7mm and larger Modelling Down Under - Layouts & Modelling projects

SMR CHRIS

Chris,

This is excellent and the backscene is superb. My only suggestion is to lose the coffins on the Peco points. How far away are you from my Ixion partners Lindsay O'Reilly (Newcastle) and Phil Badger (Northern Sydney)?

Regards,

Chris

Chris,

This is excellent and the backscene is superb. My only suggestion is to lose the coffins on the Peco points. How far away are you from my Ixion partners Lindsay O'Reilly (Newcastle) and Phil Badger (Northern Sydney)?

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris to Lindsay I'm 40 min door to door and to Phil B about 1-1/2hours depending on traffic and yes know them both and been to both places.

Yes the peco Coffins should have modified before I fitted the points may look at after the exhibition "removing them"

The basic layout was intended as a demo "you can do this" type and so didn't worry to much about the points. Just made 100% DCC friendly now as all the scenic's develop the Boxes stand out as being out of place. Mind you so is the bull head rail of the Peco not that anyone has noticed or said anything as only one or two places in NSW had bull head and I think that was due to it coming as ships ballast like on the Morpeth Line north of Newcastle had bits of bull head mixed with the standard flat bottom.

Exhibition coming up

Hi all I will attending a show next weekend with my model railway.

At the Brick pit Staduim Thornleigh NSW Australia stand 17 Moonan Flats. With the Platform1mrc. Promo stand next to the layout then Gary's of "Linden Ford" fame has a New OO layout "Industry Lane" that will also be next to Platform1

Link to the show, directions, times and other info

http://www.eppingmodelrailway.org.au/exhibition.html

So don't be shy if you are visiting the show call by and say Hello.

A good number of stands at this show.

26827909644_d7c2268f87_c.jpgBrick pit exhibition Thornleigh NSW exhibit list

Floor plan

27402874836_649c37ef5c_c.jpgBrick pit exhibition Thornleigh NSW exhibit list

post-14985-0-87711900-1465060655_thumb.jpeg

Water tank works tonight to give the old tank a fresh old look

With the internal stays fitted, painted it a fresh coate of mat black weathered just waiting for the water now.

Tank being striped for removal of the flat top.

27278043022_eb35624b8c_z.jpgWater tower make over under way by

Top and sides refitted with the top lower to allow some details and water

26768289514_99c7cd5a9d_z.jpgWater tower make over under way by CHRIS, on Flickr

Internal Stays for the sides cut and ready to be fitted

27501045035_7989a48879_z.jpgOld Water tower model detailed, painted and weathered

Stays fitted and ladder top landing area installed.

27429180421_8aeedd0389_z.jpgOld Water tower model detailed, painted and weathered

Repainted Mat black all over again

27429207031_b78c7ee5a4_z.jpgOld Water tower model detailed, painted and weathered

Inside the tank wreathed with Pan pastels

26891623034_b6c6eee2a9_z.jpgOld Water tower model detailed, painted and weathered

How it looked before the rebuild

It was this plain mat black with non prototypical closed flat top, now it is an open top tank as per prototype with weathering a few more little bits and fingers crossed it will have water or atleast something that looks like it.

27201829646_4fdba037c6_z.jpg

After the rebuild with some basic weathering done with Pan Pastels,

26893205843_52fb453ba5_z.jpgOld Water tower model detailed, painted and weathered

Photo the other way

27429198061_45d1eb621b_z.jpgOld Water tower model detailed, painted and weathered

Water post if it works tomorrow.

• Like 7

The water tower looks great, Chris, a huge improvement on the original. One of the problems of model railways is that you see so much more of the tops of things than in real life - which means that we have to pay them a lot of attention. The new backscene has added a lot to the overall feel of the layout, too.

