New 'stuff' from Lanarkshire Models & Supplies

davefrk

Hi Ian, I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean. Our buffers are pre-drilled ready to take MJT and 51L sprung buffer heads and they require no further drilling. The bore is 1mm so far down then 0.5mm right through, this is to allow a seating for the spring and is the conventional way of doing things.

Can you explain further what you are trying to do?

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the reply Dave. The ones i got from you werent drilled all of the way through. The thin part which goes into the buffer beam werent drilled but the buffer head end was. I will see if i can upload a pic later. Ian

Hi Ian, I'm very surprised that you say the buffer housing wasn't drilled right through with a 0.5 drill, I can understand if one was missed but not all four in a set. Can you return these for a exchange.

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave - I am unable to return them as they are stuck to my coach and I drilled them out myself (wonky but they work). Its not a significant enough of an issue or cost to worry about returning them - I just thought it was something you could look at for the future. However, as you say they are definitely pre-drilled all the way though, I may have just had a set that missed QA.  I will now be ordering more from you so no concern there.

I appreciate your engagement on the issue and looking into it for me.

Ian

• Like 2

Just heard from the people at the local Post Office that all the mail posted since Tuesday was picked up early this morning and what I took there today probably won't now go till Monday.

Apologies for the delay but there seems to be some problems with the weather.... :scratchhead:

Dave Franks.

Hi Dave, I seem to recall somewhere you said you were looking at doing the shorty buffers for the inside ends of B sets. Have these progressed at all? 

cheers

Hi Ric, yes, I've been trying to find info on these buffers for some time but all that has turned up are photos with no dimensions so as I'd rather work from drawings to get them right I haven't been able to produce the shorty buffers as yet.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ric, yes, I've been trying to find info on these buffers for some time but all that has turned up are photos with no dimensions so as I'd rather work from drawings to get them right I haven't been able to produce the shorty buffers as yet.

Ok thanks for the update, understand the need to work from drawings. 

Just heard from the people at the local Post Office that all the mail posted since Tuesday was picked up early this morning and what I took there today probably won't now go till Monday.

Apologies for the delay but there seems to be some problems with the weather.... :scratchhead:

Dave Franks.

I think I can manage with the last lot until next week... ;-)

D4

• 2 months later...

Further to a post above it appears that at another person has been trying to fit MJT bufferheads to our  drilled out housings, they had bought the 18'' sprung heads thinking they would fit but they had bought 18'' heads with a 1.4mm shank which are for OLEO buffers instead of the 18'' with a 1mm shank which the coach buffer housings were drilled to suit.

Please be aware that MJT bufferheads come in various sizes.

Dave Franks.

NEW BUFFERS AVAILABLE NOW.....

Due to an impassioned plea we have done some more modern OLEO buffers. Similar to our 2'0'(and a bit) long BP05 we have BP07 and BP08 the first with a 13'' head and the second with a 16'' head. These are available now but, after a big problem with our computer we are now learning W10 on a new machine and haven't yet managed to upload the new products to the website...

If you do want these items please order BP05 and let us know by email what you actually want, same prices etc.

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks very much Roy, we try to send orders out by return and sometimes they arrive within 24 hours of the order, nothing to do with me so it must be the Royal Mail doing an excellent job.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Work has recommenced on the BR tender chassis, the design is similar to the previous Fowler, Stanier, WD and Ivatt chassis in that the CSB suspension is already arranged for you. The first BR chassis will be for the BR2 series of tenders as fitted to the 2-6-0 3mt & 4mt and 4-6-0 4mt locos. All the usual detail including the frame stretchers, brake pull rods and linkages. The next chassis should follow very quickly and this is for the BR1 series (A,B,C,D,F,H,G and J.) fitted to Britannia, Clan, 9F, 5mt and some smaller locos.

The chassis are designed for converting most RTR and kit built loco tenders to a fully sprung and detailed tender frame for EM or P4. Hornby tenders may need a bit more work to fit as they have an internal frame holding the wheels in place whereas Bachmann have nothing.

Photos will follow once I have trial built some samples but the mockup works very well. :sungum:

Dave Franks.

• Like 4

Work has recommenced on the BR tender chassis, the design is similar to the previous Fowler, Stanier, WD and Ivatt chassis in that the CSB suspension is already arranged for you. The first BR chassis will be for the BR2 series of tenders as fitted to the 2-6-0 3mt & 4mt and 4-6-0 4mt locos. All the usual detail including the frame stretchers, brake pull rods and linkages. The next chassis should follow very quickly and this is for the BR1 series (A,B,C,D,F,H,G and J.) fitted to Britannia, Clan, 9F, 5mt and some smaller locos.

The chassis are designed for converting most RTR and kit built loco tenders to a fully sprung and detailed tender frame for EM or P4. ....

Having a number of Standards, I may be in the market for a few.....

• 2 weeks later...

NEW BUFFERS AVAILABLE NOW.....

Due to an impassioned plea we have done some more modern OLEO buffers. Similar to our 2'0'(and a bit) long BP05 we have BP07 and BP08 the first with a 13'' head and the second with a 16'' head. These are available now but, after a big problem with our computer we are now learning W10 on a new machine and haven't yet managed to upload the new products to the website...

If you do want these items please order BP05 and let us know by email what you actually want, same prices etc.

Dave Franks.

