Devon Diesel Era Photo Record

Garry Morris

On the subject of super DMU's. I am indebted to Mike Farr for this truly superb image captured at Tiverton Junction on an idyllic summer evening. The returning 1C28 Plymouth (or Penzance)to Cardiff SO Inter-City Swindon set races through while the crew of an up stopper have time to chat up a pretty lady! This dmu diagram actually changed for one season to working to Kingswear but very few pictures exist, they were never very common in Devon. One is left pondering what is approaching on a down service?

post-12275-0-58508000-1487523497_thumb.jpg

Edited by Garry Morris
  • Like 19

On the subject of super DMU's. I am indebted to Mike Farr for this truly superb image captured at Tiverton Junction on an idyllic summer evening. The returning 1C28 Plymouth (or Penzance)to Cardiff SO Inter-City Swindon set races through while the crew of an up stopper have time to chat up a pretty lady! This dmu diagram actually changed for one season to working to Kingswear but very few pictures exist, they were never very common in Devon. One is left pondering what is approaching on a down service?

Lovely shot that

• Like 1

Maroon SYP Warship ??

It's almost possible to feel that evening sun ...............

• Like 1

No doubt its been modelled already but what a great example of a potential layout.  Main line station with interesting point work, sidings, bay platform with the branch curving away, not to mention all the signals, etc.

Brian.

• Like 1

No doubt its been modelled already but what a great example of a potential layout.  Main line station with interesting point work, sidings, bay platform with the branch curving away, not to mention all the signals, etc.

Brian.

A summer Saturday visit to which was the subject of a great article in March 2010 Traction Magazine

Brian.

I am too young to remember Tiverton Junction in its heyday but it must have been a pretty busy place.

As well as the Hemyock branch trains leaving from the outside of the down island platform there was also the local auto train

service to Tiverton, about a dozen trains each weekday, which left from the outside face of the up island platform.

Added to that on the down side as well as the small goods shed there were six freight sidings at the west end to handle the freight interchange for the two branches.

On the up side another half a dozen sidings and the small loco shed that housed the two 14XX locos sub-allocated from Exeter.

There is also the Esso oil terminal, the tracks of which can be seen at the top left of the photo,

cheers 

By the time I was taking a serious interest in railways Tiverton Junction was a sad shadow of its former self before closure in 1986.

The 1977/78 public timetable shows only four trains calling in each direction on a weekday, compare that to the current situation at Tiverton Parkway which opened as a replacement in 1986, where two trains an hour call in each direction through the middle of the day, and an overflow car park has been built as the original station car park is normally full.

Here are a couple of photos from 1981, first looking up the line towards Taunton as in the picture posted above.

post-7081-0-76748000-1487613700_thumb.jpg

47090 Vulcan passes through Tiverton Junction on the down main line with the 07.50 Bristol to Plymouth 24/8/81. 

Now looking the other way towards Exeter,

post-7081-0-41068400-1487613938_thumb.jpg

The 07.26 Paignton to Paddington service speeds through Tiverton Junction behind 47445, some of the down sidings can be seen on the left, and on the right is the slaughter house owned by local butcher Lloyd Maunder, which once had a siding to the meat loading bay, the former Tiverton branch curved away to the right, 24/8/81

cheers

• Like 10

Ah good old Tiverton Junction - I only remember it as Rivercider does - after its heyday.

Re the green head code panel on the 47s - my recollection was that the black domino headcode panels which became common after 76 began to be replaced on some locos and I always assumed it was simple discolouration arising from removal of black paint......

Though as a teacher once told me 'never assume' ! I love this thread, one of my first ports of call along with Dave Fs photo thread of an evening. Followed of course by a visit to the a Royal Duchy.

Best regards

Matt W

Edited by D826

• RMweb Premium

Queens Park Sidings Paignton. 26.7.71 Summer Saturday. 804 Avenger pulls up in Platform 1 as 47 is busy arranging stock in the sidings. Happy days!

It's a Peak not a 47. Super photo though showing clearly how it was before the Torbay and Dartmouth Railway station. I first visited in 1975 and didn't know there used to be full length sidings there.

Edited by brushman47544

Gary

Clicking like is not good enough for that picture. A peak and a warship together - cracking - only about 300 hp between them but about 60 tons difference. It'd be fantastic to hear either rounding the cant curves at the Langstone Rock and opening up past the plate layers hut that used to be there.

A reminder of type 4 variety - without our normal favourites of that time (but we all know Western Hydraulics have the edge over the rest ).

Best regards

Matt W

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I like that 2nd one. With a bit of sunshine & good paint condition, blue & grey can look quite smart!  Shame those conditions didn't happen too often... ;)

I notice the yellow coach destination boards too, so must be a 'prestige' train.

The unidentified maroon Western looks a bit faded in comparison.

A shame the first picture's quality is a bit poor, the 1st van might be a Siphon but difficult to tell.

2 More for you

D1048/22/37 at Laira  Copyright GC Jones

Exeter D1049  out of my collection Copyright unknown.

Cheers GARETH

D1049 at Exeter St Davids may be working 4B10 15.45 Bristol to Plymouth, which usually conveyed an assorted selection of vans

the sun is right for an afternoon photo,

cheers

• Like 1