7mm and larger Modelling Down Under - Layouts & Modelling projects

SMR CHRIS

With the train turntable, I've seen plenty of them which basically used just a centre bolt (yes, a plain bolt) and had small wheels attached at the outer ends to support the weight - more or less in the same manner as a prototype turntable bridge.

Mind you, are wheels such a good idea? You don't necessarily want the turntable to swing too freely.

I found this blog post which you may also find interesting for this project:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1531/entry-13685-fiddleyard-turntable-beginnings/

Had a little bit of time today to make a start with the sector plate for the new small layout.

Orignaly it was intended for the sector plate to be 4ft or 1220mm long however after doing some measurements of the small train formations (small for Oscale) it was decided if the sector plate was a little longer it would give a bit more operational scope (now 5ft or 1524mm) luckily I had ordered several bearings at the same time from the supplier

post-14985-0-58602000-1438592169.jpg

so I swaped out the 9" one with a 12" ball roller bearing as this would spread the load over a larger surface area and it also get right to the sides of the plate giving maximum stability when rotating.

To mount the centre of the sector was found and a set of guide lines were drawn to the underside, also drilled some holes that line up with holes in the mounting plate for fittment of the mounting screws to the fiddle yard frame.

post-14985-0-36260900-1438593743.jpgpost-14985-0-99657100-1438593763.jpg

The sector plate was set up on the table to test before fittment to the frame, wow rotates very easly

Next was to load the sector plate with a average full load test, all good nice and stable if just way to free.

So I will use some melamine or plastic slider plates for some resistance and I found a sprung ball detent at the hardware for positive positioning at each track.

Fully loaded and still unexpectedly free rotating

post-14985-0-00904400-1438593785.jpg

3 train consists typical of NSWGR loaded on the sector plate the extra length will give more options for operating sessions, even though the layout is very simple and only has 2 points the sector act as several more and with some creative thinking can also represent not modelled parts of the station yard using a program and card system.

It's a very familiar style of layout in the UK but would have been rarely seen down under esp with NSW models instead of the more familiar UK out line.

post-14985-0-40012100-1438593807.jpg

Appologies for the old newspaper in the photos I was trying to keep glue and paint off the table top.

Will post the rest of the Sector install when the sector meets the frame. This will show how the second small 3" bearing is used to stabilise and create a load capacity on the main bearing.

• Like 10

Remember that with these turntables you have to curve the outer roads for them to line up. Sraw a straight line from the centre pivot to the outer edges of the turntable and this will give you the angle that the track jeeds to be curved at each end. If you can get the last 2 inches or so straight on that line it will vastly help with track allignment.

Remember that with these turntables you have to curve the outer roads for them to line up. Sraw a straight line from the centre pivot to the outer edges of the turntable and this will give you the angle that the track jeeds to be curved at each end. If you can get the last 2 inches or so straight on that line it will vastly help with track allignment.

Thanks Marty for the tip

I have built at least 10 of these rotating sectors in HO/OO so have the drill down, there is no track on the tray in the photos just the stock to make sure it all works with the extra heft of O scale, (Load Test) since I took the photos the ends of the sides have been curved off as well just for a little extra space.

Space is tight but that is the point of this layout get the maximum in the "space" that the average modeller could afford for a model railway and in O scale something not often seen in Australia with the ever shrinking homes in city's etc this layout will fit in a standard car garage or along a back room wall, the sector plate as built won't turn, but that part is for the layout being at show.etc no stock handling just turn the lot.

If I was building as just a home layout against a wall I would use a sliding fiddle yard with a loco release at the end, super simple to build.

When I have finished and exhibited this layout once or twice I will offer it up For Sale to make way for another project. Depending on the buyers requirements I may build that sliding fiddle yard to suit the location they intend to set the layout up in. My next planned project also needs a full rotating sector plate.

• Like 1

AHA! Finally found the photographic evidence that the independent FR carriages were used on the Camden line to supplement the CCA and FO end-platform cars. The presence of 3046 points to this being between 1957 and 1963, although I do have pictures in books about Camden which show the earlier 20 class double-heading with a 30 class, so there is some flexibility here. The CCA cars were introduced to the line around 1919, and were used right up to the closure of the line on Jan 1st, 1963.

