7mm and larger Modelling Down Under - Layouts & Modelling projects

SMR CHRIS

• 3 weeks later...

A long wait almost over.

A few years ago now I ordered a RTR O scale model from Precision Scale Models down here in Oz a similar RTR quality to fine scale brass models or lion heart brass models sold in the UK.

Well after Waiting many years, I received a call from the manufacture to let me know that the models will finally be delivered this coming weekend at a O scale forum so I am looking forward to the next weekend for more reasons than just going to the Forum as this fabled model of Australia's C38 class will be hand delivered buy PSM.

The class leader 3801 is the Australian equivalent of "Flying Scotsman", For being recognised as the big Green Engine.

Last year I was trusted with a pair of the company's preproduction models to display on the Aus7 modelers stand at a exhibition in Oct 2014 and was expecting they would be delivered by Christmas 2014.

so finally it will be a early christmas present for 2015, It was orignaly going to be my Christmas present back in 2011.

2 photos of preproduction models, hopefully I will be able to post some photos of my 3805 soon.

post-14985-0-88376300-1445769713_thumb.jpeg

The ones I had last year streamlined 3801 and non streamlined 3813.

post-14985-0-74101100-1445771234_thumb.jpegpost-14985-0-69441500-1445772610.jpegpost-14985-0-85161700-1445772665.jpeg

• Like 7

One day in the future I will probably cash in my existing O gauge to buy such a brass offering Chris.

Either 3813 or 3830.

It can sit in a glass case in the lounge room or perhaps by then my room in the nursing home. :>)

Of course a similar quality offering in gauge one that did not require my having to sell the house might be even more tempting.

regards

Bob

One day in the future I will probably cash in my existing O gauge to buy such a brass offering Chris.

Either 3813 or 3830.

It can sit in a glass case in the lounge room or perhaps by then my room in the nursing home. :>)

Of course a similar quality offering in gauge one that did not require my having to sell the house might be even more tempting.

regards

Bob

Hi Bob

yes it was a bit steep price wise but when I was working it didn't seem so bad that was a while ago been 3 years without real income (spinal Injury) and I do understand where your coming from at the moment. I did however do big hours at work so looked at these items as my rewards back then.

I am very tempted by a certain 1/32 garden gauge model of the C38 but at the moment have to look and admire until things get sorted out (re injury).

Like with so many models there are now 2 company's doing a 1/32 C38

My guess is that this one below will be a real 1/32 fine scale model lots of options and on past models top notch. http://www.argyleloco.com.au/index.html

post-14985-0-11024500-1445893729_thumb.jpeg

The other one will be maybe a good runner but not quite the scale fidelity of the Argyle one.

Photo of the pre production one from Middlewoodrailway http://www.mwbrailway.com.au/nswgr-c38

Only !!! $4999 plus $350 if you want radio control set up,

post-14985-0-72081800-1445894207.jpeg

• Like 2

I'll have to save up my pennies Chris. Maybe they can offer a discount for an unpowered version... big grin  :>)

regards

Bob

Hi Bob

Re the 1/32 C38

I actually sat down and read the spec sheet and saw this.

Note the last line

DO display only.

post-14985-0-59709600-1446071026_thumb.jpeg

Also speaking to Greg (Gregs Model Emporium)

He has available now 1/32 end veranda cars and a bob car set

Also lots of wagon kits photos on his site, No images on his site of the FO or BOB sets but I have seen the models and they look nice.

http://www.gregsmodelemporium.com.au/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13_30

Now very tempted.

Hopefully will have an out doors area suitable when we move hopefuly this will be next year.

Hi Chris, I didn't notice the unmotorised version in the ad..thanks,  I could loose a lot of sleep :>)

I would be a little careful with having urethane out in the sun. My experience with several models including some of Greg's G1 offerings has been to find them sagging and bending in the heat. I repaired my Fox FO set after it became a string of bananas in less than 30C heat and Ernie offered to buy it off me as his layout is under cover. Years later I realised why my urethane HO 49 warped... I was as usual drying it on the window sill.

regards

Bob Comerford

Fingers Crossed this is the day that a bright Green 3805 & Lined Black 3820 will arrive to join the stable.

Whilst I had some time yesterday I did some more work on a Little 2-6-0 tender loco #2531 that entered the workshop a while ago for a DCC conversion new pickups and service with some extra details being added as it goes through the shop.

It made its return to the rails today for some trials of the new Steaming system by TCS WOW sound.

A 18mm speaker and enclosure is mounted between the frames just behind the first Axle with the speaker pointing down to the track

This seams to work really well the sound Is crisp and loud.

