Devon Diesel Era Photo Record

Garry Morris

More good memories, that 'last day of June' i was also out with my camera.

I saw both 50028 and 47539 while I was on the sea wall at Dawlish but did not get either of them, though I did take about 45 pictures that day.

I knew the song straightaway and remembered the artist, though not the title, (at 17 though I would have probably run a mile!)

cheers

• Like 1

Absolutely spot on with the song title (even the brackets correct!).

Looking the other way at the same location a northbound 47541 'The Queen Mother' of Eastfield.shed, a long way from home. Not sure of the working but it was soon after the previous westbound picture. I can still  only relate to these locos in their old numbering system even after all these years. As D1755 I know it is exotic!

post-12275-0-00014500-1428151983_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Sorry I think the last one is coming off the Paignton line.

Re- the song......She was 31, I was 17, I knew nothing about love, she knew everything......Bobby Goldsboro - the home of querky song subjects...He also had a hit about bereavement...Honey. Now how many people have had hits on that subject! 

Back to the action (not the song!) The first real surprise of the afternoon as this was a 47 the previous few weeks. 33008 Eastleigh (three namers in a row!) working the 14.10 Paignton to Swansea 1B36,  having worked in on the 08.36 Cardiff to Paignton. Once a service to Kingswear that regularly yielded an Ebbw Junction 9F (before my time). I wouldn't get much gardening done in those allotments!

post-12275-0-32045000-1428153354_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

50 029 Renown on a Paddington to Paignton service. A MK2 Brake Second at the front, seven Mk2E's, another MK2 brake and a blue GUV on the back. The Plymouth road is cleared for the Manchester - Newquay to proceed, sadly not racing this one to the split.

post-12275-0-90694000-1428154265_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Sorry I think the last one is coming off the Paignton line.

Re- the song......She was 31, I was 17, I knew nothing about love, she knew everything......Bobby Goldsboro - the home of querky song subjects...He also had a hit about bereavement...Honey. Now how many people have had hits on that subject! 

Oh well, I was in the right area - sort of.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting these photos, and the background information is useful too.

I saw 33008 on the way down at Dawlish Warren at 11.24 but never knew the working, and now I do.

post-7081-0-75545900-1428160847.jpg

33008 Eastleigh departs Dawlish Warren with the 08.36 Cardiff - Paignton, 

there was a lot of 'flailing' that day as I remember, 30/6/84

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 17

A Great Western semaphore emphatically off - I'm sure they don't normally drop to such a steep angle!

Looks as if the heat of the day has caused the wires to expand, and the bobby in Aller box hasn't had the time between trains to wind in the slack yet. What a wonderful reminder of happy holidays in the sunlit WR 1980s - thanks for a cracking thread!

David

Edited by DavidB
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting these photos, and the background information is useful too.

I saw 33008 on the way down at Dawlish Warren at 11.24 but never knew the working, and now I do.

attachicon.gifscan0001a.jpg

33008 Eastleigh departs Dawlish Warren with the 08.36 Cardiff - Paignton, 

there was a lot of 'flailing' that day as I remember, 30/6/84

cheers

Ah yes, flailing, bellowing and other immature pastimes.

The main reason that I kept well clear of the area.

The following train was the 1V72 09.11 Manchester to Newquay which I thought at the time had thrown up the most exotic traction of the afternoon with 47374  (D1893) heading it. I now see that it had in fact spent a short spell at Cardiff Canton having been for it's entire life in the North East on freight duties. Still a rare outing west though I suspect. Interesting to note the number on the front cab roof, good for photographers! I have no record of the up train disappearing in the distance on the line from Plymouth. A long train of Mk1's and no catering on board for the Newquay revellers!

post-12275-0-76293800-1428254210_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Lastly here we have the return working of 50029 Renown on the 15.35 Paignton to Oxford with the blue GUV prominent at the front. Aller Junction Signal Box is visible above the fourth vehicle. I doubt if the bobby had had time to make a cup of tea in the past couple of hours! 

I will sort through for some more pictures to put up but for now it's off to Minehead for a few days, then term begins. Thankyou for looking, feel free to copy, What a stunning shot of the 33 at Dawlish Warren, thanks for all the postings. Lets hope there's plenty more of this type of weather to come this summer.

post-12275-0-20176000-1428255453_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Lastly here we have the return working of 50029 Renown on the 15.35 Paignton to Oxford with the blue GUV prominent at the front. Aller Junction Signal Box is visible above the fourth vehicle. I doubt if the bobby had had time to make a cup of tea in the past couple of hours! 

I will sort through for some more pictures to put up but for now it's off to Minehead for a few days, then term begins. Thankyou for looking, feel free to copy, What a stunning shot of the 33 at Dawlish Warren, thanks for all the postings. Lets hope there's plenty more of this type of weather to come this summer.

More great memories from that sunny summers day, and I agree about the signalman being busy.

In my notes I see I got to Dawlish Warren at 09.35, and walked along via Langstone Cliff, and the sea wall  to Dawlish taking photos until 16.55.

I arrived on DMU set P464.

I think I recorded every train that passed me during that time whether I took a photo or not, possibly apart from HSTs. 

It may not quite  be a complete record but in  seven hours 20 minutes I recorded

1 class 33

14 class 45s

17 class 47s

21 class 50s

8 HSTs

Note that some of the locos were seen twice, and I dont think there were any DMUs along the sea wall during those hours, there being no pathways for purely local services in those days

Thanks for taking the time to scan those pictures and include details, I now have train details for two more of my photos (47374 and 45004)

cheers

• Like 1

Anyone got pictures of locos actually in Stoneycombe sidings?

There's a very good picture of Western Champion in the sidings on page 85 of 'Western Glory', a lovely book by Chris Chapman, full good quality colour photos of blue Westerns from 1975-77. In the same picture is the brick and concrete(blast protection!) signal box at Stoneycombe.

• Like 1

Just thought i would post some of my pics from the early eighties. A golden age for spotters it would now seem.

This one is an unknown peak from 1983, although the depot sticker on the nose might be a clue for someone to recognise it.

post-22783-0-88714200-1428839487_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

No, no flicr account, although maybe in the future. sadly a lot of my pictures from the eighties have not survived the intervening decades. and there was a good twenty odd years when I stopped taking pictures of railways. However i shall post what i have for any who are interested, and if the topic is relevent. I have started to take railway pics again, the difference in style after twenty odd years is remarkable.  Anyhow, here is 50013, on one of the first 50 ventures to Waterloo.

post-22783-0-28038800-1428869551_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Just thought i would post some of my pics from the early eighties. A golden age for spotters it would now seem.

This one is an unknown peak from 1983, although the depot sticker on the nose might be a clue for someone to recognise it.

Hi Gasky, welcome to RMWeb.

I like the shot of the peak on an up Speedlink at St Davids, looking on Flickr 45009 45048 and 45150 are three I can find with a depot sticker,

but none of the photos I can find have the distinctive scar or chip seen in the paintwork on your shot,

cheers 

Hi Gasky, welcome to RMWeb.

I like the shot of the peak on an up Speedlink at St Davids, looking on Flickr 45009 45048 and 45150 are three I can find with a depot sticker,

but none of the photos I can find have the distinctive scar or chip seen in the paintwork on your shot,

cheers 

I can`t see an ETH box, so i don`t think it could be 45150, 048 seems to ring a bell mind.

• Like 1

Looking at this photo it https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/8531166178/ it looks to be 45038

Steve