7mm and larger Modelling Down Under - Layouts & Modelling projects

SMR CHRIS

I like seeing those pictures of Australian railway models.I like those eclectic parrots as well.

Hi Jane

Thanks for the nice comments.

I have to say you have a Huge layout not just big but the lenght of run is longer than a lot of my models will probably cover in a lifetime on a point to point

Just notice you have a HO eureka AD60 Garret for your layout.

Do you have any Australian rolling stock as well.

I did model in HO NSWGR for many years.

But recently Sold my big( it's out and back run was 70 foot ) HO layout as could no longer work on it effectively after my spinal injury it was to wide and also very heavy

I still have most of my rolling stock and locos all though did sell a few double ups to purchase some O Scale models.

The Eclectus Parrots are actualy great fun.

They are like little people at least that's what they think about the level of a there year old with speech etc.

And recognition of words and meanings.

Example Wally the green one when told recently we were taking him to the Vet said "I don't want too"

They are also a big hit at train shows.

Most won't remember my name but they remember the parrots.

Model railway some people take it all to seriously and miss the enjoyment side whilst they count rivets on other people models but never build any of there own.

I don't count the rivet's, I just like to enjoy the hobby as you see by my photos.

But do every now and then be serious and enter models in comps that are to winning standards.

However I never don't look at a someone's model that is at train set style and dismiss, it as they are getting as much enjoyment out of their little empire as I get from being silly and making the brakes work on O scale wagons that never get used again once on the layout.

Enjoy the hobby in any way you choose.

Chris

• Like 2

All set up at the 2015 Sydney Model Train Exhibition at Liverpool NSW Australia.

Also unveiling the Name of the "New Railway". Moonan Flat.

It's a real place Near the Barrington Tops in the upper hunter Valley.

However the the cross country railway, never made it to the real Moonan Flat

The New Curtin Valance looks great thanks to my wife Shelley who came up with a neet and easy way install using Eyelets and small hooks, no-more pins or week Velcro that keeps comming away from the layout

post-14985-0-37433900-1443791376.jpeg

Exhibition details for anyone Near to Sydney

post-14985-0-30502600-1443791453_thumb.jpeg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 3

looks good.

The Folkestone MRC show is nearer.  I'll go to that!

best

Simon

Thanks Simon

Yes Simon, it is just a little bit further down the road to the Airport 14hours flying and a taxi ride you'll just make it for the Monday lucky it's a 3 day show.

Great first day

At times it was hard to move in the venue.

post-14985-0-03934700-1443873544.jpeg

Lots of comments re the Little layout

May be changing some people's perception of Australian O Scale modelling little by little as was getting comments like "I could get that in the garage" and one mans wife said why don't you do something like this dear it would fit in nicely in the study.

So I guess you could say have had some success with the concept of a small Australian O scale layout.

The next thing that got people's attention was the rotating traverser that spins so effortlessly and is some thing not often considered in Australia.

• Like 4

Well, Chris, it looks good.

I went to Folkestone - good show as usual, but less 7mm than I would have liked - sorry I don't have any pix - some really lovely layouts, bought/spent more than I planned to, but all good (will post something about the laser cut signal box on PD) but due to problems at at the Tunnel, operation Stack was in force which means that south eastern Kent grinds to a halt. This has apparently hit the show attendance somewhat.

I have quite a bit of sympathy for the refugees (they aren't discussing model railways after all) and I have some sympathy for the railway staff too, but the government needs to get its collective ass in gear and sort out a response that doesn't leave us unable to use our local roads & motorway.

Yours,

Fed up of Kent

Good work Chris, shows that O gauge is possible in a small area if you are prepared to forego a loop of track.

Layouts going back to Trainsville and now with Arakoola can put potential convertees off due to their sheer size.

regards

Bob

Well, Chris, it looks good.

I went to Folkestone - good show as usual, but less 7mm than I would have liked - sorry I don't have any pix - some really lovely layouts, bought/spent more than I planned to, but all good (will post something about the laser cut signal box on PD) but due to problems at at the Tunnel, operation Stack was in force which means that south eastern Kent grinds to a halt. This has apparently hit the show attendance somewhat.

I have quite a bit of sympathy for the refugees (they aren't discussing model railways after all) and I have some sympathy for the railway staff too, but the government needs to get its collective ass in gear and sort out a response that doesn't leave us unable to use our local roads & motorway.

Yours,

Fed up of Kent

Hi Simon may be time to become a Refugee yourself to Australia

Just back at the hotel and what is on the TV but a program on the Channel Tunnel and how they run it from the control system.

Sunday was a little bit quiet to start with mostly family day today but I was flat out with questions from the modelers that were at the show.