Not quite as good bass as the big speakers I use in the larger locos mounted in the boilers but the speaker is what is sold as hi bass by sound traxx for HO/OO but it dose sound good as the sounds seam to come from the right location.

Quick photo of the little 25class 2-6-0

post-14985-0-50010000-1446214610.jpeg

Bob re the 1/32 scale the cars Greg has FO etc are available in wood as well as the plastic all laser cut.

Shouldn't think about it I'm getting tempted by another big "Green monster" that I can't really afford.

And Martin yes to the electric motor, battery on board with wireless DCC for me, if I was going to get one.

• Like 2

Unfortunately no good news Re the Long awaited big green engine 3805 and its stable mate red lined black Unstreemlined, 3820.

I was hoping to have up and running tonight with a decoder waiting pre set up ready to go in but after picking it up at the Aus7 forum in Sydney today a quick inspection of the models was started but had to be stopped due to a number of modellers who hadn't orderd there own wanting to Handel the models just about had it taken from my hand as I was unpacking.

So the inspection was interrupted on arriving home unpack and sit the loco on the track to find 3805 leans due to the horn blocks being incorrectly assembled damaging the springs on one side a plus few other iregularitys not seen at the venue and 3820 is a non runner due to an issue so after contact with the manufacture and long story short the pair are going to be picked up by the manufacture, not sure what he plans on doing yet but hopefully won't be too long as have been waiting a very long time for these.

I was hoping for some nice enjoyment running the new loco as over the past few weeks haven't had much go right with my Spinal injury beening very pain full of late and My insurance co's bodgy builders now repairing my houses storm damage from 6 months ago I ended up with more water leeks than before the repairs started.

So!!!! Not sure why, but I seem to have had more than my fair share of dud very expensive premium models success rate is 1 in 10 so far. Not good !!

Any way some quick snaps so you know what they look like.even if they don't run

post-14985-0-35022200-1446297211.jpeg

post-14985-0-27630900-1446297260.jpeg

post-14985-0-00448000-1446297295.jpeg

Edit

PS my wife Just booked us a couple of nights away up north starting Monday for some stress relief, she must have seen the steam comming out of me instead of the loco as to say, I was not impressed would be an understatement.

Edited by SMR CHRIS

You seem to be having a bad run Chris, hope the short holiday helps.

The shot of 3820 is very inspirational.

There has been a history of large 7mm locos arriving with damaged running gear. I hope the manufacturers can find a way to take the body weight off the mechanisms when in transport. Those containers get some rough handling at times.

regards

Bob

The history of 7mm RTR in Australia has largely been that models arrive with damage due to poor design of packaging, rough handling and often have problems with the mechanism. They look good, but don't run as well as though should. When you think about the sheer number of $$$ that one has to part with to get them, it is a real frustration.

I hate that, when you've been waiting a long time for something, & it turns out to be crap!

You seem to be having a bad run Chris, hope the short holiday helps.

The shot of 3820 is very inspirational.

There has been a history of large 7mm locos arriving with damaged running gear. I hope the manufacturers can find a way to take the body weight off the mechanisms when in transport. Those containers get some rough handling at times.

regards

Bob

The history of 7mm RTR in Australia has largely been, They look good, but don't run as well as though should. When you think about the sheer number of $$$ that one has to part with to get them, it is a real frustration.

Oops found the real problempost-14985-0-99524000-1446382238.jpeg

As per the photo build number 13 was cursed from the start.

It looks like my RTR NSWGR has always been cursed may be telling me some thing.

Those 1/32 scale locos are looking good but the wife just reminded me the C38 loco in 1/32 weighs more than I'm aloud to lift. Esp after when Shelley weighed one of my pelican safe case that I use for my O scale locos and found it was over my weight limit so I'm not aloud to carry it now and have a trolly for them don't think I'm going to get away with it the 1/32 unless it's stays on the track.

Still very tempting.

post-14985-0-36793300-1446382985_thumb.jpeg

If you read Tender into Tank, the driver had 1301, 1307 and 1313 regularly on that line. When it came to the Hume Highway crossing he would only slow down on 1301 or 1307, but would always come to a complete stop before the highway on 1313 - apparently that loco had the most accidents out of any he had driven.

• Like 1

More testing of the 25 class tonight

Had a bit if time this afternoon and sorted out the tender to loco coupling.

I like to have the tenders close coupled with a sprung coupling so it can negotiate corners.

So using some Phosphor Bronze wire and 1/2 a Slaters 3 link Spring.