John

Thanks all for the nice comments

Hi Bob

Yes surprising the amount of stuff in a water tank lots of cross bracing stays etc

Will add some corner cross stays and the cross stays to the middle once the water is finished as it would be hard working around all the wires

First fill of water is in

post-14985-0-20065900-1465307002_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

So how went the Exhibition weekend Chris?

regards

Bob

Hi Bob it was a very successful show

The layout performed very well with only operator errors no layout or model issues at all.

We got 2nd place in the best model Railway award 1st was "Over the fence" 3rd was "Industry Lane" pretty good as Moonan Flats is not the usual tail chaser style layout.

Enjoy the video

Link to youtube with the layout at the show.

https://youtu.be/Qx1xZaX4aGA

Edited by SMR CHRIS

Video of Trains running on Moonan Flats at the recent Brick Pit 2016 exhibition in NSW Australia

And a video of the other model railways at the show BTW that's me Chris on the left Young Jack and Gary

• Like 2

Moonan Flats is a splendid layout. The back-scene is very convincing.

I saw a 38 Class, 3801 I think, in Newcastle a few years ago on a visit to Lindsay O'Reilly. I like your 32 Class. Did you see our Ixion HO 32 at the Thornleigh show?

Moonan Flats is a splendid layout. The back-scene is very convincing.

I saw a 38 Class, 3801 I think, in Newcastle a few years ago on a visit to Lindsay O'Reilly. I like your 32 Class. Did you see our Ixion HO 32 at the Thornleigh show?

Hi Chris thanks for the nice comments

re the Ixion 32 Yes did see them and I had a chat with Lindsay

But one problem your 32 falls between the track on my layouts,

one of my friends/operator on my layout for the weekend got 2 of them though look nice.

• 4 weeks later...

Diesel day at Moonan Flats

A new member of the fleet arrives at Moonan Flats 4916

post-14985-0-46428300-1468854127_thumb.jpeg

This model was severely damaged in the post on delivery somethings went wrong the parcel was doing a Tour of this Big Country for a coule of weeks ended up back near where it started before finaly making it to its new home as a kit of parts. Still has some small parts to refit.

One item that was very damaged "in several pieces" was the bogies these are a week point on the model anyway so a complete rebuild with some modifications and now they should never give an problem again.

post-14985-0-41458400-1468854035_thumb.jpeg

Added some new pickup wires as well the factory ones break off due to poor quality wire and they only had one of the two sets wired now all are wired, adjusted plus painted so are not shiny and visible

post-14985-0-45149200-1468854075_thumb.jpeg

One issue these bogies have is the outer Axles and gear box assembly's are able to torque them selves round and dislodge the drive shafts (Flexible RC fuel hose) visible in the Photo above.

The brackets do two things hold the sides together if the mount screws come loose and stop the gear boxes from being able to torque them selves round but using the brass tube allows some movement as the bogies are fully sprung

I also replaced the centre axles springs with lighter ones this alows the axle to float up and down as the factory springs are way to strong and the bogie could rock on the centre Axle.

Once painted the additions are barely visible and when fitted to the loco are not noticeable post-14985-0-49559900-1468854261_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-03351400-1468854305_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-06010000-1468854353_thumb.jpeg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 5

Good thinking  Chris, hopefully the 49 will become a reliable member of the team now.

It reminds me I have one needing a lot of work to fix the lights still :>)

Building an indoor layout at the moment so I can once again run trains when the great outdoors is not suitable, so not much else happening.

Cheers

Bob

Good thinking Chris, hopefully the 49 will become a reliable member of the team now.

It reminds me I have one needing a lot of work to fix the lights still :>)

Building an indoor layout at the moment so I can once again run trains when the great outdoors is not suitable, so not much else happening.

Cheers

Bob

Thanks Bob

A little bit more work, steps, mirrors on the other side I need to make some new brackets for them, Plus a heavy weathering job and a Decoder and it will be used as a pick up freight Loco with the raised centre buffing plate's 4916 will be easier to use with the transition Link coupler's, 4905 with the flat Buffing beam is a right pain to couple using the transition link as it is hard to get at. And with the bogie mods it can't destroy the drive shafts when under load 4905 had done it once (I think we messaged about the tube) so I replaced the connections with better quality tube now I'm going to build a second set of brackets to permanently fix 4905 as well

Re your new layout inside ? Is it a small O scale or are you doing a HO layout for inside.

