7mm and larger Modelling Down Under - Layouts & Modelling projects

SMR CHRIS

Two more Locos return to service this week with the install of DCC sound in a NSWGR 19class 0-6-0 tender loco and a NSWGR 30T Class 4-6-0 tender loco in Australia the T indicates a tender version of a loco both orignaly Fox models products.

The 30class had a chassis overhaul and some modifications to reduce the running hight as was 7mm to high at the buffer line 7 mm is a lot to find in a loco but I managed to get 6.5 mm and the loco sits much better and runs nicely with extra pickups even on the leading bogie for good DCC signal and power transfer. Some extra Oaust models parts details are also being added as well the tender was also close coupled with a sprung draw bar.

The 30T number 3108

post-14985-0-70338500-1461133945.jpeg

The 19 class was a more simple conversion swap wheels and fit speaker between the frames added extra pickups and its away. Could not fit a speaker in the boilers of these was would have needed to much surgery

post-14985-0-29172800-1461134276.jpeg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 6

They are both looking a lot better Chris. A scale foot is a lot to take out.

While this range was mainly aimed at the 3-rail market the 2-railed ones do add to the the small variety of commercial equipment that can be found occasionally on the s/h market for NSWGR modelling. They can be tarted up if required over time.

regards

Bob

Keep your eye out on Feebay and Gumtree Marty; you never know. A friend has picked up several items this way.

As you live in the smoke go make yourself known at AMRA. That is the centre of NSWGR 3-rail these days and items come up for sale from time to time, some 2-railed. Regular attendees get first pick because often the seller is not 'net savvy.

regards

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

The details below are for an exhibition in Australia that I will be exhibiting with Moonan Flat.

The list of Exhibitor's and trade stands has been announced for this year's show at the brick pit Thornleigh NSW Australia

June long weekend 11-13thJune 2016 it's a 3day show.

Link to details

http://www.eppingmod...exhibition.html

An impressive list of layouts over 20 and the draw of one of the best Second hand stalls around

Also a lot of local traders as well

post-14985-0-70030600-1462502990_thumb.jpeg

The driver of 3805 getting ready

post-14985-0-91174000-1462503037_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Hi Chris.

Bullo Pill is a new one on me?

Then again it has been some years since I was last able to spend time way at exhibitions.

regards

Bob

Hi Bob

Yes Bullo pill is a new one first seen at Forrestville this year

Photo link below if you look at the photos in the Forrestville Album you will find a few more photos of it.

It's by the north shore club mainly Peter Betts and Derrick Netting I think.

the groups previous layout in O was North Yard the one with the rope worked incline.

25154002989_443ae3c0a8_z.jpgForrestville Exhibition by CHRIS, on Flickr

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 3

Thanks for the heads up Chris. I think Peter had a lift bridge on the 4mm dual gauge one I last saw him with.

He built a very nice 32 class years ago in HO. He made it like a 2-8-0 with only the front wheels of the pony truck pivoting.

regards

Bob

Thanks for the heads up Chris. I think Peter had a lift bridge on the 4mm dual gauge one I last saw him with.

He built a very nice 32 class years ago in HO. He made it like a 2-8-0 with only the front wheels of the pony truck pivoting.

regards

Bob

Hi Bob

Yes it is a really nice loco the c32 of Peters I had it on my NSWGR HO layout for many years, Peter came to give it a run and said it may as well stay for a while as he never ran it and it was several more years before Peter decided to take it home and it really could pull a load, very clever with the gearing to the smaller leading driving wheel of the 2-8-0 arrangement on a 4-6-0 (sounds wrong) everything was scratch built including the wheels on that loco. I have a old print photo of it on my layout, stored somewhere if I find it I will scan it and post it up.

Enjoyed the photos.

One or two outstanding exhibits.

You wonder how they transported them.

Hi EKR

What parts / video are you referring to when you say " wonder how the transported them if you let me know may be able to let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Some new works at Moonan Flats

The view block at the entry to the scene is under construction

It's a timber over pass built with Tas Oak and balsa wood Plus some bolt details

Painted with thinned washes of paint now have to build and install the side wings.