Well, we've now been able to up-date the website after having to download the later version of the website package as well as learning Windows 10 (Argh). This has taken quite a bit of work to do and it's not finished yet but at least the new Pneumatic buffers BP07 and BP08 are on there now.

I had intended increasing a few prices in April so unfortunately they are on the website now. Changes too with the postage due to the Royal Mail price increases in March plus the increases in the envelopes and packaging.

I'm going through the website checking all the links and photos so if you spot any wrong uns please let me know.

Dave Franks

A scale chassis for Bachmann 08 would be nice!

Doesn't someone already do one David, I had one a few years ago for a Kitmaster 08 kit but I sold it recently. I'll ask around.

Dave.

A scale chassis for Bachmann 08 would be nice!

Doesn't someone already do one David, I had one a few years ago for a Kitmaster 08 kit but I sold it recently. I'll ask around.

There used to be two choices: Impetus or Crownline. Both long gone now.

Sounds like a job for High Level Kits?

MOK was taking taking orders for their 4mm 08 chassis way back when:

http://www.modernoutline.co.uk/modern_outline_021.html

Nothing has appeared up till now and Mr G won't mind me saying that High Level wouldn't consider doing one to rival a friend's product, even though it hasn't turned up  yet. I've been trying to twist his arm to do an 08 chassis for eons!

Hornby's 08 has alway had provision to spring the centre axle on it's 08 chassis and the latest incarnation of this model has (at last) got the springs fitted.

Using nothing more that a 1.7 mm drill  it will be easy to spring all axles. The first one I've done like this, completed in the  early hours of Saturday morning ran fine under exhibition conditions over last weekend. I'm just waiting for more springs to be delivered so that I can now spring my other three.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

MOK was taking taking orders for their 4mm 08 chassis way back when:

http://www.modernoutline.co.uk/modern_outline_021.html

Nothing has appeared up till now and Mr G won't mind me saying that High Level wouldn't consider doing one to rival a friend's product, even though it hasn't turned up  yet. I've been trying to twist his arm to do an 08 chassis for eons!....

I think Dave Sharp is way too busy with 7mm scale production and life in general to resurrect the 4mm 08. The chassis artwork would have to be modified to cater for CSB adherents too. Having also registered interest when it was first canvassed on the website, it's now some four years later (I still have my e-mail correspondence with Dave) and my gut feeling is that it won't now happen. Fortunately I have since acquired two unbuilt MOK 08 full kits, and a few Impetus chassis, so I'm out of the market now. Pity, but there you go.

I have no experience of the Hornby 08 so I can't comment on that one. I do have experience of the Bachmann 08 and the issue with it is that the underframe is out of the loading gauge. It doen't help, mind you, that both the AGW and Ultrascale wheelsets are over scale too ie the fly cranks are much too wide.

Markits do an axle with fly cranks which I have but haven't yet tried out, also I have tried to interest Brassmasters in a possible kit but they have expressed, very politely, that they are not interested.

Bearing in mind that Bachmann have sold lots of their 08 there must be a market for a scale replacement underframe.

• RMweb Gold

Bearing in mind that Bachmann have sold lots of their 08 there must be a market for a scale replacement underframe.

Bearing in mind that the vast majority will have gone to modellers of 4 foot gauge railways who will be quite happy that they clunk along their girders, I shouldn't think there would be much of a feeding frenzy if a scale chassis appeared.

IMHO the Hornby version is a tad more refined (not perfect), and I've seen quite a few successfully adapted the broader gauges, so maybe that is where the knowledgeable money goes?

Mike.

that both the AGW and Ultrascale wheelsets are over scale too ie the fly cranks are much too wide.

Your measuring instruments must be considerably more flexible than mine. Both AG and U'scale cranks that I have used have been within 10% of the width of prototype cranks I have measured.

post-508-0-05803300-1532998020_thumb.jpg

post-508-0-54855500-1532998050_thumb.jpg

But If you are not satisfied with aftermarket plastic cranks you can always resort to the laminate brass crank that is available. You could make that up to the width of your choice. (Within an accuracy of one lamination width of course).

To my eyes the diameter of the 3mm axle visible through the crank end coupled with oversize crankpin bolts are a far larger visual error than any perceived incorrectness in crank width.

The Hornby side frames are spaced about 1 mm over width  but not as extreme as Bachmanns 08. Hornby have reduced the width of the springs and Hornguide cheeks to compensate but give a much better impression of depth that Bachmann.

Sorry for dragging your thread off top again Mr F. By way of an apology please accept this phot of three Hornby 08 undergubbins. Note which one is fitted with the visually and mechanically improved LMS buffers.   :wink_mini:

And how far out the Hornby 00 coupling rods protrude as opposed to the "Fat Crank" P4 rods.

post-508-0-20783900-1532999780_thumb.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

Bearing in mind that the vast majority will have gone to modellers of 4 foot gauge railways who will be quite happy that they clunk along their girders, I shouldn't think there would be much of a feeding frenzy if a scale chassis appeared.

IMHO the Hornby version is a tad more refined (not perfect), and I've seen quite a few successfully adapted the broader gauges, so maybe that is where the knowledgeable money goes?

Mike.

If you are going to all the trouble to build an etched chassis you might as well go for the etched body as well!

It was always a shame that the MOK had the chevrons etched on the ends !

Mark Saunders