Found a little glitch in the railway with the sector plate, It uses a tam valley duel ducer as a auto reverse and discovered that it dosn't hold a high current draw well ie too many engines "4"and one with a older motor would over drive the unit.

So a second unit was put in so each rail is powered by the a ducer this has halved the load on each and seems to work.

Thanks to Garry at MRC the gave me a ducer to to try the theory.

Good work Chris, shows that O gauge is possible in a small area if you are prepared to forego a loop of track.

Layouts going back to Trainsville and now with Arakoola can put potential convertees off due to their sheer size.

regards

Bob

Thanks Bob for the nice comments

The put off syndrome of the Huge layouts, that's the reason that I decided to build this Little layout to demonstrate that you can do it and still enjoy the scale I watched Terry who came along to help on Saturday shunt some complex moves with a hook equiped loco and only 2 link equiped wagons to shuffle the train to get it all in the right spots with only 2points and the sector like a 3 way point and the station turn table in one it is good fun

Thinking, I will make up a fictional signalling Track plan and mount on the front of the layout, so the operators can use the sector plate as a siding, Turn Table, or runaround and it can be explained to the viewers what you are doing.

I'm surprised by the number of comments that the little O scale railway has attracted at its showing as a demonstration layout.

Also the name Moonan Flat has intrigued people some thinking that it is a real station.

Moonan Flat, it is a real location just no railway their. It's on the edge of the Barrington Top one of the few places that gets snow on the east coast of Australia see this post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82987-the-hazards-of-layout-building-in-australia/?p=1958179

One more day to go then the pack up and long trip home with the "long weekend" traffic, O joy

• Like 1

I just got home from a great day out helping with the operation of Moonan Flat.  It is an enjoyable layout to operate and I can see that a OO version would be just about right for my passenger stock that currently sits in boxes only to be used on other folks layouts (Damn! That's another layout idea that will start to ferment in the back of my mind now).  Full marks to Chris for designing and creating such a good layout.

It was also good to catch up with Gary (Gazman) and to meet Martin (Hartleymartin).

Ian

• Like 1

I just got home from a great day out helping with the operation of Moonan Flat.  It is an enjoyable layout to operate and I can see that a OO version would be just about right for my passenger stock that currently sits in boxes only to be used on other folks layouts (Damn! That's another layout idea that will start to ferment in the back of my mind now).  Full marks to Chris for designing and creating such a good layout.

It was also good to catch up with Gary (Gazman) and to meet Martin (Hartleymartin).

Ian

Thanks to Ian for all his help today with Running the layout and the pack up at the end of the day with my wife Shelley we got it all done in the Heat of the first of the Hot days this season 39'c I need the help as with the Spinal fusion i have a weight limit that I am allowed to lift.

Also thanks to Martin Hartley who came along and gave some time to cover lunch breaks.

Whilst on the lunch subject when Marty and I went to lunch, we had Roast Chicken with roast potatoes, peas, gravy plus a soft bread roll and a nice selection of Deserts.

Have to say the catering today was spot on.

We also had the Two Parrots seen in some of the build photo's "Wally and Moto" at the show today they were a big hit with the family's and other modellers.

One issue found with the 39'c Heat was some more expansion of the track on the sector plate I will change the track set up with some brakes in the rail and put in some loose fish plates and put jumper wires around for the power continuity.

Also at the show was Gary (Gazaman) who was busy all day with his little OO layout Linden Ford Gary lets the little people operate his layout. Some good some not so good at it. Gary has lots of patience. I must say.

RM web member were also well represented with several from the Down under modelers at the show nice to meet some of you, a pre Apologies, sorry if I don't recognise every one next time I see you, as I was full of pain medication to get through the day

I even forgot to Take any new photos of the layout.

So here are some taken by Friend Tim of the layout

post-14985-0-58651000-1444044545_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-70008700-1444044638_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-82409700-1444044774_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-09149900-1444044825_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-77001000-1444044866_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

Good to meet you both too. For some reason I had it in my mind that you both lived in Queensland. I didn't realise that you were only 2 hrs north of Sydney! I'll have to drop by on a weekend or a layout running evening some time.

No problem Martin your welcome to come up and have a session.

Edit even if you want to come up on a week day when you are free from the organ playing duties/gigs.

Edited by SMR CHRIS

A few photos that I took on my smart-alecky-phone:

12108937_10153546572051251_7556468823213

12141733_10153546572436251_4872767932613

12109021_10153546572646251_5015803427446

12112281_10153546572696251_5539548338769

Thanks Martin.

Nice photos

Over the next few months I will add a lot more scenic detail plus a photo back scene a timber part relief bridge over the entry to the station.

A new build water tank and some fencing along the line side and new static grass along the front as even with keep off the grass signs people just have to touch it, then rub it resulting in Flat grass the station needs some weeds and seats etc little People, crates of produce mail sacks etc.

