London Calling.. WR Mainline - Acton Green

SparxD428

• RMweb Premium

Only just come across this, and some very nice modelling going on.  In answer to your last question, personally I'm not a fan of a scenic fiddle yard, I always think it defeats the object, but I can see where you're going with it, and it could be a nice little model in its own right - almost using the main layout as a fiddle yard for when you want to just operate the yard.  That said, as someone who always has way more stock than will fit, from a purely practical point of view I'd go for the extension around the corner!

Going back to your comments on your Lima 47 though, it sounds like it might be as simple as dirty pick ups and/or a poor connection.  I find most of my Lima stock runs as well on DCC as on DC, and most runs fine, within the capabilities of the motor, so long as the pickups are clean, not just the wheels.  Make sure the wheel backs are clean, and dismantle the bodies and clean the pick ups and axles too, to ensure a good contact throughout, it'll probably cure the problem, or at least get it responding properly again.  

Got me thinking,

This is how the fiddle would look scenic.

Just a few details to set the scene. Mess room, maybe big lighting gantry and urban backdrop. " cesscot yard " !

The dotted line is a possible right angle extension , but it would mean a 19 inch radius Curve era ing the fiddle in one of the bottom two sidings - I think it would look strange !

And I'm not sure what extra it brings.

What does anyone think ? Is it worth making the fiddle scenic as I'm loosing a lot of real estate at present.

Bachmann also have an ideal mess room on the market at present

.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hi Rob,

Got a feeling you posted this on my thread by accident, just in case you have been shouting at your computer wondering where your post went !!

Would be happy to have you and 31415 over at some point soon. Once the layout is in almost "completed" state in the next few months I will hold a running night for fellow RM Webbers to run the first proper services, as you can probably tell from the pics I'm a bit short of stock for a full western region commuter night so will be pleased to invite you along.

Cheers,

Stu.

• Like 2

looks great but you need stuff like bubble cars and class 104 conversions. Possibly have 2 bubble cars with a 117 trailer in between, have seen that. Other than that, taking shape really well

Hi Matthew,

I agree, I am a bit short of stock and have concentrated my spending on getting the materials to get it complete although occassionally get sidetracked with the odd purchase.

I do have an old Lima 117 DMU which I am thinking of hard wiring DCC but despite my weathering efforts about 25 years ago it may need a bit more TLC before its acceptable. I have run the centre car and trailer DMS being pushed by the DPU occassionally so have that option in the short term. I would very much like a new Bachmann 117 when its released and a 121 when I can find one. And a 31, few 47s, more 50s, HSTs..... 

In regard to 104s if I remember a few came later in the 1980s when they were used on the Goblin so might not be likely to appear on my layout but I may stand corrected as my knowledge of DMU's is almost postage stamp material.

Cheers,

Stu.

Only just come across this, and some very nice modelling going on.  In answer to your last question, personally I'm not a fan of a scenic fiddle yard, I always think it defeats the object, but I can see where you're going with it, and it could be a nice little model in its own right - almost using the main layout as a fiddle yard for when you want to just operate the yard.  That said, as someone who always has way more stock than will fit, from a purely practical point of view I'd go for the extension around the corner!

Going back to your comments on your Lima 47 though, it sounds like it might be as simple as dirty pick ups and/or a poor connection.  I find most of my Lima stock runs as well on DCC as on DC, and most runs fine, within the capabilities of the motor, so long as the pickups are clean, not just the wheels.  Make sure the wheel backs are clean, and dismantle the bodies and clean the pick ups and axles too, to ensure a good contact throughout, it'll probably cure the problem, or at least get it responding properly again.  

Thanks JDW. I agree regarding the Lima 47. I remember that I stripped it out a while back after I purchased it second hand for a full clean, grease and gear sprue trim etc. when it was on my old DC layout but for some reason thought it was done much more recently than I did, so it probably just needs the same TLC to make it a little smoother, although it does run OK once a happy constant speed can be found.

Cheers,

Stu.

More work this weekend on the embankment and with yet more ballast infill in light grey, trying to break down the overly brown appearance.

Also started project 117. A full service on the Lima DMBS and had it running beautifully on a DC test track. Fitted a DCC Gaugemaster chip and after a bit of research and tweaking of CV's have it running pretty well under DCC on the layout. Also tweaked the settings for the Lima 47 and now this is running much much better on DCC so will be retaining its services.

