7mm and larger Modelling Down Under - Layouts & Modelling projects

SMR CHRIS

We all celebrated how "easy" it was to install DCC in O scale locomotives, until we started putting in speakers, sound-chips and then the newest feature, the "stay-alive" or "keep-alive" capacitors to help deal with power interruptions. I am now much more supportive of using pewter/white-metal castings for body components to give locomotives a bit of extra weight for adhesion.

We all celebrated how "easy" it was to install DCC in O scale locomotives, until we started putting in speakers, sound-chips and then the newest feature, the "stay-alive" or "keep-alive" capacitors to help deal with power interruptions. I am now much more supportive of using pewter/white-metal castings for body components to give locomotives a bit of extra weight for adhesion.

Nothing too hard in fitting the DCC Marty as even in most of the small locos, you don't have big decoders as the current draws isn't high enough to worry, mostly HO size motors anyway the bigger speakers are somthing we choose to use because as a rule the bigger the speaker the better quality of the lower tone sounds that can be reproduced even the small locos you can often fit a reasonable size speakers between the frames that will produce good sound you may remember I fitted a good size speaker in my tower models 0-4-0 saddle tanks cab in what would have been the locos coal space, as this loco has very limited space but I used a full size WOW sound decoder and a KA

The KA's are one of those things I choose to install as I can with the space available but I don't use KA as a fix for pickup issues, more as a back up as with sound locos you don't want glitches due to some minor issue with track eg dead frogs etc , KA's are not an answer for poor pickups.

The weight of the White metal bodied locos dose help with the wheel contact to rail, even if it is just flexing the track that makes the contact better due to the locos weight.

Thanks Chris, always good to know what options are out there.

Watching the exhaust on your 38 suggests to me it is very efficient.

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob yes the loco is quite efficient however I'm going to install a larger blast pipe as I think it is too small when considered against the cyl size and restricts the exhausting of the Cyls it currently has the same size blast pipe as some of the small 0-4-0 live steamers whilst not an issue whilst running light engine, this will change when a load is behind the loco.

Need to find a supplier that has the base fittings so I can make up a new one

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris, have you received a copy of 7th heaven recently?

Bob

Hi Bob yes have the latest issue went out mid December it has a 45class on the front cover.

Sorry for the slow reply been busy with other no Railway things just getting back into it.

Trust you had a great Christmas and wishing you a Happy new year.

What’s new down here a DJH 59 kit is in the waiting for a bit of work bench space as soon as I get the HCX I’ve been working on painted I’ll start on the 59class

post-14985-0-50546200-1514696866_thumb.jpeg

I also took Moonan Flats down to the model O kits open day

post-14985-0-96898500-1514696946_thumb.jpeg

And have spent a fair bit of time out in the garden running trains on friend layouts

Livesteam 3801 1/32 Scale

post-14985-0-27398900-1514697046_thumb.jpeg

Electric 2-6-6-2 logging loco 1/20.3 Scale

post-14985-0-69577100-1514697160_thumb.jpeg

Some video from one of the running days.

https://youtu.be/jQAaqVMnuoQ

• Like 5

Thanks Chris, I realised that an answer might be a while coming at this time of year. After I posted I noticed I had not received two issues. Turns out I had not received notice of my renewal, all fixed now.

Hope you had a good time at the ModelO Kits day.

HCX looks to be coming along well.

That looks to be a well made G1 layout your friend is building.

Not been much time for modelling here at the moment, what with visitors and the grass growing so fast here, the flying field and at the transmitter site I am doing volunteer work at, the lawnmower and whipper snipper will be worn out like me soon :>)

Happy new year

cheers

Bob

Thanks Chris, I realised that an answer might be a while coming at this time of year. After I posted I noticed I had not received two issues. Turns out I had not received notice of my renewal, all fixed now.

Hope you had a good time at the ModelO Kits day.

HCX looks to be coming along well.

That looks to be a well made G1 layout your friend is building.

Not been much time for modelling here at the moment, what with visitors and the grass growing so fast here, the flying field and at the transmitter site I am doing volunteer work at, the lawnmower and whipper snipper will be worn out like me soon :>)

Happy new year

cheers

Bob

Good to know you have it sorted the Aus7 and 7th Heaven I’m now the secretary of Aus7 however I don’t yet have a current membership list and there isn’t even a old list within the secretary’s file that I received willl have to rectify that ASAP.

The modelOkit day was good I also got to run my PSM C38 around Arakoola on a set of Rcars it performed well.

