7mm and larger Modelling Down Under - Layouts & Modelling projects

SMR CHRIS

I rather like to think I captured the essence - there's no pretence at scale here, just a case of "looks right".

Directional headlights both ends, F0, cab light on F1. We're having cousins over in a week or two, so I guess it'll get its annual run. Must dig out the Lima minerals. Not much risk of damage...

post-20369-0-13849100-1434912308_thumb.jpg

post-20369-0-98758200-1434912341_thumb.jpg

Best

Simon

• Like 7

I rather like to think I captured the essence - there's no pretence at scale here, just a case of "looks right".

Directional headlights both ends, F0, cab light on F1. We're having cousins over in a week or two, so I guess it'll get its annual run. Must dig out the Lima minerals. Not much risk of damage...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Best

Simon

Just Love it Simon

Great to see someone else shares my view that you can't take the hobby too serious, and the future of the hobby is to get interest from the younger ones when they are most receptive .

Great work with the Mavis lookalike if you put a valance over the axles box section of the chassis it would be even more convincing.

• 1 month later...

It's been a little while with not much done.

Today I started the foundations of a simple O scale model railway.

It is A Branch Line Terminus at one end the platform with bay and runaround loop and 2 sidings at the other end with a scenic section of 2.4m and total with sector of approx 3.8m

The track layout only has 2 points and will use the sector plate to represent the rest of the station yard approach and the sector plate will act as the loop points for making a runaround plus also allow acess to the bay platform.

As I said basic track plan but it will demonstrate with an Australian theme that you can have a standard gauge O scale model railway that is a manageable size..

The presentation will be in the form of a theatrical display Box style with full over head valance with integral LED lighting.

The valance is wider than the layout so the lighting will be on the sides of the models not over head creating a shadow on anything that is at the fron of the layout. A mistake I made with my On30 Model display. The models at the front were in shadow due to the lighting starting in the same plain as the layout front.

Anyway way some photos of the initial construction of the boards from this mornings start and tonight I put some track and stock in to see what it looked like with something in the box will now have to paint.

the upper box sections are removable as a assembly leaving just the layout base boards.

Also you can see in the photos my little green and red helpers who like to inspect everything

Work site inspection team, Wally (green). Moto (red/blue)

post-14985-0-95224000-1437832555.jpgpost-14985-0-19525200-1437832587.jpgpost-14985-0-14895900-1437832610.jpg

The passenger cars are where the platform will be the, station building will be a NSWGR PC3 Version

The platform road will take 3 passanger cars and have room to run around but a typical train will be just 2 and a loco for passenger service.

A bay platform will be at the back for a rail motor

post-14985-0-13280600-1437832642.jpg

This is site Forman Wally

post-14985-0-14728100-1437832665.jpg

This end will be the yard with space for 2 or 3 wagons (4 wheelers) in the track with the loco depending on the length of loco used and still be able to run around the arrived wagons or cars in the platform track.

The siding in the front of the yard should fit 7 or 8

post-14985-0-08335000-1437832697.jpg

Sector plate end of layout

post-14985-0-16589500-1437832715.jpg

• Like 9

With 3 coaches the maximum train length you can do some interesting little trains. A single HCX or CCA is quite prototypical for many lines, with an S truck and an LV for the "out-of" traffic.

Of course, other combinations such as a 2-car end platform set or CCA and FR (there is a photo of the latter on the Camden line) are possible.

Of course, variations and exceptions abound. Another good combination is a CX and LHG. No need to shunt the LHG guards van to the rear of the train, as it was quite common practice to have one or two coaches behind the guards van.

With 3 coaches the maximum train length you can do some interesting little trains. A single HCX or CCA is quite prototypical for many lines, with an S truck and an LV for the "out-of" traffic.

Of course, other combinations such as a 2-car end platform set or CCA and FR (there is a photo of the latter on the Camden line) are possible.

Of course, variations and exceptions abound. Another good combination is a CX and LHG. No need to shunt the LHG guards van to the rear of the train, as it was quite common practice to have one or two coaches behind the guards van.

Thanks Marty

You right on the money with the train options it doesn't take much research to find som interesting combos of small trains

I even found a photo with a C36 - CW - EHO as a train.

The other thought was to exhibit this I won't need to take too much stock, A CPH rail motor, a few loco's for variety, some goods wagons say 10 and 2 guards vans and 3 passenger cars of various types and you have a lot of combos.

Especially mixed trains as you suggested. And so could get away with just one of my stock boxes as I find transporting O scale. Rolling stock and locos can take up as much room as the layout if you want good sized trains.

This track layout makes you think carefully about what you need and the limits of the space also makes in theory for some interesting shunting to achieve in a minimum number of moves.

