effect when in place. Just got to paint it now and finish some minor detailing.

As for canopies for the steps, I am not going to attempt those now. Maybe in future I will build a replacement set with cover in GWR style but for now these will have to do.

Lighting a bit funny on the first pic but they should do.

Cheers,

Stu.

Full steps set

post-5142-0-47934900-1449332186_thumb.jpg

Close up lower half

post-5142-0-84514500-1449332192_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Detailing on Platform 4 is coming along now. Have nearly finished the footbridge steps, just a couple of girder supports drying at the moment which will prop up the back. I have cut down 1/2 canopy and it seems to look pretty good mounted next to the steps, as well as positioning 2 more canopies on the curve.

I will kit bash some edges to make these less block and more of a transitional curve.

Satisfied with the days work so far.

Of course couldn't resist a pic or two, nor to see how the future might look with an Oxford-Padd passing through.

Cheers,

Stu.

View from under the road bridge scenic break

post-5142-0-50801700-1449405758_thumb.jpg

Views from platform level

post-5142-0-98273500-1449405776_thumb.jpg

post-5142-0-76835000-1449405785_thumb.jpg

And of course what an Oxford-Padd may look like here

post-5142-0-95694500-1449405767_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Steady progress on the next set of footbridge steps this week.

Also printed an additional backscene for the scenic break overbridge to try and make it look a bit more London at that end.

Using the old Hornby buildings at the moment turned the other way round and it doesn't look too bad.

Cheers,

Stu.

post-5142-0-88260600-1449699023_thumb.jpg

post-5142-0-38047400-1449699032_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Stu,

You've been busy, layouts coming on really well. It's certainly captured  that feel of the outskirts of the capital.. 

I hope your bacon sarnies are as good as Ian's...  I'm sure it wont be long before we all tip up for a play!

Hi Scott,

Thanks mate. I am hoping that by January after Santa has dropped by I will have a DCC controller and have installed a couple of chips into the 50's that the layout will be in a proper ready to run state, so everyone is most welcome to drop by one weekend for an inaugural test running session. You might have to bring a loco or two to stop it being too boring watching the same Vacs go by. As for the bacon sarnies, well I haven't killed anyone..yet. Sure they'll be of acceptable quality.

Cheers,

Stu.

Hi Stu

I've 8 others packed and ready when you are. ;)

Excellent sir. In regards to DCC chips I seem to remember you saying you use Bachmann chips in your 50s. Which part code/rating? I am going to order a few soon with my controller and I know all yours run pretty well so was going to start down the same chip route. Can you let me know bud? Just the DCC chips, I am not contemplating fitting any sound in the first round of DCC conversions !

Cheers,

Stu.

I have decided finally now on the name for the layout. Acton Green. Apparently there are only 7 British Rail / London Underground stations with Acton in the name so I thought the world was crying out for an eighth in a fictional sense. Also it turns out the Piccadilly Line couldn't stay above ground when it came to this part of town so they dug it a nice tunnel like the ones further east (or at least they will in a few years time when phase 2 of the layout is contemplated !)

In terms of where the layout is actually situated in real terms I would have to imagine that the stretch from Ealing Broadway to Acton Main Line is a little bit longer and that Acton Green sits here. Purely so in the future I can run freight trains Eastbound to locations via Acton Wells Junction / North London Line.

More scenics tonight by the way but nothing worth photographing yet.

Cheers,

Stu.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Which part code/rating?

Hi Stu

At the time I bought them the code was 36-553, standard 8 pin 4 function chip, but I think the code has changed since. I use these in all my non sound locos and have had no problems with any of them.

Meant to add, we're off to Salisbury tomorrow evening if you fancy it?

Edited by Temeraire

Hi Stu

At the time I bought them the code was 36-553, standard 8 pin 4 function chip, but I think the code has changed since. I use these in all my non sound locos and have had no problems with any of them.

Meant to add, we're off to Salisbury tomorrow evening if you fancy it?

Thanks Ian. Today I have been spending the Christmas money in Alton in advance. One Gaugemaster DCC02 Prodigy Advance purchased, along with 2 x 36-555 Bachmann chips which I presume are the latest revision (standard 8 pin 1A). I talked at length with Paul in the shop who is very knowledgable on DCC and decided I will start with the Bachmann chips and then when I know all my 50's are wired correctly might try a Zen one. So now I have some slight budget remaining for purchase of a sound loco when I see one I like.

What time are you heading to Salisbury for? Its quite possible I could make an appearance.

Cheers,

Stu.

1x DCC Controller installed.

2 x Class 50 chipped with Bachmann EZ decoders 1A (50011 & 50031)

i still have a heck of a lot to learn but CV's set on the 50s thanks to Ian (Temeraire) of this parish and test runs made.

It blinkin works.! Have tested most lines , point sets etc. and all is OK so far. One scary moment with some overloads. Panic over when I realised it might help if I set the facing point the right way - naturally it was one of the ones still waiting for a motor. 

Did actually do some modelling as well earlier this morning. Started Anglicising a Metcalfe Kit recently distributed with well known magazine into the tube station. All this after sorting the print alignment on our printer to get better PQ on photo paper.

Took a few pics tonight. Tomorrow may have a few hours to continue some scenic work.

Cheers,

Stu.

50011 stopped in the platform on the first test train on the down main

post-5142-0-55709000-1449958680_thumb.jpg

After another working 11 potters about in the yard lines

post-5142-0-27747700-1449958689_thumb.jpg

50031 worked through earlier and sits on the fuel point

post-5142-0-19831400-1449958697_thumb.jpg

Current state of the Anglicised tube station. Canopy continues round saying "Piccadilly Line" and also Underground signs are on the side of the low relief, just that they won't get seen from many angles.

post-5142-0-62409700-1449958703_thumb.jpg

• Like 6