7mm and larger Modelling Down Under - Layouts & Modelling projects

SMR CHRIS

post-14985-0-15280900-1432044139.jpg

If you want to make that short siding longer, I would remove part of the long siding at the back, turn the goods shed around with it's back against the backdrop, and extend this siding further. You could then make the original goods siding into a dock-siding for end-unloading if you wanted. Just an idea.

Thanks Martin

I Did think of that Martin but decided to do it this way.

I moved the shed down and aligned its platform closer to the rear track so I can have a 1:43 scale model car clearance behind the shed and I am having a concrete hard stand area for unloading of a fuel tanker at the end of the short siding, (under the 20class in the photo) as have a nice Corgi 1:43 fuel tanker that can be placed in the scene as required.

Also going to build a NSWGR precast concrete loading bank representation against the back scene, finding 40cm's really isn't much space when modelling in o scale you have to suggest something's as you just don't have space for them.

The next good reason not to do it was the the removal of the track was a pig of a job don't know what glue Ron used but suspect was bon-create, as wasn't easy to get up esp with sand used as the Ballast was all set like concrete and it required 2 blades in the multi tool to cut it back to board level.

This combo of glue and sand for the ballast also ruined the teeth on my razor saw when cutting the rail gaps for the rewire to DCC as in some spots esp at the points the ballast was at rail hight and was a quick way to blunten the blade.

Thanks for the sugestion anyway.

I have also finally finished painting the L shunters truck with a little air brushing just have to put a pin in the leg of the shunter so he can be located in the truck in a one of a couple of small holes in different positions so he dosn't fall over with a bit of rough shunting.

Martin Any progress with you L shunters truck it was close to paint last time I saw it at the forum.??

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 6

It is now painted. Just needs lettering weathering and couplers.

Look forward to seeing your L Shunters truck Martin

After painting and decals I dry brushed weathered L273 With model master dirty black then some Mig weathering washes to hi light the details then was air brushed very lightly with the model master Dirty Black and then some model master buff Mat this last colour gives that sandy dusty look

Some photos of my L273 shunters truck now in service.

post-14985-0-04874700-1432775026_thumb.jpg

post-14985-0-22042100-1432775145_thumb.jpg

post-14985-0-83907900-1432775182_thumb.jpg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 5

Got some models painted today, all in loco black, ready for some weathering to take place.

I Started with my Bachmann J94 these come in a basic black but not a good finish on my one so a more suitable for a working loco "Black" was chosen. "Loco Black" it's from the Model Masters range of acrylic paints.

Next was the A/B Saddle tank a tower kit this was purchased built RTR it was very cheap due to being a bright blue colour that had been slapped on thick with a brush and a hand made name from craft shop stick on letters but the model was sound other than the painting, I have had this little engine for several years I started to rebuild it some time ago, finally getting back to finish it.

And the largest of the models painted today was the C15 4-4-2 tank.

I purchase this model as built by a supposed professional model builder in the UK for about what the kit, motor and wheels cost. It looked very nice, painted extremely well in all over black and numbered and decaled as a BR early crest.

All was good until when running it with 2 passenger cars the buffer beam pulled off, then on investigation it was found that it was super glued together, not just the body but the chassis as well and after just a small amount of running most of the cross bracing in the chassis had come lose, after a complete strip and start again as a kit of etched brass parts it is again running nicely if I had paid the going price for a RTR loco for this I would have been very disappointed but as I got it for the cost of the kit,motor+wheels it's just one of those cases should have just built the kit. Well I did in the end.

It is now painted all over black but a shade of colour more suited to it being heavily weathered

Some quick photos of the models back in the workshop ready for numbering reassembly and weathering.

Tower A/B -- Bachmann J94 and in the back row the C15 tank assembled again.

post-14985-0-73365000-1433338246_thumb.jpgpost-14985-0-16668800-1433338283_thumb.jpgpost-14985-0-97869900-1433341071_thumb.jpg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 4

Thanks Bob

The candy 45 is a bit of a hybrid balsa, ply, plastic with Atlas Alco bogies that I took from a U.S. atlas RS8

The basic body Hoods came from Alco world in Sydney, I guess was from a deceased estate it came with bits of a BO BO chassis that I recovered 2 nice sagmi motors from the rest was just a wreck. A New Chassis was made up the frame from the Atlas loco was cut up to make use of the bogie pivot points I only refitted one motor as that is all they need (both my atlas based 40 class Locos are like this) still pull lots and it is running with A old sound traxx decoder not the best decoder but had it spare also not an Alco sound set. New decoder on the toget one day list.