The HCX has been a bit of a PITA as part way through the kit build I started to research what car Number for details only to find it doesn’t match any HCX and is a hybrid of all the cars that the NSWGR converted but doesn’t match a specific car.

by the time I discovered this it was too late to do further mods to make it closer to a real HCX really needed at least 15mm taking out of the length between the Guards door and the luggage door to Get closer to the majority of the conversions. Morel of the story, check prototype first then start on the kit build I had alreay had to shorten one side as it was too long and didn’t match the other as supplied.

Re the G 1 I’m very lucky that several guys have very nice Garden railways around the hunter region and a couple of others are under construction I have Joined a Group called GRITH “Garden Railways In The Hunter” and we Run most Wednesday’s

I can relate with the lack of time and too many activities esp at this time of year but it keeps your mind active and that’s a good thing.

For me Im having a recovery day and will be back at it in a few days.

Edited by SMR CHRIS

Just discovered this thread. Very nice work, good to see someone modelling Newcastle. Just a shame that the real thing's closed, STUPID GOVERNMENT!

Hi DDI

Thanks for the kind words

Just had a look at your layout thread really like that idea have built similar in the past.

Really liking your Graphic renderings nice work there.

Will follow along now.

• RMweb Premium

Just discovered this thread. Very nice work, good to see someone modelling Newcastle. Just a shame that the real thing's closed, STUPID GOVERNMENT!

Chris isn't the only person modelling Newcastle - Ross Balderson is modelling Newcastle circa 1890 in N and making a marvellous job of it. If you've seen his model of Central then you'll know what to expect! Shipping, steam trams etc.

Looking forward to seeing Chris's work again, I also totally agree regarding stupid government decisions.

Regards

Michael

Edited by 2mm Dabbler
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

OK so it’s been a while since an update.

Been way too much going on and my own modelling time has been limited due to other people’s models filling my work bench.

Moonan Flats O scale layout is booked for another exhibition in May at a local Rail museum Richmond Vale Railway

post-14985-0-59586700-1521285575_thumb.jpeg

In between these projects of rebuilding models and decoder installs I’ve had a little time each Wednesday to go and run trains in the Great out doors both RC live steam and RC electric (Steam)

Live Steam my NSWGR C38 and a friends Flying Scotsman 4472

post-14985-0-47815000-1521284312_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-17244700-1521284239_thumb.jpeg

Fn3 1:20.3 Scale Rio Grande C19 conversion to RC with Battery power supply conversion.

post-14985-0-79907600-1521284407_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-22250700-1521284499_thumb.jpeg

Recent Rio Grande Running day.

post-14985-0-12381400-1521284162_thumb.jpeg

A little poultry delivery on the back of the Guards van

post-14985-0-74225000-1521284201_thumb.jpeg

My Rio Grande Jackson & Sharp coaches

post-14985-0-17823600-1521284975_thumb.jpeg

You tube video of the last Running day with lots of models running with a general Narrow Gauge theme

I like this photo really gives the scale Size variation both models are of Car No320 small one is HOn3 big one Fn3

post-14985-0-49719400-1521285229_thumb.jpeg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 6

Hi Chris, well you have been busy with the bigger stuff it seems. Very lucky to have such a layout to make use of close by.

I have been to Richmond Vale once or twice when I worked at Muswellbrook. Nice fun day out. One of my former club members (and a mate) exhibits his HO layout there each year.

The live steam bug seems to have bit me again just recently but this time it will be in 7mm if I ever get around to building one.

cheers

Bob

• Like 1

Hi Bob thanks and yes, I’m very lucky to have several layouts within an hours drive and a great group of guys that just love running trains.

Have visited RVR over the last month and they are doing it tough with a lot of damage from the recent bush fire.

So when asked if I’d exhibit Moonan Flats was happy to help out.

The live steam is quite addictive I’ve been around Live steam since I was a kid and it’s hard to stay way from since having my back rebuilt with carbon fibre and titanium parts, my 5” Gauge Live Steam Hunslet is bit heavy to work with.

Cosmetically restored ROD at RVR

post-14985-0-23912700-1521342414_thumb.jpeg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 7

Good to see one of the three ROD survivors getting some love.

The other two seem stuck in a time warp with nothing done in 25 years except more and more black goop slapped on.

I swear I stood in the same spot in the late 80's and only the tragic extent of decay has changed.