The date of 1957 here would also suggest that by this stage the coaches were now in the post-1954 overall Indian Red Paint scheme, rather than the Tuscan and Russet which is a popular livery with modellers. As I recall, Tamiya "Mica Red" over light grey primer comes up pretty darn close to a slightly faded Indian red, and over white primer is closer to the red used for the earlier scheme.

Pansy+at+Camden+station.jpg

AHA! Finally found the photographic evidence that the independent FR carriages were used on the Camden line to supplement the CCA and FO end-platform cars. The presence of 3046 points to this being between 1957 and 1963, although I do have pictures in books about Camden which show the earlier 20 class double-heading with a 30 class, so there is some flexibility here. The CCA cars were introduced to the line around 1919, and were used right up to the closure of the line on Jan 1st, 1963.

The date of 1957 here would also suggest that by this stage the coaches were now in the post-1954 overall Indian Red Paint scheme, rather than the Tuscan and Russet which is a popular livery with modellers. As I recall, Tamiya "Mica Red" over light grey primer comes up pretty darn close to a slightly faded Indian red, and over white primer is closer to the red used for the earlier scheme.

Pansy+at+Camden+station.jpg

Top find Marty AAA+++. I had seen a similar photo of a passenger consist in Campbelltown yard and often wondered if it had been sent up the Camden line.

Good detective work now when someone says a CCA would never have ran with a Rcar we can wip out the photo and not just of cars stored in a yard.

If you find any more like that post them up.

Edited by SMR CHRIS

Don't forget that the KA Tramcars will still in use until about 1917 or 1919 (I think)

An extremely low-res image (sorry, can't find a better one) which shows, what I believe to be a Redfern Carriage on the end of this train:

image006.jpg

*edit* the image shows on my computer, but for those where it isn't working, the link to the image is this: http://www.heritagetourism.com.au/tyhm/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/image006.jpg

Edited by hartleymartin

Don't forget that the KA Tramcars will still in use until about 1917 or 1919 (I think)

An extremely low-res image (sorry, can't find a better one) which shows, what I believe to be a Redfern Carriage on the end of this train:

I think this is the image that Marty was posting but it won't display on my feed so it is uploaded as a photo below and a link to the page on the railway it is from

http://www.heritagetourism.com.au/the-glory-of-steam-pansy-the-camden-tram/

post-14985-0-64912200-1439017346.jpg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 1

With the 2SE (ie G type) bogie available from ModelOKits (formerly Waratah range) the Redfern cars would be a good project. Straight sides, easy enough to do in styrene. One might even to manage to pass itself off on a British Light Railway style layout! I can get drawings, but photos are a little scarce.

Got back to do some more on the fiddle yard Sector plate this afternoon.

To recap it's a fully rotating Fiddle yard at 5ft long designed to have 3 tracks on it.

It rotates on a 12" ball raced "lazy Susan" bearing with a second 3" central loading bearing.

Pictured below the 3" bearing about to be installed

post-14985-0-08218100-1439303302.jpg

I had a few ideas on how to help assist the table alignment from pins to latch bolts.

After doing some tests it was found that with the bearings the table was very free moving.

I also wanted to have some way of stopping the track hight from moving when the table was loaded with engines at the far end from the entry (the tables supporting bench work is 1-1/2 foot shorter than the table) the latch bolts would have solved this but only when the bolts were in so I came up with a soloution that did both,1 hold the position, 2 keep the table tracks nice and level.

post-14985-0-67315700-1439303669.jpg

I guess you could call it a "Tung and Groove" giving some friction to hold the position alined and also keeping the track hight correct no mater the weight positioning on the table and it is also possibly the most simple solution no extra moving parts. I still have a ball detent I may use for indexing without having to carefully visually look every time.