26468147153_3289607fcb_c.jpgA bridge for Moonan Flats as a view block by CHRIS, on Flickr

27034564252_af99383814_c.jpgBridge for Moonan flats build continues by CHRIS, on Flickr

26524575254_6d0890f2c5_c.jpgBridge for Moonan Flats, build by CHRIS, on Flickr

26871354870_5987d943cf_c.jpgBridge build, pre painted Railing mounted and deck barge white washed by CHRIS, on Flickr

26542103003_a8c359f7d7_c.jpgBridge in position with weathering done now for the side wings scenic's by CHRIS, on Flickr

26896846350_9e0ed4a0e3_c.jpgProgress at Moonan Flats Station name and details going on by CHRIS, on Flickr

27138093736_753d989be3_c.jpgProgress at Moonan Flats Station name and details going on by CHRIS, on Flickr

Next item was a station name board

26566685443_142b5d65fe_c.jpgProgress at Moonan Flats Station name and details going on by CHRIS, on Flickr

As seen from the footplate of the arriving C38 pacific 3820

27171105895_c45328d9d0_c.jpgProgress at Moonan Flats Station name and details going on by CHRIS, on Flickr

Some branch passenger cars shunted in the Bay ready for the next train.

27125721731_3e91dc8568_c.jpgBranch line Passenger cars in the bay at Moonan Flats by CHRIS, on Flickr

26588657224_5dd07dfcda_c.jpgBranch line Passenger cars in the bay at Moonan Flats by CHRIS, on Flickr

Coal train arives from the colliery up the line, too leave the loaded hoppers to be picked up by the next branch line goods train

27195172545_891d742ce4_c.jpgSMR Coal Train by CHRIS, on Flickr

Tomorrow the back scene a Haskel models photo print will hopefully be installed fingers crossed.

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 7

The bridge is a good addition Chris.

The coalie adds some colour.

Look forward to seeing the backscene installed.

Gave the layout a birthday last weekend. The bird poo was getting too much so I decided it was time for an overall clean of the tracks. Been a couple of years since I cleaned it. Got carried away and gave the loco's a birthday too. Clean, adjust and replace some worn pickups, cleaned the wheels and oil and grease where required.

regards

Bob

• Like 1

The bridge is a good addition Chris.

The coalie adds some colour.

Look forward to seeing the backscene installed.

Gave the layout a birthday last weekend. The bird poo was getting too much so I decided it was time for an overall clean of the tracks. Been a couple of years since I cleaned it. Got carried away and gave the loco's a birthday too. Clean, adjust and replace some worn pickups, cleaned the wheels and oil and grease where required.

regards

Bob

Thanks Bob

It sounds like you had a productive time with the layout and the rolling stock.

With the warn days we have Been having its extended the running season outside, buy a good month or so.

Back scene coming up next post.

A photo Backscene for Moonan Flats

This is some thing I had been putting off doing for a while firstly it was going to need two people and I was not sure how it was going to look on such a shallow layout.

The Back Scene chosen is from the Haskell Model Company and is a vinyl material with a self adhesive backing (basically a big sticker) www.haskellco.net for any one interested in seeing other back scene's they do.

So a start was made,

Step 1 strip to top off the layout

26629304644_2115c014a9_c.jpg

Step 2 assemble the layout top, laying across the back deck pool table with the back down to make it easier too work the sticker into place

27236063925_a46d63005d.jpg

Step 3 Measure the start point and cut in around the frame.

27167032411_edec7fd296.jpg

Step 4 start working towards the other end cutting in around the pelmet braces as we went.

27138946562_831c7fff1e_z.jpg

Step5 get to the other end and cut out opening in the end of the layout top for the trains to come through trick here is to cut back at an 45'angle from each corner 15mm then cut the centre out from the end of each cut this leaves enough to roll over the edge ie no sharp cut off edge.

27139839602_50f86955b8_z.jpg

Step 6 Add some scenic's along the back edge of the layout boards to hide the join between the layout and photo, sorry forgot to take photo of this bit see the photos below step8

Step7. Refit top to layout, now it's a "Model Railway"

Step8 the most important "Step" of all thank my wife Shelley for helping otherwise there would have been a lot of Beeep words.

And for taking photos, then take photos of the "Model Railway" and admire your hand work with a cool drink.

WOW what a change in look

26630392333_6b99e40996_h.jpgBack Scene for Moonan Flats

27201829646_2e713ee8da_h.jpgBack Scene for Moonan Flats

27167055801_cade467556_h.jpg

26960889200_06b1a43800_h.jpg

That's it, for a long post, about not much but what a change to the look of the Model Railway it has made.

May even get some trains back out now and have a shunt.

• Like 11

photo's of a loco that I don't think has been seen before at Moonan Flats NSWGR 35class #3531

I'm well chuffed with the look of the new photo Backscene. I'm sure my next layout will get a similar treatment well worth it.