Started repainting the BR Blue on the DMU trailer and centre car as well to improve the appearance after the dreadful weathering of my youth some 25+ years ago. It will be reappearing as set L419.

Hope now to detail it and might even have a go at flushglazing, as this weekend I did my first flush glaze kit fitting on a Lima BSK and it has improved the appearance no end, so with a renumber and weathering on that as well will be useable on the layout. So coach numerals and set numbers are on the shopping list.

Having a night off though to watch England v Slovakia

Will try and get some pics of further work later in the week.

Cheers

Stu.

• Like 2

Hi Rob,

Got a feeling you posted this on my thread by accident, just in case you have been shouting at your computer wondering where your post went !!

Would be happy to have you and 31415 over at some point soon. Once the layout is in almost "completed" state in the next few months I will hold a running night for fellow RM Webbers to run the first proper services, as you can probably tell from the pics I'm a bit short of stock for a full western region commuter night so will be pleased to invite you along.

Cheers,

Stu.

Sorry stu, was using the little Apple not the full size one !

Another busy weekend on the layout has resulted in a little more progress. Some light grey infill ballast has been put round the curve and needs completing and weathering now that the 4 foot weathering has been completed on all of the scenic section. Last weekend I continued constructing the embankment and this is looking a little better now. Still have to finish off the retaining walls but getting there.

However, most of this week and weekend has been spent working on the Lima 117 DMU now that it is running under DCC and performing OK for such an ancient machine.

So, things I have done on the Lima DMU so far:-

Repainted all the BR Blue

Repainted the Yellow Ends.

Flush glazed the cab windows by using plastic clear packing used on Peco points, and cut to (almost) perfect size by several trial and error attempts

Used plasticard to reshape the headcode boxes to more realistic size and mix paint to colour roof grey.

Painted the seating blue in the DMBS and TCL

Made a "READING" indicator blind for the DMBS

Painted most of the door handles/rails silver until I ran out of silver paint

Painted the exhausts on the DMBS silver

Put a couple of passengers in the DMBS (although I cant really see them..)

Numbered the fronts "419" and put electriification flashes in windscreen

Weathered the DMBS underframe a little.

Added BR arrows and numbered DMBS-51356 , DMS-51398. TL remains with the Lima W59508 number

Things I still need to do to the DMU:-

Cut off the couplings at the fronts

Fit proper size Oleo buffers and beam detail

Make up and fit Windscreen wipers to screens

Paint the seating in the DMS and tidy up the DCC wiring

Fit another indicator blind in the DMS probably also showing Reading as destination.

Add a driver in one or each cab

Flush glaze the sides of each car.

Add an "L" prefix to set numbers

And possibly remotor it in the future and do the DMBS/DMS conversion but I think thats enough for now though I probably missed off a few things.

So after such a list a few pictures to lighten the mood..

Cheers,

Stu.

L419 arriving at Acton Green with 51356 leading

post-5142-0-16896500-1466972664_thumb.jpg

post-5142-0-87584700-1466972666_thumb.jpg

50011 on parcels whilst 33004 / 50004 idle

post-5142-0-40886800-1466972669_thumb.jpg

Work on the embankment / ballasting progress around the curve viewed from various angles

post-5142-0-84997200-1466972671_thumb.jpg

post-5142-0-27257900-1466972674_thumb.jpg

post-5142-0-53133300-1466972677_thumb.jpg

And finally some more pics of L419

post-5142-0-77502600-1466972680_thumb.jpg

post-5142-0-31564900-1466972683_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Yeah, I've been interested in 117's for a while and having looked around the internet, apparently the lima model is inaccurate and once you change 1 part the rest looks wrong. If I was to make a 117, I would chop up some 121's as they are meant to be similar. Other than that, great model and hope it turns out alright!

Yeah, I've been interested in 117's for a while and having looked around the internet, apparently the lima model is inaccurate and once you change 1 part the rest looks wrong. If I was to make a 117, I would chop up some 121's as they are meant to be similar. Other than that, great model and hope it turns out alright!

Where would you get the bubbles ? Not many limby ones around now - I'd just wait for the Bachmann one.

I have fond memories of traveling on these - the rhymic vibration, the pause whilst the gear changes, the efficient underseat heating and the comfy springy seats......almost makes me sleepy.

• Like 1

Class 117 looks good Stu, the only thing I would suggest is that the large tension lock couplers look a bit unsightly. Are you considering replacing them? I've seen people use wire loops which improve the appearance no end.