The Tung and groove

To stop it binding as the Tung enters the grove the edges are tapered top and bottom

post-14985-0-28332400-1439303692.jpg

So the Main 12" bearing can be load rated to its 300kg + it needs some center loading provided by the mentioned 3" bearing via a centre bolt and a timber off cut as per the photo below with two nuts on the bolt to prevent them undoing when the table is rotated should the bearing bind generally the bolt and nuts shouldn't move.

post-14985-0-20244300-1439304064.jpg

Just need to make 2 drop in gates to stop any stock from unwanted trips to the floor

With a bit of luck I will be able to start on the track install soon, after the paint dries a job for tomorrow.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update with the sector plate build had a bit on so things have been moving a little slow.

Paint now on and dry.

Track going down and a milestone moment in any layout build with a train moving under its own power even if it was just a test across the joint of the sector plate onto the layout with a temporary section of track with jumper wires. Still lots to do.

Some photos and a quick video.

post-14985-0-26106100-1440144277_thumb.jpgpost-14985-0-79051300-1440144646_thumb.jpgpost-14985-0-44310800-1440144909_thumb.jpg

Link to video

Until I get a bit more done to make the next instalment.

Happy modelling.

Edited by SMR CHRIS

After a long awaited trip to Hospital for more surgical procedures on my spine, I was able to get some more work done with the Layout basics.

More track down, loop track, bay track, the wiring started the first of the two points on the layout is fitted even got the Tortoise point motor fitted on the first point.

Marking out for point motor actuator rod.

post-14985-0-05642300-1440506680.jpg

post-14985-0-71974700-1440506861.jpg

Point fitted and bay platform track going in.

Green switch is the point control switch temporary fitted this facia will have tight weave automotive carpet fitted as a place to mount the walk around throttles with Velcro in any spot also I can mount DCC loco flash cards that are laminated and Velcro backed that I have for all locos with loco # and photo, plus function numbers etc listed when a loco is on the layout the card can be place on the front of the layout facia for easy reference makes it easy for new operators and first time DCC users.

post-14985-0-45509400-1440506548.jpg

Before fitting the point a Peco unit I made it fully DCC compatible unlinking the point blade rails from the frog and linking each to the correct wing rail plus I also soldered a wire link to the blades as the Peco fish plates used as a pivot point are not very good conductors when in DCC use.

To power the frogs on the two points on the layout I am using a Tam Valley duel frog Juicer this is fitted to the under side of the center base board and the wire for the frog of the point on the second board will be sent via the connecting plug the Frog Juicer connects to the DCC bus and automatically sets the points frogs to the correct polarity.

The duel frog juicers can also be used as a auto reverser by moving a jumper on the circuit board so I will also use one on the traverser so won't have to de power when it is turned no sound locos having to go through start up every time the traverser is moved as will all be always be live and as the first wheels cross onto the layout the table tracks will be set to the matching polarity.

The other bit of modification that has been done was to open up the entry hole to the layout by an inch so all three tracks on the layout will meet a track on the traverser when in the straight position. Orignaly it was to align to one only at a time. With it set up like this trains can enter the scenic section from all three track with out having to move the sector to aline the outer tracks just a little more practical.

post-14985-0-92573500-1440506786.jpg

For those interested the curve on the sector on the outer tracks will be equivalent to a Peco Point radius with a small section of straight just before the gap.

Wiring is going in the droppers for the three tracks have been soldered up and terminated wiring is colour coded I have placed droppers at both ends of the board that terminate at choc blocks ready to attach to the DCC bus.

post-14985-0-94848100-1440507012.jpg

Orange for the forward most rail in each section.

Black for the rear most rail.

Yellow for the frog wiring to frog juicer unit.

Point motors

Blue

White

Point motors will be switched by the green push switch seen on the front facia in a previous photo these will illuminate when the point is in the straight position.

On this board I only need to fit the section of track between the points but that will have to wait until that point is fitted on the next board.

I have pre installed the wiring and need some more of the gap masters I am using for the joints should hopefully arrive next week some time.

Also I'm only using the insulated rail joiners behind the frogs all other joints I am soldering and will fit dummy scale fish plates.

post-14985-0-33709100-1440507919.jpg

Until I get some more done for a update post

Happy Modelling

• Like 5

Small update on the layout build only had a little bit of time this weekend so made an effort to get the Wiring to a good stage of readiness for when the final track laying parts turn up in the post.