The tender is now close coupled with a shaped styrene block in between as a spacer / buffing plate between the two.

I also added pickups to all the tender wheels and a connector fron the loco.to tender.

Now to start adding the some new lost wax cast details.

post-14985-0-22737000-1446810680.jpeg

Finally a photo of the s truck converted to a Shunters truck.

With the shunter taking a breather and sitting in the door area.

post-14985-0-13973000-1446810797.jpeg

post-14985-0-95450900-1446811069.jpeg

post-14985-0-56519600-1446811738.jpeg

• Like 4

Quick video of the 25 class shunting on Moonan Flat. 2531 is fitted with a TCS WOW sound decoder

Well only looks like it is shunting as this is the only section of the railway set up, so can only make it look like It was shunting as this section is only 4foot long only if the train keeps going its will be a quick trip to the floor.

Will do a bit of decoder tuning and it should be a nice loco to use on the little ralway.

See link below enjoy

• Like 3

Is the 25 class a scratch-build or one of Ron Fox's old products?

Hi Martin

The 25 is a 50/50 fox parts and scratch build.

Fox tender

Fox castings for detail bits

Then brass and strip plastic

Boiler is PVC pipe section and with Col Sheperd brass dome and chimney

More new details from Oaust are also being retro fitted as I go. Like head light, smokebox dart back head details etc.

When Peter owned "Oaust kits" I would say can I have lost wax sprew # 10 from kit " Xyz" and it would turn up in the mail a few days later.

Haven't tried Glenn with that sort of request yet but will need some parts soon so we will see how I go.

Hi Martin

The boilers are a bit different

Not a lot in it some photos for comparison below

Early version part built, scratch build orignal belpare boiler will have to get back to finish this one day discovered it had a quartering issue with the center Axl set, it has a full crank shaft for inside motion (1/4ing now fixed) but will get back to eventually.

Finished model a later version is fox kit by Ron Fox.

Not the greates angles hard to do get a good side by side.

Hope these help,

post-14985-0-88518400-1446901344.jpegpost-14985-0-34341000-1446901371.jpeg

post-14985-0-66034000-1446901398.jpegpost-14985-0-81205600-1446901419.jpegpost-14985-0-71291700-1446901438.jpeg

• Like 4

I've done some comparing photos and the preview versions of the Greg Edwards data sheets. I reckon that they are close enough that people wouldn't notice if I just reused the castings from the Z19 kit. Might even be able to use some of the wheel splasher castings. Just have to get around fabricating the cross-head, etc for the outside cylinders.

That's a nice job so far on the 19 class Chris.

Hopefully the supply of parts will not dry up with change of ownership. Col can probably still supply the NSWGR standard dome, chimney and buffers in brass as an alternative. I have a set for my intended AMRA 3-rail 24 or 25 class, just waiting to see if Col can still supply the wheels.

The 19 has never been high on my list, perhaps it comes from helping so many get their ProType ones to run. :>)

regards

Bob

Honestly, I don't know how people manage to make those small-boilered tender locomotives in HO scale. Often there isn't a heck of a lot of room in O gauge with motors and gearboxes, let alone HO! I've noted that a number of models now have the motor in the tender, using a drive-shafter through the firebox door into the gearbox.

Honestly, I don't know how people manage to make those small-boilered tender locomotives in HO scale. Often there isn't a heck of a lot of room in O gauge with motors and gearboxes, let alone HO! I've noted that a number of models now have the motor in the tender, using a drive-shafter through the firebox door into the gearbox.

Bob and Martin I have a HO pro-type 19 with a 6 wheel tender that I used exclusively for shunting coal wagons up the Coalstage on my HO layout, ( "Nevermine" now sold) and it was a nice runner with great traction, but the motor was in the tender wth an unstylish drive between the tender and loco. I was a school boy when I built this it was a second hand kit then. So age of the kit ?? Bob may remember when they were released suspect Late 70's or early 80's

Pro-type HO 19 on my old layout on the lead to the elevated Coal Stage.

post-14985-0-44688100-1446980731_thumb.jpeg

Re The 0 scale 19's, a while ago the motors were a little large and did take up a lot of room I have seen a 19 with a old style motor in the tender as well on the AMRA 3 rail layout

I am thinking with the second Loco #1901 that I will get a nice small motor and gear box from the UK and have it hidden in the fire box area as this loco will have inside pistons and valve gear have some of the parts cut out just need to spend some time and do some work on it but I will probably wait until I get a motor.

Any way I have about 100 other projects on the go so I won't get board at any stage wondering what I can do modelling wise.

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 2