7mm and larger Modelling Down Under - Layouts & Modelling projects

SMR CHRIS

Wow a super hot Ozzy 43'c day now passed and at 11:55 at night it's still in the mid 30'c out side.

To hot to do a lot so started on making the weathing on 3652 a lot heavier with the aim to have it looking very worked stained typical of many late steam era c36 class locos on the NSWGR system.

Having arrived at Moonan Flat 3652 was put to work shunting the yard.

post-14985-0-37908000-1448024280.jpeg

After sorting the shunting duties the 36 class prepares to return a over night sleeper car to the main line junction station to be attached to the night mail as it passes.

post-14985-0-59305300-1448024309.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Last week we went for a running session on Peters outdoor railway even with the majority of the layout covered the weather stopped us running trains we were able to run locos around but the gusty winds prevented any rolling stock for fear of it ending up getting blown way.

My 57 got wet in a sudden down poor it was gone as soon as it came and running resumed.

Some photos of some of the locos out on the track.

post-14985-0-94280000-1449636758.jpegpost-14985-0-81815700-1449636797.jpegpost-14985-0-49866900-1449636822.jpgpost-14985-0-63056200-1449636856.jpgpost-14985-0-00854100-1449636894_thumb.jpegpost-14985-0-51775500-1449636959.jpegpost-14985-0-45369500-1449636975.jpegpost-14985-0-88523800-1449637276_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

Yes There were 2 of them, one just managed to leave the works as an LMS loco 10000 and then 10001 followed as a British Rail Loco.

Last act of the LMS before BR.

An interesting fact I had this model on display at Liverpool Exhibition this year and a elderly gentleman came over after studying the loco for a long time and said you have the windscreen as we first built it so is was technically wrong on the model and went on to tel me that he was a fitter on the build project of the twins and saying that they were asked to change the window rake and so there were the orignal plans then the revised plan of the cab front only with more rake to the windscreen.

He went on to say how quickly they were working to get the first loco finished as an "LMS loco" before BR could take there glory.

And that's part of why the big LMS in flashy silver.

Was interesting to here from someone that was there.post-14985-0-27365400-1449646060.jpeg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 4

That certainly would have been an interesting conversation Chris. That is a nice model and would look good running around with an LMS carriage set. Of course the pair would look even better :>)

regards

Bob

Edited by robertc

• 1 month later...

PSM fine scale brass 38 class pacific ownership story

My 2 days of ownership of a newly produced 3805 as a replacement for the first one that was returned to the factory within hours of having it orignaly delivered whilst the new one is much better in the Body build missing the odd bit it was left wanting in the chassis and running quality's.

A conversation with the owner of PSM resulted

Now With approval from John at PSM to do what was nessasry to make a good model without having the cost of sending it back to the factory, the model has had a complete rebuild of the loco and tender Chassis so it would actualy run without falling off the track or stoping at the sight of a curve and with quie a few bits missing (PSM are waiting for spares from the factory).

So with the price tag $$$$ in my mind I completely striped the chassis and it has been re built and had some additions

That make it work more like a real loco chassis not a toy train. Spring rates are all over the place from the factory basicly way to stiff and they don't really work and the wheels all have way to much side play this seems to work against cornering as they fight against them selves and bind the chassis and the rods hit other bits on the chassis.

Now with side control on the front bogie, rear trailing truck also has side control plus springing and reduced side play on the drivers as required to make it work like a real loco.

A loose big chunk of steal weight was removed from the boiler it had already started to distort the boiler barrel shape as dosn't screw up tight so any time the loco is transported would have been stressing the boilers brass barrel as it flopped around, I don't think it is nessasry as the loco is heavy enough as is.

A quick mod to the motor mount has stopped a rattle from the way it is mounted on a sprung extension.

The result of several hours of work was it now runs, it will negotiate through a Peco point with no issues any more, previously wouldn't go through, has DCC sound with speaker in the smoke box I tested it At 3am in the morning as I couldn't sleep due to my spinal issues keeping me awake so thought I only need to solder 2 wires to the speaker at this stage and it could basicly move and make sound once this was in my mind I wasn't going to get back to sleep.

So with a big smile on my face placed the loco on the track on the tenders draw bar coupling hole fired up the DCC and recorded its first movements with the phone camera, was it going to work, I was going to record this monumental moment.

Results, it runs is smooth negotiates points and curves

Next I will have to wire up all the lights.

