7mm and larger Modelling Down Under - Layouts & Modelling projects

SMR CHRIS

7 hours ago, robertc said:

There was an article on building a pair of 19 class for a G1 layout in AMRM. His mate has a G1 layout under cover outdoors.

Chris can probably tell you more as the layout is in his territory.

cheers

Bob

Which AMRM? I'd be interested to read that article.

On 29/05/2019 at 09:26, robertc said:

April 2016.

Just look on the search function of AMRM for articles by Peter Sansom.

Watch out, G1 is addictive and there are more places to run your trains than G0. :>)

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob and Martin 

Bobs spot on the Gauge 1 journey dose become addictive 

a couple of years ago I had 6 items of Garden Gauge stock thats now heading north of 7 locos and 50items of rolling stock now over NSWGR and RioGrande stock and around me there are more people modelling and actually have railways than the O scale guys 

unfortunately the O scalers mostly are gunners and railways are few and far between just like meet ups 

In my area the garden railway guys are doers, and mostly welcome others to come along and run there trains, plus they meet most  weeks of the year on a round robin between the running railways.

Be warned as bob said it’s very addictive and much more welcoming than o scale and actually slightly cheaper modelling for the actual trains, the layout it self may be the other way round as scenic’s usually involve large scale garden landscaping not just some Ply and. Wood framing.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, hartleymartin said:

Chris and I assisted Gary with running his small O gauge layout at the Epping MRC Show at Rose Hill Gardens today. Here are a couple of shots of my Hudswell Clarke and a couple of my wagons running on the layout, named "River Dee Meats"

62043630_10157002415431251_5704891616305610752_n.jpg.7f98fad1085495376efdc74db788f140.jpg

61985758_10157002415256251_5668444197414240256_n.jpg.53b8cbf76502c65e5c2dfbea67311cbf.jpg

62532133_10157002415341251_7335871241842065408_n.jpg

Great Day with Martin and Gary at the show 

the little Hudswell looking good on the Gary’s River Dee Meats layout 

showing layout a layout in the build stage with that shows what is below the scenic’s 

it was good to have so many people interested in the technique’s Gary has used on the build and asking questions 

the most asked Question was were do I get that Foam you have used for the scenic’ land form ?? Answer “Bunnings” I’m sure Bunnings will have a few less sheets in stock by the end of the weekend. 

• 4 weeks later...

This month is Garden Gauge again 1/32 scale 

Having not been able to set up the O scale railway since its last exhibition the G1 has taken the interest for some Winter Steaming, we had one attempt that had to be postponed due to poor weather however the next available day was a cracker of a Winters day,  perfect for some steam.

I took along 3820 and some NSWGR stock the start of a passenger train and a small Goods 

YouTube link a few minutes of steaming 3820 performed beautifully and clocked near 2 hours of running over the afternoon.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, robertc said:

Looks to be running very smoothly Chris.

cheers

Bob

Thanks Bob 

yes a couple of adjustments getting the valve timing and a few other items that the Chinese factory failed to assemble correctly or solder on to the body and it’s a beautiful performer.

Still photo of it from the last run 

2F3D05A5-7451-4B20-83E3-AF440E141472.jpeg.4d063efa079ceb8c4388d43dd48e7ddb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris, do the builders of these G1 layouts have any standards they work to?

I've seen a lot of problems mentioned about non compatibility between various G scale wheels and pointwork.

It would be good to know before I make something  :>)

cheers

Bob

2 hours ago, robertc said:

I've seen a lot of problems mentioned about non compatibility between various G scale wheels and pointwork.

cheers

Bob

The main thing with Gauge 1 is that there is 10mm scale (1:30.5) and 3/8" scale (1:32). 

You then run into complications with a number of varieties of G scale, which runs on the same gauge of track, but generally represents narrow gauge and uses different wheel/track standards. They generally all use 1-3/4inch, 44.5mm or 45mm gauge

British Gauge 1 has "standard" and "fine" specifications which principally differs in the back-to-back wheel dimension which is 40mm in "standard" and 42mm in "fine" with flange ways being 3mm and 1.75mm respectively.
https://www.g1mra.com/pdf/standard-dimensions-for-gauge1.pdf

The American Large-Scale standard, which covers Gauge 1 and G scale (in its many varieties) varies yet again. The back-to-back is 41.5mm, but the flange ways are the same as British Gauge 1 "standard"

https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/sandrp/pdf/S-3.3 2010.02.24.pdf
https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/sandrp/pdf/S-4.2 2015.01.19.pdf
https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/sandrp/pdf/S-4.3 2010.02.24.pdf

Co-incidentally, 7mm Finescale flange ways are the same as Gauge 1 fine standard, so depending on whether you use 1:30.5 or 1:32 scale, O gauge track is roughly around the 3ft, 3'3", Meter, 3'6" gauge.