I look forward to seeing progress Chris.

regards

Bob

Looks like a good start. I'm looking forward to seeing this operational.

Thanks Bob and Ian, I'm also looking forward to it comming together I have had the Plan and box frame design drawn up for a couple of years so though was feeling Ok during the week so why not stop at the hardware shop and pick up the required materials and get started

I have orded the LED lighting and the bearing plates for the sector plate also found a sprung loaded ball style locating Assy that I am going to try as an alignment locator for the sector plate. When the parts turn up I will take some photos and post a little on the sector build

Sorry no work on it today had to go to the big smoke for a family birthday at Centre Point Tower "Sydney"

Trained it down to Sydney and back, also went into HobbyCo for the first time in years very disappointing just a toy train shop now

post-14985-0-67380500-1437908020.jpg

Location of lunch

post-14985-0-10860900-1437907708.jpg

The ever changing view revolving restaurant

post-14985-0-24769800-1437907962.jpg

post-14985-0-57757900-1437908208.jpg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 3

How about "horse and cart" near Young?

shgy.jpg

Yes that the type of train, over say 2or 3 movements of trains you could leave all the wagons in the scenic section and run the loco out with just the van and after a passenger service bring back the loco and van to reform a small goods train.

Re the photo interesting no end of train disc or triangle and no lamps to for end of train.

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 1

Had some paint mixed to paint the inside of the diorama style box (British Paints "i'm blue #283")

So after cutting in the entry hole for the trains from the sector plate a first cote was rolled on.

I have to say what a differance it makes from the bare plywood look.

This is just for a back ground sky for a photo back drop and to seal the timber the backscene photo is on back order so may be a while so the blue will be a good stop gap measure.

Also making the top removable comes in handy for painting

Entry hole and first paint.

post-14985-0-74542700-1438054176_thumb.jpg

The rest of the displays facias and valance will be painted in a low sheen black so the visual impact of the modelled Scene isn't lost by the surrounds or lack of.

I have also been thinking of trying a automotive style black carpet along the lower front edge for two reasons 1st it will soften the front visually and 2nd with some Velcro stuck on the back of the walk around throttles you could just place any where along the front to hold not have to locate a hook or pocket sticking out from the facia. It's just a thought at the moment will look at when get a bit closer to finishing this area of the boards. And I have a roll of carpet doing nothing.

Below are a few photos of short train combinations that would be suitable to run on this small layout.

all the locos & rolling stock in the photos are available.

Photos by The Late Weston Langford

32 class

post-14985-0-43012400-1438055316_thumb.jpg

Another like the photo shared by Martin (horse & cart)

30 class Arriving to collect some wagons

post-14985-0-28275500-1438055568.jpg

The wagons about to be picked up

post-14985-0-54534800-1438055589_thumb.jpg

32 class

post-14985-0-40589900-1438056155_thumb.jpg

Second cote time both tops painted post-14985-0-77844600-1438062639_thumb.jpg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 4

Hi Chris,

If you have an air brush, try some very light coats of pale grey/white from the "horizon" upwards. I've found that it gives a sense of distance. Works with emulsion paint!

HTH

Simon

Hi Chris,

If you have an air brush, try some very light coats of pale grey/white from the "horizon" upwards. I've found that it gives a sense of distance. Works with emulsion paint!

HTH

Simon

Thanks for the tip Simon.

A few more coats of the blue then once it's had a few days to dry will give it a go.

One of the early versions of the backdrop on Stringybark Creek had the gradiated white at the horizon to blue at the top. It was quite effective, with low hills painted at the bottom.

We've had several discussions about backdrops in the O gauge groups. Personally, I prefer to have a plain sky type backdrop with buildings, trees, etc at the front. If the backdrop is too busy it can detract from the main scene, particularly if you want to put emphasis on the foreground.

It's one of those things that really comes down to a mixture of personal preference and exactly what one is trying to achieve with a scene.

You might want to consider another carpet colour other than black Chris.  It shows up every speck of dust.

regards

Bob

Thanks Bob it was just one of my thoughts for the front as have a good size roll of this carpet Automotive carpet spare. May not do will see how it looks pinned up in place before making any commitment to secure it in place. If it got too dirty could always replace as I have so much of this carpet could cover 20 layouts worth.

The same goes for the black painting of the Surounds may show up any scuffs etc, will have to be careful how it is stored and transported.

I choose black for a theatre look the scene being brightly lit and the black around the outside

I am planning on installing some false Curtin drops at each end of the display area to hide the ends of the scene like at a theatre hiding the stage wings.

I also will have it quite high for viewing by average hight people.

The little people (young Modellers) can have a chair to stand on and view.

Sadly no work on the layout today Doctors and work cover legal stuff.