Link to 3805's first steaming

Negotiating the reverse curve on my small layout on to the sector plate.

Now just have to wait for the parts that were missing to arrive and fit and all will be good

Big thanks to John Della at PSM for all the efforts in getting 3805 back and forth to the factory.

I'm sure John is less than impressed with the factory for letting him Down with some of these models build quality

And as per previous RTR offerings I was bound to get the dud.

For some reason if there is a lemon I end up with it, at least it hones my skills in model locomotive overhauling.

• Like 5

I am glad you have finally got a loco that operates as it should Chris. I'm not sure how many purchasers would be so accommodating.

Unfortunately this is not uncommon and the importer is not alone in facing these issues from suppliers who are told to concentrate on rivets, not on sound mechanical and electrical attributes.

The Japanese makers years ago assumed that the HO brass models they were supplying would primarily be displayed on a shelf in their golden glory, so we received pretty toys that needed a lot of work to run smoothly and reliably.

These problems can send firms to the wall as you are entitled to a product as described and free from faults or your money back.

My problems with the 49 pale into insignificance.

regards

Bob Comerford

• 3 weeks later...

I am glad you have finally got a loco that operates as it should Chris. .

My problems with the 49 pale into insignificance.

regards

Bob Comerford

Hi Bob sorry for the tardy reply I forgot my pass word well how it was written anyway. So couldn't get in.

The 49 is an interesting case of it generally looked good but suffered from packaging issues for transport that damaged it.

I was speaking with the guys behind that project this week and they had specked one style of packaging only for it to be different and they hope the 45 class Alco will be packaged as per the spec they requested. ie more suitable for a heavy O scale loco.

The bogie issues can be sorted by making up a bracket that stops the potential movement of the outer gear boxes.

I did this on my 44's and the 49 is next as has finally started to have the issue after it was run into the buffer stops by an over exuberant operator the motor is so torquey that it will just wind up the drive tubes as you found Bob

The simple bracket on the 44class Bogie before painting

post-14985-0-00476200-1454312949.jpeg

The 38 has been run every day since entering service have found a couple more running issues that will need work

I also modified the driver's side cab window by cutting out the post that was incorrectly representing the can window frame and fitted a driver and fireman

post-14985-0-90998100-1454313136_thumb.jpeg

Next to make up a soft black foam insert to put coal on top ti fill the tender to hid that there are missing detail parts

post-14985-0-74525500-1454313956.jpeg

• Like 4

Now that these 38s are being sorted out, I look forward to seeing one on Arakoola. Perhaps the visitors at Guildex will have a real treat!

I hope that a few 36 and 60 class are going over there with them.

If my experance is any thing to go by Marty if you don't do some modifications you wouldn't be able to get one to do a lap of the layout without shorting out or the rods fouling on the other reciprocating parts and doing damage.

Interesting mod for the diesel mechs there Chris.

There certainly needs to be some more thought go into the packaging of O gauge locos. Even if the crane drivers are gentle, the ocean isn't.

My current issue with the 49 is the blown leds.  They moved about, shorting via the brass body. A job for a future time. 

If a 38 becomes forthcoming via DJH in the future I might have to sell my soul. :>)

regards

Bob Comerford

The LED's are a bit of an issue as I found with my one the wireing was so short that it was hard to work around had to lenghthen the wires.

I think it was Trevor Hodges who posted that he had bown all his 49 class LED's up and had to replace all of them.

• 1 month later...

Ok it's been a little bit since anything happened at Moonan Flats time to start doing some work on it and it's rolling stock to be ready for the Exhibition in June.

Some work on Locos has been done with a US Atlas RS4/5 with a basic conversion to a lookalike NSWGR 40class has had a Decoder fitted and coupler conversion started to the Procraft ones that I use one end done now to tackle the other whilst test running I made a quick video to show on another forum

Here it is

http://youtu.be/j7d37h_jKq0"]

Then it was on to some other items

Coupler replacement for the 20class loco, a coupler was made for the rear of the loco it's a Hybrid Procraft Knuckle /Kadee Shank this is to get the length from the mount point, so the Knuckle is forward of the buffers will make shunting easier.

25324312324_8ae39308e6_c.jpgNew Louver Van for Moonan Flats

Next item tackled this afternoon was to add another item of rolling stock to the roster it's A 4 wheel LV = Louver Van, they were straight to the point with wagon coding in NSW.

It's a mixed media kit Plastic,white metal, brass parts.