This was 5 weeks ago.

post-1733-0-33465900-1521412514_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

LaScala. Yes it is a shame that the two ROD’s in the best condition are just waisting away, I don’t think they have had any extra black goo since they arrived at that location.

It’s a form of historical negligence going on if it Was a historical building that wasn’t railway related the individual who’s name is on the deed of title would be asked to explain the situation.

The funny thing about my visits to the site almost 10 years apart was that Keith wandered down and met me at the fence with his dog wandering beside him, and has first words were on both occasions were “It won’t be long and we will be opening the museum”

On the second occasion I pointed out he had said the same thing ten years earlier standing at the same location, and the only thing that had changed was his dog.

Very sad that he keeps using the donated money to get more items but and can’t maintain what they already have the level of deterioration of a lot of the collection is now past the saving stage esp a good percentage of the wooden bodied rolling stock that has been slowly converted back into the earth from which it originally came. Sad sad sad

Edited by SMR CHRIS

Keith drove down to challenge me and was in an unpleasant combative mood but alas no dog!

Reason enough not to become a supporter anytime soon and that's before taking the unforgiveable tragedy of Dorrigo into account.

The only thing that will change things is natural ageing taking its course, but will anything be left to save?

Probably the worst case of hoarding you can imagine, worse than even these who only upset their families and neighbours

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-hoarders-episodes/reference?utm_expid=16418821-388.8yjUEguUSkGHvlaagyulMg.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

post-1733-0-96921800-1522044740_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Some years ago they did say that a large shed would be going up. I would be much happier if they did have the shed and had shunted the more delicate items under cover.

I don't want to get onto the whole bashing Dorrigo thing. To be fair, they have done better in open air storage than other places were doing, but the collection has reached a size that raises the question about how it is to be managed properly.

Some years ago they did say that a large shed would be going up. I would be much happier if they did have the shed and had shunted the more delicate items under cover.

I don't want to get onto the whole bashing Dorrigo thing. To be fair, they have done better in open air storage than other places were doing, but the collection has reached a size that raises the question about how it is to be managed properly.

Yes the big under cover Shed was part of the deal, State Heritage, I think it was called at the time when agreeing to Dorrigo being able to buy the SMR 10 Class locos from Rothbury Riot that was a few years ago and there is still no evidence of the Shed

And a just recently they purchased the 49 Class from 3801 Ltd and had it transported north by rail with SSR possibly to Tamworth where they have other items stored.

Really why do they need another diesel that they can’t run anyway, the money could have built a very good size shed.

They should have never moved from the Rhonda Site it had easy access to the main line, a large population close by and could have run tour trains based out of there.

Rhonda Colliery was actually not a great site. The residual coal dust in the area became slightly acidic in the rain and would have hastened the demise of everything metal.

It was the perfect site to run a railway preservation out of, it just needed the site cleaning up and the rehabilitation as required by the mining co’s after they close down.

Yes as it was when the trains were there it was a rabbit holed yard and it was still a coal yard as the mine had finished, but when the site was “site rehabilitated” as it is now, it’s like a great big Green field I go past it regularly and you wouldn’t know it was ever a Coal mine.

Area ringed in red line is the site, the rail line marks in Blue came in across the road at the top and finished on a curve at the back of the colliery.

post-14985-0-43905800-1522232934_thumb.jpeg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 2

Hi Chris,

Please excuse me filling you notifications tab with 'FPH 603 rated your post Like' and 'Craftsmanship/Clever'. I thought I'd have another read through of the thread whilst I have nothing better to do.

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Please excuse me filling you notifications tab with 'FPH 603 rated your post Like' and 'Craftsmanship/Clever'. I thought I'd have another read through of the thread whilst I have nothing better to do.

Wow you must have had a bit of time on your hands the list went off the end of the screen

No problems re the number, hope you had a good read and any question just quote the post so I know what’s what.

• 1 month later...

Been a little while since an update

So what’s going on down under

Firstly my O scale Layout “Moonan Flats“ will be on display at the Richmond Vale Steam railways Annual Steam trains and model railway show 19/20th May

Several G scale models have been converted to Radio control using the Revolution system

http://www.revoelectronics.com

Some models running in friends Garden the Mallet and Rio Grande C19’s are my locos

And today I was at the machine shop machining the cast alloy Chassis and Brass bearing block for a Fox Models O scale NSWGR 59 Class the models sit too high so need several mm removing

in the photo below Chassis in the Mill

post-14985-0-73112700-1525949849_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1