Old and the New

post-14985-0-29943700-1468951722_thumb.jpeg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 2

Hi Chris, I am chewing it over at the moment. I have laid a HO loop around the room and am trying it out. It seems very small now after the time running larger scales.

post-5543-0-27148900-1468970431.jpg

Here is a shot of one side of the room, the doorway has a lift section. I hate duckunders.

regards

Bob

• Like 1

Hello Chris

I really like the 49, it looks great. Do they have the EMD 567 engine in them? (the full-size one, I mean).

John

Hi John, 8 cylinder 567C or CE.

Here is a ref. if you would like to know more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_South_Wales_49_class_locomotive

They are very reliable units but were sadly just another example of govt pork barrelling and should never have been built.  NSWGR already had competent light line diesels with the 48 class.

cheers

Bob

Hi John, 8 cylinder 567C or CE.

Here is a ref. if you would like to know more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_South_Wales_49_class_locomotive

They are very reliable units but were sadly just another example of govt pork barrelling and should never have been built. NSWGR already had competent light line diesels with the 48 class.

cheers

Bob

Hello Chris

I really like the 49, it looks great. Do they have the EMD 567 engine in them? (the full-size one, I mean).

John

Yes John that's the one it's good to have a lot of options re sound decoders due to the EMD being the engine of choice

Bob has answered with a great link it has all the info re the class better than I could have conveyed.

Nice start to the layout inside Bob is that a section of O track and the O scale X200 as well in that photo or just a trick of the photos angle?

Edited by SMR CHRIS

Very observant Chris, yes, that is the X200 on a section of track. The 79 and a B wagon were out of shot. :>)

I was testing the water with O gauge. However it looked very restricted to me plus the 18 class won't get around the curves, neither will the 41. Short w/b two axle territory only,  so railmotors, and a 73 would be the only other options. I have a HO circuit and will just observe for a time. It looks so tiny now after having larger scales for some years, not sure if I would be happy with it these days.

I know the answer for this room but I disposed of most of that equipment when I moved to 7mm. :>(

cheers

Bob

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris,

Just spent an enjoyable hour or so reading through your thread... what inspirational stuff, your modelling is of such a high quality and of an interesting prototype. I cannot give enough praise!

I love the Moonan Flats layout, the trackplan is simple yet so effective. It shows what can be done in a modest space and I imagine the size could be reduced even further if it was limited to small locos and 4 wheel rolling stock. It is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking at for my embryonic layout, the use of the sector plate certainly saves on space for pointwork and gives food for thought in the planning process. The backscene makes such a difference and it's difficult to believe the layout is so narrow given the photos after you installed it - what a transformation

Those little 4 wheel hopper wagons (for coal?) are just my kind of thing... If you don't mind can you tell me a little bit more about them - both the prototype and the kit? Please excuse my ignorance on the subject matter but I'm very intrigued! 

Keep up the good work!

David

Chris seems to be off line at the moment David so perhaps I can help.

This link should give you some insight into the hoppers.

http://fourwheelsnoaircoal.blogspot.com.au/2009/05/hunter-valley-coal-wagons.html

In summary there are two basic versions of the ones you are referring to

1) the non air private hoppers ( seen only in the Hunter Valley)

2) the NSWGR air braked versions (seen all over the system)

At least one private owner had some air braked versions for accessing their mine much further up the Hunter Valley than the rest of the mines. These had to traverse much higher country and use the govt track. Most of the mines used two separate tracks running beside the govt main lines to access the port. 

Here is one supplier of the private ones.

https://modelokits.com/nswgr-non-air-private-owners-coal-hopper-wagon-o-aust-kits/

cheers

Bob Comerford