Got it to this stage rolling, coupler's on started on the basic detail parts like lamp irons and tie loops.

Next to do is the under side detail all the brake rodding, shoes and hardware.

25836208662_061ecbfbfe_c.jpgNew Louver Van for Moonan Flats

25836226812_a639801476_c.jpgNew Louver Van for Moonan Flats

The chassis under frame is designed for a dummy coupler supplied with the kit to screw in a small slot so a standard procraft box won't fit luckily the only part of the box needed is the center part so cut down and it fits in the slot between the chassis beams nicely.

25836212932_f1e5da22ff_c.jpgNew Louver Van for Moonan Flats

With the wagon rolling I did a little shunting to test it out before all the underside detail gets added just to make sure it was all good.

25836217162_4ce71d7481_h.jpgNew Louver Van for Moonan Flats

http://www.click

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 4

Sad to see those big engines constrained Chris. You need a place to put a full load behind them and run them at the speeds they were designed for. (grin)

My train watching season is coming to a close. Once upon a time a friendly railway commissioner would have given us an unused building to play trains in.

regards

Bob

Yes Bob It is a bit of a shame to constrain them to the 8ft scenic layout but on the good side, I won't ware them out any time before I get my dream train shed.

If I was a bit more Healthy in regards to my Back I would be asking if you wanted a visitor, however traveling that distance at the moment in the car by the time I got to your place I would possibly not be able to enjoy the day or my feet may not work.

Will be in hospital in 2 weeks time and the Neuro Dr is going to try some things.

Re you train season with a bit of luck it's a bit milder than last year and no Snow with a bit more luck you will get a few nice warm days in the middle to have a run.

Re the train Commissioner.

There are a few lucky groups that still have some nice railway property, tightly held so they don't loose it the the greed of the bean counters.

Then there are groups like the Darling Downs club in Qld that has a huge huge shed for their trains, I wish my local Showgrounds had the vision like that and were progressive, they have a poultry shed that gets used once a year and that OK but have a group of train enthusiast build a display that was an all year round thing that can be open at any event and would draw a crowd, no couldn't have that it would cost to maintain a building ?? Can't see the logic in that.

Will just hope one day I get that space for my own big shed just dreaming at the moment.

Edited by SMR CHRIS

Dubbo have a deal with the local show society. Nice big building in the showgrounds with a few open days and exhibitions provided in return. I did visit them once when working in Muswellbrook, turned out to be their xmas bbq day. As the drought broke that afternoon and the streets were flooded I was trapped for a couple of hours and had to stay and be fed!  One of the members was into NSW 7mm but lived in another town nearby.

I am very jealous, could never see such an arrangement here.

AMRA doesn't provide for me, they put a Yank 3-rail layout layout in the centre of the NSW 3-rail layout in Sydney instead of a NSW 2-rail one. It would have been great to be able to combine a visit to the smoke with mixing with other NSW 7mm modellers, both 3-rail and 2-rail.

Give me a buzz if you are ever up to travel.

regards

Bob

Ok it's been a little bit since anything happened at Moonan Flats time to start doing some work on it and it's rolling stock to be ready for the Exhibition in June.

Some work on Locos has been done with a US Atlas RS4/5 with a basic conversion to a lookalike NSWGR 40class has had a Decoder fitted and coupler conversion started to the Procraft ones that I use one end done now to tackle the other whilst test running I made a quick video to show on another forum

Here it is

"]

Hard to believe that it was nearly 9 years ago when I took the plunge and bought an RSD-4/5 and ran the callipers and scale ruler over it. Of course, it had been talked about for about 3 or 4 years at that stage but no-one had bothered to look into it. Turns out that you basically get a 1:45 scale 40 class.

In the end I never finished the conversion and sold it off through Berg's Hobbies. What would I want with a mainline diesel when I'm a small steam loco man?

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to believe that it was nearly 9 years ago when I took the plunge and bought an RSD-4/5 and ran the callipers and scale ruler over it. Of course, it had been talked about for about 3 or 4 years at that stage but no-one had bothered to look into it. Turns out that you basically get a 1:45 scale 40 class.

In the end I never finished the conversion and sold it off through Berg's Hobbies. What would I want with a mainline diesel when I'm a small steam loco man?

Didn't see you at the forum last weekend Marty ? Was quite a good day much better for me, than the few days after when I ended up in the Intensive care unit at North Gosford Hospital.

Once I recover a bit will get into posting about the new HG kit from modelOkit a different concept in kit design.

