Devon Diesel Era Photo Record

Garry Morris

• RMweb Gold

That was when they were considered to be diesel-electric multiple units (2xx being the series for such things), and were intended to run as fixed formations. 253s were the original WR sets and 254s the ECML ones. I don't think this idea lasted long, as I can't remember such designations being used on the MML and Cross-Country sets.

As far as I know they are still regarded as sets Brian - in fact on the Western it would be a right shambles if they weren't as there are now several different formations in use which have to be identified by set number (although power cars do move around for various reasons.

As far as I know they are still regarded as sets Brian - in fact on the Western it would be a right shambles if they weren't as there are now several different formations in use which have to be identified by set number (although power cars do move around for various reasons.

But are they regarded as sets including power cars, or is it just the coaching-stock element that is regarded as a set? 

• RMweb Premium

I don't think the power cars are still considered to be part of the set, but since GWR operate stock from 2 leasing companies as well as their own First Group owned sets I'm told that they keep each train formed of vehicles from the same owner, including power cars. It does seem that the green set is permanently 'glued together', end to end though. 

The Super Express Train is also already causing problems, as S.E.T. and set sound the same when spoken! The phrase "there's a set coming off The Marsh" means something rather different to "there's a SET coming off The Marsh" while a "SET set" sounds silly. 

• Like 1

Another HST, this time passing Totnes on the Down Main

post-7081-0-73892700-1455708055.jpg

Set 253040 heads west through Totnes at 10.40, I did not record the service,

but this may be 1B22 07.25 Paddington - Plymouth which was non-stop at Totnes, 3/7/82

cheers

• Like 12

I don't think the power cars are still considered to be part of the set, but since GWR operate stock from 2 leasing companies as well as their own First Group owned sets I'm told that they keep each train formed of vehicles from the same owner, including power cars. It does seem that the green set is permanently 'glued together', end to end though. 

The Super Express Train is also already causing problems, as S.E.T. and set sound the same when spoken! The phrase "there's a set coming off The Marsh" means something rather different to "there's a SET coming off The Marsh" while a "SET set" sounds silly. 

Not to mention asking the question 'is the road set?'

cheers

For a long periods in the 1970s and 1980s there were no booked DMU workings on the main line between Taunton and Exeter. As a result the Plymouth based sets tended to stay in Devon and Cornwall, and sets allocated to Bristol or further afield were not regularly seen in the far west. On a summer saturday afternoon in June 1985 a Bristol based set passed up through Newton Abbot on a ecs working.

post-7081-0-00965300-1455812119_thumb.jpg

Bristol class 119 set B591 passes Newton Abbot empty stock on the up through line at 15.08, 20/7/85

cheers   

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 12

Seeing the D&C Gresley Van (yellow) in the background. Has anyone ever seen a photo taken inside or of the entrance to the Newton Abbot Wagon Works behind the van? When did it close?

The van itself formed part of the short lived ambulance museum near Tavistock in the nineties I think. I don't know if it still survives today.

Edited by Garry Morris

Seeing the D&C Gresley Van (yellow) in the background. Has anyone ever seen a photo taken inside or of the entrance to the Newton Abbot Wagon Works behind the van? When did it close?

The van itself formed part of the short lived ambulance museum near Tavistock in the nineties I think. I don't know if it still survives today.

I would say the wagon works closed some time in the early 1970s, much of the workload went to Exmouth Junction.

Looking on Flickr there are photos showing the outside of the works populated with wagons in 1970.

There is a photo taken on 4th Jan 1975 with the Gresley coach in view, by which time it must have been closed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/loose_grip_99/4817930819/in/photolist-5CVFPp-jfRehR-u8o1ai-6R8vxd-6JXJ8v-8kK9YK-dCPqMF-7KJjwR-brH7tC-dt7M6D-7CJJHg-9RnZFU-hKuTm9-dzHJ1W-eCAdCB-4tvhjU-qPekTr-dsLQrt-wScSWq-jHPkA3-4KFSb2-b9jHCe-7WXwhB-9DFcpE-ehkVhK 

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

On GWR traincrew diagrams (at least last time I looked at one with an HST on) they are shown as Class 253.

This week saw a pair of Class 56's on Laira for a stock transfer See Cornwall Railway Society's excellent site for details. This occurs every month or so at the moment while HST stock is being taken to Kilmarnock for refurbishing? Hunslet/.Barclay of old I guess? Such locos have previously only ventured into Devon on railtours and these can be counted on one hand. A pair visited Penzance a few years ago on a Mazey Day Tour. 56010  is seen here heading for Kingswear 6/5/95 around Saltern Cove near Goodrington. Erosion is a problem on this stretch of line which is perilously close to the edge in parts as can be seen here.

post-12275-0-68787100-1457278563_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Following up post 246 on this thread this is my only record of the Ernesettle trip working. I was waiting in the Tamar Bridge carpark and just happened to hear something moving, so dashed down to a bridge over the Southern line in time to catch 08663 (D3830)  02/03/91.  A fraction of a second earlier would have been better to get the whole of the loco in but the going away shot clearly shows the formation of the train. I believe that only the small vent van is the traffic and the two larger vans barrier wagons? I am not sure why there is a brake van attached unless its's for security personnel? Only one trip has been made in the last two years to Ernesettle but it remains connected. This will be a future route into Plymouth again one day as no other options are viable - give it 50 years though!

post-12275-0-37566700-1457280758_thumb.jpg

post-12275-0-29420100-1457280813_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I am not sure why there is a brake van attached unless its's for security personnel? Only one trip has been made in the last two years to Ernesettle but it remains connected. 