It needs some finishing off and the paint work touching up suspect the body parts had kicked around in a box for a while so may be some heavy weathering to disguise the rough edges of this one. It's a good looking model from viewing distance.

I reckon the C15 could pass itself off for something that the coalfields railways imported from England, considering that they bought ex-Mersey Railway 0-6-4 tanks with outside frames!

The C15 is of a similar style as the NSWGR 11 Class pictured below from Wikipedia

post-14985-0-10697900-1433421937_thumb.jpg

I guess that it would have been likely that at least one NSWGR 11class could have been sold to a Colleriy after they were superseded by the S / 30 class.

My collection of small locos would be right at home for a coal or quarry railway and the C15 could be the big engine that hauls the loaded cars to the mainline connection. Although the Tower A/B, Ixion H/C would out pull the C15.

Another layout for the future maybe, "Going to need a bigger shed"

Mybe we need a NSW group layout for our small O scale Locos Martin?? New exhibition layout ??

post-14985-0-18035600-1433422659_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bob I had a feeling I had seen a photo of it in one of the books on the SMR but could not find it when I posted still can't find it.

So there you Go Marty you were not out of the realms of reality with your suggestions.

Bob I will get the 45 on the layout over the weekend and take a photo or two.

Will be going to the Epping Club Exhibition at the Brick pit Saturday so will hopefully be motivated yo do some modelling.

I plan on picking up some parts to detail some more O scale items buffers etc and a set of Waratah bogies for a BMT.

Link below to Exhibition details for any one in NSW Australia. I will post some photos of the show when I return.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99775-epping-model-railway-club-exhibition-2015/

Will be going to the Epping Club Exhibition at the Brick pit Saturday so will hopefully be motivated yo do some modelling.

I plan on picking up some parts to detail some more O scale items buffers etc and a set of Waratah bogies for a BMT.

Link below to Exhibition details for any one in NSW Australia. I will post some photos of the show when I return.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99775-epping-model-railway-club-exhibition-2015/

Made the trip down the M1 to visit the model train show today link to Photos Below their were a few O scale models on display. 7mm and 1/4" to the Foot scale's.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk9XxdS4

Couldn't make it to the Exhibition, unfortunately. Being a church musician, I was helping to finalise a wedding (next Saturday, old Latin Rite) and preparing for the feast of Corpus Christi. Tomorrow I'll have solemn mass, then I'll catch a train into town to see some hot, steamy ladies... uhh... vintage locomotives... yes... at Sydney Central.

Not much modelling done this weekend didn't get all the bits that I wanted at the model Train show but some of the parts are going to be sent out in the mail when in stock.

So refitted the painted parts of the J94 back together, with It now DCC fitted I gave it a test tonight.

Quick Video of it being test run below.

It runs nicely with good sound from a speaker mounted in the boiler the chuff chuff sounds now actualy comes out the chimney as it should.

Very happy with the paint finish of the J94 just have to paint the wheels now a name plus number plate and then some weathering.

post-14985-0-81605500-1433768343.jpg

post-14985-0-03866200-1433768325.jpg

Also as promised some photos of the candy 45class on the layout

Still needs some more details fitted air tanks lower steps and some chassis paint work when the rest of the parts fitted.

post-14985-0-26310000-1433768371.jpgpost-14985-0-18672400-1433768396.jpgpost-14985-0-68672300-1433768412.jpg

Finally whilst the Diseasles where on the layout some photos of 4905 and one of my 44's 4427 at the end of the yard.

post-14985-0-10993400-1433768434.jpgpost-14985-0-86871400-1433768456.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Chris for the photos of the exhibition.

After calls from friends saying how poor it was this year and feeling not so bad, your photos have me now wishing I had been able to go. :>(

Was the Sydney suburban scene the latest Geoff Small layout? Looks good!

The small British OO shunting plank looks like it might have been used as a U-drive... was that the case?

regards

Hi Bob

Re the Show, It was very sparse could have fitted several more layouts or a realy big one or two the general impression as we entered the hall was have a few layouts not turned up but no this was it. Then strangely when you got to the NMRA kids scenery clinic there was a bottle neck with a narrow spot when there was a cross row that was near 10m wide with nothing facing could have had this area for the kids scenic clinic and no worries of tripping over a little person who was waiting to build a diorama.

The Suburban model railway was Geoff Smalls Ashburn. Basic but very nice representative of suburban Sydney, if a little clinical all to clean for old Sydney town.