Re the quote above

Marty your a bit presumptuous to say that no one had looked into it as far as would it be possible to convert a AlcoRS to a NSWGR40 it seems like forever ago that I purchased several versions of the RS in O scale these included several weaver versions that actualy don't need so much modification body wise but run BO-BO bogies, so long ago that I had to look them out of storage to get some bits recently to get the one in the clip mobile, these were purchased long after making A HO 40 from a Atlas Alco RS 4/5 and even longer from when I made this from a AHM of Yugoslavia I wasn't even a teenager when this model was done but as a Kid I was more than happy to, Just have a lookalike NSWGR loco . post-14985-0-70601500-1460163421_thumb.jpeg

What I can tel you is that the conversion of Atlas Alco RS to 40 class lookalike has been around as long as Atlas has been producing a Version of the RS Alco as a very young modeller I remember being able to purchase from Punchbowl Hobbies a HO Atlas RS4/5 in brown with a decal set, later Ianlinday models produced a kit to convert it to a more realistic model with parts to fill in the the steps and a cab much in the way MRC did for the for the O scale one that kit was $15 at the time the loco would cost $80-90 sounds cheap now but then it was expensive, it was atlas and at the time was considered cutting edge with the motor drive and for many years as a young modeller that 40 class was my go to loco as it would out perform the Lima 44 any day and looked better as well

I still have that HO model and if I was to get it out it would still run silky smooth what must be 30 year later no longer brown but now loco green.

Re a O scale version's I have seen several 3 rail lookalikes of a 40 class long before we had the GagO / Century models Scale 7mm parts available it's so long ago that I can't remember the order but I may have even had some of the wever Alco RS parts before I got a GagO S truck that's making me feel old at just over 40 now.

I also know of several US brass Alco RS model conversions in O representing NSWGR 40 classes that have been round even longer , so that has also got to tell you something that the idea of conversion of the Alco RS to a NSWGR 40class was nothing new. Even when the Atlas O model came out and it was talked about again when Atlas did a 3rd rerun and Bergs told everyone that they had models to sell possibly about the time that you did your measurements, it's a shame you did not run with it, as would have given you a early period mainline loco to feed your industrial line trains with work.

Marty have you got anywhere with your O layout build now your at home again and have some space to model.

I noticed that Bergs had the Peco O set track that you have talked about in other posts, in good quantitys at the forum may be a good start for a branch line round the Garage with the industrial Locos.

Will let you know How the HG goes when I get stuck into it, It's also not too expensive at $259 for what you get in the kit, being etched brass, white metal, card and plastic part, not the usual urethane type kits we have had previously

• Like 1

One of my first N scale models was an RSD modified to a 40 class and just like many others I had HO versions too when I moved up into that scale. The AlCo road switchers have been favourites for decades to make 'near enough' NSWGR diesels.  I have even seen mods to the Tri-ang version back in the 60's. When I was in S scale I made new 3-axle side frames for the 2-axle bogies of the American Models offering I used as the basis for that conversion. I am guessing Col Shepherd's 40 class would be the first scratchbuilt o gauge one I have seen.

I had the X200 out running yesterday in between showers while I was chasing an non-existent fault ( getting senile) . It hesitated a couple of times on the wet track, but a couple of dabs of magic powdered graphite soup mix had it crawling around without hesitation.

The return of summer in autumn has seen me make the most of it.

regards

Bob

Edited by robertc

That repainted RS2 takes me back Chris. Once a common sight when there was little in the way of local models in HO (or any scale). The first mention in the mag was about using the Hobbytown kit as a basis, followed by a conversion article in 71.

Your spot on Bob re the 40 conversions going back years.

I remember Cols O scale one thundering round when dad took me to the town hall exhibition then later at the show grounds.

The O scale was a continuous parade of marvellous long trains never was there a gap in proceedings.

The current crop of roundys could use a lessen in entertaining the public like they did.

Great to get some running in make the most of it Bob we had our first cool night so could be finally in for a change.

How lucky was I.  When we invited Norm and Col to Malkara in Canberra I got to run the trains during their breaks.

They had trouble getting it back off me :>)

I slipped away from the layout I was supposed to be operating at every opportunity.

Unlike our smaller scale stuff of the era their layout ran faultlessly.  Open a throttle and a loco would move away smoothly, every time. I think I got chipped for running them too slow, but the crowd was still 3 deep. :>)

regards

Bob

• Like 1