DCC bus line installed + linked to the track feeds on this board frog juicer works harness to the second board completed and made neatly so no hanging wires just a complete harness this caries 5 wires the DCC 2 wires frog power for the point on the next board 1 wire and the Aux power 2 wires for point motors and any on layout lighting or accessory.

Installed a DCC in point plug. also a Aux power in point and labelled both.

As I have several layouts the connection for track feed needs to be a quick plug in so I can use the DCC system from one of the other layouts

Also I have tried to make sure no wires are hanging down that could get caught when in transit or if any thing is stored under the layout.

Once the facia is complete will link in the point switch power wires and all done bar some more wire clips to keep it tidy.

If the track bits turn up this week may get to have a first opperating session to test everything at the end of the week. Finger's crossed.

post-14985-0-08010100-1440934750_thumb.jpg

Edit = attach a clear image

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 4

I thought it was about time I started a thread for my 7mm Modelling, and as I always seen to have several projects on the go I will try and update as I go and keep editing this first post with an index as required of the thread.

An introduction

SMR Chris

I live in the Big land Down Under, Australia

On the Central Coast of New South Wales.

Railway Modeller from Birth and just hit middle age.

Modelling interests are Varied and am what they call a rubber gauger but my primary interest is 7mm.

I was lucky enough to to grow up with a DAD who is a very good modeller and hopefully some of that rubbed off.

7mm modelling took over as the main focus about 12 -15 years ago until then it had been just dabbling the odd Slaters or Cooper craft kit and British Rail themed.

The local Australian modelling or NSWGR was very sparse, mostly dominated by corse scale or 3 rail models and the fine scale British just had the edge with product availability and still dose but the local market producers are working hard to rectify that with some nice models available and I was swayed by one of these and started modelling in both the local NSWGR and British Rail.

Lots of projects going and working hard to promote that with O scale you don't need a huge space to Be a Oscale modeller.

Now on to the modelling

To start quick video of a NSWGR train passing on the layout, East Maitland a Shelf style model railway designed to fit down a garage wall.

Sound & Lighting in the models are another area of the hobby that I find an interest.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Between my self and my Dad there are several layouts to run our Oscale models on.

Like Dibley seen in the photo below with a GWR mogul at the Loco facility.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The Railways sizes vary from super small for O scale Humpys Flat the back drop that wraps around the left end has a hole in it for a sector plate making a 3 track inglenook theme see build link in signature below.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

To a Railway that you can fit a lot more on this is Valley Yard, the yard part of what will eventually represent the rest of the main northern Lines for my representation of the Toronto a Branch of the NSWGR a unique lake side station and yard more on that project later.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Down Under We also like really big British Australian Loco's

Here's one under construction by my Dad form a DJH kit.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

For a final introduction to Down under 7mm modelling

Some more photos one from the layout East Maitland that I am giving a scenic upgrade NSWGR 35 class on a passenger train and the last a prototype photo of Toronto NSW

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Lake Side railway Toronto NSW Australia the yard the station is up the hill behind the photographer

Lots of research has gone into this model railway and some structures are built or under construction at the moment

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I hope you will find some interest in what is Down Under 7mm modelling.

And the many projects I will put up as they progress like this little one a conversion of a U.S. model to an Australian version.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

New small layout build underway.

Track plan

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Mock up of the basic track layout of the new layout

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Current Layout project is a scenic upgrade and some new track work on the East Maitland (photo above) Shelf with, O scale Model Railway and the planning of a Loco Shed scene for my Dad and I to display our large Collection of locos, inspired by Treads in "7mm modelling"

Feel free to comment and make suggestions as I put up projects.

You may have a better way of doing something than I have and if there is an easier or better way I would realy like to know.