Two photos below first showing a similar style that I am intending to do a little different though

The second the typical display style that I feel won't do justice to this style of layout.

post-14985-0-92537700-1438130681.jpg

post-14985-0-70566800-1438130711.jpg

• Like 2

Got some more paint on the new layout modules in between other commitments.

With the black on the facias and rear of the modules it's really starting to look how I had planned when I first drew up the concept.

Was trying to get a plan of the track layout up but haven't been able to make friends with the planning software on the PC.

Visiting Leadie69 from RMWeb tomorrow and will see if he can quickly put one together.

Some poor iPad photos of the progress on the boards taken to night when I got home.

post-14985-0-00246800-1438256860_thumb.jpg

post-14985-0-20601900-1438256900_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Ok arrived home today to find the parcel post had been and I now have the Bearing plates needed for the sector plate.it is a 9" outer bearing and a 3" center bearing the idea is that you have a centre bolt that secures the whole lot together and then you can take a load up to the rateing of the outer bearing plate @340 kg should be more than enough for a 3 track O scale fiddle yard even with compensation for the load at the end of the rotating sector plate of three locos at one end whilst turning

post-14985-0-74361100-1438324583.jpg

Now that modules have the basic paint work done sat them together again and place some track in the display and some models to make sure it all still looked right. The need to have a roof in the boxes is evident in the photos as the light from above casts shadow of the beams that hold the front valance.

I have sourced a sheet of white corflute to form a light weight roof panel and will also reflect light from the LED strip lighting that is going to be fitted.

post-14985-0-73697100-1438324786.jpgpost-14985-0-67264300-1438324816.jpgpost-14985-0-82721900-1438324838.jpgpost-14985-0-92091800-1438324907.jpg

• Like 4

Tonight I hosted the the model railway group that SMR Chris and I belong to so I was able to run up a quick track plan of his latest layout on Anyrail.  The scenic section is 2.4 x .4 metres (8 feet x 1 foot 4 inches) with a sectorplate/train turntable at the right hand end.

post-15735-0-37059200-1438350397_thumb.jpg

I'm looking forward to operating this one soon.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Also you can see in the photos my little green and red helpers who like to inspect everything

Work site inspection team, Wally (green). Moto (red/blue)

attachicon.gif

Do the birds try to chew your baseboard materials?

Do the birds try to chew your baseboard materials?

Hi Budgie

The birds are fairly well trained not to eat the base boards but they will always want to help hold the drill or item you are using they had to be kept away when the paint went on as we would have had paint all through the house.

The birds talk and are also toilet trained so is rare to get a accidental deposit, never had on any of the layouts the birds are free flighted so can fly around as they please, It's really just like having a pair of small children around.

The parrots Wally -green & Moto -red, have been to several trains shows now and if we don't take the parrots along we get asked where they are, was even asked by the organiser of the biggest Show in Sydney to make sure the parrots were there on the last day of a three day show as members of the public were bringing family back to see the parrots and this would bump the attendance.  

Tonight I hosted the the model railway group that SMR Chris and I belong to so I was able to run up a quick track plan of his latest layout on Anyrail.  The scenic section is 2.4 x .4 metres (8 feet x 1 foot 4 inches) with a sectorplate/train turntable at the right hand end.

attachicon.gifchris.jpg

I'm looking forward to operating this one soon.

It shouldn't be to long before trains are running Ian I stopped at the Bunnings (hardware) and picked up some Cork for the underlay on the way to your place.

Ian we had a great night as always thanks I didn't operate the inglenook, I was hopeing some one else was going to take on the challenge but they all shy away from actualy running a train.

Leadie69's train room may be small but it has at least 4 layouts and plenty of entertainment.

Most of all a big thanks for the plan, Your a wiz with the Anyrail planning software it took seconds to do what I hadn't been able to do for a week. Have to admit I even struggled with getting the board size set up, so a huge thanks again you made it look easy.

The line arrives from the right under a part relief timber bridge to hide the end of the scenic area.

At the rear is a bay platform / extra siding centre is the platform / arrival line, forward of this is the goods loop with goods siding off this to the left will fit 7-8 4wheel trucks, the extension of the platform line is the loco release and will fit a loco plus 2or3, 4wheel goods trucks for extra opperational interest may put a loading point for a truck at the end.

The bay track will fit a rail motor several 4 wheel goods trucks or a passenger car for added operational interest.

post-14985-0-48731000-1438353513_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Interesting those bearings that you're using for the train turntable. I've bought two 3" lazy susan bearings, to make a small 175mm turntable like on Spinner's End:

Great value the bearings I got the lot for $15 they are full ball raced and good quality made in the U.S. Not China

The company is Ballarat bearings also on the e bay

Edited by SMR CHRIS