26963589430_b742774180_b.jpg3531 at Moonan Flats

27141679082_7c731fa666_b.jpg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 9

I must say that backscene works perfectly with the layout. The colours in the foreground blend in nicely aswell (you planned that, I am sure!) I am wondering if those corners show up much when viewed in-the-flesh. Photographs have a nasty tendency to make those things stand out which otherwise would go un-noticed. It has got me thinking that whenever I get around to building a layout I might find a way of curving the back-corners. Perhaps life is too short to worry about those things, when the eyes should be on the trains!

I must say that backscene works perfectly with the layout. The colours in the foreground blend in nicely aswell (you planned that, I am sure!) I am wondering if those corners show up much when viewed in-the-flesh. Photographs have a nasty tendency to make those things stand out which otherwise would go un-noticed. It has got me thinking that whenever I get around to building a layout I might find a way of curving the back-corners. Perhaps life is too short to worry about those things, when the eyes should be on the trains!

Unfortunately Marty the way I built the top then used the space right to the corners ruled out curving then I got the photo print scene, so it is what it is I'm no rivet counter so it's not going to worry me. Next time I will plan the corners to be curved from the start and not have the tracks right to the corners.

Re The colours yes I have had the photo backscene since last year chosen as it very closely represents the real Moonan Flats hills

Bit of a thing that the Flats are really just a small area between hills on the edge of of the Baringtons Tops hence a possible rail route from the inland branching off between Aberdeen and Scone heading to the coast but costs to get through the mountains resulted in the line stopping at Moonan Flats and the Tourist traffic is such that the line remained open.

My Next small Layout plans are well underway components to build in stock. Quite different to this one small industrial Locos and animation with emptied hoppers in loads out etc

"Perhaps life is way to short ". "It is" , you never know what may happen I Speak from real life experience as you know, so take that thought you just had and get building on your layout Marty you have been putting it off for years, life is way too short as you just said, get started before another decade passes without you getting a real "Model Railway" built and I don't want to hear I don't have space.

• Like 1

This has come together very nicely.

The backscene is very good re. the corners - schmorners - they don't matter - live and learn as required - next time just plan with curved corners or even a slightly curved backscene over the whole length of the visible part of the layout IMO.

I really am admiring your modeling!

Best Regards,

Christian

Thanks for the comments everyone and all the likes, the little box at the top was lit up this morning

This Model Railway was never originally planned to get to this stage of detail, It was only going to be a basic demo board to show that you don't need a huge amount of space to model O scale and run some of the bigger Locos.

I had so much fun with shunting it like a puzzle that it went from basic layout to A ModelRailway, even though it's only 2 points the sector plate is like having several more it's the yard approach extra sidings etc eg stock yard siding train arives you shunt the yard place a van to pickup the milk in the bay and shunt the stock vans on to the sector plate then I use the sector plate as a turn table to turn the loco, one of the best bits of making the table strong and easy to use, it rotates right round quick and easy with a DCC auto reverser to power so doesn't even need to be unplugged.

Now the next layout is underway planning and boards etc so I have planned to have the photo back scene at the beginning not part way into the build.

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 1

Again thanks everyone for all the likes again.

Well the Tourist season started at Moonan Flats this week with the population exploding extra station Staff are sent each morning from Scone, the Junction station for the Moonan Branch to handel the extra load as the tourists arrive on there way to the Baringtons National Park.

27276443355_d82c489559_b.jpgTourist Season at Moonan Flats

The observant will see that the painter if putting the finishing touches on the yearly spruce up.

27206274681_ff15bdd024_b.jpgTourist Season at Moonan Flats

Steps fitted to the end of the platform and weathered

27206294941_d22cacfb7e_b.jpgTourist Season at Moonan Flats

Looks like he's even painted the station name board legs.

27206310141_a3617093a6_b.jpgTourist Season at Moonan Flats

A Young train spotter asks a crew member some questions on his return to Moonan Flats from Boarding school.

26672317833_d29ce6496f_b.jpg

Also Put a bit of weathering on the brick section of the platform using Pan Pastels.

27181496702_2bcc0f442b_b.jpg

• Like 6

Chris, that is really delightful. I can only give your post one 'like' but want a button for multi-likes!

The figures are great, the photos do them justice and the new backscene sets the whole thing off perfectly. A great example of making a small layout seem spacious and interesting.

John