Hornby does 121's, and on that point, there are pics on the internet of a 117 trailer sandwiched between 2 121's

Yeah, I know. But I think he wants the 117 not some strange lash up of bubbles and trailers.

All sorts of strange sh..stuff, was cobbled together just before the turbos took over

• 1 month later...

Been a little while but managed to get some time on the layout this weekend for the first time in ages. A complete track clean done yesterday followed by a little construction on the remaining retaining walls today has dusted off the cobwebs. Have a week off coming up soon so hopefully will have a few more hours to continue.

Took a couple of pics as normal.

50031 rounds the curve where the final retaining wall and scenic break is under construction

post-5142-0-81801500-1471205376_thumb.jpg

DMU on an up stopper with DPU on the fueller

post-5142-0-02291600-1471205379_thumb.jpg

Down fast vac powered runs through

post-5142-0-94736600-1471205381_thumb.jpg

Hope to update more and catch up with other posts soon.

Cheers,

Stu.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I have been busy recently with some scratchbuilding of buildings for the town/road backscene as well as ideas of how to fill the space using perspective to hide the roads vanishing points. I have also completed the retaining walls now and just need to finish the 2nd scenic break bridge. I was in the middle of sculpting polystyrene for the embankment between retaining walls when this arrived...

post-5142-0-56911100-1472211078_thumb.jpg

After an early derailment on the inside line (Down Main) across the lift section I was a little concerned only to remember I clouted in to it earlier in the day and dislodged the locking bolt !! Duly rectified and she runs fine on the inner line which to be honest is where she will spend most of her time running round. I need to tweak the DCC settings for slower speed as this is the first item I have ever ordered DCC fitted, so need to reprogram settings although with the second decoder in the dummy will check all current settings before messing around and killing the trailing lights.

In total I have a 5 car set as 7 will probably be too much for this size layout and at present the new Mk3's are mix of Eastern & Western so will be duly renumbered long in the future.

I also have some more platform and street lights to paint and plant before wiring.

Unfortunately back to work next week and away for most of September due to work so making the most of the time now.

A couple more pics

post-5142-0-12681800-1472211081_thumb.jpg

Retaining walls done in this image now just need to finish sculpting and creating the embankment

post-5142-0-80827200-1472211083_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Stu.

• Like 8

Much more modelling today including painting and planting the rest of the station lights as well as a few more signs.

Completed the embankment section mostly, just dotting a few bits of foliage and lichen around. Currently constructing the wall for the scenic break inner as well as the bridge itself. And planted the 2 remaining 4 aspect signals. I have opted not to add feathers to the relevant ones for the time being anyway.

Took a few more pics of some late trains running tonight

50011 on a short parcels on the down relief about to exit the scene

post-5142-0-80078200-1472328460_thumb.jpg

Side view of the new retaining wall and embankment with No.11 passing

post-5142-0-23870400-1472328463_thumb.jpg

And view of rear of train showing the 2 new Up signals in place

post-5142-0-94565000-1472328469_thumb.jpg

33004 on a short trip freight on the up relief gets held at the signal check

post-5142-0-66339400-1472328465_thumb.jpg

post-5142-0-13330900-1472328468_thumb.jpg

If I have time tomorrow I may try and complete the bridge section or wire up the station and yard lights.

Cheers

Stu.

• Like 7

Continued working on some buildings recently and they are coming along slowly. For now, they will do to help start filling the void that was the street scene.

The flats have now been weathered and also i created some printed inserts for the balconies using brickwork pattern and simply just MS-Paint.

Just a few snagging jobs on those and they will be complete.

I downloaded a Kingsway free shop kit as a test and built it backed on card and mount board. I shunted 2 together and anglicised it a little to create a run of flats and shops with flats above, and added some pipe to represent drainpipes. Again snagging work needed but they are filling the background. I need also to create a small panel for flat door buzzers for them.

Finally I purchased a Metcalfe Cinema kit and am very taken by it, though in 1980s style I fear that the Regal would have closed and a load of snooker tables would be inside, hence it is Acton Snooker Club.

Took a few pics, not great but at least progress can be seen.

Cheers,

Stu

The flats now looking more grubby

post-5142-0-60789100-1472758018_thumb.jpg

With passing HST..

post-5142-0-37696500-1472758015_thumb.jpg

View over the road bridge

post-5142-0-82436600-1472758011_thumb.jpg

And the Snooker club

post-5142-0-22350700-1472758009_thumb.jpg

• Like 7