Happy ModelOing

Dear Chris,

A good start to the thread. I look forward to learning a lot more about O gauge layout by following this thread.  Are all of your locos kits or do you have some RTR. If so what is the split in terms of TRT and kits. The historic photos provide a very good idea of the concept of the layout and provide a lot of back ground adding considerable interest to the thread. Thanks for the insight to the area. I look forward to continuing my exploration of the thread and then contributing with hopefully worth while comments.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71151-north-welsh-coast-railway-welsh-dragon-rail/page-1

The Toronto Branch Line.

Toronto is a BLT one of the most British style branch lines in the state of New South Wales

Starting as a Horse drawn tram way and gradually over its life became a railway that even Hosted a Royal Tour with the Royals alighting from a Launch after motoring around Lake Maquarrie onto the Royal Train that had been positioned in the yard next to the Lake side wharf.

The line was formally opened on 7th March, 1891 and closed just short of 100years service in 1990.

It was approximately 4 miles in lenght.

Running from the Main line junction station of Fassifern to the lake side of Toronto

Literally located on the side of the lake

A 30 class starts the runaround of its train.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

An early view Of Toronto looking towards the lake and rail yard the station is at the bottom of the cutting at the left of the photo

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Track plan of the final yard layout before it became just a terminating single Line platform

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The people of Toronto loved there Train

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Picnic day at Toronto

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Horse Drawn Toronto tram

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This little station and yard should make a nice layout.

I have assisted a friend build a O scale Diorama of the station area only but I am planning to have the station only partly compressed and the yard also selectively compressed.

The platform is around 15ft on its own at scale lenght in 7mm and was in reality capable of holding 12 to 14 passenger cars to Handel the Picnic day traffic when thousands of people would decend on this lakeside town requiring many trains to handel the loads of people.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This very British style Branch will make a great model with some interesting operations at least you can fill the yard with passenger trains and be true to Prototype.

More colour photos to come along with some notes on the goods and passenger traffic.

The historical photos above give a great feel for the atmosphere of the location at the time period captured. I think recreating a prototypical place allows for analysis of the quality of the layout and reduces panning issues. I shall continue to track your progress. I think seaside resort area provide a great atmosphere for a layout.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Chris,Just a query on the Krystal Kote. Did you get it from Spot liteRegards,Anthony Ashley

Hi Anthony great meeting you today at Johns place and seeing your model railway photos of Conway Castle.

I have had a quick read of your layout build will do a start to finish when I get a bit of time very interesting.

Re the Krystal kote yes spot lite was the place, got it when they had a sale on.

I found they have quite a few glues that are suitable for model railway use as well. Most are acid free that is a real bonus when working with model trains.

Dear Chris,

Are all of your locos kits or do you have some RTR. If so what is the split in terms of TRT and kits.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71151-north-welsh-coast-railway-welsh-dragon-rail/page-1

7 of my locos are RTR models Mostly the NSWGR Diesels plus 3 Steam the rest are scratch or kit built a lot of the NSWGR steam locos are from Ron Fox O gauge house kits.

So that = 23.33% r t r of the Australian locos, of the British locos only a Bachmann J94 and IXION Hudswell Clark.are RTR the rest are kits.

Edited by SMR CHRIS

It's been a little while since any progress with the new Railway build.

Whilst waiting I gave the sleepers a quick paint the rail and chairs also got some attention with weathering washed

Takes that plastic Peco look away.

Have been waiting for some parts to arrive in the post and they did today so got back to finish the track and wiring on the end Board once done it was on to wire up the point motor switches.

These are a push button switch and the switches light up when the points are set way from the normal position.

So a test run was made tonight

The first thing was to get the muliti meter out and check all the track Circuits no issues found everything was going to be live when the DCC was plugged in no shorts.

Plugged the quick connector for the DCC system in and powered up "All Good"

Next I placed my J94 on the track and it came to life with a hiss of steam.

The J94 negotiated the small amount of track work and points with no issues so it was on to some other locos they all ran fine the points work nicely, having modified them to be fully DCC compatible with the blades linked to the wing rails and the Frogs powered by a Tam Valley Frog Juicer resulting in no dead sections at anytime.