As usual, the wonderful thing about standards is that there are always several to choose from!

5 hours ago, robertc said:

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob 

I think Marty has summed it up 

so many wheel standards then the track manufacturers have varied standards as well. 

the sunset valley track that you see on the video with my 38’s is ok but lacks the finesse you would expect for the $$ it costs, I think Sunset have gone for a compromise between fine and standard specifications the switch rails need a bit of finishing off with a file to get them to sit nicely also the check Rails aren’t set for fine or standard wheel flanges they are somewhere in-between.

My 1/32 scale 3801 has scale flanges and I’ve found it has a few issues with most standard RTR points it will climb the crossing V on the standard points as the check Rail are set to cater for the thicker flanges of the standard wheels.

but has no issues on the Gauge 1 fine scale track made by Peco. 

Im looking at using peco fine scale G1 track on my railway for the running lines and then the corse 332 aristocraft/LGB track I already have for the steaming areas or set up sidings as it is very robust and will take a bit of abuse as I’ve noted a few of the guys often set the track on fire with their meths fired locos whilst trying to get them going,  the fine chairs and rail of the peco won’t stand up to that, but the heavy plastic of the aristocraft will take a fair bit of heat before the chairs will let go or the gauging is affected.

My 1:20.3 scale Rio Grande rolling stock has standard scale wheels and I find they are able to negotiate all the different track standards without issues 

they will go through the large radius corse LGB points ok ie a bit clunky but won’t derail and the Sunset Valley they roll through very nicely. 

To sum up the scale wheels work well on scale track but have a few issues on the standard semi corse point settings used by most of the popular Track manufacturers 

The standard spec wheels (Semi scale) are sort of a good compromise and will negotiate most of the various track standards. 

So basically a case of suck it and see then Chris. The Hunter/ central Coast  garden groups haven't agreed on a standard.

I have my gauges from years gone by somewhere ( I hope). I made them to G1MRA standards so probably not much use with this mob. 

Had I not abandoned my G1 NSWGR layout I intended to concrete the steam up track if/when I got a live steamer.

I note the Tenmille track still seems to be more popular than the Peco for some reason in blighty. I'll have to ask why.

However I'm not intending to make a layout this time around, just have a couple of things I can bring to a running session somewhere.

I might make it to Newcastle this year, if Peter Samson is about he might be able to clue me up on what the NSWGR modellers he is associated with are doing.

cheers

Bob

14 hours ago, robertc said:

So basically a case of suck it and see then Chris. The Hunter/ central Coast  garden groups haven't agreed on a standard.

I have my gauges from years gone by somewhere ( I hope). I made them to G1MRA standards so probably not much use with this mob. 

Had I not abandoned my G1 NSWGR layout I intended to concrete the steam up track if/when I got a live steamer.

I note the Tenmille track still seems to be more popular than the Peco for some reason in blighty. I'll have to ask why.

However I'm not intending to make a layout this time around, just have a couple of things I can bring to a running session somewhere.

I might make it to Newcastle this year, if Peter Samson is about he might be able to clue me up on what the NSWGR modellers he is associated with are doing.

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob 

basically yes track from LGB to Sunset Valley and everything in between 

if you made your wheels to the G1MRA standard should be ok 

as I said most of the propriety track standards are a compromise between both standard and fine.

I think the Tenmille is used a lot in UK as you can get in slightly larger profile so a bit more solid, plus point kits for various types. 3 ways,  slips etc. 

I’ve never seen Peter Samson at any Garden Railway meetings in the Valley

I think Peter said he was going to the Newcastle show this year I’m guessing he will have his Sn3  layout. I know Peter did a lot of masters for models for G1 and built quite a few models but don’t know if he still has them or if he is still modelling in G I keep forgetting to ask him when I see him. 

First thing I need to do is get Pete's name right 'Sansom'.   :>)

Should check what I type!

Went to a local club bring and buy sale yesterday but surprise, surprise nothing in O for sale or wanted :>)

HO, N and G were the usual parts of the alphabet on offer.

cheers

Bob

• Like 1

Bob this UK track supplier produces some of the nicest G1 track 

Cliff Barker link    http://www.cliffbarker.me.uk/ worth a look 

yes Peter Sansom,  Auto correct will change it every time to Samson 

yes getting rare rare to find anything of much interesting at any of the B&B’s anymore.

Edited by SMR CHRIS