Can't recall but if it was only partially fitted, then clearly a van would be required, but I'd have thought that it was more likely that it was for security personnel, as you suggest, or there was some problem with the run-round at Ernesettle, and the outward movement had had to be propelled (although even that would only have taken place if that was permitted in the Sectional Appendix, can't recall at the moment). As you say, Ernesettle is still connected and will remain so.

Surely the van is there because the VEA is conveying, or has conveyed, explosives or other hazardous substances; the logic being that, in the event of an incident, the guard would not have to walk past the vehicle when going to protect the rear of the train with lamp and detonators. Long after most trains were worked as driver-only, or with guard in the rear cab, certain traffics merited a brake van; Dover Town yard had a number of 'vans allocated until it closed in 1995, specifically for trains conveying hazardous material.

• RMweb Gold

Surely the van is there because the VEA is conveying, or has conveyed, explosives or other hazardous substances; the logic being that, in the event of an incident, the guard would not have to walk past the vehicle when going to protect the rear of the train with lamp and detonators. Long after most trains were worked as driver-only, or with guard in the rear cab, certain traffics merited a brake van; Dover Town yard had a number of 'vans allocated until it closed in 1995, specifically for trains conveying hazardous material.

Yes, on reflection, I think you're right. Those were the days!

Following up post 246 on this thread this is my only record of the Ernesettle trip working. I was waiting in the Tamar Bridge carpark and just happened to hear something moving, so dashed down to a bridge over the Southern line in time to catch 08663 (D3830)  02/03/91.  A fraction of a second earlier would have been better to get the whole of the loco in but the going away shot clearly shows the formation of the train. I believe that only the small vent van is the traffic and the two larger vans barrier wagons? I am not sure why there is a brake van attached unless its's for security personnel? Only one trip has been made in the last two years to Ernesettle but it remains connected. This will be a future route into Plymouth again one day as no other options are viable - give it 50 years though!

I would agree with Brian that the VEA is conveying explosives (class 1 Dangerous Goods) and the vans either side are there to provide the necessary barrier requirement. As I recall the requirement was for 30' of covered vehicle(s) to separate the dangerous goods from the loco, and another 30' of covered vehicle(s) to separate the dangerous goods from the brake van.

The West of England became a fully fitted zone in the mid 1980s and thereafter all trains had to be fully fitted unless by special authorisation. This would have been a fully fitted air braked train but class 08 locos were not permitted to work Driver Only Operated (DOO) trains so a brake van would have been provided for the guard ( and possibly a travelling shunter).  4

Like Garry I also only photographed the Ernesettle trip once, running through Plymouth.

post-7081-0-64433700-1457796310.jpg

08953 hauls the return trip from Ernesettle into Plymouth.

I imagine the first four VEAs are either empty or loaded with non dangerous MoD stores as is the air braked open. Then at the rear another three VEAs are flanked by a VDA and a BR ferry van in use as a barrier wagon with the brake van at the tail, 15/11/82

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 7

On GWR traincrew diagrams (at least last time I looked at one with an HST on) they are shown as Class 253.

ISTR that "Genesis" shows what I assumed to be set numbers (?) allocated to each particular train i.e. PM01, LA06 etc. , although I suppose they could be depot diagrams - never quite got around to working that out

ISTR that "Genesis" shows what I assumed to be set numbers (?) allocated to each particular train i.e. PM01, LA06 etc. , although I suppose they could be depot diagrams - never quite got around to working that out

I am trying to remember my later days in Bristol TOPS in 1995/96 when we had become a POIS/TRUST office

PM01 was the set number, I think PM001 would have been a diagram number

cheers

Tavistock Junction Yard (15.3.16) rarely sees any revenue earning freight these days so a relatively new class 70 (70803) dumped there is quite newsworthy. It is awaiting recovery? after an altercation with some ballast wagons near Ivybridge. Damage is at the end facing away from the camera. The fact that it is so far down the siding indicates that it is not moving imminently (shades of 31285's lengthy stay at Exeter!) Sad to see the yard so desolate with only  a Shark brakevan (ex Cattedown), A RES van and an engineers wagon in the yard possibly from the same incident., Another wagon from this incident I believe has found it's way to Totnes engineers siding. Anyone got pictures of milk tanks at Totnes - they seem rare to come by.

post-12275-0-42577300-1458059494_thumb.jpg

post-12275-0-96025400-1458059586_thumb.jpg

• Like 10