The points can be trailed through with a loco without a worry of shorting the DCC a big bonus with DCC and with heavy O scale locos if you are just running around a train you don't have to change the trailing point just run through it.

post-14985-0-79298100-1441811554.jpgpost-14985-0-43715400-1441811578.jpgpost-14985-0-18391600-1441811603.jpg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 5

Things are starting to roll on with the build.

Only trouble can't find quite a few of the kits and parts I had collected for this project.

Lost 2 hours looking for a kit today Still haven't found it.

Got some work done today started the Ballasting.

Placed the water jib and the water tank is borrowed from my other layout one of the kits I can't find.

Started the kit for the station primed the timber shell and test fitted the walls.

I'm currently building the timber face of the for the platform thinking may split the timber and put in a section of brick facing right in front of the station building as a quite a few of the NSW country stations were like this

post-14985-0-23128900-1441975767.jpg

post-14985-0-26281700-1441974684.jpg

The station test fit of walls and roof rafters.

post-14985-0-20619700-1441975063.jpg

Station platform edge.

post-14985-0-47911600-1441975335.jpg

The water tower is a stand in until I find the Waratah Kit to build the one for here I think I will make it a smaller version or build in Half relief and move it back closer to the back Scene

post-14985-0-22694200-1441975426.jpg

Hopefully I'm not boring any one with the build.

And thanks to all who have liked my posts.

Chris

Edit-- repeated the same photos, now deleted hopefully ?

post-14985-0-39801300-1441975402.jpg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 3

To get a feel what it will look like as the structures go in to the model scene I sat the station and lamp room on some scrap bits of wood and took some pics.

post-14985-0-36530300-1442014855.jpg

post-14985-0-54813700-1442014892.jpg

For the point mechanisms in model form I am using these KR models brass ground throws they do repute to be working so I will see if they will work when the point motor moves the blades by connecting them up to the Tie bar

May not work as will be reverse mechanical direction for the intended opperation of the throw they look nice any way

post-14985-0-63060600-1442014920.jpg

• Like 6

I'm not sure that those particular levers would be authentic for this yard arrangement. Having wandered around a couple of railway yards, it is more likely that for a track plan like yours that there would have been a small platform-mounted signal box controlling everything, or perhaps a couple of small lever-frames:

Gunning_0014.jpg

I always thought that the hold-down lever was an odd choice for KR Models. The weighted throw-over lever would have made more sense to me. Bergs Hobbies release a kit of these back in 2007. Not sure if they are still available, but you could always give them a call and see if they have any in stock. You'd be surprised what turns up in their basement!

http://bergshobbies.blogspot.com.au/2007/01/operating-brass-throwover-point-lever.html

IMG_4793.jpg

I'm not sure that those particular levers would be authentic for this yard arrangement. Having wandered around a couple of railway yards, it is more likely that for a track plan like yours that there would have been a small platform-mounted signal box controlling everything, or perhaps a couple of small lever-frames

I always thought that the hold-down lever was an odd choice for KR Models. The weighted throw-over lever would have made more sense to me. Bergs Hobbies release a kit of these back in 2007. Not sure if they are still available, but you could always give them a call and see if they have any in stock. You'd be surprised what turns up in their basement!

Marty rule 1 it's my railway.

There's nothing prototypical about it anyway it's just a representation of a very generic NSW style and look station.

With such small facilities the station building is a bit of over kill as is the lamp room/men's Toilet etc.

As I said its my railway in force Rule 1 and I'm not going to go looking for more bits.

By the way you have been quiet lately how are you going ??

Have you made a start on that small layout you have always been going to build??

I'm going to be at the NMRA convention next weekend are you going?

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 1

I acknowledge the use of Rule #1 of model railways. The KR Models kits do make up into very nice point levers and they can be made working, but you may find that you need to spring the point blades across for them to work reliably. On Stringybark Creek we only ever used them as cosmetic items.

Most of my modelling time falls around Late January through February each year. I sometimes get time during July, but this year I've had a string of gigs (I'm a church organist) including three weddings as of this weekend. My Sunday afternoons have been taken up with another gig as the main conductor of the Byrd Consort. Our big performance is on September 27th in Parramatta. I don't see there being much time for model trains until at least December!