Glyn Valley Tramway Infrastructure

bécasse

23 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

at least some years ago there were 2 seperate groups because they had opposing views on the rebuilding, 1 wanted to re lay to the proper 2'4" while the other wanted 2'6" for cheaper and more available stock sourcing. i dont know what the situation is now

Dunno what difference it really makes. All they need is a really big vice to squeeze the wheels in on the axles a bit, and it'll run fine on 2'4".

• Like 1

I have a detailed map of the two Chirk stations but no scale, however re-reading the David Llewelyn book gave me the GVT platform length of 56 yards.  An approximate scaling of the carriage shed suggests a width of 15ft and length of 75ft......

Update - answered by PM, thanks.

Edited by Jeff Smith

• 1 month later...

I have a question regarding the brick bond that appears to have been used for several buildings including the Chirk station building, and probably the carriage shed.  English Garden (wall) Bond has 3 stretcher courses per header course but the GVT buildings seem to have 5 between header courses!

By some crazy coincidence I came across this building in a local park in St Louis where I am spending some time away from home.  I cannot find the age of the building but could be a century or so.

The stretcher courses are inconsistent between headers varying from three to six......

IMG_1108-2.jpg.44a22b360a4ff7be9e708b91d1f6ae6e.jpg

Apologies for the orientation - must be an iPhone/Kindle Fire disagreement!

A though came to me, if you uploaded into Templot (shapes) an old OS map this would give you a great idea of the sizes positions etc as it will automatically resize at the scale you have set into it, there is also a ruler function that can be used

On 24/05/2021 at 08:39, Jeff Smith said:

I have a detailed map of the two Chirk stations but no scale, however re-reading the David Llewelyn book gave me the GVT platform length of 56 yards.  An approximate scaling of the carriage shed suggests a width of 15ft and length of 75ft......

Update - answered by PM, thanks.

So, I wasn't too far out, "Rails to Glyn Ceiriog" suggests a length of 79'6" and width over buttresses of 19'6".   22" at 7mm scale......

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A section of brick work form the GVT booking office at Chirk, the building foundations are three bricks thick, on the front and side elevations and two bricks thick on the rear elevation.

Next week, on the 16th to 19th September the Glyn Valley Tramway Trust is planning to continue the restoration of the GVT station with a four day working party that will hopefully see more of the track-bed uncovered..  

GVTT 08.09.2021 (3).jpg

GVTT Chirk 08.09.2021 (1).jpg

• 4 months later...
On 29/08/2021 at 20:30, Fallen Flag said:

We  (Glyn Valley Tramway Trust) recently measured the Chirk (GVT) booking office foundations for our own purposes, they are 795cm by 415cm. The track bed width at the same location is 605cm (measured from platform edge to retaining wall.

Working party 27.08.2021 (4).jpg

Working party 12.08.2021 (4).jpg

Do you by chance have the bridge arch dimensions?

On 30/08/2021 at 01:30, Fallen Flag said:

We  (Glyn Valley Tramway Trust) recently measured the Chirk (GVT) booking office foundations for our own purposes, they are 795cm by 415cm. The track bed width at the same location is 605cm (measured from platform edge to retaining wall.

And now on today's BBC News page, well done for getting such great publicity, hope it helps in your endeavour.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59981852

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 9 months later...
On 29/08/2021 at 20:30, Fallen Flag said:

I was wondering if by any chance you had measured the distance from booking office to platform edge?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Larky2k said:

Has anyone got the 7mm drawings of the buildings?

The following are available from the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association 

Glyn Valley Tramway - Dolywern Waiting Room
Glyn Valley Tramway - Pandy Coal Office
Glyn Valley Tramway - Pontfadog Waiting Room
Glyn Valley Tramway - Standard River Bridge

See here     https://7mmnga.org.uk/7mmNarrowGaugeSalesLtd/publications/publication_details.php?ref=NLE09

• Thanks 1

On 18/08/2023 at 08:36, Mike Bellamy said:

The following are available from the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association 

Glyn Valley Tramway - Dolywern Waiting Room
Glyn Valley Tramway - Pandy Coal Office
Glyn Valley Tramway - Pontfadog Waiting Room
Glyn Valley Tramway - Standard River Bridge

See here     https://7mmnga.org.uk/7mmNarrowGaugeSalesLtd/publications/publication_details.php?ref=NLE09

Mike 

Thanks for the information, I ordered a copy yesterday

• Thanks 1