New 'stuff' from Lanarkshire Models & Supplies

davefrk

• RMweb Premium

You know that time you are looking through your buffer stash.

1ft 8.5 13inch 2 rib

Humm found them - no 16 and 4 rib, what about these. nope oleo. 2 rib, no 1ft 6in.

Anyway just ordered some

• 2 weeks later...

Oh go on then as were wishlisting. How about some of these European Reverse Rectangular Buffers  (Ringfeder maybe?) as fitted to 59003 and lots of UK wagon stock.  My Photo

59003 Buffer .JPG

Also the Wagon Variant which looks slightly different and be very handy for the Dapol Telescopic Hood Steel wagons as well as other types. 

steel coil hood 1

The other version that would be handy is the loaf of Bread Shaped one as fitted to the Freightliner HIA Hoppers. Again very handy replacement for the slightly under nourished ones on the Dapol Model. 

HIA Wagons for repair

Cheers Trailrage

Edited by TRAILRAGE
1/2 lbs of Sausages on me hands instead of fingers!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ordered some items recently..delivery was very quick and very well packaged. Why can't others produce casting like Dave does?

Trains for Chapel en le Frith  are now fitted with the correct lamps...

Baz

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, davefrk said:

Didn't realise there were unread posts on this thread, I do apologise. Been in a bit of a black dog mood recently due to some extended family problems with a nasty brother in law from London who is interferring with what Fiona as 'Power of attorney' is trying to do for her mother. The police have been involved which has shut him up for a while....

Anyway, finally got the website to upload, there had been a problem with the host saying our account was out of date to which I countered but we're still being billed for the website, oh they said.... Eventually they sent a patch and a new pass code number and we've spent all afternoon trying to get it all to work, it did work eventually through Opera but wouldn't work on Firefox until we deleted our cache/history and uploaded again then all of a sudden it was there, way hey.
So, the Stanier 3P tank boiler fittings for the Judith Edge kit are now on the website in the 'miscellaneous' section.
The LMS home page is showing November 2020 date, if you don't get the right page with a link or favourites then use the address www.lanarkshiremodels.com and save that as there may be a couple of ghost pages still around.

Cheers all
Dave Franks

Viewing the new 3P listings on iPad, something seems to have gone a bit wrong with the details of which items are in set  LDB01B?  i.e. the “curly vent pipes (left and right handed)” looks to be part of LDB01C (opening bracket also missing!)

Would it maybe also be possible to make the pictures clickable to enlarge them so your handy work can be seen better?  Or to have separate, close up pictures?  Thinking about it, clickable images, to enable them to be seen at a larger size, might also be worth considering for other items?  Would then let folk see the details incorporated more easily! 

I must look out my Nu-cast 3P and see what parts come with that and whether they are suitable for one of the Dumfries based ones.

Hope some of this helps or is worth consideration.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas Dave and Fiona. 

Best wishes for the festive period and the New Year. 

May I ask, are you still doing buffer stops for the Great Eastern or is this a figment of my woolly head ? 

Rob. 

• RMweb Gold

Wishing you both a Merry Christmas David & Fiona. 

Thanks for supplying us with loads of lovely buffers and stuff during this difficult year. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello Dave

I am wondering if you do something suitable for these

Extended

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/dmu-1xx/126/ha0fc264c#ha0fc2fe4

Retracted

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/dmu-1xx/126/ha0fc264c#ha0fc3199

If not would love 4 extended and 20 retracted

Edited by MJI

• 7 months later...

Excellent service from Dave Franks of Lanarkshire Models.

Ordered 20 BO23 cast buffers for my build of five Cambrian Herring and they arrived very speedily this morning.

Great service from an unconnected but happy customer   

• Like 1

Well, now that I've moved and slowly settling in to my new place, some modelling will be coming to the fore again, so I guess I'd better start bouncing business Dave's way again! 

Some buffer stops might be in the offing!

• Round of applause 1

• 7 months later...

I feel the need to praise Dave at Lanarkshire Models for great service - took the time to answer an email even though I had never ordered from him before, and then replied to a further question sent when I placed an order. Also took time to advise me when the order was posted and it arrived two days later. Great service! I only ordered a few buffer stops as samples before placing a bigger order (I need quite a few more).

The casting are things of beauty and it’s almost a shame to stick them together and paint them…..

ps Edit to add that the packaging was very good 

Edited by sp1
Add further comment
  • Like 7
  • Agree 4

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That is a very neat piece of work, particularly where the verticals hook under the running rails to resist the force of a  collision.

I wonder if that worked?   Most siding stop blocks usually resisted the force of a collision unless they were really old and. rust/sleeper rot was winning in which case they simply fell apart.  What normally happened was that the fishplates broke and the stop block slid, in one piece or in the case of lighter wagons they simply rode up and landed on top of the stop block.

Really hard, runaway type, collisions - especially with a loco leading normally demolished the stop blocks unless the fishplates gave way first and there was room for the blocks to slide as far as the momentum of the collision would take them.

So an accurately portrayed set of sorting sidings, or a marshalling yard, with dead end sidings - especially in BR days - would have several roads with a gap between the end of the rails and the stop block.  They tended in the 1970s to be left like that to save the hassle of dragging the block back into place

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

I suspect that the hooked under rails took a little of the strain and shearing forces away from the bolts in the assembly, as you say, no buffer stop is going to stop a proper collision. In the bay platform at Lancaster there is a hydraulic buffer stop of some vintage, whereas the buffer stops at the current Morecambe terminus are of the goods type and neglected to the point where the sleepers aren't fit for firewood.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, davefrk said:

Been a long time since I was on here it seems, things have been very hectic with Lanarkshire Models these past two years however, the good news is I've managed to complete the masters for an LSWR standard bufferstop. At last! I hear someone say....

I was fortunate to have obtained a copy of an 1894 LSWR drawing which showed details which couldn'd be made out from photographs so the complicated brackets holding the beam in place have been replicated accordingly. The drawing shows old loco buffers fitted for bay platforms but the bufferstop will be available without or as an option.

Pictures of the masters for the mould held together with 'Bluetac'

1318977869_LSWRbufferstop.JPG.df0f2892fb9c1fe56be65650a5f4d053.JPG

And with loco buffers.

894152681_LSWRbufferstopwithbuffers.JPG.e75cf4a7bea28ef59da0a99d2df9824f.JPG

Also I've been working on a GWR Collett parallel loco buffer which should go into the same mould to multiply up for a production mould.

Cheers,

Dave Franks

Thanks Dave. Another gem.

Phil

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Serious stuff but I think they had fun doing it.

The hydraulic buffer stops at Paddington (on three of the arrival platforms) were tested every other Sunday.  The test consisted of running an engine, normally a pannier tank, into the stops at about 5 mph and apparently was regarded as quite a good turn to work (i.e. it wasn't hard work and it was a Sunday turn so paid well).  Some wags allegedly tried it at 'a bit more than 5mph' which could result in 'fun' with coal and water 'moving about' and that was allegedly one reason why tender engines were not used for the job. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1