The little Shunitng layout "Lindon Ford" was not the U drive but Gary the owner was doing his best to promote the hobby by allowing any one to shunt the layout one little boy was being dragged away by his mum after about an hour to see the rest of the show it was in the first row and that is as far as he had got.

The official U drive was at the end of the hall I think I even took a photo of that I don't think I missed any display with the photos just didn't take any of the retail outlets.

Generally a good show model wise if a little lacking on the volume of the layouts not the quantity I belive the same number of layouts as last year just generally smaller layouts.

When I went to the train show recently I wanted to get a bogie kit set to put the correct bogies under an old Bogie Milk Tank (BMT) however the supplier didn't have any but a friend was able to pick up a set for me from the supplier later that weekend (was a 3 day show).

Today got the kit and started the conversion to the correct Bogies for the BMT.

As nice as the kit is some of the parts were poorly formed and required a fair bit of time to drill out the excess material that was filling areas that should have been open on the bogies.

Also the kit comes with a single straight cross brace for the bogie ends incorrect for the type of bogie for a BMT. The BMT's had a stepped cross brace accross the coupler end of the bogie and apear to be open at the other as the brake rigging needed clearance.

I will have to build a cross brace to a similar arrangement to the example in the photo below although it will be of lighter construction the photo is of a heavier passenger bogie.

I modified the bogies to provide a 3 point articulation of the wagon a must with a very short wheel base bogie vehicle. One bogie has 2 outer weight bareing points the other weight bare's on the centre pivot.

The push tests at "excessive" high speed along the railway proved this worked nicely with no derailments or wobbling so common with vehicles that the bogies weight Bare's on both centre pivots.

Next I will add some more detail than orignaly supplied.

post-14985-0-62651700-1434444850.jpg

An example of a bogie with the stepped cross bracing.

post-14985-0-19429300-1434444926.jpg

One big plus of replacing the bogies from the orignal Urethane one that were supplied with the FOX models BMT is the the extra weight the white metal items add to what was a very light model.

BMT No3

post-14985-0-11685600-1434445044.jpg

post-14985-0-68717700-1434445092.jpg

• Like 4

I love how you are updating older models rather than starting over. The old models were quite accurate in overall dimensions, but often sat too high due to the design of the bogies and wheels of the era.

I have the same bogies under my SHG. I didn't bother with compensation, but the bogies have some degree of freedom to rock on their pivots, which should help them stay on track. I've found that rigid wheelbases up to 70mm (10 scale feet) usually don't need compensation or springing, but anything longer starts to have aversions to the perway without it. All those small English four-wheelers with wheelbase between 8 and 9 feet rarely need compensation or springing.

I love how you are updating older models rather than starting over. The old models were quite accurate in overall dimensions, but often sat too high due to the design of the bogies and wheels of the era.

I have the same bogies under my SHG. I didn't bother with compensation, but the bogies have some degree of freedom to rock on their pivots, which should help them stay on track. I've found that rigid wheelbases up to 70mm (10 scale feet) usually don't need compensation or springing, but anything longer starts to have aversions to the perway without it. All those small English four-wheelers with wheelbase between 8 and 9 feet rarely need compensation or springing.

Thanks Martin

I could wast a lot of time building new highly detailed versions of some of the models but that dosn't realy interest me to have the most detailed model that you don't run just incase a part gets knocked off by a careless shunt or similar so a few new parts on some older robust models that run nicely is just fine by me.

The BMT uses 3 point articulation system one end uses the bogies own weight bearing points to the out side edge of the bolster ie nothing under the centre mounting screw

The other end uses the centre mount as a weight bearing point with a domed mount so it can roll on the pivot.

It's a very simple system

Re the wheel base and compensation your about right with the scale10ft wheel base however I haven't had any issues with the NSWGR K--U--RU--wagons at a scale 11.5ft , I have about 12 trucks with this wheel base none compensated they don't have any issues even on some dubious track work they stay on.

Some thing to note about compensation if it is set up wrong or has a bind, it will be a worse outcome than no compensation esp if you try pushing the wagon. The compensation only allows the wheel base to articulate fixed at one end rocking at the other

In model form springing only works well if you have the correct weight over the spring and the spring is light enough to compress easy plus allow droop from the resting position a bit of a balancing act esp in a small model.

Some of the Comercialy avalable O scale bogies have a nice spring set up however most have way too heavy springs swapping these out with a lighter rated spring will greatly improve the bogies ability to function over any track work.