Also a must do is make a few station signs

So I can justify the RU wheat trucks I will have to make a small grain auger to load the RU's

At the show I got some bolt details by Grandit line, these I will use on the bridge that will hide the entry to the Railway plus the water tank stand.

Also got some loads for some of the wagons. It always cost me money when I go to the RailCar stand esp the little people to populate the railway.

The rolling stock for the railway will have to be selected next time I exhibit , this time I just grabbed a box of rolling stock and ended up with the full length guards van, so next time I will make up a box of specific stock, as also ended up with only 2 transition link fitted wagons to use need a few more and need the guards van to have transition links.

All of the above wasn't an issue over the weekend as the layout was displayed as part of a demonstration Stand to promote Aus7 modellers group and was intended to be a wok in progress to inspire modellers that any one can can model in O scale in a space that most would consider a for a OO layout only.

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 1

I forgot to check with Glenn about the availability of the HG kits which are due out before the end of the year. I know that he's been quite busy with the 36 class project!

That's Ok so did I and Glenn and I had a good chat on Sunday but completely forgot about the HG a new HG would be perfect for Moonan Flat.

Next time you bring the layout out, I'll have to loan you my SHG. I've decided to redo the bufferbeams properly with screw-link drawgear and sprung buffers. At the moment there are plain hooks with no attached links and dummy buffers.

I got about 80% through scratch-bashing two HGs. These will probably be re-done as ways and works vehicles in due course. Hopefully a number of the underframe parts from the HG kit will be available as separate parts.

Edited by hartleymartin

Next time you bring the layout out, I'll have to loan you my SHG. I've decided to redo the bufferbeams properly with screw-link drawgear and sprung buffers. At the moment there are plain hooks with no attached links and dummy buffers.

I got about 80% through scratch-bashing two HGs. These will probably be re-done as ways and works vehicles in due course. Hopefully a number of the underframe parts from the HG kit will be available as separate parts.

Thanks Martin

Your welcome to run anything on the layout.

Better still have you got inspire to start something now. Along the Garage wall?

Re the guards vans

I have do have my BHG van I should have taken it to the show but it only has link coupler's so next time will take it and lots more trucks with transition coupler's.

I didn't end up redoing the Buffer beams but I do have a set of the Waratah replacement buffer beams so should probably retro fit it and do the same as you have with the screw coupler's, I also didn't put Autos on it as I put the Turton buffers on orignaly if it was to have Autos would need the Cammel buffers. Will have to get some more of them from Waratah.

I Also have a SHG that came from Ron's collection but it is not correct needs correct bogies and as you noticed once, the roof vents are in the wrong place.

I think I will just leave it be and get some HG's when Glenn gets the kits

The HG's will be more suited to the size of the model railway you would also get another wagon in the train length, hopefully the kit ßwill be out before the next exhibition.

This is a HG guards van for the non NSWGR followers

post-14985-0-83868400-1444057098_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

Thanks Martin

Your welcome to run anything on the layout.

Better still have you got inspire to start something now. Along the Garage wall?

Re the guards vans

I have do have my BHG van I should have taken it to the show but it only has link coupler's so next time will take it and lots more trucks with transition coupler's.

I didn't end up redoing the Buffer beams but I do have a set of the Waratah replacement buffer beams so should probably retro fit it and do the same as you have with the screw coupler's, I also didn't put Autos on it as I put the Turton buffers on orignaly if it was to have Autos would need the Cammel buffers. Will have to get some more of them from Waratah.

I Also have a SHG that came from Ron's collection but it is not correct needs correct bogies and as you noticed once, the roof vents are in the wrong place.

I think I will just leave it be and get some HG's when Glenn gets the kits

The HG's will be more suited to the size of the model railway you would also get another wagon in the train length, hopefully the kit ßwill be out before the next exhibition.

This is a HG guards van for the non NSWGR followers

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Love the guard's hat.

There were four major variations in the HG. 3 variations had to do with the number of passenger compartments there were. Most had 1 compartment, a few had two, and a couple had the passenger compartment removed completely. The fourth variation was whether or not the 1 compartment type also had a window in the goods area or not.

It was often said that the only thing "standard" about the NSWGR was the gauge.

Edited by hartleymartin

It was often said that the only thing "standard" about the NSWGR was the gauge.

Your right Marty in doing research of the AD60 Garrets their isn't a standard everything is different even on the same number loco.

In one case over a 2 month period the same loco had several different bunker and water tank power units fitted the numbers on the tank and bunker power units changed positions only the boiler section seemed to stay the same.

Similar situation with passanger cars from photos found looks like no 2 TAM's were the same. With umpteen under frame variations etc.

And let's not get started on the NSWGR Standard Goods loco's only thing standards was they were 2-8-0's