But for those who see that they don't have any chance of getting a rigid model built square and true you need to go for the compensation but this is were things go wrong for most, wagon body not square then the chance of getting the 3 point compensation to be true plus alined is now more of a chalange than it would have been to build the body true and square.

Something for modellers to consider, waiting to get lots of people saying that you can't do with out it but in practice I can with fine scale wheel profiles so I do what works for me.

May be some differences if using S7 standards

Did a count of my NSWGR 4 wheel wagons, 4 have compensation 36 don't

My British 4 wheel wagons 3 have compensation 10 don't the only noticable difference is the click noise over the crossing V of points (frog)

• Like 1

I spring or compensate all my locos (except the first I built and one I bought) and my coaches & bogie stock are all built on the "one rocking bogie" principle. 

Some of the 4W stock has "Parkside droopy axleboxes" which is "anticompensation" and the rest are rigid.  No particular issues with anything falling off.

if the piece of stock falls off all over the place, it's the stock, if everything falls off in the same place, it's the track!

best

Simon

• Like 2

Some of the 4W stock has "Parkside droopy axleboxes" which is "anticompensation" and the rest are rigid. No particular issues with anything falling off.

if the piece of stock falls off all over the place, it's the stock, if everything falls off in the same place, it's the track!

best

Simon

So True re the stock falling off, Simon

I know of a modelers in Oz that had a wagon that would fall off every time it traversed a point on his straight layout (to the Curve side of the point) but this only happened if the wagon was in a train pushing by hand no issue so he spent lots of time putting new sprung axle boxes in it only to find the same issue keeps falling off, again only when in a train of wagons.

Turned out to be the knuckle coupler was binding in the coupler box and the small amount of extra pressure would cause the wagon to climb the rail on the curve of the point.

Re Parkside

Yes the Parkside droopy axle boxes can be an issue for some people as the mouldings arn't usualy crisp and true and if you just put the bits together they would be stuck where you put the axle box in the w iron so care and a bit of finesse require when building or they will get stuck when they move and you end up with a "Robin reliant"

I purchased very cheaply, A fellow Modellers start in o scale, a loco plus 6 wagons, when he got dissatisfied with the wagons he built falling off all due to the 3 wheeler effect

I have these 6wagons in a box to rebuild one day.

The item I wanted was the Loco a Y6 that he had purchased

Not for me but for the kids enjoyment at show he "Toby" will have a face installed and pull the odd train through the layout when lots of little are ones around.

The purists don't approve but if you take the Hobby that seriously you will never truely enjoy it.

Years ago I put a Lima 33 power bogie under a rubber Toby squeaky toy that was about 7mm to the foot and would send it whizzing along the layout and the kids just loved it,

But should have seen the "Death looks" from the serious rivit counters!!!

You know the Ones that will tell you for an hour that those 2 wagons never would have run in the same train and the signal post should be 1/2 a foot shorter than the one you built and as they tell you this you get the feeling all they have at home are books on the subject (no models).

Soap Box Time from above.

I just like to Enjoy the hobby and encourage an interest form the new comers to get involved.

Let the kids blow the whistle on the DCC sound locos and you will get them hooked , it's the only way the Worlds Greatest Hobby will continue. Being an old fart and Passing on with the biggest collection of trains is no good if there is no one that wants to enjoy them again when your gone.

If I offended you in the above it applies to you if it didn't then congrats you enjoy the hobby and let's get some more little modeller started and why not in O as any other scale thanks to Ixion's little locos and Peco "O set track" it isn't out of this world think of it this way

In the U.S. It's "Lionel O" that most start with!

Got hat and coat Going out the Door fast.

Edited by SMR CHRIS

I've found that problem with knuckle couplers. I think too many modellers try for minimal tolerances then wonder why things don't work. There usually needs to be a certain amount of "slop factor" in some components. Knuckle couplers are able to exert forces in certain direction that 3-link couplings don't. There needs to be a fraction of a millimetre of "slop" in knuckle couplers, otherwise they'll haul a model off it's wheels.

I built a Mavis for my lad when he was about two and a half, and a Toby for my daughter when she was about 4. They didn't have faces, the Mavis was a modified Atlas shunter, the Toby was plasticard and Lima. With cheapo DCC decoders to limit Vmax, and half a dozen re wheeled Lima / BigBig minerals we were away. Of course sound wasn't a realistic option 12 or so years ago, but the Toby has smoke. They both have lights.

With an inveterate modeller / engineer father, and a mother who is a rail professional, it's natural that neither child has the remotest interest in trains...

Best

Simon